Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > The Political Forum
The Political Forum Discuss anything related to politics in this forum. World politics, US Politics, State and Local.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 373
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 265
sharkman29 253
George Spelvin 248
Top Posters
DallasRain70438
biomed160743
Yssup Rider60095
gman4452947
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47639
pyramider46370
bambino40352
CryptKicker37097
Mokoa36487
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35474
Mojojo33117

Old 09-24-2021, 01:53 PM   #226
Tiny
Lifetime Premium Access

Encounters: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
Wyden's still pushing his mark to market capital gains tax, but apparently now only for billionaires. That's from press reports. I believe Biden is now backing him up on this.
I just took another dump and saw this:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...vestment-gains

Biden is now officially supporting Wyden's proposal for a mark to market tax on billionaires.
Tiny is offline   Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 05:24 PM   #227
eccieuser9500
Valued Poster

Encounters: 46

I listen to the market reports on NPR and I still don't get it. What the fuck is mark to market capital gains tax?

I know your money making money being taxed is a capital gain tax. That's it. I never heard the phrase or term mark to market at all this week. Not that I listen dutifully. Just want to be in the know.

Letters.

Not numbers.
eccieuser9500 is offline   Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 07:56 PM   #228
Tiny
Lifetime Premium Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by eccieuser9500 View Post
I listen to the market reports on NPR and I still don't get it. What the fuck is mark to market capital gains tax?

I know your money making money being taxed is a capital gain tax. That's it. I never heard the phrase or term mark to market at all this week. Not that I listen dutifully. Just want to be in the know.
Here's an example.

Eccieuser starts posting video links on line and becomes the equivalent of a top tier DJ (VJ?), and an extremely successful influencer on social media. He ends up with a cool $176 million. That seems like an odd number, but please bear with me.

There is no escape from death and taxes, and President Biden has done away with the Trump tax cuts, so Eccieuser pays a 43.4% tax on the $176 million, which takes his nest egg down to $100 million. Thank goodness he lives in Texas, not California, which has a 13.3% state tax rate, or he'd be down from $176 million to "only" $76 million.

He has a Forrest Gump moment and figures, what the fuck, I'm going to invest it all in Apple Stock. So he goes out and buys $100 million worth of Apple.

At the end of the year that Apple stock is worth $200 million. Normally Eccieuser wouldn't have to pay tax on that $100 million paper gain. But under mark-to-market accounting, he's going to pay 43.4% of that, or $43.4 million to the IRS, even though he didn't pocket a single cent.

Let's say the next year the stock doubles again. So now Eccieuser has a $200 million mark-to-market gain. Well at the end of the year he'll need to pay $86.8 million (43.4% tax on the gain). And so on.

Hopefully Eccieuser has a very wealthy sugarmomma to pay his taxes.

Now what if you don't just own stock? What happens if you own a bunch of small fractional interests in real estate, pieces of partnerships, a few paintings, some collectible coins and stamps, etc., etc.? You've got to know how much they appreciate in value every year to pay the tax. If the IRS works this like they do the estate tax, then you're going to have to get appraisers every year to calculate the tax, or alternately be willing to be on the hook for underpayment of tax, penalties and interest for the rest of your life if the IRS someday deems your estimated values to be too low. Some people are going to spend all their time and money getting valuations and getting info ready for their accountants, so they don't have time to work. If they don't have time to work they don't make much money and so don't pay as much in tax. I call this the "Tiny curve." It works like the Laffer curve, only the X axis is how much time you spend on your taxes:

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/l...0tax%20revenue.
Tiny is offline   Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 08:12 PM   #229
Tiny
Lifetime Premium Access

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention one thing. After two years, Eccieuser has paid $130.2 million in taxes under mark-to-market accounting, and he has $400 million in stock. He hasn't sold a single share. What happens if Apple goes bankrupt and Eccieuser loses everything? Will the government give him some of that $130.2 million back? Well, no, but they will let him deduct $3,000 of that loss every year against ordinary income.
Tiny is offline   Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 09:16 PM   #230
eccieuser9500
Valued Poster

Quote:
Here's an example.

Eccieuser starts posting video links on line and becomes the equivalent of a top tier DJ (VJ?), and an extremely successful influencer on social media. He ends up with a cool $176 million. That seems like an odd number, but please bear with me.

There is no escape from death and taxes, and President Biden has done away with the Trump tax cuts, so Eccieuser pays a 43.4% tax on the $176 million, which takes his nest egg down to $100 million. Thank goodness he lives in Texas, not California, which has a 13.3% state tax rate, or he'd be down from $176 million to "only" $76 million.

He has a Forrest Gump moment and figures, what the fuck, I'm going to invest it all in Apple Stock. So he goes out and buys $100 million worth of Apple.

