Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > The Sandbox - National
The Sandbox - National The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 373
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 264
sharkman29 251
George Spelvin 248
Top Posters
DallasRain70423
biomed160630
Yssup Rider59954
gman4452938
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47573
pyramider46370
bambino40333
CryptKicker37085
Mokoa36487
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35404
Mojojo33117

Old 12-12-2012, 01:33 PM   #1
CuteOldGuy
Valued Poster

Encounters: 20
Default Don't think you could be indefinitely detained by Barack Obama?

Think again.

Naomi Wolf reports: "The transcript from the hearing has some jaw-dropping exchanges between Judge Forrest and the US government attorney representing Obama. Repeatedly Judge Forrest asked Obama's lawyers to define "associated forces" and "material support" or "substantial support" and repeatedly they declined to do so, or were unwilling to do so, as you see below.

In my notes, Judge Forrest gave them six or seven chances to define the NDAA in a way that would not endanger peaceful US critics, activists, commentators or journalists, and they could not or would not take those opportunities she gave them to do so.

Specifically, the government's lawyers could not or would not rule out detaining reporter Chris Hedges under section 1021 or 1022 of the NDAA, and they did not rule out the example of a nonviolent book that simply showed support for the Taliban's worldview that the US was excessively imperialistic, falling under its aegis.

Most distressingly, the fact that the United States' lawyers confirmed on the record that NDAA could be used for those purposes, makes the many letters I have seen, sent from Congresspeople and Senators to their constituents -- in which these leaders directly asserted to their constituents the contrary of what the Government's lawyers confirmed last Thursday -- all the more distressing: either Congress' disinformation, sent from their offices to US citizens at a critical moment, emerged out of our leaders' serious ignorance about what this law does, or else the disinformation was disingenuous:

Judge Forrest was pushing to determine the boundaries of the NDAA law

Obama’s lawyer said that it would take a case of someone being detained under the NDAA, to find the parameters of the law. (OP Note: Sound familiar? We have to pass it to see what's in it. Now someone has to be detained to find out if they have any rights.)

Judge Forrest: “Is it really adequate to say you have to go to a DC court, in detention, to figure this out? Are you going to have to wait for courts other than this one to decide who ‘associated forces’ are? Is this the only way we can figure this out?”

She asked the government lawyer for an example of a boundary around “associated forces.”

Judge Forrest: “I don’t want precision. I want a boundary.”

Obama lawyer: “I don’t have specifics.”

Judge Forrest: “Associated forces”? What are they?”

Pause.

Judge Forrest: “If you can’t stand here and say, “1021 won’t touch Ms O’Brien …unless, if you did, we would be done — if you can’t do that, you leave us in a tough spot here.”"

Source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...aa-free-speech

Read More of Naomi Wolf's #NDAA Hearing Notes: http://naomiwolf.org/2012/03/ndaa-hearing-notes/

Read Alexa O'Brien's Letter about the NDAA and her lawsuit: http://www.alexaobrien.com/secondsig...nd_family.html

Sign & Share the STOP NDAA Petition: www.STOPNDAA.Org

Learn More & Share Like You Care
www.PeopleOverPolitics.Org

Recall Every Congressman Who Voted for the NDAA: https://www.facebook.com/antiNDAA

From the People Against the NDAA Facebook page.
CuteOldGuy is offline   Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:35 PM   #2
CJ7
Valued Poster

snick
CJ7 is offline   Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:42 PM   #3
CJ7
Valued Poster

any minute now ..
CJ7 is offline   Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:21 PM   #4
timpage
Account Disabled

Part of the text of Obama's signing statement when he signed this fucking thing that COG will not stop bleating about. I've highlighted the part that answers the question COG has posted.

>>>Obama then strongly debunked once and for all the notion that the NDAA detention provisions apply to American citizens, “Section 1021 affirms the executive branch’s authority to detain persons covered by the 2001 Authorization for Use of Military Force (AUMF) (Public Law 107-40; 50 U.S.C. 1541 note). This section breaks no new ground and is unnecessary. The authority it describes was included in the 2001 AUMF, as recognized by the Supreme Court and confirmed through lower court decisions since then. Two critical limitations in section 1021 confirm that it solely codifies established authorities. First, under section 1021(d), the bill does not “limit or expand the authority of the President or the scope of the Authorization for Use of Military Force.” Second, under section 1021(e), the bill may not be construed to affect any “existing law or authorities relating to the detention of United States citizens, lawful resident aliens of the United States, or any other persons who are captured or arrested in the United States.” My Administration strongly supported the inclusion of these limitations in order to make clear beyond doubt that the legislation does nothing more than confirm authorities that the Federal courts have recognized as lawful under the 2001 AUMF. Moreover, I want to clarify that my Administration will not authorize the indefinite military detention without trial of American citizens. Indeed, I believe that doing so would break with our most important traditions and values as a Nation. My Administration will interpret section 1021 in a manner that ensures that any detention it authorizes complies with the Constitution, the laws of war, and all other applicable law.”<<<<<

Get it now COG?
timpage is offline   Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:27 PM   #5
CuteOldGuy
Valued Poster

Encounters: 20

The signing statement is not law, and is not binding. How dumb are you, Timmy? And what if Obama keeps his pledge, which is unlikely considering his history, what's to keep future presidents from abusing the law?

Why is this even an issue? What is the problem with removing the language completely, instead of demanding its inclusion, then promising not to use it?
CuteOldGuy is offline   Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:30 PM   #6
CJ7
Valued Poster

still waiting ....
CJ7 is offline   Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:24 PM   #7
i'va biggen
Account Disabled

Encounters: 17

snick+2
i'va biggen is offline   Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:31 PM   #8
timpage
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuteOldGuy View Post
The signing statement is not law, and is not binding. How dumb are you, Timmy? And what if Obama keeps his pledge, which is unlikely considering his history, what's to keep future presidents from abusing the law?

Why is this even an issue? What is the problem with removing the language completely, instead of demanding its inclusion, then promising not to use it?
Don't need you to lecture me about the binding effect of a signing statement. And either you're the dumb one or you don't remember your own post....Your question was about indefinite detainment by Barack Obama. The signing statement answers your question. As usual, it's paranoia and much ado about nothing from you.
timpage is offline   Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:50 PM   #9
CJ7
Valued Poster

stillllllllllll waiting ...
CJ7 is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women