Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > Diamonds and Tuxedos
Diamonds and Tuxedos Glamour, elegance, and sophistication. That's what it's all about here in ECCIE's newest forum which caters to those with expensive tastes, lavish lifestyles, and an appetite for upscale entertainment.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 373
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 264
sharkman29 252
George Spelvin 248
Top Posters
DallasRain70426
biomed160661
Yssup Rider59984
gman4452939
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47591
pyramider46370
bambino40333
CryptKicker37085
Mokoa36487
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35417
Mojojo33117

Old 03-01-2011, 09:34 AM   #1
Guest053011
Account Disabled

User ID: 4424
Default Madama Butterfly

On a path to increase my familiarity with Opera, I just saw my first performance of this lovely piece. I hadn't realized that at it's initial debut, it had literally been laughed off stage. The frustration seems to have paid off as Puccini's final work is stunning. Makes me deathly curious about the original - wish I could see the failed version.

As much as I love the piece, I hope to catch a better performance. The woman playing Butterfly was nearing her 40s, and it was hard to watch the entire production convinced that this was a naive 15/18 year old girl.

It also drove me up the wall that the women couldn't walk in Kimonos. A catch 22 I think, the stage is so large they have to get on and off quickly, but large steps in a Kimono make it look awkward by breaking up the lines.

I was also painfully devistated by the poor sell on her death scene. There she is in this glorious white kimono, surrounded by pink petals. She raises the sword... and pretends to slash her neck. Call me dramatic but I was hoping for a fake blood pellet - it would have been visually stunning against the airy white background. Probably not very practical as it means the last costume would almost always be damaged... but one can hope. To be honest I think the lead just failed to sell the moment.

Seppuku, if I remember correctly, requires the person to stab themselves in the abdomen, then sweep the blade across. I'm not sure if this applies to Jigai, the ritual suicide for females.

I would love to see this again, but with a younger female lead. I imagine that's a challenge in the Opera world, where the vocal training is so intensive that finding a young woman capable of carrying the lead would require someone exceptionally talented.
Guest053011 is offline   Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:17 AM   #2
LynetteMarie
Pending Age Verification

User ID: 3412
My ECCIE Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren Summerhill View Post
On a path to increase my familiarity with Opera, I just saw my first performance of this lovely piece. I hadn't realized that at it's initial debut, it had literally been laughed off stage. The frustration seems to have paid off as Puccini's final work is stunning. Makes me deathly curious about the original - wish I could see the failed version
I'm intrigued by how many times I've learned that an artist's work was originally ridiculed but is now considered a masterpiece.

It seems you saw your own semi-failed version, at least!
LynetteMarie is offline   Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:20 AM   #3
BellaIsabella
Pending Age Verification

User ID: 61377

I love Puccini, especially Madama Butterfly and Aida.
BellaIsabella is offline   Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:34 AM   #4
Guest053011
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaIsabella View Post
I love Puccini, especially Madama Butterfly and Aida.
I saw Aida at the Sidney Opera house - it was an amazing staging! They put the river across the front of the stage, and I thought it was just a shallow pool. Halfway through a man jumped in and did a breast-stroke across the stage.

Too bad I had just gotten off of 15+ hours of flying and was fighting to stay awake!!
Old 03-01-2011, 11:44 AM   #5
charlestudor2005
Valued Poster

Encounters: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren Summerhill View Post
I saw Aida at the Sidney Opera house - it was an amazing staging! They put the river across the front of the stage, and I thought it was just a shallow pool. Halfway through a man jumped in and did a breast-stroke across the stage.

Too bad I had just gotten off of 15+ hours of flying and was fighting to stay awake!!
You must mean Sydney! [Typological error.]
charlestudor2005 is offline   Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:49 AM   #6
Guest053011
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlestudor2005 View Post
You must mean Sydney! [Typological error.]
iPhone posting while in slow line at grocery store
Old 03-01-2011, 12:25 PM   #7
Rudyard K
Lifetime Premium Access

Encounters: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynetteMarie View Post
I'm intrigued by how many times I've learned that an artist's work was originally ridiculed but is now considered a masterpiece.
See CT?...there's hope for you yet.
Rudyard K is offline   Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 01:20 PM   #8
charlestudor2005
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynetteMarie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudyard K View Post
See CT?...there's hope for you yet.
[**Making arrangements to have my works on ECCIE preserved for history.**]
Old 03-01-2011, 06:10 PM   #9
John Bull
Valued Poster

From Wikipedia:
Some females belonging to samurai families committed suicide by cutting the jugular vein with a knife such as a tantō or kaiken. The main purpose was to achieve a quick and certain death in order to avoid capture. Before committing suicide, a woman would often tie her knees together so her body would be found in a dignified pose, despite the convulsions of death. Jigai, however, does not refer exclusively to this particular mode of suicide. Jigai was often done to preserve one's honor if a military defeat was imminent, so as to prevent rape. Invading armies would often enter homes to find the lady of the house seated alone, facing away from the door. On approaching her, they would find that she had ended her life long before they reached her.
John Bull is offline   Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 06:47 PM   #10
charlestudor2005
Valued Poster

@JB

Good to see you.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:47 PM   #11
discreetgent
Valued Poster

Location: Even with a gorgeous avatar: Happiness is ephemeral

Lauren,

Try and go see the production at the Met in New York; saw it twice and it is truly a superb production!

Agreed, Sydney Opera House is an amazing place, suggest everyone see a performance there - opera, symphony, etc.
discreetgent is offline   Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:04 PM   #12
Guest083011
Account Disabled

Encounters: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by discreetgent View Post
Lauren, Try and go see the production at the Met in New York.
Word! The met does awesome productions.
However, it does not appear inthe remainder of the season.
http://www.metoperafamily.org/metope...x.aspx?nav=top
Guest083011 is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women