Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > Diamonds and Tuxedos
Diamonds and Tuxedos Glamour, elegance, and sophistication. That's what it's all about here in ECCIE's newest forum which caters to those with expensive tastes, lavish lifestyles, and an appetite for upscale entertainment.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 370
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 262
sharkman29 250
George Spelvin 244
Top Posters
DallasRain70384
biomed160299
Yssup Rider59854
gman4452866
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47433
pyramider46370
bambino40285
CryptKicker37064
Mokoa36485
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35162
Mojojo33117

Old 07-13-2011, 10:11 PM   #1
NinaBrooke
Account Disabled

User ID: 59709
Default Meditation and Orgasm feel the same to the brain

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_896692.html

Spiritual teachers have been on to this for years, but research is now showing that orgasm and meditation create much the same effect in our brains.

According to a recent article in Scientific American, both meditation and orgasm decrease our sense of self-awareness. Bliss, says author Nadia Webb, whether through the experience of meditative contemplation or through the bodily experience of sex, "shares the diminution of self-awareness, alterations in bodily perception and decreased sense of pain." In other words, both experiences lead to a temporary stoppage in the incessant flow of our internal commentary. Even if for only a few minutes, we are able to see ourselves as something other than the ego.

Mystics and gurus have long referred to the similarities between the two activities. Osho, the Indian spiritual teacher formerly known as Rajneesh, was famous for his acknowledgment of the mystical value of an orgasm. "The experience of orgasm itself is always nonsexual. Even though you have achieved it through sex, it itself has no sexuality in it," he once said. "And my own understanding is that meditation has grown out of the experience of orgasm."

The French term for orgasm is "le petite mort" or "the little death," in reference to the period of tranquility, crystalline awareness and transcendence experienced shortly after a peak sexual experience.

The esoteric Indian tradition of tantra purports to use sex as a way of eventually achieving enlightenment or total understanding of the universe.

Still, orgasm is no replacement for meditation.

Meditation and orgasm light up different parts of the brain. Meditation, various studies have shown, lights up the left prefrontal cortex -- an area associated with joy and happiness. But during an orgasm, the left cortex remains totally silent. Meditation has also been known to create lasting change in the brain through a thickening of the cortex.

What this perhaps means, in terms of strengthening our emotional wellness, is that while orgasm can make us hunger for the experience of sustained transcendence, meditation is the only path to actually achieving it.

Read Scientific American's original story here.
NinaBrooke is offline   Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 05:55 AM   #2
Ed Highlight
Valued Poster

Encounters: 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninasastri View Post
...Meditation and orgasm light up different parts of the brain. Meditation, various studies have shown, lights up the left prefrontal cortex -- an area associated with joy and happiness. But during an orgasm, the left cortex remains totally silent. Meditation has also been known to create lasting change in the brain through a thickening of the cortex.....
Nina dear, I have been meditating about your orgasm for months and nothing lights up different parts of my.... ummmm...brain.....like you do!!!
Ed Highlight is offline   Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:11 AM   #3
Marshall
BANNED

I thought people were only allowed to post the first paragraph of an article, not the whole article....wouldn't want to crash eccie.....

yawn.......
Marshall is offline   Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 12:44 PM   #4
John Bull
Valued Poster

Marshall, if you're going to try out for a mod position, the first thing you need to do is be correct about your observations. Just sayin'!
John Bull is offline   Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 04:02 PM   #5
mufflover
Account Disabled

Encounters: 5

I had a science teacher back in 8th grade talk about how valuable personal silent/thinking/meditation is for health. For some weird reason it resonated with me and I have attempted to keep that habit.

Kind of like Little River Band, Cool Change....longing for the peaceful time alone.

ML
mufflover is offline   Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 05:06 AM   #6
Ed Highlight
Valued Poster

Encounters: 79
Default Oh no you didn't!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufflover View Post
I had a science teacher back in 8th grade talk about how valuable personal silent/thinking/meditation is for health. For some weird reason it resonated with me and I have attempted to keep that habit.

Kind of like Little River Band, Cool Change....longing for the peaceful time alone.

ML
ML, if Johnny Bull catches you quoting Little River Band you may get points.....be careful....go meditate!!
Ed Highlight is offline   Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 11:30 AM   #7
Marshall
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bull View Post
Marshall, if you're going to try out for a mod position, the first thing you need to do is be correct about your observations. Just sayin'!

Me? Try out for mod?....... HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA!

I do know that part of being a moderator is instructing the posters about the rules. Kindly inform us what it is exactly about my observation that is incorrect.