At the end of the year that Apple stock is worth $200 million. Normally Eccieuser wouldn't have to pay tax on that $100 million paper gain. But under mark-to-market accounting, he's going to pay 43.4% of that, or $43.4 million to the IRS, even though he didn't pocket a single cent.

Let's say the next year the stock doubles again. So now Eccieuser has a $200 million mark-to-market gain. Well at the end of the year he'll need to pay $86.8 million (43.4% tax on the gain). And so on.

Now what if you don't just own stock? What happens if you own a bunch of small fractional interests in real estate, pieces of partnerships, a few paintings, some collectible coins and stamps, etc., etc.? You've got to know how much they appreciate in value every year to pay the tax. If the IRS works this like they do the estate tax, then you're going to have to get appraisers every year to calculate the tax, or alternately be willing to be on the hook for underpayment of tax, penalties and interest for the rest of your life if the IRS someday deems your estimated values to be too low. Some people are going to spend all their time and money getting valuations and getting info ready for their accountants, so they don't have time to work. If they don't have time to work they don't make much money and so don't pay as much in tax. I call this the "Tiny curve." It works like the Laffer curve, only the X axis is how much time you spend on your taxes:

Quote:
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention one thing. After two years, Eccieuser has paid $130.2 million in taxes under mark-to-market accounting, and he has $400 million in stock. He hasn't sold a single share. What happens if Apple goes bankrupt and Eccieuser loses everything? Will the government give him some of that $130.2 million back? Well, no, but they will let him deduct $3,000 of that loss every year against ordinary income.

Parse this with sober energy. I like the numbers you use.

To all that shit:

I am reminded of a dear Senior High School English (I just realized the significance) teacher. I don't remember the work, but essentially an industrial revolution picture piece. Perplexed, I asked him how these people could do nothing all day and still be angry at the staff? "Living off investments."

I work for a living. Worrying about; or in the case of the late nineteenth century English gentry, not worrying about, how I'm going to eat tomorrow is something I shouldn't have to worry about.

Are you worried how you will eat tomorrow? It is a sad state of affairs when those seeking asylum from a politically unstable country hit by two earthquakes in ten years don't want to come hear out of fear. Where people still get to keep their three vacation homes after paying a little tax.

Old 09-24-2021, 09:21 PM   #231
billthecat46
Registered Member

Quote:
Here's an example.

I'm a bit curious about your math. Where do you get that 43.4% tax rate from? The top marginal tax rate for income is 37%. If you add in the Medicare tax for the self employed (2.9%) that would be 39.9%. The top tax rate for capital gains is 20% and I don't believe you pay taxes on that until you sell the stock. Capital gains on collectibles (like gold) is 28% and is payed during the year they are sold. Quite frankly anyone who makes $173 million and can't figure out ways to shield any of his income from taxes deserves to pay through the nose. Even I know how to put money in tax deferred financial instruments.
billthecat46 is offline   Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 09:26 PM   #232
eccieuser9500
Valued Poster

Tiny, I had nothing to do with this.

Old 09-24-2021, 09:33 PM   #233
Tiny
Lifetime Premium Access

Quote:
Parse this with sober energy. I like the numbers you use.

To all that shit: I am reminded of a dear Senior High School English (I just realized the significance) teacher. I don't remember the work, but essentially an industrial revolution picture piece. Perplexed, I asked him how these people could do nothing all day and still be angry at the staff? "Living off investments."

I work for a living. Worrying about; or in the case of the late nineteenth century English gentry, not worrying about, how I'm going to eat tomorrow is something I shouldn't have to worry about.

Are you worried how you will eat tomorrow? It is a sad state of affairs when those seeking asylum from a politically unstable country hit by two earthquakes in ten years don't want to come hear out of fear. Where people still get to keep their three vacation homes after paying a little tax.

Thanks, no cigar in his mouth this time! I used a passive investment in shares of stock as an example because that's an easy way to explain how a mark to market tax would work. But the majority of the people affected own their own businesses. They're investing their blood, sweat, tears, and most importantly business profits back into their companies. If you make them write a pay the IRS every year for profits they never realized, it's going to hurt them, their employees, and their customers. There are exceptions, but most of the profits are invested in worthwhile ways, not in third homes and yachts and the like.

