Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > Diamonds and Tuxedos
Diamonds and Tuxedos Glamour, elegance, and sophistication. That's what it's all about here in ECCIE's newest forum which caters to those with expensive tastes, lavish lifestyles, and an appetite for upscale entertainment.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 373
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 264
sharkman29 251
George Spelvin 248
Top Posters
DallasRain70423
biomed160635
Yssup Rider59956
gman4452938
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47575
pyramider46370
bambino40333
CryptKicker37085
Mokoa36487
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35405
Mojojo33117

Thread Closed

Old 09-27-2012, 08:10 AM   #1
NinaBrooke
Account Disabled

User ID: 59709
Default Just so .. I get a little more understanding :)): Being Austrian

Being Austrian
"Austrians say the Viennese are the most unfriendly and *Russians are very violent: Understanding a nation’s identity *means confronting both its present and its past"
Political scientist and nationalism expert Dr. Stephan Grigat puzzles over the Austrian mind-set and takes apart the clichés

http://www.viennareview.net/news/spe...being-austrian

Do you have similar articles discussing stereotypes and impressions, maybe about other nations? Would be interesting to discuss the stereotypes , the reasons for it and the cultural differences, and last but not least gentrification (which kind of-IMHO is also a reason for stereotypes )
Old 09-27-2012, 12:09 PM   #2
ForumPoster
Pending Age Verification

User ID: 16998
My ECCIE Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninasastri View Post
Being Austrian
"Austrians say the Viennese are the most unfriendly and *Russians are very violent: Understanding a nation’s identity *means confronting both its present and its past"
Political scientist and nationalism expert Dr. Stephan Grigat puzzles over the Austrian mind-set and takes apart the clichés

http://www.viennareview.net/news/spe...being-austrian

Do you have similar articles discussing stereotypes and impressions, maybe about other nations? Would be interesting to discuss the stereotypes , the reasons for it and the cultural differences, and last but not least gentrification (which kind of-IMHO is also a reason for stereotypes )

Russians are not violent at all, I personally have no living enemies

Lina
Old 09-27-2012, 02:07 PM   #3
NinaBrooke
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensual Lina View Post
Russians are not violent at all, I personally have no living enemies

Lina
What do you mean, no "living" (hahahahaha, just kidding....I hope you take no offense )

These stereotypes are pretty interesting, specially because it`s austrians talking about austrians , and russians, swiss and germans (we have plenty of russians in Vienna, you will find every shop assistant in the luxury brand boutiques speak and be with russian roots). Do you have any of these stories about your culture as well? Would be nice to discuss where the roots are .

How is this in your culture? Any stereotypes :-)?
Old 09-27-2012, 02:13 PM   #4
ForumPoster
Pending Age Verification

My ECCIE Reviews

Quote:
What do you mean, no "living" (hahahahaha, just kidding....I hope you take no offense )

These stereotypes are pretty interesting, specially because it`s austrians talking about austrians , and russians, swiss and germans (we have plenty of russians in Vienna, you will find every shop assistant in the luxury brand boutiques speak and be with russian roots). Do you have any of these stories about your culture as well? Would be nice to discuss where the roots are .

How is this in your culture? Any stereotypes :-)?

There is very large russian speaking population in New York area and stereotypes run rampant. Whenever I say to someone I am from Russia i get these "favorite" questions

1) You are from Russia? What brought you here?

A FREAKING AIRPLANE! What do you think, i took a train?

2) Oh, you are russian? I know a russian girl her name is Tanya she lives in queens and does hair. Do you know her?

Yeap, all 500,000 russians in NYC area get together on Fri night and plot how to overthrow americans. We take names.

3) This one usually takes place in winter. "Is this cold enough for you?"

No it is not. I miss snow in July, fires on the streets and bears walking on Red Square hunting for tourists

Lina
Old 09-27-2012, 07:45 PM   #5
ArisRose
Pending Age Verification

User ID: 141008
My ECCIE Reviews

I had a coworker tell a Russian woman she looks like a Gypsy and she gave him the cold stare of death.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:05 AM   #6
NinaBrooke
Account Disabled

In Vienna we have many germans here (also generally in austria) because since the EU has regulations, that you need to give access to EU-citizens for the same regulations as austrian, they benefit from our educational system. In Austria we don`t have a NC (numerus clausus = grades need to be a certain really good average to be admitted to university) , so we get all the germans to come to us and study. This leads to some interesting stereotypes, specially about "our" humour versus "German" humour.

