Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > Texas > Houston > The Sandbox - Houston
The Sandbox - Houston The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here. If it's NOT an adult-themed topic, then it belongs here

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 373
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 266
sharkman29 253
George Spelvin 250
Top Posters
DallasRain70466
biomed160928
Yssup Rider60189
gman4453020
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47729
pyramider46370
bambino40433
CryptKicker37105
Mokoa36487
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35624
Mojojo33117

Old 09-08-2010, 04:50 AM   #16
ExNavyInHouston
Gaining Momentum

Here's a cool photo essay of a trip out to Messina Hof Winery up in Bryan.

Days of Wine & Poses: Messina Hof offers a grape stompin' good time
ExNavyInHouston is offline   Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:59 AM   #17
Guest101811-3
Account Disabled

Encounters: 17

If it's still at specs, try the windy ridge cab or merlot (about 8.50) or any of the hahn wines, especially the meritage (about 13 last time I checked).
Guest101811-3 is offline   Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 10:33 PM   #18
ExNavyInHouston
Gaining Momentum

Today I went to Spec's and met of with one of the guys in the wine section.

I had printed out my list of suggestions you guys mentioned. He ran with some your choices, but also made alternate suggestions on the fly. He wasn't baiting and switching, as the price points stay very close.

Below are a list of the wines I bought and some brief info on each one. Over the next couple weeks I give them a try and tell you my thoughts. Just keep in mind my thoughts are uneducated. I'm just going to rate them with the average guy mentality. In other words, is it smooth, and does it give you a good buzz?

Interesting notes: Most of my choices are UNDER $10, but I sampled through the price range up to $30.

The guy at Spec's handed me his card and told me that if I opened any of the bottles and was unhappy, to re-cork it and bring it back and they would replace it with another comparable selection. That's a great policy.

Here are the selections from least to most:

----------------------------------------------------

Winery: Panarroz
Jumilla 2006
Spec's Price: $7.99

The Hype: A blend of 58% Monastrell, 26% Garnacha and 16% Syrah.

Plummy, blackberry aromas, with spicy, peppery notes on the nose. Bold fruit and silky tannins on the palate.

Interesting fact I learned while this wine up:

Jumilla was one of the few places in Europe spared during the Phylloxera epidemic of the late 1800's. Virtually everywhere else on the continent, vineyards were devastated and, to this day, can only be planted when grafted onto American rootstock.

For Jumilla, the key to its vineyards' survival was their sandy soil—which is anathema to the Phylloxera insect. As a glorious consequence, Jumilla not only has some of the oldest vines in the world, but also the largest number of ungrafted vines. Most of these vines are Mourvèdre, or Monastrell as it is locally known, one of the most prized varieties of Mediterranean Europe. And Jumilla's summers boast hot days and cool nights, perfect for ripening grapes, while maintaining acidity.

Winery: Bogle Vineyards
Petite Sirah 2008
Spec's Price: $8.80

The Hype: Thirty-two years after it was first produced by the Bogle family in 1978, Petite Sirah is today considered Bogle’s “heritage” varietal. Once again the trademark qualities shine through in a wine that is the perfect integration of fruit and oak.

Full-bodied on the entry, aromas of black plum jam and toasty oak set the stage for what is to come. Vibrant boysenberries and luscious fruit are framed by serious tannins, while wisps of leather and vanilla seduce just enough. A final touch of acidity finishes the wine with a precisely balanced mouthfeel.

Winery: Messina Hof
Cabernet Sauvignon - Barrel Reserve 2008
Spec's Price: $8.94

The Hype: This is a wonderful blend of Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot with flavors of rich pepper and spice. This wine is a rich, full-bodied red wine with luscious oak and berry flavors. It is the perfect wine for beef, lamb, venison and spicy sauces. It was a gold medal winner at the Tasters Guild International and a champion wine at the Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo.

75% Cab / 25% Merlot

Winery: Llano Estacado
Shiraz - Vintner's Selection 2008
Spec's Price: $8.99

The Hype: Llano Estacado Winery has produced Shiraz for seven years now. When first released in 2001 it was made entirely from our Texas fruit. In order to meet the overwhelming demand that has developed over the years, we have brought wine in from California (Central Coast AVA0 and Washington State (Columbia Valley AVA) to blend with our Texas Shiraz until further Texas plantings come of age.

Shiraz is a well known variety of the Mediterranean with its history dating back to the south of France where it is known as Syrah.

