Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > Diamonds and Tuxedos
Diamonds and Tuxedos Glamour, elegance, and sophistication. That's what it's all about here in ECCIE's newest forum which caters to those with expensive tastes, lavish lifestyles, and an appetite for upscale entertainment.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 373
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 262
sharkman29 250
George Spelvin 246
Top Posters
DallasRain70404
biomed160475
Yssup Rider59896
gman4452916
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47504
pyramider46370
bambino40307
CryptKicker37078
Mokoa36485
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35317
Mojojo33117

Old 05-02-2011, 06:47 PM   #1
discreetgent
Valued Poster

Location: Even with a gorgeous avatar: Happiness is ephemeral
Default When laws and communication reality collide

Canada is voting for a new parliament today. The Canadian Election Act forbids the reporting of results as long as polls are open in any region. Leaving aside for the moment whether that is a good or bad thing, polls in the Eastern provinces close 3 hours before they close in British Columbia. Outlets like CBC, Globe and Mail, and other national outlets have shut down comments, reporting, etc to comply with the law. OTOH there are newgroups and twitter accounts that are broadcasting out the results.

Are there certain laws that are unrealistic with the type of communication available today and if yes should government bow to reality and repeal such laws?
discreetgent is offline   Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 07:35 PM   #2
EJunkie
Valued Poster

The laws apply to all forms of communication. Enforcement is complaint driven. If someone files a complaint about any twitter/newsgroup/etc. activity; the individuals involved will be charged.
EJunkie is offline   Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:48 PM   #3
Rudyard K
Lifetime Premium Access

Encounters: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by discreetgent View Post
Are there certain laws that are unrealistic with the type of communication available today and if yes should government bow to reality and repeal such laws?
I guess I don't view the law as unrealistic, as much as I see that the governing bodies might not have the resolve to enforce them. While one probably can't put folks in jail for violating this law...they could make it economically unpalletable to the violators.

I do agree that if your not going to enforce a law, it might as well be removed.
Rudyard K is offline   Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:54 PM   #4
discreetgent
Valued Poster

Interesting election results.

Conservatives can form a majority government, yet the NDP - the furthest left of the 3 national parties made huge gains in particular against the Bloc Quebecois which has dominated in Quebec for decades and is also left leaning.

(Liberals took a huge beating as well).
Old 05-02-2011, 09:01 PM   #5
atlcomedy
Valued Poster

The quick one that comes to mind is subverting copyright laws. I could give so many examples, but I think it is self-explanatory.
atlcomedy is offline   Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 07:46 PM   #6
discreetgent
Valued Poster

In a similar vein. In England a person or company can ask for a super-injunction which prevents the media from reporting on affairs, corporate misdoings, etc. Together with the British libel laws it makes it risky and very costly for media to violate the injunction. In the last week a soccer player, Ryan Giggs, got one of those injunctions to stop reports of an affair he had had.

Last Friday a user on twitter identified Giggs and by now he had 75,000 such references on twitter.

Parliament is looking at revisiting the law, with some members understanding that new means of communicating are making a mockery of some laws.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:45 PM   #7
Camille
Pending Age Verification

User ID: 511
My ECCIE Reviews

http://www.eccie.net/showthread.php?t=212813

The parties that publicly tweeted Giggsys name are apparently subject to two years in jail. It will be interesting to see how THAT plays out...hahaha.
I mis spoke in my original post. The EU were apposed to this English law being abolished, when discussion of it came up some five or so years ago, because they (EU) wanted to somehow develop a similar European Union Law along the same terms. Good luck with that...especially in France where they love a revolt other such ridiculous issues. The whole thing is a farce lol...
Camille is offline   Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 08:47 PM   #8
Camille
Pending Age Verification

User ID: 511
My ECCIE Reviews

Btw,...Giggsy has filed a lawsuit against twitter. How the hell does that work then? It was a USER on twitter, not an employee that posted it. How the heck were twitter to know if it was accurate info or not? Insane. Wouldn't twitter have to have knowledge of who was involved to be in any way liable?
Camille is offline   Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:37 PM   #9
discreetgent
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camille View Post
Btw,...Giggsy has filed a lawsuit against twitter. How the hell does that work then? It was a USER on twitter, not an employee that posted it. How the heck were twitter to know if it was accurate info or not? Insane. Wouldn't twitter have to have knowledge of who was involved to be in any way liable?
Twitter at the moment is planning on opening an office in London but still does not have one so not sure what the argument would even be since no US laws were broken.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:13 PM   #10
charlestudor2005
Valued Poster

Encounters: 8

History tells us that the law lags far behind technology. When they clash, tech will always win.
charlestudor2005 is offline   Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:54 AM   #11
austin_voy
Valued Poster

Encounters: 14

US newspapers, radio stations and TV stations have a policy (no law involved) to not identify a rape victim. Not France, where he name is being blasted all over the country. Along with accusations that it's a set-up, that she's lying, that ...

Now I saw an article that said that a guy who owns several news stands in NYC yanked all of the French origin papers because of this. Applause.
austin_voy is offline   Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:35 AM   #12
atlcomedy
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin_voy View Post
US newspapers, radio stations and TV stations have a policy (no law involved) to not identify a rape victim. Not France, where he name is being blasted all over the country. Along with accusations that it's a set-up, that she's lying, that ...

Now I saw an article that said that a guy who owns several news stands in NYC yanked all of the French origin papers because of this. Applause.
Nina would probably call this the censorship of creative expression (see thread on feminine looking male magazine model)
atlcomedy is offline   Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 05:54 PM   #13
ICU 812
Valued Poster

Encounters: 15

What about the right to freedom of speech? Political speech is the most protected speech—isn't it?

Shout loud . . .the truth shall make you free.
ICU 812 is offline   Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 07:15 PM   #14
discreetgent
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICU 812 View Post
What about the right to freedom of speech? Political speech is the most protected speech—isn't it?

Shout loud . . .the truth shall make you free.
In the US it is. Remember Britain does not have a constitution. Rights are defined by a basic law and by years of precedence and common law (I think I got that right)
Old 05-26-2011, 12:48 PM   #15
pjorourke
Valued Poster

Encounters: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlestudor2005 View Post
History tells us that the law lags far behind technology. When they clash, tech will always win.
Word!
pjorourke is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women