Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > Diamonds and Tuxedos
Diamonds and Tuxedos Glamour, elegance, and sophistication. That's what it's all about here in ECCIE's newest forum which caters to those with expensive tastes, lavish lifestyles, and an appetite for upscale entertainment.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 373
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 264
sharkman29 251
George Spelvin 248
Top Posters
DallasRain70423
biomed160635
Yssup Rider59971
gman4452938
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47581
pyramider46370
bambino40333
CryptKicker37085
Mokoa36487
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35405
Mojojo33117

Old 01-31-2011, 08:15 AM   #16
WTF
Lifetime Premium Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bebe Le Strange View Post
There are in fact law firms within the US who will hire only christian lawyers.
Come on now you know that there are no Christian Lawyers
WTF is offline   Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:24 AM   #17
Bebe Le Strange
Account Disabled

User ID: 66305

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTF View Post
Lawls, now that is funny! Yea, I forgot lawyers are equated with Devils!!! Hahahaha....
Bebe Le Strange is offline   Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:28 AM   #18
Iaintliein
Valued Poster

Encounters: 2

It's their business, if they loose customers over it, so be it. The whole gay marriage issue is, in my opinion, a really stupid diversion from more important (real) issues. I only have two gay friends that I know of, and the last thing they would want to do is get married.

In my opinion, the social con/religious right gives the rest of conservatives a bad rep.
Iaintliein is offline   Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:44 AM   #19
Rudyard K
Lifetime Premium Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazomaniac View Post
(Just so we're all clear on it, all Covenant trucks have the slogan "It's not a choice, it's a child." painted on them.)

The problem I have with this argument is that it skirts the law. Under the Civil Rights Act you can't discriminate against employees based on religion. Covenant argues that the message is political and not religious so they get away with it.

But let's be serious here. The company calls itself a "faith-based" enterprise. It was founded by an evangelical preacher. It holds prayer meetings and bible studies for its employees on company grounds. You have to drive around with a pro-life message painted on the truck.

While all this doesn't expressly say "we only hire conservative Christians", it clearly send a message about what kind of people should be applying for a job. If that's not discrimination on the basis of religion then I don't know how much closer you can get.

Corporations - especially public ones like Covenant - enjoy the legal protections and tax advantages that society grants then. In exchange they have to live inside the rules society sets for them. That's all I ask of a company regardless of who owns it or what it does. Covenant, in my book, steps outside the lines and then lies through its teeth about the pro-life message not being religious orientated.

By forcing their employees to display this message and be associated with it - along with the company's other messages and practices - they are practicing de facto religious discrimination. That's where I have the problem. It's a legal issue for me, not a religious one.

Chick-fil-A does some of the same stuff but they make it absolutely clear that employees of all faiths are welcome and they've backed that up with their actions. They've apologized to and compensated people who experienced discrimination and fired the managers who were responsible for it. CFA may have it's viewpoint, but they exercise it with appropriate discretion and always stay inside the law. For that I give them total respect. Covenant, on the other hand, doesn't get anything from me. They're just blatantly avoiding their legal responsibilities AFAIC.

Cheers,
Mazo.
You are trying to legislate the source of a belief...not the belief itself. the real question should be whether such a message is violative of some law or not. If the message was sourced based some nutcase, who wears foil on his head, where he says alien beings gave him such knowledge...then you would be saying nothing about it.

But because the foundation of their belief is from Christinity, it somehow becomes sinister. All beliefs about social issues, whether based on Christianity, Buddism, Islam, or even agnositic, or atheism, are effectively religous issues. The left has tried to call sinsiter, those issues they oppose that are based on religion. But the opposing side of the same issue, not based on religious beliefs, is somehow not a reigion issue. Its a cute trick but starting to fall on deaf ears.
Rudyard K is offline   Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:47 AM   #20
Sa_artman
Valued Poster

Encounters: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTF View Post
You insinuating that TTH is not a church going member of society? All l Lawyers at some point have to lay their hand upon a Bible...now which one...hmmm..
Sa_artman is offline   Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:59 AM   #21
Bebe Le Strange
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sa_artman View Post
You insinuating that TTH is not a church going member of society? All l Lawyers at some point have to lay their hand upon a Bible...now which one...hmmm..
Actually you are wrong. They changed that a while back. You do not have to put your hand on a bible if you are not of christian faith, nor religious and ascribe to atheism. All that is required is to raise your right hand when taking an oath.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:06 AM   #22
goodtiminme
Gaining Momentum

