Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > The Sandbox - National
The Sandbox - National The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 373
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 264
sharkman29 251
George Spelvin 248
Top Posters
DallasRain70421
biomed160603
Yssup Rider59943
gman4452935
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47564
pyramider46370
bambino40332
CryptKicker37083
Mokoa36487
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35397
Mojojo33117

Old 12-08-2021, 05:58 PM   #106
dilbert firestorm
Premium Access

Encounters: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by eccieuser9500 View Post
Here's to risking points for an open discussion on science:

Staff Edit, Forbidden Topic. dj8
dj8, I think you took too much out of his post, could have left the "pleasant stink" reference intact.
dilbert firestorm is offline   Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 07:46 PM   #107
eccieuser9500
Valued Poster

Encounters: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilbert firestorm View Post
undoubtedly!

readers are going wonder what I meant by "pleasant stink".

The mod took too much out of your post.

I want to redress that, but I can't take another stupid risk. If I'm going to get points, I'm getting them for a very good reason. The other forum.

dj8 was nice enough to brandish only a yellow card. If I would have been assessed points, I would be on a bancation for repeated violations of the same sort. Another ninety day break.

I can do that standing on my head. This place needs people like me to push the boundaries. That's what Dr. Leary did, and I do. Not comparing myself to the man, just saying we are cut from the same cloth.

I'm more Dennis Leary, than Dr. Timothy Leary.

eccieuser9500 is offline   Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 07:44 PM   #108
eccieuser9500
Valued Poster

Water's ultimate freezing point just got lower

https://www.livescience.com/lower-freezing-point-water

Quote:
While the rule of thumb is that water freezes at 32 degrees Fahrenheit (0 degrees Celsius), water can actually stay liquid over a range of chilly temperatures under certain conditions. Until now, it was believed that this range stopped at minus 36 F (minus 38 C); any lower than that, and water must freeze. But in a study published Nov. 30 in the journal Nature Communications, researchers managed to keep droplets of water in a liquid state at temperatures as low as minus 47.2 F (minus 44 C).
Old 12-16-2021, 05:52 PM   #109
eccieuser9500
Valued Poster

I did not know this about the figure of speech. But that's why I do this. To share.

‘Pushing the Envelope’: Don’t Mail It In

https://www.merriam-webster.com/word...nautics-origin

Quote:
The sense of envelope that gave us push the envelope does not come from stationery, even though it might convey the image of someone sweetening an offer (as in a negotiation) by pushing an envelope across a table to another person. Rather, the envelope in push the envelope comes from aeronautics, where it refers to a set of performance limits that may not be safely exceeded.

Scientists unveil drug discovery tool to screen more than 11 billion compounds

https://phys.org/news/2021-12-scient...very-tool.html

Quote:
The creation of virtual libraries was a giant leap in the field. Testing hundreds of thousands of possible molecules, some of which might be candidates with properties worth investigating, sounds like a lot. But there are billions upon billions of possible chemical combinations that could theoretically lead to the creation of a near infinite number of molecules or potential drugs. As a result, scientists wound up creating vast libraries of theoretical compounds, billions of mostly "undiscovered" and unexplored molecules that may or may not bind to a given cellular target; they may or may not have therapeutic value at all.

Old 12-21-2021, 07:37 AM   #110
eccieuser9500
Valued Poster

2021 in review: When a brain blob in a dish grew a pair of ‘eyes’

https://www.newscientist.com/article...-pair-of-eyes/

Quote:
The work may one day lead to new treatments for blindness. But the team involved, at the Heinrich Heine University Düsseldorf in Germany, first needs to manage to keep the “eyes” alive long-term.

Human brain organoids assemble functionally integrated bilateral optic vesicles

https://www.cell.com/cell-stem-cell/...showall%3Dtrue

Quote:
These optic vesicle-containing brain organoids (OVB-organoids) constitute a developing optic vesicle’s cellular components, including primitive corneal epithelial and lens-like cells, retinal pigment epithelia, retinal progenitor cells, axon-like projections, and electrically active neuronal networks. OVB-organoids also display synapsin-1, CTIP-positive myelinated cortical neurons, and microglia. Interestingly, various light intensities could trigger photosensitive activity of OVB-organoids, and light sensitivities could be reset after transient photobleaching. Thus, brain organoids have the intrinsic ability to self-organize forebrain-associated primitive sensory structures in a topographically restricted manner and can allow interorgan interaction studies within a single organoid.