Austrians can be pretty dark with the humour, and sometimes germans don`t understand that, they sometimes do look kind of puzzled when we talk viennese and use certain language codes , they are not used too. It`s funny, when you make a typical dark humoured viennes joke about sex or death (we do take taboo`s light hearted , poking fun of death as a best friend, and make cynical comments about sex). Germans seem to be offended by these kind of humours and do look at you as if you were taking it very seriously and did something really really bad ....

I taught a german friend some typical viennese phrases about that and it makes me giggle when he tries to pronounce it .... (lol)

On the other hand germans seem to be more "precise" which is where they make fun of us austrians.

A german friend of mine used to work as stage assistant, preparing stages for Rock concerts and he wanted about 50 cm between each chair . Of course, for us austrians , this is not meant "literally" , we just estimate with eye sight about half a meter of space. He then told me that he dared to say to the workers "These are not 50cm" and all he got as response was "You must be german, right?"

(lol)
Old 09-28-2012, 06:18 AM   #7
NinaBrooke
Account Disabled

Quote:
There is very large russian speaking population in New York area and stereotypes run rampant. Whenever I say to someone I am from Russia i get these "favorite" questions

1) You are from Russia? What brought you here?

A FREAKING AIRPLANE! What do you think, i took a train?

2) Oh, you are russian? I know a russian girl her name is Tanya she lives in queens and does hair. Do you know her?

Yeap, all 500,000 russians in NYC area get together on Fri night and plot how to overthrow americans. We take names.

3) This one usually takes place in winter. "Is this cold enough for you?"

No it is not. I miss snow in July, fires on the streets and bears walking on Red Square hunting for tourists

Lina
Lina, how about the one with the Vodka instead of water )) (lol). My russian friends hear that one a lot. ...
Russians are scared of water, they even take Vodka for shower ) (lol) nice stereotype.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:07 AM   #8
ForumPoster
Pending Age Verification

My ECCIE Reviews

Quote:
Lina, how about the one with the Vodka instead of water )) (lol). My russian friends hear that one a lot. ...
Russians are scared of water, they even take Vodka for shower ) (lol) nice stereotype.
Have not heard that one ... gotta tell it to my GF from Midwest as I am taking her to vodka tasting tonight lol

Quote:
A german friend of mine used to work as stage assistant, preparing stages for Rock concerts and he wanted about 50 cm between each chair . Of course, for us austrians , this is not meant "literally" , we just estimate with eye sight about half a meter of space. He then told me that he dared to say to the workers "These are not 50cm" and all he got as response was "You must be german, right?"

(lol)
I dated a German for 3 years here in NYC ... this pretty much sums up our every day interaction lol
Old 09-28-2012, 11:25 AM   #9
NinaBrooke
Account Disabled

Quote:

I dated a German for 3 years here in NYC ... this pretty much sums up our every day interaction lol
I think that was one of the reasons why I never dated a german . I hear you. I am more into "laid back" unprecise playful folks - talking portuguese, italian, italian americans, ... well ..... you get the point :-). I like direct and "hot" blooded people, I can`t handle cold blood and people who are slime balls (which means the backstabbing manipulative kind - nice in the face, while cooking soups of manipulative ideas in the back...). I never dated a russian man, but a friend of mine is married to one. I do love russian women , though. Many of them are rare beauties, and very elegant. Some - specially in Vienna - tend to be a little too snobbish and pretend they can afford everything (even if they are broke), which is a bit of a turn off for me. But once you overlook that attitude it`s ok to just ignore it with a few comments ...

I always hear that austrians are very similar to Portuguese, and I realize this similarity at least when I compare viennese to lisboetas. It`s about the "dealing" with things, the uncertainty when stuff gets done (In Lisbon you need to be a charming pain in the butt, and in vienna you need to be a consistent pain in the butt), since timetables are a little different and such, and bargaining is a must. And favours of course )

Also we have plenty of eastern europeans in Vienna which adds a lot of flavour to the mix as well .
Old 09-28-2012, 09:07 PM   #10
Sisyphus
Valued Poster

Location: Up a hill...down a hill... Up a hill...down a hill...

Quote:

A bit of drift here but....there's nothing new under the sun! My Pops fought in the Italian campaign in WW2. He used to tell me that....over & over....he'd be approached by a local asking whether Pop knew the dude's cousin in Pittsburgh....or Toledo....or where ever....

Pop was from Kansas!!
Old 10-01-2012, 05:23 PM   #11
John Bull
Valued Poster

Eccie doesn't believe that any naionality or race is better or worse than another.
Thread Closed

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women