According to PM's sent to me, articles are suppose to be first paragraph and link....Nina posted the whole HufPo article...anyone who hits the link can see that.....if complete articles are allowed to be posted, I got a lot of threads I'd like to start.......
Old 07-15-2011, 12:00 PM   #8
John Bull
Valued Poster

If Nina broke the rules, then Nina would have had a conversation with a mod that you would not have been privy too.
What is incorrect is you trying to act in a mod capacity and what is furthermore incorrect is you making a veiled threat to follow your former pattern of printing page after page after page of quotes.
If you continue to follow this pattern, I see points in your future. A word to the wise.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:02 PM   #9
John Bull
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Highlight View Post
ML, if Johnny Bull catches you quoting Little River Band you may get points.....be careful....go meditate!!
It would probably be more valuable for you to "go meditate" than to give a member improper advice.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:08 PM   #10
Marshall
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bull View Post
If Nina broke the rules, then Nina would have had a conversation with a mod that you would not have been privy too.
What is incorrect is you trying to act in a mod capacity and what is furthermore incorrect is you making a veiled threat to follow your former pattern of printing page after page after page of quotes.
If you continue to follow this pattern, I see points in your future. A word to the wise.
so my observation was correct.....

I believe I indicated that I wanted to know if the rules changed.......I want to know the status of what the unwritten rules are because I always do my best to comply....why would my posting be a threat? My posts created a lot of positive group participation....
Old 07-15-2011, 02:58 PM   #11
John Bull
Valued Poster

Marshall, you've been given what you need. If you need anything further, use the PM system.
Old 07-16-2011, 05:14 PM   #12
NinaBrooke
Account Disabled

User ID: 59709

Hello all,
I was honestly not aware of this new rule! I have been in Portugal since a while now, only rarely checking on eccie, and i haven`t been seing that this is not allowed anymore. Nothing i did was on purpose or to intentionally break any rules, i was not aware of it.

I think its good to not quote whole articles and just only the first paragraph or a summary. Makes perfect sense. Posting a link only might not trigger enough interest and posting whole articles is simply too exhaustive and demanding. So i think its a great rule!

For the future a question to you mods: If there are any changes in rules - is there no system of mass mails so everyone gets it? Because how would i have known about it if i did not check back to eccie regularly? And right now i am very irregularly on here :-).

ps: if you let me edit the original post i can correct the mistake, but its not to be edited anymore :-(.
NinaBrooke is offline   Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 06:31 AM   #13
Marshall
BANNED

Quote:
For the future a question to you mods: If there are any changes in rules - is there no system of mass mails so everyone gets it? Because how would i have known about it if i did not check back to eccie regularly? And right now i am very irregularly on here :-).
Nobody PM'd you about posting the complete article?
Old 07-17-2011, 11:00 AM   #14
Marshall
BANNED

Quote:
I was honestly not aware of this new rule!

Nina, the copy/paste rule was posted at the top of this forum just this morning...it is:

Articles of more than one paragraph, at the discretion of the Mod Staff, will not be copy/pasted into threads. Instead, copy the link.

There is no way for me to determine how the discretion will be exercised, so I would recommend you PM a moderator for an explanation. When you get one, PM me and tell me what it is. Thank you.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:37 AM   #15
WTF
Lifetime Premium Access

Default The Believing Brain: by Dr. Michael Shermer

Quote:

I think its good to not quote whole articles and just only the first paragraph or a summary. Makes perfect sense. Posting a link only might not trigger enough interest and posting whole articles is simply too exhaustive and demanding. So i think its a great rule!

:-(.
Hi nina, great article. Learning how the brain works will be a very interesting affair in the next century. Below is a book that may perk your interest. It centers around the theory that we form beliefs first and then shape our thoughts around those beliefs despite reality/science proving otherwise.

http://www.michaelshermer.com/the-be...brain/excerpt/

Skeptic magazine entitled “Science Education is No Guarantee of Skepticism,” presented the results of a study that found no correlation between science knowledge (facts about the world) and paranormal beliefs. The authors, W. Richard Walker, Steven J. Hoekstra, and Rodney J. Vogl, concluded: “Students that scored well on these [science knowledge] tests were no more or less skeptical of pseudoscientific claims than students that scored very poorly. Apparently, the students were not able to apply their scientific knowledge to evaluate these pseudoscientific claims. We suggest that this inability stems in part from the way that science is traditionally presented to students: Students are taught what to think but not how to think.”7 The scientific method is a teachable concept, as evidenced in the NSF study that found that 53% of Americans with a high level of science education (nine or more high school and college science/math courses) understand the scientific process, compared to 38% with a middle level (six to eight such courses) of science education, and 17% with a low level (less than five such courses) of science education. So maybe the key to attenuating superstition and belief in the supernatural is in teaching how science works, not just what science has discovered
WTF is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women