Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > Diamonds and Tuxedos
Diamonds and Tuxedos Glamour, elegance, and sophistication. That's what it's all about here in ECCIE's newest forum which caters to those with expensive tastes, lavish lifestyles, and an appetite for upscale entertainment.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 373
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 263
sharkman29 251
George Spelvin 248
Top Posters
DallasRain70421
biomed160589
Yssup Rider59941
gman4452935
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47556
pyramider46370
bambino40328
CryptKicker37083
Mokoa36486
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35390
Mojojo33117

Old 04-22-2011, 06:27 AM   #1
Sensia
Account Disabled

User ID: 6814
My ECCIE Reviews
Default Need a little advice on "money investment" ie; Roth's, IRA's

I have never been that good at determining where it is best to put my hard earned money. I now have a nice bit saved, and I am trying to determine where is a good place to save/invest it. I was thinking of a Roth account or something along those lines. But since this is not my area of expertise, I thought I would ask others here.

If anyone has any good advice or knowledge on such matters I would love the input.
Sensia is offline   Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 06:33 AM   #2
discreetgent
Valued Poster

Location: Even with a gorgeous avatar: Happiness is ephemeral

A Roth account is just a vehicle to shield it from taxes, which for retirement is an excellent move. Most Roth accounts have many investment options and that is the key.
discreetgent is offline   Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 06:37 AM   #3
Sensia
Account Disabled

User ID: 6814
My ECCIE Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by discreetgent View Post
A Roth account is just a vehicle to shield it from taxes, which for retirement is an excellent move. Most Roth accounts have many investment options and that is the key.
I am wondering what the long term % rate is comparable to other types of investments. Is the Roth account only subject to taxes if broken? I am assuming yes. Any other investment venues that might make for a better place to put my money?
Sensia is offline   Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 06:45 AM   #4
discreetgent
Valued Poster

You pay taxes when you withdraw at retirement age, the assumption is that you will be in a lower tax bracket at that point and you accumulate over time without a tax burden. Long term % will depend on what investments you make within the Roth plan, the Roth plan in itself doesn't change that.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:04 AM   #5
Marshall
BANNED

Quote:
You pay taxes when you withdraw at retirement age, the assumption is that you will be in a lower tax bracket at that point and you accumulate over time without a tax burden. Long term % will depend on what investments you make within the Roth plan, the Roth plan in itself doesn't change that.

You are confusing a Roth IRA and a traditional IRA.....limit your advice to things you know.....let me take over and give the correct advice.......

With a Roth IRA you have to have earned income.....you pay taxes on the money you put in and take it out tax-free [tax free appreciation!].......

If you don't have an investor's disposition and at least 15-20 hours a week to research investments, then buy an index fund for your IRA.......
Marshall is offline   Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:10 AM   #6
pjorourke
Valued Poster

Encounters: 1

Quote:
No, in a traditional IRA, the contribution is excluded from income and what you take out in retirement is taxed -- hopefully at a lower rate. But the Roth is different. There is no deduction/exclusion from income for what goes in and what comes out is not taxable income (under current law).
pjorourke is offline   Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:34 AM   #7
Marshall
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjorourke View Post
No, in a traditional IRA, the contribution is excluded from income and what you take out in retirement is taxed -- hopefully at a lower rate. But the Roth is different. There is no deduction/exclusion from income for what goes in and what comes out is not taxable income (under current law).
You're a little late, I already cleaned up DG's messy advice..........
Marshall is offline   Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:42 AM   #8
Guest032213-02
Account Disabled

Encounters: 27

Your Mattress. Won't make any money, but keeps it safe, and if an emergency pops up(i.e. your next appointment), there it is!
Guest032213-02 is offline   Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:00 AM   #9
pjorourke
Valued Poster

Encounters: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
You're a little late, I already cleaned up DG's messy advice..........
Life intruded before I could hit enter.
pjorourke is offline   Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 02:31 PM   #10
gulflover
Valued Poster

Encounters: 29

There are also limits to the amount you can contribute that depend on age and whether or not you're self-employed. If self employed, you can contribute a good deal more to a self-employed retirement plan (SEP). Whoever you invest with should be able to tell you what limits you're facing.
gulflover is offline   Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 02:50 PM   #11
atlcomedy
Valued Poster

before you get into all these plans (& as some have alluded to indirectly), is this money you may need in the short term?????

the conventional wisdom seems to be keep at least 2-3 months of expenses in something liquid like a savings/checking account even if the return is small.

on the otherhand if it means eating Ramen Noodles never pass up a company match if it is significant
atlcomedy is offline   Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 04:03 PM   #12
discreetgent
Valued Poster

What they said, appreciate the correction.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:29 PM   #13
Guest102513-1
Account Disabled

Also, if memory serves me correctly, in either Roth or IRA...if you take out ANY money before retirement age, some of that becomes taxable plus a 10% penalty.

I would suppose any post-tax contributions would not be subject to income tax, if you withdraw early...i.e. Roth contributions??
Guest102513-1 is offline   Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 06:53 PM   #14
I B Hankering
Valued Poster

Encounters: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkmaster View Post
Also, if memory serves me correctly, in either Roth or IRA...if you take out ANY money before retirement age, some of that becomes taxable plus a 10% penalty.

I would suppose any post-tax contributions would not be subject to income tax, if you withdraw early...i.e. Roth contributions??
There is a 10% penalty on the amount withdrawn on an IRA before age 59.5. I am not sure about Roth accounts.
I B Hankering is offline   Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:30 PM   #15
gulflover
Valued Poster

Encounters: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by I B Hankering View Post
There is a 10% penalty on the amount withdrawn on an IRA before age 59.5. I am not sure about Roth accounts.
They exist on Roth accounts too, except you can subtract your basis in the account from the withdrawal. I can personally attest to that one (the account had lost a little bit of money from what was put in and I paid no taxes).

There are 11 exceptions to the early distribution penalty, only 4 of them are at all common. I got to use 3 on one tax return this year, which was exciting to me.

But yes. When the feds say don't withdraw before 59 1/2 they mean it. If you are going to set aside, make sure you won't ever ever need that money for anything other than a medical catastrophe or college or to buy a house for the first time (3 of the exceptions).
gulflover is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women