Llano Shiraz is made in a style that accentuates the berry fruit flavor components that naturally occur in the grape. This style was made popular by the Australian wine industry where it is know as Shiraz. This wine has a lush pallet and is packed with blackberry aromas, rich soft tannins and a smooth finish. This is a perfect wine to pour with your favorite pizza.

Winery: Santero
Moscato D'Asti 2009
Spec's Price: $9.99

The Hype: The grapes, picked manually, are immediately pressed and their must, filtered and refrigerated, is conserved at a low temperature until the following fermentation phase, in order to preserve the freshness of its bouquet.

The sparkling process is carried out by using the "Charmat" method at a controlled temperature.
Appearance: More or less intense, straw yellow.
Flavor: Aromatic, delicate and sweet, balanced.
Best served with: Perfect with desserts, especially with pastries.

Interesting Article:

How to Drink Moscatoi

Winery: Pedroncelli
Dry Creek Valley Zinfandel - Mother Clone 2008
Spec's Price: $10.34

The Hype: Purple-red in color, our Mother Clone Zinfandel is full bodied with many classic Dry Creek Valley characteristics: aromas of ripe blackberry and spice, jammy fruit flavors framed with subtle black pepper spice. This is a concentrated wine that offers a great balance of fruit, spice and tannin combined with a long, lush finish. Enjoy now or cellar for three more years.

Technical Information: Composition: 89% Zinfandel 11% Petite Sirah Aging: 11 months in a blend of new French oak and seasoned American Oak.

Winery: Jean-Louis Trocard
Rose' - Bordeaux
Spec's Price: $10.52

The Hype: 30% Merlot / 30% Cabernet Franc / 40% Cabernet Sauvignon

I bought this for a lady friend of mine for the next time she visits. I don't see myself liking this one, but I'll give it a try.

Winery: Castle Rock
Mendocino County*Pinot Noir 2009
Spec's Price: $11.55

The Hype: This elegant and medium-bodied wine has delicate aromas of violet and rose petals, complex flavors and long silky textures, with layers of strawberry and raspberry leading into a long refined finish.

Winery: CA' Momi
Cabernet Sauvignon 2007
Spec's Price: $17.98

The Hype: This wonderfully ripe wine has a rich palate, a complex nose and lots of layers, providing depth and a nice dense color. This Cabernet is softly complex, rich in cassis, cherry, spice, chocolate and oak flavors, anchored with warm earthy tannins - balancing nicely with sweet vanilla and chocolate toasted oak.

Winery: Viñedos y Bodegas Pablo
Gran Viu Selleccion Cariñena Selección 2002
Spec's Price: $24.98

The Hype: This wine is from the Cariñena (Spain) region. Very intense cherry color and powerful, complex spicy aromas. The mature fruity flavors, sweet tannins, and balanced acidity lead into the lush powerful finish.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:28 AM   #19
ExNavyInHouston
Gaining Momentum

Winery: Bogle Vineyards
Petite Sirah 2008
Spec's Price: $8.80

Thanks for this suggestion. I had this bottle last week. Nice "supermarket" wine (that's how the Spec's guy described it).

In comparing, I would say I prefer the Llano Shiraz. I think I will make that my benchmark.

Of course, nothing I say here on this threads means doodle to anyone else. Our tongues are just too different for what I say to matter. Plus, my tongue doesn't know what the hell it's talking about.

But, this can be my wine log for future buys, and if somehow it helps someone else, or garners more suggestions from you guys then all the better.

Next up:

Winery: Messina Hof
Cabernet Sauvignon - Barrel Reserve 2008
Spec's Price: $8.94

I remembered liking this more before. Way too much alcohol vapors and less flavor than I remember. In time it started tasting better. It could have been I was drinking it with my popcorn. Maybe not the perfect pairing - hehe!
Old 09-19-2010, 10:35 AM   #20
Dad
Valued Poster

Encounters: 19

If you ever see Blue Rock at any liquor store, grab it quick!
Dad is offline   Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 10:39 AM   #21
ExNavyInHouston
Gaining Momentum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
If you ever see Blue Rock at any liquor store, grab it quick!
Thanks for the tip: From this list, what do you recommend:

Blue Rock Portfolio

Specs doesn't list it, but this is from Blue Rock's Order Form (per bottle):

2004 Blue Rock Estate Cabernet $47.00
2006 Blue Rock Cabernet $39.95
2005 Best Barrels Cabernet $79.00
2006 Blue Rock Estate Syrah $29.95
2007 Baby Blue Estate Cabernet $29.95
Old 09-19-2010, 10:54 AM   #22
Dad
Valued Poster

Encounters: 19

Blue Rock Cab of course!
Dad is offline   Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 07:56 PM   #23
ExNavyInHouston
Gaining Momentum

Winery: Pedroncelli
Dry Creek Valley Zinfandel - Mother Clone 2008
Spec's Price: $10.34

If you're a True Blood fan then you will get the reference- this the real deal.

