Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > Diamonds and Tuxedos
Diamonds and Tuxedos Glamour, elegance, and sophistication. That's what it's all about here in ECCIE's newest forum which caters to those with expensive tastes, lavish lifestyles, and an appetite for upscale entertainment.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 373
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 264
sharkman29 252
George Spelvin 248
Top Posters
DallasRain70426
biomed160651
Yssup Rider59982
gman4452939
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47591
pyramider46370
bambino40333
CryptKicker37085
Mokoa36487
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35417
Mojojo33117

Old 05-04-2010, 06:33 PM   #1
John Bull
Valued Poster

Default Oil Leak Thread for Ansley

It blew up. It's leaking. All the ideological nuts are freaking out. It was a put up job so Obama wouldn't have to live up to his word. The Far Right did it so Obama would look bad. God did it to pay us back for fu..k.ng to much.

Here you are girl. Have fun!
John Bull is offline   Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:22 PM   #2
Ansley
Pending Age Verification

User ID: 499
My ECCIE Reviews

Thanks Mister Bull.
Ansley is offline   Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 08:05 PM   #3
WTF
Lifetime Premium Access

Ansleys got an oil leak???????......
WTF is offline   Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:18 PM   #4
atlcomedy
Valued Poster

Don't trust John. He's a Mod. They are liars. The leadership of this Board is questionable.

WTF, I think even you could qualify for a Mod on eccie
atlcomedy is offline   Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:27 PM   #5
pjorourke
Valued Poster

Encounters: 1

I just hope President Obama is treated as fairly by the press as GWB was on Katrina.
pjorourke is offline   Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:41 PM   #6
Rudyard K
Lifetime Premium Access

Encounters: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlcomedy View Post
Don't trust John. He's a Mod. They are liars. The leadership of this Board is questionable.
I am sure JB is accustomed to all kinds of constructive criticism like the above...

But...such insulting remarks like this...

Quote:
WTF, I think even you could qualify for a Mod on eccie
...to JB are totally uncalled for.
Rudyard K is offline   Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 01:00 AM   #7
Marcus Aurelius
Ambassador

Encounters: 2
My ECCIE Reviews

I was all for "Drill baby drill." Now I think. "Shit, where's my gulf shrimp?"
Those that come from the east are nasty.
Marcus Aurelius is offline   Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 08:27 AM   #8
charlestudor2005
Valued Poster

Encounters: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjorourke View Post
I just hope President Obama is treated as fairly by the press as GWB was on Katrina.
Not related. FEMA's not on the line on this one so there is no "Brownie" scapegoat. Any blame will have to be directed to the Coast Guard, who is the response lead agency.
charlestudor2005 is offline   Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 10:31 AM   #9
John Bull
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudyard K View Post
I am sure JB is accustomed to all kinds of constructive criticism like the above...

But...such insulting remarks like this...

...to JB are totally uncalled for.
Oh, he'll sober up eventually.
John Bull is offline   Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 12:18 PM   #10
atlcomedy
Valued Poster

John, I apologize to you. I shouldn't have lumped all Mods in together. There are some quality individuals serving in a moderation capacity.

On the other hand.....

I've privately asked some questions of eccie leadership about mods. I've yet to get a response...frustrating....
atlcomedy is offline   Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 05:25 PM   #11
SneakyCancer
Valued Poster

Encounters: 43
Default shrimp

gulf shrimp is now unleaded shrimp.....or pre-oiled and ready for grill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Aurelius View Post
I was all for "Drill baby drill." Now I think. "Shit, where's my gulf shrimp?"
Those that come from the east are nasty.
SneakyCancer is offline   Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 06:35 PM   #12
pjorourke
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlestudor2005 View Post
Not related. FEMA's not on the line on this one so there is no "Brownie" scapegoat. Any blame will have to be directed to the Coast Guard, who is the response lead agency.
No, there difference is that there is no incompetent state/local government that blamed their failure on FEMA.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:37 PM   #13
Ansley
Pending Age Verification

User ID: 499
My ECCIE Reviews

Quote:
John, I apologize to you.
ATL, would you stay out of trouble. I'd hate to see you go on a mandatory vacation.
Ansley is offline   Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 06:39 PM   #14
pjorourke
Valued Poster

Weighing the Benefits & Costs of Offshore Drilling

Offshore drilling remains a risk well worth taking, even in the wake of the oil spill disaster.