Old 12-22-2021, 09:46 PM   #111
Ducbutter
Valued Poster

Encounters: 1

Quote:
2021 in review: When a brain blob in a dish grew a pair of ‘eyes’

https://www.newscientist.com/article...-pair-of-eyes/

Human brain organoids assemble functionally integrated bilateral optic vesicles

https://www.cell.com/cell-stem-cell/...showall%3Dtrue

I saw an evolutionary psychology lecturer who was making the point that our eyes are not a separate organ attached to our brain but were actually part of our brain outside the braincase. Fascinating!
Ducbutter is offline   Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 06:08 PM   #112
eccieuser9500
Valued Poster

Thank you for your addition.

I remember surfing on YouTube and saw a clip of Joe Rogan's podcast where his scientist guest said "your eyes are part of your brain."

Joe had to take a second and process that. Then moved on. I'm not sure if this scientist and the expirement/study/research are connected.
Old 12-24-2021, 11:11 PM   #113
Ducbutter
Valued Poster

Quote:
Thank you for your addition.

I remember surfing on YouTube and saw a clip of Joe Rogan's podcast where his scientist guest said "your eyes are part of your brain."

Joe had to take a second and process that. Then moved on. I'm not sure if this scientist and the expirement/study/research are connected.
No worries. Great post on your part. Great subject. Did you pay to download the paper?
Relating to the original subject matter of the thread, you might check out a book entitled "The Immortality Key". To sum it up, it's an effort to prove that the early eucharist was likely a psychedelic experience, tying it to the Greeks and Eleusis. I won't spoil it further but it's worth a read.
Old 12-26-2021, 09:47 AM   #114
eccieuser9500
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducbutter View Post
No worries. Great post on your part. Great subject. Did you pay to download the paper?

I did not pay to download the paper. I know there are academic resources where a subscription is needed. I can't recall a specific one I tried to source from.

Another free pool of research papers is https://core.ac.uk/

Quote:
The world’s largest collection of open access research papers
Most, if not all, submissions are pdf's.

Relating to the original subject matter of the thread, you might check out a book entitled "The Immortality Key". To sum it up, it's an effort to prove that the early eucharist was likely a psychedelic experience, tying it to the Greeks and Eleusis. I won't spoil it further but it's worth a read.
Sounds like a trip to read.
Old 12-26-2021, 06:40 PM   #115
Ducbutter
Valued Poster

Quote:
Sounds like a trip to read.
Thanks for the link those papers!
Old 01-02-2022, 01:57 PM   #116
eccieuser9500
Valued Poster

Battle of the Sexes Begins in Womb as Father and Mother’s Genes Tussle Over Nutrition

https://neurosciencenews.com/fetal-g...trition-19850/

Quote:
Source: University of Cambridge

Cambridge scientists have identified a key signal that the fetus uses to control its supply of nutrients from the placenta, revealing a tug-of-war between genes inherited from the father and from the mother. The study, carried out in mice, could help explain why some babies grow poorly in the womb.

The researchers used mice, as it is possible to manipulate their genes to mimic different developmental conditions. This enables them to study in detail the different mechanisms taking place. The physiology and biology of mice have many similarities with those of humans, allowing researchers to model human pregnancy, in order to understand it better.
Old 04-07-2022, 08:06 PM   #117
eccieuser9500
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducbutter View Post

ACADEMIA

https://www.academia.edu/

Quote:
Search the full text and citations of our millions of papers. Download groups of related papers to jumpstart your research. Save time with detailed summaries and search alerts.

A new study suggests that mushrooms can communicate

https://www.npr.org/2022/04/07/10913...an-communicate

Quote:
A scientist at the University of the West of England inserted tiny electrodes into four species of fungi and discovered that shrooms seem to use electrical impulses to communicate internally, say, about food or an injury. The impulse clusters are so intricate, they actually resemble words.

