Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > Texas > Austin > The Sandbox - Austin
The Sandbox - Austin The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here. If it's NOT an adult-themed topic, then it belongs here

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 373
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 264
sharkman29 253
George Spelvin 248
Top Posters
DallasRain70425
biomed160651
Yssup Rider59974
gman4452938
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47586
pyramider46370
bambino40333
CryptKicker37085
Mokoa36487
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35413
Mojojo33117

Old 01-05-2014, 02:41 PM   #16
Skip_8
Valued Poster

Encounters: 61

This new coach is like the backup QB...everyone loves him and wants to see him play.

You know how that story goes.

Let's see what he can do.
Skip_8 is offline   Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 02:42 PM   #17
pappideaux
Valued Poster

Encounters: 1

I think Mack Brown was a very good coach who unfortunately could not consistently prepare his later teams. Even though those later teams were still stockpiled with future NFL caliber talent. His later teams also lacked any kind of identity. There identity seemed to be- "well whatever works this week".

However I tie the failures of the last few seasons to Texas' "Win Now" mentality that cropped up after the National Championship game and their later successes with Colt McCoy"

Texas fans seem to forget that the patient cultivation of Vince Young took a season and a half to complete. Colt McCoy was a close enough approximation of Vince Young so 'horns could retain much of their basic offense.

After Colt left Mack no longer had the patience to bring a young QB along. And the local press certainly didn't help.
pappideaux is offline   Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 02:46 PM   #18
carpenter
Lifetime Premium Access

Encounters: 4

Strong might do well at UT but we will have to wait and see. David Ash is no Terry B., and college football is becoming a QB driven game. It would seem that Strong was 4th pick. Not counting Saban. Fisher, Briles, Mora seemed to be the top three. Funny how people moaned and groaned over Will Muscamp leaving and after is first year at Florida, now he has gone from genius to dummy in one season. Probably was not in the top 25 UT list.
Also, the number of schools that have replaced a winning coach who retired or got old or did not win enough Championships, with a better coach is awfully small. See Tenneesse/Fulmer, OU/Switzer, A&M/Solcum, USC/Carroll, to name a few that the successor was not quite so hot.
Again only the results of next season will reveal whether this is a winner or and also-ran.
carpenter is offline   Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 02:49 PM   #19
sixxbach
Lifetime Premium Access

Encounters: 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpenter View Post
Strong might do well at UT but we will have to wait and see. David Ash is no Terry B., and college football is becoming a QB driven game. It would seem that Strong was 4th pick. Not counting Saban. Fisher, Briles, Mora seemed to be the top three. Funny how people moaned and groaned over Will Muscamp leaving and after is first year at Florida, now he has gone from genius to dummy in one season. Probably was not in the top 25 UT list.
Also, the number of schools that have replaced a winning coach who retired or got old or did not win enough Championships, with a better coach is awfully small. See Tenneesse/Fulmer, OU/Switzer, A&M/Solcum, USC/Carroll, to name a few that the successor was not quite so hot.
Again only the results of next season will reveal whether this is a winner or and also-ran.

Ash is not the answer at QB. Hopefully, Strong will start that true freshman coming in or Swoopes.

sixx
sixxbach is offline   Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 03:23 PM   #20
Skip_8
Valued Poster

Encounters: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappideaux View Post
I think Mack Brown was a very good coach who unfortunately could not consistently prepare his later teams. Even though those later teams were still stockpiled with future NFL caliber talent. His later teams also lacked any kind of identity. There identity seemed to be- "well whatever works this week".

However I tie the failures of the last few seasons to Texas' "Win Now" mentality that cropped up after the National Championship game and their later successes with Colt McCoy"

Texas fans seem to forget that the patient cultivation of Vince Young took a season and a half to complete. Colt McCoy was a close enough approximation of Vince Young so 'horns could retain much of their basic offense.

After Colt left Mack no longer had the patience to bring a young QB along. And the local press certainly didn't help.

I don't know why, but Texas was unable to get a good QB going after Colt McCoy left. Texas had a lot of QB talent.

The blame falls squarely on the coaches.

