Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > New York > Upstate New York > Coed Discussions - Upstate New York
Coed Discussions - Upstate New York Both male and female members can mingle and interact here. Let's keep these discussions on-topic, thought-provoking, and more importantly...entertaining!

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 373
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 264
sharkman29 253
George Spelvin 248
Top Posters
DallasRain70425
biomed160651
Yssup Rider59974
gman4452938
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47586
pyramider46370
bambino40333
CryptKicker37085
Mokoa36487
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35413
Mojojo33117

Old 08-10-2013, 01:49 PM   #1
jackfengshui
Backbencher

Encounters: 1
Default Psychology of Spending

I am often intrigued by the different psychology of spending within and outside of this hobby.

Some of you oldtimers might remember a post I made on the old board called "Free Camera". One day, a provider cancelled on me at the last moment. Instead of pursuing Plan B, I used the free time and unspent cash to go to a store and bought a digital camera that I had wanted to get for quite a while - and I managed to convince myself that I got the camera "for free"

This past week, I took my wife out to dinner at one of the better restaurants in town. The next day, I paid a regular visit to one of my favorite providers. Both outings were very enjoyable. However, even though each cost about the same amount, in my mind, the dinner was a special "splurge", while the session was just a "routine" expenditure.
jackfengshui is offline   Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 03:18 PM   #2
offshoredrilling
Valued Poster

Encounters: 36

which dinner was routine?????
offshoredrilling is offline   Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 03:23 PM   #3
jackfengshui
Backbencher

Quote:
Originally Posted by offshoredrilling View Post
which dinner was routine?????
The one that included the "Y".
Old 08-10-2013, 03:55 PM   #4
offshoredrilling
Valued Poster

Encounters: 36

Y thank you errrrrr what happened to W and h.

must be a nut loose on my keyboard, oh wait, that is a given
offshoredrilling is offline   Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:49 PM   #5
brasil
Valued Poster

Encounters: 46

I think most of us have fallen into the "penny wise, pound foolish" syndrome on multiple occassions.
brasil is offline   Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:45 PM   #6
Tiger
title: for rent

Encounters: 3

I never pursue a plan B. To me, it wouldn't be who I wanted to see, so why bother settling for who I didn't want to see in the first place. I like Jack's solution of buying something you've wanted, but I know I would hold out until I can reschedule plan A.

As an aside to spending psychology - when did genesee and miller lite become premium beers ($7.50 at PGA) heineken & sam adams lager ($6.50 at PGA)
Tiger is offline   Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:55 PM   #7
JONBALLS
Valued Poster

Encounters: 20

Ive been as far as plan e

never would have churned out the income without having been chasing this though

obama...the destroyer

can leave at any time and we all can get focused back on some greedy capitolism..........furr shurr

oohh HAPPY DAYS ARE HERE AGAIN!!....................... .....................eh....sig h
JONBALLS is offline   Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 06:14 AM   #8
jokacz
Valued Poster

Encounters: 44

A penny saved is a penny earned. Fuck it, and drive on.
jokacz is offline   Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:05 AM   #9
Doove
Valued Poster

Encounters: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackfengshui View Post
Instead of pursuing Plan B, I used the free time and unspent cash to go to a store and bought a digital camera that I had wanted to get for quite a while - and I managed to convince myself that I got the camera "for free"
I always manage to surprise myself with how much "free" stuff i can buy with my tax return check each year.

Usually, it's about 1-1/2 to 2 times the amount of stuff vs. what the check actually is. Funny how that works.
Doove is offline   Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:32 PM   #10
Guest121613
Account Disabled

Encounters: 24

I take my wife to the dollar theatre, I have not bought any new toys for the garage in 2 years, my go-phone cost me about $20 a month, I grow my own food, so I have money for providers, lol.
Guest121613 is offline   Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:55 PM   #11
ben dover
Premium Access

Encounters: 101

So ... Jack... What camera did you buy?
ben dover is offline   Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:32 PM   #12
jackfengshui
Backbencher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben dover View Post
So ... Jack... What camera did you buy?
It was just a Canon that happened to cost around $$. That was quite a few years ago, before smart phones became adequate cameras for many people - except, of course, serious photographers like you.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:19 AM   #13
Lexxxy
☆Fictional Character☆

User ID: 29515
My Bio Page
My ECCIE Reviews
Red face

That is very common and relatable.
While I'm on a trip I know my overhead and set a profit goal. I make sure my overhead and decent profit(enough to make it worth the trip) are covered by prebooks. Once I hit my goal and I see others other than my prebooks my brain switches to "extra money","play money", and/or "pamper myself money" because it's more than I had planned on. I'm usually extremely good about it and behave myself with student loans and taxes in mind. With that being said, I'm guilty of giving in to shopping sprees and spa days here and there due to the mentality.
Lexxxy is offline   Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:58 AM   #14
ben dover
Premium Access

Encounters: 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackfengshui View Post
It was just a Canon that happened to cost around $$. That was quite a few years ago, before smart phones became adequate cameras for many people - except, of course, serious photographers like you.
Well Jack thanks for calling me a professional or is it just serious? I do make a part of my living with a camera but it's not as good as it was 20 years ago sadly.... I just bought a new 50mm prime len$, so I wont be hobbying for a while...BD
ben dover is offline   Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 03:23 PM   #15
MC
Valued Poster

Encounters: 61

Outside of my hobby spending, I'm usually pretty cheap as far as buying things for myself. I used to be an avid dvd collector. However, since I became more active in the hobby and having extra spending money became more important, 2 or 3 months will go by before I buy a dvd. Even then, I'll only spend the money if I can get a really good deal. Like recently I bought a dvd for $14 at Best Buy, mainly because it was more than twice as much on Amazon. There's also plenty of free movies available on Youtube, so it's not like I'm seeing less movies than I did before.
MC is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women