Ronald Bailey | May 4, 2010

Two weeks ago BP’s Deepwater Horizon oil drilling rig in the Gulf of Mexico exploded, killing 11 workers. The exploratory well began gushing oil at an estimated rate of 5,000 barrels per day when the blowout prevention system failed. The growing oil slick menaces the marshes and beaches of Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and Florida. Should the slick come ashore, previous research suggests the deleterious effects on fisheries and wildlife would be substantial and long-lasting.

As someone who has enjoyed the sugar white sands of Alabama’s beaches, it is a terrible shame that they are at risk of being despoiled by oily muck. But as someone who also enjoys the conveniences of modern civilization including the on-demand mobility offered by airplanes and automobiles that enable me to visit those beaches, I understand trade-offs.

Opponents of offshore drilling have jumped on the spill as evidence that offshore drilling is inherently dangerous, and not worth the risk. They see the blowout as evidence that the recently lifted moratorium on offshore drilling in parts of the outer continental shelf should be reinstated. Miyoko Sakashita of the Center for Biological Diversity decried “the absurdity of the claims by the oil industry and politicians beholden to that industry that offshore oil and gas development is safe." As a consequence, the center is urging the Obama administration “to reinstitute a moratorium on new offshore oil leasing, exploration, and development on all our coasts.” The Natural Resources Defense Council is also calling for a “time-out” on any further offshore oil drilling until an independent investigation of the BP spill is completed. On April 30, the Obama administration heeded the call for a time-out and halted plans to expand offshore drilling until an investigation into the causes of the BP blowout are complete.

But in deciding whether or not to continue offshore exploration for oil and gas, a calm quantitative approach makes more sense than a rush to ban drilling after seeing some pictures of oily birds. It would be useful to figure out if the costs, economic and ecological, outweigh the benefits of producing offshore oil and gas. Luckily, a recent study by Georgetown University economist Robert Hahn and Milken Institute economist Peter Passell offers some insight to this question. Published in the December 2009 issue of Energy Economics, their study “The economics of allowing more U.S. oil drilling,” finds that the benefits of producing offshore oil greatly outweigh the costs.

In their analysis, Hahn and Passell look at three types of benefits: producer revenues, lower prices to consumers, and less fluctuation in oil prices. These benefits are considered in a scenario in which oil is priced at $50 per barrel, and in another in which it goes for $100 per barrel. (The current price is around $85 per barrel.) At $50 per barrel they estimate that 10 billion barrels of oil would be recoverable from the off-limits outer continental shelf, and at $100 this rises to 11.5 billion barrels.

On the cost side of the ledger they calculate that it would cost $17 per barrel to produce offshore oil at $50 per barrel and $20 per barrel at $100 per barrel. They incorporate a Minerals Management Service estimate of $700 million as the cost of the environmental damage [PDF] caused by producing 10 billion barrels of oil offshore. They include an estimate of damage caused by greenhouse gases produced by burning the oil as fuel, and the direct costs of local air pollution, and traffic congestion and accidents. So what did they find?

At $50 per barrel, the benefits of offshore oil production in the formerly off limits areas of the outer continental shelf would garner $492 billion in revenues, $42 billion in lower oil prices, and reduce the cost of oil price disruptions by $42 billion, yielding total benefits of $578 billion. The direct drilling costs would come to $166 billion, environmental costs $1 billion, greenhouse gas damages $1 billion, local air pollution $28 billion, traffic congestion $28 billion, and traffic accidents $32 billion, for a total cost amounting to $255 billion. So at $50 per barrel the benefits of producing 10 billion barrels of offshore oil would be $323 billion greater than its costs.

