Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > Diamonds and Tuxedos
Diamonds and Tuxedos Glamour, elegance, and sophistication. That's what it's all about here in ECCIE's newest forum which caters to those with expensive tastes, lavish lifestyles, and an appetite for upscale entertainment.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 373
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 264
sharkman29 251
George Spelvin 248
Top Posters
DallasRain70423
biomed160612
Yssup Rider59951
gman4452936
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47573
pyramider46370
bambino40333
CryptKicker37083
Mokoa36487
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35403
Mojojo33117

Old 05-13-2011, 08:50 PM   #1
shaft.drive
Valued Poster

Encounters: 13
Default Not a Tux, but I need a suit

Ok folks; I need advice

I need to get a conservative suit in navy blue / gray /charcoal
I want to buy a good one that I can use for a while

Jos A Banks & the Mens Warehouse both have sales of buy 1 get 1 free...reading on line, people seem to trash both ??
Mens Warehouse has some Italian suits for $699 while Jos A Banks goes up to $1099, but made in China & Mexico

How do I go about getting a good suit?
shaft.drive is offline   Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 09:09 PM   #2
JohnMacnab
Valued Poster

Check out this website.

http://artofmanliness.com/

Then do a search on buying a suit. They have lots of info on buying a suit and getting it fitted. This website uses graphics from way back but the info is very current.
JohnMacnab is offline   Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 09:31 PM   #3
pjorourke
Valued Poster

Encounters: 1

This discussion could easily degenerate into NPOA.

How much do you want to spend? You can pay anywhere from $500 to $5,000 for a quality suit.
pjorourke is offline   Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 09:31 PM   #4
guest060112-3
Account Disabled

User ID: 79688
My ECCIE Reviews

^great site. I'm enjoying it.
guest060112-3 is offline   Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 09:43 PM   #5
atlcomedy
Valued Poster

Every week on the radio, "Friday and Saturday only! Buy one suit at regular price and get two!!!! suits of equal or lesser value free!!!!!"

We're talking off the rack suits here so I wouldn't get too hung up on the country of orgin. Most all suits are made in a 3rd world (I guess the PC term is "developing") country, including many famous names.

Heck a lot of "made to measure" suits are made in China & the labor savings makes them pretty comprable in price to off-the-rack at a department store.

One piece of advice: Make sure the suit fits. Have the suit altered so it fits. Well-fit can make even a relatively inexpensive suit look sharp.
atlcomedy is offline   Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 10:13 PM   #6
shaft.drive
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarBeth View Post
^great site. I'm enjoying it.
Sugar Beth the hijacker. Go play somewhere else

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlcomedy View Post
One piece of advice: Make sure the suit fits. Have the suit altered so it fits. Well-fit can make even a relatively inexpensive suit look sharp.
ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMacnab View Post
Check out this website.

http://artofmanliness.com/

Then do a search on buying a suit. They have lots of info on buying a suit and getting it fitted. This website uses graphics from way back but the info is very current.
cool site. thanks. easy to go off and read all kinds of interesting stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjorourke View Post
How much do you want to spend? You can pay anywhere from $500 to $5,000 for a quality suit.
around $1000 or a bit more hoping it will last a while
Old 05-13-2011, 10:55 PM   #7
atlcomedy
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaft.drive View Post
; I need advice

Jos A Banks & the Mens Warehouse..... people seem to trash both ??
Quote:
Quote:
ok

Forgive me for being Captain Obvious....

Quote:
How much do you want to spend?
Quote:

around $1000 or a bit more hoping it will last a while
....at the time I thought you were were shopping off the buy one get two free rack....

As an aside, I haven't been in JA Bank in years, but always thought it had a pretty decent reputation: kind of a notch or so below Brooks Bros. but quality, conservative, timeless classics (maybe the kind of suit the OP is looking for???).

Now I hear all of this ultra heavy discounting and IMO they have totally killed whatever brand they had.
atlcomedy is offline   Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 11:15 PM   #8
Camille
Pending Age Verification

User ID: 511
My ECCIE Reviews

Outlets are now selling suits for great prices.
I know a couple of guys who used to have Armani suits made ( around $5k a pop at the time) and now buy Boss etc off the peg at outlet stores. They claim with tailoring there really isnt that much difference in quality...the difference is in price. Like ATL said, take it to a tailor and you are all set. I don't know what build you are but you need to figure out who designers are generally aiming to fit if you are going that route. For example Armani and Boss are a better fit for men with broad shoulders/chest. D & G fit very slender men. If you know that it just cuts down a bit on time spent at the right outlet stores.

