Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > Diamonds and Tuxedos
Diamonds and Tuxedos Glamour, elegance, and sophistication. That's what it's all about here in ECCIE's newest forum which caters to those with expensive tastes, lavish lifestyles, and an appetite for upscale entertainment.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 370
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 260
sharkman29 250
George Spelvin 243
Top Posters
DallasRain70365
biomed160186
Yssup Rider59821
gman4452823
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47410
pyramider46370
bambino40246
CryptKicker37051
Mokoa36482
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35112
Mojojo33117

Old 01-12-2010, 08:57 AM   #1
Ansley
Pending Age Verification

User ID: 499
My ECCIE Reviews
Default Leaving This World Behind

For the last couple of months I have had lots of thoughts and questions about leaving this business. For now I will stick to this one question.

To a potential employer, how do I account for the last few years that I haven't been working a real job?
Ansley is offline   Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:08 AM   #2
pjorourke
Valued Poster

Encounters: 1

A rich uncle?
pjorourke is offline   Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:12 AM   #3
Claudia Mara
Pending Age Verification

User ID: 2990

You owned and operated your own successful travel/concierge business?
Claudia Mara is offline   Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:15 AM   #4
Ansley
Pending Age Verification

User ID: 499
My ECCIE Reviews

Very nice to see you Eve.
Ansley is offline   Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:17 AM   #5
guest051510-1
Miss America

User ID: 3339

House wife to a live-in boyfriend.
guest051510-1 is offline   Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:28 AM   #6
ferdburf
Valued Poster

Encounters: 27

Turn the negative into a positive. Tell them, "I've taken a few years off to decide what I really want to do with my life. I've decided I want to be in 'this' business and I want to work for 'your' company, and here's why" . . .
ferdburf is offline   Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:11 AM   #7
Carrie Hillcrest
Pending Age Verification

User ID: 167
My ECCIE Reviews

I think I speak for all of us when I chastise you for giving us heart palpitations with that subject line! Gah. Glad to see you're sticking around for at least a little while longer.

I like ferdburf's reply. It's honest without being too honest, and it serves as a good way to redirect the conversation back to stuff that makes you look like an awesome hire.
Carrie Hillcrest is offline   Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:21 AM   #8
atlcomedy
Valued Poster

It depends on what you want to do. For some things, it really is tough to explain a gap. Others, employers really don't care. This is one area where women have it better than men. The idea of being a stay at home wife/partner/mom even a caregiver to an elderly/disabled family member plays well. Not so much for guys. I would say something vague about "taking care of family" & leave it at that.

There is probably a desire to invent a story. Maybe a fictional small business. But, the details of a story have a way of getting complicated or unraveling & in many cases you can be fired for cause years later for making false statements in the pre-employment process.
atlcomedy is offline   Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:21 AM   #9
npita
Lifetime Premium Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansley View Post
For the last couple of months I have had lots of thoughts and questions about leaving this business. For now I will stick to this one question.

To a potential employer, how do I account for the last few years that I haven't been working a real job?
You worked contract jobs doing something you know enough about to be convincing and for which your list of clients is confidential (as part of your contract.)
npita is offline   Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:26 AM   #10
looiecypher
Account Disabled

Encounters: 94

You took some time off after saving some money to clear your head so you could be fresh for the new career you hoped to begin soon.
You did some travelling,etc.You felt you needed some down time for yourself.
I would think just about anyone could understand these reasons.
looiecypher is offline   Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:31 AM   #11
guest041110
Account Disabled

Encounters: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferdburf View Post
Turn the negative into a positive. Tell them, "I've taken a few years off to decide what I really want to do with my life. I've decided I want to be in 'this' business and I want to work for 'your' company, and here's why" . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrie Hillcrest View Post

I like ferdburf's reply. It's honest without being too honest, and it serves as a good way to redirect the conversation back to stuff that makes you look like an awesome hire.
Ansley,

Both Ferdburf and Carrie give great answers as do the others but I think what Carrie and Ferdburf wrote is the best approach. Having been in corporate America for a long time myself, I have found it’s best to answer the questions of why you have not been around while taking a minimalist approach to those answers. Emphasizing what Ferdburf and Carrie posted is going to serve you the best if you re-enter the real world after a long absence.

Above all else, be positive, enthusiastic and honest without too much self-disclosure in your response to the prospective employer. Also sincerity in your answers to them is critical. In the corporate world, people have good BS detectors just as most in the P4P world do however the rules of the real world are different than the P4P world.

Good luck with whatever you do!
guest041110 is offline   Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:47 AM   #12
Guest012211-3
Account Disabled

User ID: 2676
My ECCIE Reviews

I struggle with the same issue. I will be entering the RW in May, and you should see my CV! I focused on Massage therapy, Salon/Make-up Artist, and leadership skills, LOL. I look like a royal twit! Fortunately I will be in the restaurant business, so I don't think they ask too many questions. However, explaining how I have the funds to move and pay for school is a very tricky situation.
Guest012211-3 is offline   Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 11:11 AM   #13
ElisabethWhispers
Female

User ID: 863
My Bio Page
My ECCIE Reviews

Women can get away with being out of the workforce for a limited or not-so-limited time a lot easier than men can. The "I had a relationship" type of response sounds good to me.

I wouldn't just go on and on about it.

I've thought about this as well and the "I've lived on savings" still sounds to me like the savings ran out and now you have to work. Which could be the truth for many applicants!

All good advice above, I believe!

Oh ... and it IS nice to see you around, Eve!!! Hope things are going well for you!!!

Warmly,
Elisabeth
ElisabethWhispers is offline   Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 12:04 PM   #14
Happy Diver
Lifetime Premium Access

Encounters: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole Preston View Post
I struggle with the same issue. I will be entering the RW in May, and you should see my CV! I focused on Massage therapy, Salon/Make-up Artist, and leadership skills, LOL. I look like a royal twit! Fortunately I will be in the restaurant business, so I don't think they ask too many questions. However, explaining how I have the funds to move and pay for school is a very tricky situation.
You won't have any trouble. Restaurant business is full of people with "alternative" pasts. It's one of the few professions where you can jump in and be a star in a few years and no one cares about what you were "back when".
Happy Diver is offline   Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 12:14 PM   #15
atlcomedy
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElisabethWhispers View Post

I wouldn't just go on and on about it.
Whatever tact you take, don't ramble on about. Have your answer ready, give it & move on.

Just my 2 cents, but the whole "take some time to find myself/see the world" tact sets off my BS detector if it is more than a couple of months.
atlcomedy is offline   Quote