Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > Diamonds and Tuxedos
Diamonds and Tuxedos Glamour, elegance, and sophistication. That's what it's all about here in ECCIE's newest forum which caters to those with expensive tastes, lavish lifestyles, and an appetite for upscale entertainment.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 373
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 262
sharkman29 250
George Spelvin 246
Top Posters
DallasRain70403
biomed160460
Yssup Rider59894
gman4452915
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47502
pyramider46370
bambino40306
CryptKicker37078
Mokoa36485
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35300
Mojojo33117

Old 03-05-2011, 05:21 AM   #1
Iaintliein
Valued Poster

Encounters: 2
Default Afghanistan, A Photo Essay

An interesting article. Many, myself included, have speculated that "nation building" is a doomed enterprise in a "nation" consisting largely of tribal villages in isolated valleys. While I'm still not convinced this view is wrong, I readily admit my ignorance about what Afghanistan once was. . . and not that long ago.

Enjoy.

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/article...in_afghanistan
Iaintliein is offline   Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 05:50 AM   #2
charlestudor2005
Valued Poster

Encounters: 8

If anyone in interested in reading some historical fiction that will give you the flavor of Afghanistan (and "a 1200 A.D. mentality"), I suggest James Michener's Caravans. And IAL, your article is quite interesting.

The beginning couple paragraphs of the IAL article.
Quote:
On a recent trip to Afghanistan, British Defense Secretary Liam Fox drew fire for calling it "a broken 13th-century country." The most common objection was not that he was wrong, but that he was overly blunt. He's hardly the first Westerner to label Afghanistan as medieval. Former Blackwater CEO Erik Prince recently described the country as inhabited by "barbarians" with "a 1200 A.D. mentality." Many assume that's all Afghanistan has ever been -- an ungovernable land where chaos is carved into the hills. Given the images people see on TV and the headlines written about Afghanistan over the past three decades of war, many conclude the country never made it out of the Middle Ages.
But that is not the Afghanistan I remember. I grew up in Kabul in the 1950s and '60s. When I was in middle school, I remember that on one visit to a city market, I bought a photobook about the country published by Afghanistan's planning ministry. Most of the images dated from the 1950s. I had largely forgotten about that book until recently; I left Afghanistan in 1968 on a U.S.-funded scholarship to study at the American University of Beirut, and subsequently worked in the Middle East and now the United States. But recently, I decided to seek out another copy. Stirred by the fact that news portrayals of the country's history didn't mesh with my own memories, I wanted to discover the truth. Through a colleague, I received a copy of the book and recognized it as a time capsule of the Afghanistan I had once known -- perhaps a little airbrushed by government officials, but a far more realistic picture of my homeland than one often sees today.
charlestudor2005 is offline   Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 07:26 AM   #3
Iaintliein
Valued Poster

I think both views have merit. Note that all of the photos in the story are from Kabul. It is likely the outlying areas haven't changed appreciably.

While my son definitely can exhibit a temper, at his core, to me, he is one of the gentlest souls I know; with a passion for literature above all else. As he prepares to go to this hell hole of a country I'm reminded of one of the few things he said about his time in Iraq.

"You can't help but feel sorry for the people, your heart goes out to the kids, but in the end, they live to kill each other, and there isn't anything we can do about it."

Can mankind ever outgrow our collective childhood myths? If not, I don't see a very bright future for Afghanistan. . . or us.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:34 AM   #4
I B Hankering
Valued Poster

Encounters: 9
Default and there is this legacy

If your officer's dead and the sergeants look white,
Remember it's ruin to run from a fight:
So take open order, lie down, and sit tight,
And wait for supports like a soldier.

Wait, wait, wait like a soldier . . .

When you're wounded and left on Afghanistan's plains,
And the women come out to cut up what remains,
Jest roll to your rifle and blow out your brains
An' go to your Gawd like a soldier.

Go, go, go like a soldier,
So-oldier of the Queen!

The Young British Soldier by Rudyard Kipling
I B Hankering is offline   Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 07:41 AM   #5
WTF
Lifetime Premium Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by I B Hankering View Post
If your officer's dead and the sergeants look white,
Remember it's ruin to run from a fight:
So take open order, lie down, and sit tight,
And wait for supports like a soldier.

Wait, wait, wait like a soldier . . .

When you're wounded and left on Afghanistan's plains,
And the women come out to cut up what remains,
Jest roll to your rifle and blow out your brains
An' go to your Gawd like a soldier.