Mushrooms communicate with each other using up to 50 ‘words’, scientist claims

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...language-study

Quote:
“This new paper detects rhythmic patterns in electric signals, of a similar frequency as the nutrient pulses we found,” said Dan Bebber, an associate professor of biosciences at the University of Exeter, and a member of the British Mycological Society’s fungal biology research committee.

“Though interesting, the interpretation as language seems somewhat overenthusiastic, and would require far more research and testing of critical hypotheses before we see ‘Fungus’ on Google Translate.”
Old 04-16-2022, 09:47 AM   #118
eccieuser9500
Valued Poster

Bicycle Day: Honoring The Onset Of The Psychedelic Revolution As It Zooms Across The Globe

https://www.forbes.com/sites/andrewd...oss-the-globe/

Quote:
Some of you may be wondering . . . What is Bicycle Day? On April 19, 1943, the Swiss father of psychedelic medicine Albert Hofmann dropped lysergic acid diethylamide (at 4:20pm, is that a coincidence?) and went on a bike ride, becoming the first human to trip on LSD. As the onset of the psychedelic revolution zooms across the globe at breathtaking speed, this unofficial holiday for psychonauts is an opportunity to reflect on the history of psychedelics and the state of them now.

California Psychedelic Conference
[]
Founder Reggie Harris has created a grassroots gathering designed to showcase the people influencing psychedelic culture and policy, featuring masters of mycology, chemists, medicine workers, underground therapists, policy makers, and psychedelic wellness workers: “There would be no psychedelic community without the legacy community, PERIOD. These people have put their lives on the line and built this culture for us to be a part of. In a day and age when we talk about ‘Land Back’ and Reparations, we have a unique opportunity to structure the psychedelic landscape in a way that will center the people who built this entire thing on their backs, who’ve been to jail and had their families split up. We should be rewarding them for taking those risks.”

Old 04-17-2022, 07:12 PM   #119
dilbert firestorm
Premium Access

Encounters: 4

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/2...e-world-forgot

The forgotten medieval fruit with a vulgar name

(Image credit: Alamy)

By Zaria Gorvett
25th March 2021

Medieval Europeans were fanatical about a strange fruit that could only be eaten rotten. Then it was forgotten altogether. Why did they love it so much? And why did it disappear?

In 2011, archaeologists found something unusual in a Roman toilet.

The team were excavating the ancient village of Tasgetium (now Eschenz, Switzerland), ruled by a Celtic king who was personally given the land by Julius Caesar. It was built on the banks of the river Rhine, along what was then an important trade route – and as a result, its remains have been steeped in water ever since. What should have rotted away centuries ago was uncovered in a remarkable state of preservation, protected by the lack of oxygen in the boggy conditions.

It was here that, nestled among the remains of familiar foods such as plums, damsons, cherries, peaches and walnuts in an ancient cesspit, the archaeologists found 19 curiously large seeds. Though they were, let's say, "deposited" there nearly 2,000 years ago, they almost looked fresh enough to have been found yesterday – except that the fruit they belong to is now so obscure, it can baffle even professional botanists.

The polite, socially acceptable name by which it's currently known is the medlar. But for the best part of 900 years, the fruit was called the "open-arse" – thought to be a reference to the appearance of its own large "calyx" or bottom. The medlar's aliases abroad were hardly more flattering. In France, it was variously known as "la partie postérieure de ce quadrupede" (the posterior part of this quadruped), "cu d'singe" (monkey's bottom), "cu d'ane" (donkey's bottom), and cul de chien (dog's bottom)… you get the idea.

And yet, medieval Europe was crazy about this fruit.

The fruit made regular appearences in artworks, such as this tapestry from around 1500 (Credit: Alamy)

The first record of the medlar's existence is a fragment of Greek poetry from the 7th Century BC. Eventually the fruit is thought to have fallen into the hands of the Romans, who brought it to southern France and Britain. In 800AD, Charlemagne included it on a list of plants that were mandatory in the king's many gardens, and nearly 200 years later, the English abbot and writer Ælfric of Eynsham first committed its rather rude sobriquet to the public record.

