Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > A Question of Legality
A Question of Legality Post your legal questions here (general, nothing of a personal nature)

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 370
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 262
sharkman29 250
George Spelvin 244
Top Posters
DallasRain70373
biomed160247
Yssup Rider59828
gman4452859
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47416
pyramider46370
bambino40271
CryptKicker37060
Mokoa36482
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35112
Mojojo33117

Old 08-15-2014, 08:52 AM   #1
Brooke Wilde
Upgraded Female Account

User ID: 4781
My Bio Page
My ECCIE Reviews
Question Simple (yet boring) estate question

My grandfather passed away in October 2013. He split everything 50/50 between his 2 sons and made my dads brother the executor of the will.

The last time my dad heard from his brother was in December of 2013 and he told him that the estate will be finalized by late May or early June, well here it is mid-August and my uncle has made no contact with my dad what-so-ever.

My dad and his brother have no relationship at all, so they never talk and I am getting concerned that my uncle may have something shady up his sleeve.

I told my dad to directly call the estate attorney himself and find out what is happening, so he did that, but all the estate attorney would say was that my dad needed to call his brother, well my dad has been calling his brother, for over 6 weeks, and he is simply avoiding my dads calls.

Can one of you wonderful legal eagles out there tell me what options we have?

I thought the estate attorney could divulge information to my dad since the will is split 50/50
between him and his brother, but the way the attorney is making it seem, he can only divulge information to my uncle?

Thanks in advance for your time and replies,
Brooke
Brooke Wilde is offline   Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 12:36 PM   #2
Cpalmson

Encounters: 98

Your dad needs to hire his own probate attorney. I know that sucks, but getting another attorney involved to protect your dad's interests is really the only recourse available-- especially if you think shenanigans are involved at the other end.
Cpalmson is offline   Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 12:56 PM   #3
Unique_Carpenter
Off clock with a Cowgirl

Encounters: 89

Perhaps see if there's any publically available documents that have been filed with the probate judge at whichever court house.
And your assumption about why the atty will not talk to your dad is valid.
Unique_Carpenter is offline   Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 01:25 PM   #4
Brooke Wilde
Upgraded Female Account

User ID: 4781
My Bio Page
My ECCIE Reviews

Thanks gents.

All of this is taking place in NJ. My grandfather had his will drawn up in NJ, he passed away in NJ and both my uncle and the attorney are in NJ, while me and my dad are in TX.

Don't know if that makes any difference, but I thought I'd mention it.
Brooke Wilde is offline   Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 02:54 PM   #5
Unique_Carpenter
Off clock with a Cowgirl

Most NJ Probate/Surrogate County Courts are on-line.
And, I have a few NJ attys on file.
Just need the "county"
PM if you wish.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:10 AM   #6
jframe2
Valued Poster

In most cases the attorney that drew up the will (I presume this is what you mean by "estate attorney") is legally prohibited from divulging information related to the execution/terms of a will other than referring the questions to the Executor, since you have one in this case.

It can be maddening in cases such as yours, unfortunately.

The advice given previously is pretty accurate, start with your local probate clerks and see if anything has been filed. These are public docs and can be requested by anyone.

I have had some personal experience in this area (family members not talking and being across the country), and I would say that if you can not find anything on file ( and check all possible county offices where the will might be filed) send registered mail to the estate attorney asking for an "accounting" be provided by the Executor. In most cases this may get the ball rolling.

Hiring your own attorney, local to the area of the Executor, is a possibility if you feel it is worth it.

Good luck ....
jframe2 is offline   Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 09:46 PM   #7
Golfcart
Registered Member

Go to the probate clerk at the courthouse and ask to see the official file. Then ask the probate clerk to explain the documents found inside the file using layman's terms. Note if the file shows that the executor posted a fidelity bond.

Then ask the probate clerk to note and explain anything that should be in the official file at this point that's not there. That could lead to the probate clerk getting the judge to order the executor to file an interim report and accounting plus an explanation why the estate is not yet postured for a final account.
Golfcart is offline   Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 07:24 AM   #8
Unique_Carpenter
Off clock with a Cowgirl

Duplicated, opps, need coffee.
Old 08-23-2014, 08:12 AM   #9
Unique_Carpenter
Off clock with a Cowgirl

Golfcart:
Did you miss the part where Brooke and her dad are in Texas and the case is in NJ?
Thus, online look-up is the only quick reference. My concern would be if the case is actually filed. Which would be seen, or not, depending on if that particular NJ county is on-line with that data. Once filed, there's a judge involved.
Everyone above does suggest trying to obtain copies of the publically filed documents.
Every state/province where I've seen this stuff has a requirement for an "accounting". However, some states only have a requirement for a "final" accounting, not interim ones. Note that only beneficiaries will receive it. And, depending on the state, sometimes the "accounting" or the will, or other documents, that end up in public record copies have data redacted. Last, if there's real estate or other assets that need to be sold, more often than not, that sales process can take a while.
Old 08-23-2014, 08:14 AM   #10
Audrey Astor
Denver/Kansas City

User ID: 112407
My Bio Page
My ECCIE Reviews

It is a freaking nightmare when the will/estate are in one state and you are in another. I would let Unique Carpenter try to get you some names. If your uncle was court appointed the Special Administrator instead of it being appointed joint administrator, that may be your problem. Hence your dad needing his own attorney.

Dealing with estates only goes to show how many really incompetent ignorant people there really are out there. It's depressing.

If anyone knows a good estate Attorney in Denver, I could use the name. I have not been successful is finding one I'm comfy with.
Audrey Astor is offline   Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 08:32 AM   #11
Unique_Carpenter
Off clock with a Cowgirl

Only have a real property atty in Colorado on file.
But yes a few various in NJ including a couple estate attys. Northern NJ though.
An entire shiver of various sharks in my neck of the ocean.

Primary item is explore on-line to applicable courthouse to see if a case is open. If open, perhaps a bit of comfort, as there's a judge, and procedures will be followed. And repeating the mantra, try obtain copies of public documents. Once at this stage, then a cost/benefit decision of your own atty. However, note that any expenses that the uncle incurs to "defend" the probate estate, most likely will become expenses of the estate, thus reducing the final payout.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:02 AM   #12
Golfcart
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unique_Carpenter View Post
Golfcart:
Did you miss the part where Brooke and her dad are in Texas and the case is in NJ?
Thus, online look-up is the only quick reference.
Yes, I missed knowing Brooke and her dad are in a state remote from where the estate is pending. I read Brooke's initial post only and jumped straight to my reply.

Brooke needs to call the probate clerk at the county seat in NJ where she thinks her grandfather's estate is pending. That should be the county where her grandfather was a resident on the date of death. Give the clerk her grandfather's full name and date of death. Ask the clerk if an estate is pending. If so, ask for the case number and write it down. Also ask an estimate of the cost to copy the case file and mail it to her her (that's the contents of the file folder) and the court's docket sheet. Brooke can send the clerk the funds to receive those papers. With a small cost Brooke and her dad can take the file to an attorney local to them to make sense out of the situation.

Yes, she can save the copy cost if the entire file is on line. In most cases only the docket sheet is on line. A docket sheet would not be meaningful other than confirm that an estate is open at the court house. Brooke would still need the file to find out what happened. An attorney local to Booke experienced in estates with a copy of the entire file could answer every question Brooke asks. As always, there are questions we ask and questions we don't know to ask. Hence, there is no substitute for the court's file.
Golfcart is offline   Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 12:31 AM   #13
TexTushHog
Professional Tush Hog.

Encounters: 7

Where in NJ?
TexTushHog is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women