At $100 per barrel, outer continental shelf oil production of 11.5 billion barrels of oil would reap $1.15 trillion in revenues, lower oil prices by $99 billion, and reduce the costs price disruptions by $51 billion, resulting in total benefits of $1.3 trillion. Drilling costs would be $238 billion, environmental costs and greenhouse gas damages would total $2 billion, the costs of local air pollution, traffic congestion, and traffic accidents would be $22 billion, $33 billion, and $38 billion respectively. So the total costs of producing 11.5 billion barrels of offshore oil would be $332 billion. Hahn and Passell calculate that at $100 per barrel, the net benefits of producing offshore oil would come to $967 billion, or a trillion dollars. They note that even if the total costs were doubled in both scenarios, “the qualitative conclusion that resource development passes any plausible benefit–cost test still holds.”

But perhaps the environmental costs used by Hahn and Passell are too low. Could they be wrong about the cost of greenhouse emissions? Hahn and Passell note that even at the highest social cost of carbon at $321 per ton suggested by British economist Nicholas Stern, the total benefits of producing offshore oil are still positive. In that case, the net benefits drop from $325 billion to $120 billion at $50 per barrel, and from $975 billion to $725 billion at $100 per barrel.

As for other environmental impacts, analysts at the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) have devised a Basic Oil Spill Cost Estimation Model to try to figure out the costs of various types of spills. For example, the EPA model projects that the socioeconomic costs of spills over a million gallons is about $60 per gallon and the environmental costs are $30 per gallon. So if the BP blowout continues as-is for a total of 50 days, it will spew 10 million gallons into the Gulf, resulting in $900 million in costs. Applying the model’s highest socioeconomic sensitivity adjustment factor of 2 raises those costs to $1.2 billion, and applying the EPA formula including the highest vulnerability (wildlife) and habitat sensitivity factor (wetlands) raises those costs to nearly $1 billion, for a total of $2.2 billion.

This figure is basically the same as the total clean up costs of the biggest oil spill in U.S. history: In 1989, the Exxon Valdez oil tanker leaked 250,000 barrels of crude oil (about 10 million gallons) after being run aground on a reef in Alaska’s Prince William Sound. The BP blowout will eclipse the Exxon Valdez spill if it continues flowing for another 33 days. The ultimate clean up costs for the Exxon Valdez accident amounted to about $2.2 billion, with additional legal costs and damage payments of $2.3 billion. Some analysts are estimating that the costs for clean up and payment for economic losses from the BP spill might reach as high as $12.5 billion. As it should be, BP’s corporate leadership has declared that the company will be responsible for paying for the costs of the spill.

In his book, Normal Accidents: Living with High Risk Technologies (1984), Yale University sociologist Charles Perrow noted that when a technology fails, it often does so because “the problem is just something that never occurred to the designers.” Assuming no malfeasance, whatever went wrong with the Deepwater Horizon drill rig will likely uncover just such a problem and future designers will fix it. Progress is a trial and error process, and increasing safety results from learning how to make better trade-offs over time between risks. Despite this current disaster, offshore oil drilling remains a risk well worth taking.

http://reason.com/archives/2010/05/04/weighing-the-benefits-costs-of
Old 05-05-2010, 06:45 PM   #15
charlestudor2005
Valued Poster

Encounters: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjorourke View Post
No, there difference is that there is no incompetent state/local government that blamed their failure on FEMA.
You're right about that. The Hurricane Pam exercise should have warned the state/local gov't, but it did not.

Since you disagree about blame going to the Coast Guard, I guess it will have to squarely sit on the shoulders of private industry. Don't you agree, PJ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansley View Post
ATL would you stay out of trouble. I'd hate to see you go on a mandatory vacation.
Ansley, love your new avatar!!! A cartoon I remember from my childhood. And yes, you do remind me of her. Of course, I resemble some of the dwarfs: Grumpy, Dopey. Certainly not Doc.
charlestudor2005 is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women