Case in Point: Garrett Gilbert transferred and had 3,528 yards and 21 touchdowns in 2013 at SMU

I knew when he went in for Colt McCoy at the Championship game that he was a good QB but just did not have the reps and was held back during that game by just handing off most of the game.
Skip_8 is offline   Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 03:31 PM   #21
sixxbach
Lifetime Premium Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip_8 View Post
I don't know why, but Texas was unable to get a good QB going after Colt McCoy left. Texas had a lot of QB talent.

Case in Point: Garrett Gilbert transferred and had 3,528 yards and 21 touchdowns in 2013 at SMU

I knew when he went in for Colt McCoy at the Championship game that he was a good QB but just did not have the reps and was held back during that game by just handing off most of the game.
Gilbert didn't do well in his stay. I don't think we can compare the competition that SMU faces vs. what Texas or most other BIg 12 schools face.

sixx
Old 01-05-2014, 03:57 PM   #22
Guest021414
Account Disabled

User ID: 209475
Default I love football!! And UT

Strong's salary at Louisville is about $4 million per year. Brown was paid more than $5 million per season.

It appears to be a nice hefty contract for Strong
Per USA Today salaries database, the coach only made $2.3 million in 2012.

Texas is looking to gravy train on the back of any program’s coach, at any level, that’s had any success in recent memory.
ANY coach in America that could even remotely be associated with the Texas position needs to have their agent leak that info yesterday.

Texas has caused and will continue to cause many coaches to continue getting large salary increases.

Saban already.

Jumbo Fisher already.

Louisville will give Strong a bump and fight to keep him.

Time to get on the gravy train.
Guest021414 is offline   Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 04:38 PM   #23
pappideaux
Valued Poster

Encounters: 1

Quote:

Gilbert was possibly the best QB since McCoy left. But he lacked the mobility of McCoy and certainly Young. Still the way he was summarily dismissed hurt both his career and Texas' future.
pappideaux is offline   Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 05:06 PM   #24
fun2come
You'll Love My Nuts!

Encounters: 118

Quote:

What does that say about Major Applewhite and what is his future at UT?
Opinions? Predictions?
fun2come is offline   Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 06:00 PM   #25
bambino
Valued Poster

Encounters: 29

I guess you can call them the Stronghorns going forward.
bambino is offline   Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 06:15 PM   #26
fun2come
You'll Love My Nuts!

Encounters: 118

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambino View Post
I guess you can call them the Stronghorns going forward.
Man I am glad his name is not Short ...
fun2come is offline   Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 06:43 PM   #27
sixxbach
Lifetime Premium Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2come View Post
What does that say about Major Applewhite and what is his future at UT?
Opinions? Predictions?

They all need to go. Applewhite is already gone and I would imagine Robinson is already packing. I say get rid of even the strength coach. Time to start a new.

I just hope the fans, admins, have patience and Strong isn't treated like Ty Willingham when he was at Notre Dame.

sixx
Old 01-05-2014, 06:54 PM   #28
derek303
Valued Poster

Encounters: 57

Gilbert was the biggest disappointment EVER! We passed up countless great QB's and took him. Hell, I would of as well. He broke every QB record in Texas which is really saying something. I believe he was a 4 year starter at Lake Travis and never lost. But he was horrible at Texas and so-so at SMU. Ash isn't any answer either. The book on Strong is he is a great recruiter and a average game day coach. We need to start getting millage out of our 4 and 5 star recruits. Brown was a class act and ran a clean program but it was over time for him to leave. Half the coaches in the league would of been better while he was the top paid in the country. We need a coach not a CEO.
derek303 is offline   Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:24 PM   #29
carpenter
Lifetime Premium Access

Encounters: 4

QB will be the key, Ash is a known, albeit maybe not the answer, and Swoopes in is limited action looked lost. Old coaching adage: " For every game a frosh QB starts is a game lost." Of course these days the high school programs are very good. But a unknown freshman QB probably is not the salvation of the QB situation. After Young and Colt it would seem that the Phil Sims hex has been in full force.
But again all this talk will not change the facts. And we will not learn those until the start of next season.
carpenter is offline   Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 01:53 PM   #30
nuglet
Valued Poster

Encounters: 22

Remember when school was for "learning"? I'm so tired of all football. I'm not sure I see any purpose to it at all.. I know the teams rake in $$$$$$$, but to what point? As for UT, the money paid to those coaches could be well used for academia.. and should be. Let the bashing/argueing begin.. LOL
nuglet is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women