From there, the fruit's popularity steadily increased. It became a staple of medieval monasteries and royal courtyards, as well as public spaces such as village greens.

It's featured in Chaucer's Canterbury Tales, Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet, and the two-time queen consort Anne of Brittany's Book of Hours a kind of illustrated religious manuscript popular in the Middle Ages. Henry VIII had the medlar planted at Hampton Court, and gifted his French counterpart with large quantities.

The fruit reached its peak in the 1600s when it was widely grown across England – as ordinary as apples, pears, mulberries and quince. From this lofty pinnacle, it underwent a steady decline. It was still widely known until the early 20th Century, though less celebrated. Then in the 1950s it abruptly vanished from the public consciousness altogether.

Once a household name, described by one Roman commentator as amounting "almost to a craze", now the medlar is primarily grown as a romantic relic from the past – a niche plant for eccentric gardeners and a historical curiosity at palaces and museums.

Just a few decades after it disappeared, it was already mysterious to many greengrocers. In 1989, one American academic wrote that "probably not one in a hundred" botanists had seen a medlar. Today it's not sold at a single British supermarket. Where there are still plants growing in public spaces, they often go unrecognised and are left to rot on the ground.

What was it about this strange fruit that gripped medieval Europe, and why did it disappear?

Medlar trees are unfussy and long-lived, with even the most venerable specimens producing hundreds of fruit each year (Credit: Alamy)

It's not known for sure where the medlar originated, but some believe that it was domesticated around 3,000 years ago in Western Asia, by the Caspian Sea – where there are many different types to this day.

"Medlar" and "open-arse" can be used to refer to both the fruit and the shrub-like tree on which it's grown, Mespilus germanica – a close relative of roses, crab apples, and quinces. With a tangle of twisted, contorting branches at the base and a satisfying rounded canopy of elongated leaves, it was not only renowned for its fruit, but its aesthetic. Each spring, this is studded with single, star-shaped flowers which appear at such regular intervals that they could almost be painted on. By the autumn, the tree is a kaleidoscope of colours – green, yellow, brown and blood red.

The fruit are unusual for two reasons. Firstly, they're harvested in December – making them one of very few sources of sugar that would have been available in medieval winters. Secondly, they only become edible when they're rotten.

When they're first picked, medlars are greenish brown and resemble oddly-shaped onions or alien-looking persimmons. If they're eaten straight away, they can make you violently ill – one 18th Century doctor and botanist said that they cause diarrhoea. But if you put them in a crate of sawdust or straw and forget about them for several weeks, they gradually darken and their hard, astringent flesh softens to the consistency of a baked apple.

The exact chemical mechanism involved remains elusive, but broadly, enzymes in the fruit break down complex carbohydrates into simple sugars such as fructose and glucose, and it becomes richer in malic acid – the main culprit behind the sour taste of other fruits such as apples. Meanwhile, harsh tannins, which contribute to the bitter astringency of younger red wines, and antioxidants such as ascorbic acid (Vitamin C), are depleted.

Medlar jam was a popular Christmas gift in the late 19th century (Credit: Alamy)

The process is known as "bletting", a word made-up by a botanist who noticed there wasn't one in 1839. The result is an ultra-sweet fruit with a complex flavour, like over-ripe dates mingled with lemons, and a slightly grainy texture. "When they are perfectly ripe, they are absolutely delicious to eat on their own," says Jane Steward, who planted 120 medlar trees at her Norfolk orchard in 2015 – possibly the largest collection in the UK.

However, if rotten fruit doesn't sound particularly enticing to you, you're in good company. In fact, even when the fruit was at its height of popularity, it still divided opinion.

A humorous research paper from 1989 gathered together some classic put-downs, including "At best, it is only one degree better than a rotten apple" – from a 19th Century gardening book – and "the medlar is not… worth a turd until it's ripe, and then it tastes like shit" – reportedly the opinion of an anonymous medieval author.