So-oldier of the Queen!

The Young British Soldier by Rudyard Kipling
Not sure if that is what a Father wants to read as his son prepares to head to this hell hole I B.

Iaintlien, I am not a religious man but my prayers are with your son's (and all sons and daughters) safe return from that region.
WTF is offline   Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 07:48 AM   #6
Iaintliein
Valued Poster

Thanks WTF,
As per the poem, I am a realist, and, as I said, my son's greatest love is literature, so I'm sure he's read and appreciated this one as well. We do ill service to minimize the horror of war, to spare feelings and insulate the people from it. When, after 9/11, Bush essentially told the nation t go shopping, I was beyond appalled.

May they ALL come home safe.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:52 AM   #7
I B Hankering
Valued Poster

Encounters: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTF View Post
Not sure if that is what a Father wants to read as his son prepares to head to this hell hole I B.

Iaintlien, I am not a religious man but my prayers are with your son's (and all sons and daughters) safe return from that region.
You're right. Evidently, I was searching for the poem as Iaintlien was making his second post. But I've been there, and I've seen the glimmer of modernism mixed with the ancient ways.

@ Iaintlien - My hopes and prayers are that your son - everybody's sons and daughters - safely return home.
I B Hankering is offline   Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 07:59 AM   #8
pjorourke
Valued Poster

Encounters: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlestudor2005 View Post
If anyone in interested in reading some historical fiction that will give you the flavor of Afghanistan (and "a 1200 A.D. mentality")
Or as they call it -- last week.
pjorourke is offline   Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 08:10 AM   #9
WTF
Lifetime Premium Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaintliein View Post
Thanks WTF,
As per the poem, I am a realist, and, as I said, my son's greatest love is literature, so I'm sure he's read and appreciated this one as well. We do ill service to minimize the horror of war, to spare feelings and insulate the people from it. When, after 9/11, Bush essentially told the nation t go shopping, I was beyond appalled.

May they ALL come home safe.

Quote:
You're right. Evidently, I was searching for the poem as Iaintlien was making his second post. But I've been there, and I've seen the glimmer of modernism mixed with the ancient ways.

@ Iaintlien - My hopes and prayers are that your son - everybody's sons and daughters - safely return home.

Excellent replies from two fine men located slightly to the right of me. First beer on me should we ever meet up!
WTF is offline   Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 12:35 PM   #10
Sa_artman
Valued Poster

Encounters: 7

Quote:

You know, the feeling I got from my stay was that no matter what we do or don't do, it will revert to the way it's been for a thousand years. As a person intrigued by culture and history, it's appalling the first time you see a two thousand year old structure laying in ruins with people using the stones without a care for the past. I'm not as optimistic about any (if any) positive changes staying put.

My thoughts are with your son Iaintlien. Thanks for the link.
Sa_artman is offline   Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 03:15 PM   #11
WTF
Lifetime Premium Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sa_artman View Post
You know, the feeling I got from my stay was that no matter what we do or don't do, it will revert to the way it's been for a thousand years. As a person intrigued by culture and history, it's appalling the first time you see a two thousand year old structure laying in ruins with people using the stones without a care for the past. I'm not as optimistic about any (if any) positive changes staying put.

My thoughts are with your son Iaintlien. Thanks for the link.
I agree artman...we'd have to stay there 100 years to change their mindset and even then all it would be is a welfare state.
WTF is offline   Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 04:27 PM   #12
gnadfly
Account Disabled

I've never been to Kabul but I stared at a 1960 picture of it for 30 minutes every month for more than 5 years as my Paki barber cut my hair. I thought the guy was Hispanic initially. He'd tell me what it was like growing up there before the Russians and Taliban took over. After 9/11 he tried to get hired by the CIA. Then he was gone for a few months. What happened, I asked? He was watching an Afghani report on TV about a teenager who was hung by the Taliban. He realized that it was his cousin so he went back home. Everytime I see an Afghan report I can't help but think of "The Man Who Would Be King."

They won't be able to stay in Medieval Times forever. The internet, cable tv and American culture will eventually win out. The Libyans are about to "de-friend" Khaddafi. It may not happen today but it will eventually. Muslims will see what other people have and can do and will want the same for themselves. That's why the mullahs in Iran are building a bomb. You can't firewall off human desire.

Iaintlien, good luck to your son. In my correspondence to every soldier, I tell them "If you make a mistake, make sure it is in your favor." Fuck the ROE if need be. I will let my congressman know not to hold it against you.
gnadfly is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women