I'm a big believer in the invisible hand. Provide a basic social safety net, insure our children are able to make it, provide for decent public infrastructure, and leave as much as possible in the private sector. The federal government is inefficient and mucks up a lot of what it touches. I don't feel so strongly about local and state government though. Where I live, I think they do a good job with the money we pay them.
Tiny is offline   Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 09:42 PM   #234
eccieuser9500
Valued Poster

Quote:
Thanks, no cigar in his mouth this time! I used a passive investment in shares of stock as an example because that's an easy way to explain how a mark to market tax would work. But the majority of the people affected own their own businesses. They're investing their blood, sweat, tears, and most importantly business profits back into their companies. If you make them write a pay the IRS every year for profits they never realized, it's going to hurt them, their employees, and their customers. There are exceptions, but most of the profits are invested in worthwhile ways, not in third homes and yachts and the like.

I'm a big believer in the invisible hand. Provide a basic social safety net, insure our children are able to make it, provide for decent public infrastructure, and leave as much as possible in the private sector. The federal government is inefficient and mucks up a lot of what it touches. I don't feel so strongly about local and state government though. Where I live, I think they do a good job with the money we pay them.

Gated community. For them, I thank you.

Still not passed . . .

the fuck out.
Old 09-24-2021, 09:42 PM   #235
Tiny
Lifetime Premium Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by billthecat46 View Post
I'm a bit curious about your math. Where do you get that 43.4% tax rate from? The top marginal tax rate for income is 37%. If you add in the Medicare tax for the self employed (2.9%) that would be 39.9%. The top tax rate for capital gains is 20% and I don't believe you pay taxes on that until you sell the stock. Capital gains on collectibles (like gold) is 28% and is payed during the year they are sold. Quite frankly anyone who makes $173 million and can't figure out ways to shield any of his income from taxes deserves to pay through the nose. Even I know how to put money in tax deferred financial instruments.
Please note that I made the assumption that "President Biden has done away with the Trump tax cuts." If he didn't then the tax would be 37% plus the net investment income tax (Obamacare tax) of 3.8%, or 40.8% total. The 43.4% is the 39.6% base rate under Obama plus the 3.8% Obamacare tax.

You say, "Quite frankly anyone who makes $173 million and can't figure out ways to shield any of his income from taxes deserves to pay through the nose. Even I know how to put money in tax deferred financial instruments." Well, that's not the way the system should work. People shouldn't be motivated to sell risky businesses and investments and invest the proceeds in tax free municipal bonds and the like. But that's what happens when tax rates are too high. It's much better to get rid of the loopholes.

Midnight and I were discussing this somewhere in this thread. If government is going to take 50%+ of the profits IF your investment works out, what's the motivation to invest? Or to start a business? It's a sucker's game.
Tiny is offline   Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 09:47 PM   #236
eccieuser9500
Valued Poster

Quote:
Please note that I made the assumption that "President Biden has done away with the Trump tax cuts." If he didn't then the tax would be 37% plus the net investment income tax (Obamacare tax) of 3.8%, or 40.8% total. The 43.4% is the 39.6% base rate under Obama plus the 3.8% Obamacare tax.

You say, "Quite frankly anyone who makes $173 million and can't figure out ways to shield any of his income from taxes deserves to pay through the nose. Even I know how to put money in tax deferred financial instruments." Well, that's not the way the system should work. People shouldn't be motivated to sell risky businesses and investments and invest the proceeds in tax free municipal bonds and the like. But that's what happens when tax rates are too high. It's much better to get rid of the loopholes.

Midnight and I were discussing this somewhere in this thread. If government is going to take 50%+ of the profits IF your investment works out, what's the motivation to invest? Or to start a business? It's a sucker's game.

Old 09-24-2021, 09:49 PM   #237
Tiny
Lifetime Premium Access

Quote:
Gated community. For them, I thank you.
I don't subscribe to the belief that the people exist for the benefit of the government. Rather, the government should exist for the benefit of the people. We're not their slaves, even though many of them think we are.
Tiny is offline   Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 10:05 PM   #238
eccieuser9500
Valued Poster

Quote:
I don't subscribe to the belief that the people exist for the benefit of the government. Rather, the government should exist for the benefit of the people. We're not their slaves, even though many of them think we are.

I'd be weary, if I were you, about using the word slave. But that's neither here nor there.

Regulation.

If the people are the government, then the people damn sure exist for the benefit of themselves.

The big tobacco hearings won't work on you. So, let's say we let the pharmaceutical industry just keep raising the costs because we need their drugs to live. So you can eat.

Sometimes a cigar,

is just a cigar.
Old 09-24-2021, 10:16 PM   #239
Tiny
Lifetime Premium Access

Crony capitalists, like Shrekle, exist because politicians and bureaucrats let them.
Tiny is offline   Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 10:20 PM   #240
winn dixie
Premium Access

Encounters: 22

Country folks can survive......

We will always be able to eat! We were taught how to survive .

We dont rely on the govt to feed us.

Give a man a fish so he may eat that day

Teach a man to fish so he may provide for himself
winn dixie is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women