Then there's the question of how to eat a medlar. In less genteel company, people would have simply held one up to their face and sucked the flesh out directly. On the other hand, in aristocratic circles the fruit was commonly brought to the table along with the cheese course – still coated in the sawdust in which it was bletted – and scooped out with a spoon. It could also be baked, roasted, made into jelly, added to tarts, or turned into brandy or cider.

Medlars were de rigeur at medieval banquets (Credit: Alamy)

Apart from the obvious sexual allusions that can be made with a fruit with so many vulgar nicknames, it's thought that the medlar's quirky need for rotting partly explains why they made it into so many literary works – medieval audiences lapped up the symbolism of a fruit that is rotten before it's ripe. In Chaucer's Canterbury Tales, he draws a comparison with the fruit – "But if I fare as dooth an open-ers" – to lament the onset of old age and how he doesn't think men achieve their full ability to lie, boast, covet and become angry until they're weakened and elderly.

However, bletting may also have been the medlar's downfall. The fruit was still a familiar winter staple throughout the late 19th and early 20th centuries, and during World War Two, the British government encouraged people to forage for it – it's included in this Dig For Victory jam-making advice. Then soon afterwards, it vanished from the shops forever.

One possible reason is that tropical fruits such as bananas and pineapples became cheaper, and these are harvested year-round, so there was no longer any need for this winter delicacy.

But Steward's experiences in the industry also hint that the awkward extra step of bletting, combined with the fact that no one wants to spend days outside picking fruit in the winter, may have helped to finish it off. "We have romantic notions about sunny days and wicker baskets and open toe sandals in this country – not standing around on short-daylight days harvesting fruit," she says.

Today medlar trees can still be found scattered across Europe, sometimes posing as hedges in the countryside or ornamental trees in gardens – they're still there, but they have to be tracked down. Steward's personal favourite was planted at Langley Abbey in Norfolk in around 1820. "It's still pushing out fruit 200 years later – it's breathtakingly beautiful," she says.

Each medlar fruit contains four or five large stones (Credit: Alamy)

But this is not quite the end of the story.

In the medlar's native territory near the Caspian Sea, the fruit remains as popular as ever. It's still widely grown in Iran, Azerbaijan, Kyrgyzstan, Georgia and Turkey, where it's sold in markets as musmula. Steward says she once received a message from a Kyrgyzstani family who had moved to England and were desperate to recreate the experience of foraging for wild medlars that they had to leave behind.

The plant also has a long history as a folk medicine in the region. In the rural province of Gīlān in northern Iran, medlar leaves, bark, fruits and wood are traditionally used to treat a range of ailments, such as diarrhoea, stomach bloating and menstrual irregularities.

Intriguingly, this is similar to how it was used in medieval Europe. The 17th Century botanist and doctor Nicholas Culpeper wrote that the medlar could be help women "when their courses flow too abundant", and a poultice made from the dried fruit, beaten and mixed with cloves, nutmeg, red coral and the juice of red roses could be applied to ease the stomach.

Fast-forward to 2021, and the medlar is now not quite so little-known in Europe as it once was. It's begun quietly sneaking back into public awareness – largely thanks to the efforts of enthusiasts such as Steward, who markets her own range of medlar products, including jam and gin.

If the trend continues, perhaps the fruit will soon have a new generation of unspeakable names to go by.

Zaria Gorvett is a senior journalist for BBC Future and tweets @ZariaGorvett
dilbert firestorm is offline   Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 05:22 PM   #120
eccieuser9500
Valued Poster

Thanks dilbert.

When Will Humanity Become a Type I Civilization? A New Paper Explores Our Limits

BRIAN KOBERLEIN, UNIVERSE TODAY

20 APRIL 2022

https://www.sciencealert.com/astroph...i-civilization

Quote:
So what type of civilization are we? Although humans use a tremendous amount of energy, it turns out we don't even qualify as Type I.

About 1016 Watts of solar energy reaches Earth on average, and humanity currently uses about 1013 Watts. On Sagan sliding scale, that puts us currently at about 0.73.
Not bad for a bunch of evolved primates, but it raises an interesting question. Could we even reach Type I?

Avoiding the Great Filter: Predicting the Timeline for Humanity to Reach Kardashev Type I Civilization

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women