I don't think anyone would be offended by this wine. Very nice!

I promise I'm writing this on the first glass
Old 09-20-2010, 09:51 PM   #24
ExNavyInHouston
Gaining Momentum

Jumilla 2006

Holy Crap ... this is an $8 wine. If velvet and butter had a baby.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:53 PM   #25
OneInAMillion
Valued Poster

Encounters: 15

I actually had a Spec guy recommend a couple of Spanish wines, with Panarroz being one. I choose the other two he recommended (liked one). For the price, I will probably pick one up next visit. I will try some of the listed Texas wines, never ventured. I love Spain and Argentina, usually great buys.

The employees at Spec have always been happy to help. Being upfront about price range helps tremendously. I usually tell them a couple of bottles to clue them on what type of wine I like. I have had them usually recommend a wine or two that is below my price range.

Has anyone checked out Haak winery (in Santa Fe, TX)? They have a Sunday concert series that is supposedly a good time (heard from a co-worker). Will report if I venture down that way.
OneInAMillion is offline   Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:33 AM   #26
ExNavyInHouston
Gaining Momentum

Quote:
Jumilla 2006

OneInAMillion ... I'll continue to try Spanish and Argentinian wines. Thanks for the Haak Winery events. I'm always looking for a motorcycle destination.

I didn't want to run back to this thread last night and make an update because it seemed trivial at the time, but as I had another glass or two the flavor seemed to change from the initial swirl, sniff and taste.

The first swish around the mouth was awesome. But, as I continued to drink it became a little more tangy.

Sorry if "tangy" is not a wine word, but I warned everyone from the beginning I am unskilled, but enthusiastic (much like my sex - hehe).

I would buy this wine again, I'm just not as wild about it as I originally was.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:40 AM   #27
ThatManFromTexas
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisyphus View Post

$30 = Marques de Caceres, Gran Reserva 2001 Rioja. Prob another $1 with tax but well worth it when you just wanna have one hell of a bottle of wine!!
I keep that in stock. It is excellent. The 2001 is getting harder to find, the newer years are good also and step down in price as they get newer.

ThatManFromTexas is offline   Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 04:56 PM   #28
Jusanotherdude
Ambassadude

Encounters: 24

There are a couple that I like that are in the inexpensive variety......

Any of the Coppola diamond label bottles (depending on what's your fancy)
My personal favorites in order of this particular vinyard:
Claret -Black label w/gold metal twine wrapped around it. -Full bodied, slightly sweet, but with a nice spicey nose overall good wine for ANYONE's pallet
Cab -White/ivory label -Fuller bodied than the above mentioned. Dryer and much spicer. Sweet wine drinkers probably won't like this, cab drinkers will.
The Lighter and White wines w/o description but in order of my preference:
Sauvingnon Blanc -yellow label
Pinot Grigio -Green Label
Chardonay -Orange label
All of which are good, but will not be of the sweater variety and the chard is not too oakey

The Diamond Collection are all good in their own right from my experience. All are very "Non offensive" one way or another, and are quality and consistant.

A few others off the top of my head:
Penfolds is another good vinyard -Shiraz in particular
Beringer Chenin Blanc -Another really tasty "non offensive" wine good for all wine drinkers
Clos du Bois is not bad either... Chardonay is a bit oakey for me... but cab is lighter and tasty

That's all I got for now..... some of my all time favs they either no longer make, or have gone up out of the $20 (some over the $100 from under $20).

Let me know if you wanna delv into the middle-upper end of some of these bottles.... It was a nasty little expensive hobby for me for a while.

Enjoy!

JaD
Jusanotherdude is offline   Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 05:35 PM   #29
ExNavyInHouston
Gaining Momentum

Quote:
It was a nasty little expensive hobby for me for a while.
I hardly ever drank wine until about 4 years ago when my mom's boyfriend bought me one of those wine fridges. The money I spent to keep that thing looking full was outrageous.

Then I took a 20 month hiatus from alcohol - hmmm, I wonder if they were connected?

Now that I'm out of time out, I'm enjoying the grape juice again.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:25 PM   #30
dearhunter
Dr. Wonderful

A nice Argentina malbec
dearhunter is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women