By the way, most designer and brand names manufacture in China now so I wouldn't worry too much about quality if it's a known brand. Just be careful of garments madecin Sri lanka/Phillipines and Indonesia. Regulations on labor and product law the are atrocious. Good luck and come back and let us know how you did???

C xxx
Camille is offline   Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 06:19 AM   #9
shaft.drive
Valued Poster

Quote:
Forgive me for being Captain Obvious....
....at the time I thought you were were shopping off the buy one get two free rack....

As an aside, I haven't been in JA Bank in years, but always thought it had a pretty decent reputation: kind of a notch or so below Brooks Bros. but quality, conservative, timeless classics (maybe the kind of suit the OP is looking for???).
Now I hear all of this ultra heavy discounting and IMO they have totally killed whatever brand they had.
No worries; I just want something decent

There is a Brooks Brothers outlet close to where I am....and they seem to have a couple of lines for for slim people - the Milano & the Fitzgerald!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camille View Post
For example Armani and Boss are a better fit for men with broad shoulders/chest. D & G fit very slender men. If you know that it just cuts down a bit on time spent at the right outlet stores.

By the way, most designer and brand names manufacture in China now so I wouldn't worry too much about quality if it's a known brand. Just be careful of garments madecin Sri lanka/Phillipines and Indonesia. Regulations on labor and product law the are atrocious. Good luck and come back and let us know how you did???
Slender....don't know if I will find a D&G, but will look. ..& report back.
Thanks...I do need a tall drink of water!!
Old 05-14-2011, 07:19 AM   #10
pjorourke
Valued Poster

Also, check out Zegna's Z line. Its in your price range and cut with a thinner look. Zegna makes great fabrics.
Old 05-14-2011, 07:45 AM   #11
shaft.drive
Valued Poster

I hear the Z Zegna are fused suits. Is the fusing process proven now? no bubbling after a few dry cleans etc.?
Old 05-14-2011, 08:07 AM   #12
pjorourke
Valued Poster

I hear that it is pretty good. Most suits in the price range you are looking will be fused.
Old 05-14-2011, 03:50 PM   #13
Guest083011
Account Disabled

Encounters: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camille View Post
Outlets are now selling suits for great prices.
I know a couple of guys who used to have Armani suits made ( around $5k a pop at the time) and now buy Boss etc off the peg at outlet stores.
C xxx
Filene's Basement and Marshalls every so often have quality stuff. A bunch of years ago at a Marshalls local to me they had stuff from Barneys. It was a bit of a feeding frenzy. Me charging through at the head of the pack. I went back the next day most of the good stuff was gone.

Quote:
Also, check out Zegna's Z line. Its in your price range and cut with a thinner look. Zegna makes great fabrics.
No Z line for me. Alas the thinner cuts were viable about 30 years ago. SRO doesn't miss too many meals these days.
Guest083011 is offline   Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 05:37 PM   #14
pjorourke
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR Only View Post
Filene's Basement and Marshalls every so often have quality stuff.
Sometimes you get lucky. I was killing time in an outlet while my wife shopped and I found an Oxxford navy pinstripe suit in my size for $600 (regularly about $4K). Even though I had two perfectly good high quality navy pinstripes hanging in my closet, I had to buy it. Of course, the wife says similar things about shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR Only View Post
No Z line for me. Alas the thinner cuts were viable about 30 years ago.
Word! I prefer the Zegna line anyway.
Old 05-14-2011, 05:49 PM   #15
Guest083011
Account Disabled

Encounters: 6

Quote:
Sometimes you get lucky. I was killing time in an outlet while my wife shopped and I found an Oxford navy pinstripe suit in my size for $600 (regularly about $4K). Even though I had two perfectly good high quality navy pinstripes hanging in my closet, I had to buy it.
This is NOT going to sound right: "We should go shopping together." Told ya it wasn't gonna sound good. Now if I could find Armani for six bills.

Should I move this to "Another Realm?"
Guest083011 is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women