Encounters: 18

Back to the chick-fill-a bit real quick: personal i suport gay rights, but I think the pro-gay rights groups should have held a similar meeting to the pro-hetero-marriage group and asked to get the same deal on catering. If CFA had provided free food like they did for the Christian group then kudos to them, if not then itd give people a reason to make a fuss about it. Also I think it should have been mentioned wether or not the manager of that particular cfa knew the people organizing the meeting. I work in a restaraunt and my boss will occasional do free catering at his kids school, something like that's just doin a favor for someone you know on your dime.
goodtiminme is offline   Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:08 AM   #23
Bebe Le Strange
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtiminme View Post
Back to the chick-fill-a bit real quick: personal i suport gay rights, but I think the pro-gay rights groups should have held a similar meeting to the pro-hetero-marriage group and asked to get the same deal on catering. If CFA had provided free food like they did for the Christian group then kudos to them, if not then itd give people a reason to make a fuss about it. Also I think it should have been mentioned wether or not the manager of that particular cfa knew the people organizing the meeting. I work in a restaraunt and my boss will occasional do free catering at his kids school, something like that's just doin a favor for someone you know on your dime.
Agreed.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:20 AM   #24
Sa_artman
Valued Poster

Encounters: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bebe Le Strange View Post
Actually you are wrong. They changed that a while back. You do not have to put your hand on a bible if you are not of christian faith, nor religious and ascribe to atheism. All that is required is to raise your right hand when taking an oath.
True, but then the joke wouldn't have been funny. Have fun much? I get the feeling not.
Sa_artman is offline   Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:00 AM   #25
Iaintliein
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sa_artman View Post
True, but then the joke wouldn't have been funny. Have fun much? I get the feeling not.
It would be fun to rig the bible to shock the guy putting his hand on it.
Iaintliein is offline   Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:42 AM   #26
Bebe Le Strange
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaintliein View Post
It would be fun to rig the bible to shock the guy putting his hand on it.
LMAO..

Now that was funny.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:02 PM   #27
John Bull
Valued Poster

CFa - Their business, their food! They can give it away to anyone they wish - or not!

They have quite a presence in Ohio as well as the southern States. And they have the same consistent policies.
John Bull is offline   Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 02:09 PM   #28
pjorourke
Valued Poster

Encounters: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by discreetgent View Post
Umm, no. A business cannot have a policy in which they hire only Christians or Muslims or Jews or Buddhists, etc. (Lets leave aside non-profit religious organizations for the moment). However, if I do take a job with Covenant then I better be ready to drive a truck with their signage on it.
Word!!
pjorourke is offline   Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 04:28 PM   #29
Mazomaniac
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudyard K View Post
You are trying to legislate the source of a belief...not the belief itself.
Oh stop twisting it Rud. I'm doing nothing of the sort. How can I possibly hold the beliefs you ascribe to me when I'm supporting the Chick-fil-A stance? You're just trying to spin it.

The point is that there's a law out there and that law needs to be followed. It don't matter if you agree with the law. That's an issue to take up with your congressman. What matters is that if break the law you should expect to suffer for it. It's nothing different than the position all of us here on the board are in vis-a-vis LE and the hobby.

The simple argument I make is that the law says you can't discriminate in employment based on religion. CFA respects that and does it right. IMHO Covenant doesn't respect it flaunts it. That's all there is to it. There's no challenge to anybody's religion. There's no saying one belief is better than another. My position has nothing to do with anything you posted.

I just happen to believe, as many others do, that Covenant is breaking both the letter and the spirit of the Civil Rights Act with their practices. The only reason they haven't gotten the smack down is that they base their depots in the deep south where there's no political will to go after them for it in a systematic way. They thwart personal discrimination lawsuits by their employees by including a binding arbitration clause in their contracts that forbids class arbitration - you have to go after them one lawsuit at a time in a forum where your damages won't cover your costs. And just in case the arbitration clause doesn't hold up they have you agree to court venue in the Eastern District of Tennessee - one of the most conservative districts in the country. They know that they're living on the edge of the law and do everything they can to hide from it.

Like I said, this is a legal thing for me not a religious one. I'd be just as pissed if it were a Jewish company or Muslim one. The law says you can't discriminate. I think Covenant does in subtle, sneeky ways. I respect CFA for taking the high road and doing it right.

Cheers,
Mazo.
Mazomaniac is offline   Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 04:38 PM   #30
Rudyard K
Lifetime Premium Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazomaniac View Post
Oh stop twisting it Rud. I'm doing nothing of the sort. How can I possibly hold the beliefs you ascribe to me when I'm supporting the Chick-fil-A stance? You're just trying to spin it.

The point is that there's a law out there and that law needs to be followed. It don't matter if you agree with the law. That's an issue to take up with your congressman. What matters is that if break the law you should expect to suffer for it. It's nothing different than the position all of us here on the board are in vis-a-vis LE and the hobby.

The simple argument I make is that the law says you can't discriminate in employment based on religion. CFA respects that and does it right. IMHO Covenant doesn't respect it flaunts it. That's all there is to it. There's no challenge to anybody's religion. There's no saying one belief is better than another. My position has nothing to do with anything you posted.

I just happen to believe, as many others do, that Covenant is breaking both the letter and the spirit of the Civil Rights Act with their practices. The only reason they haven't gotten the smack down is that they base their depots in the deep south where there's no political will to go after them for it in a systematic way. They thwart personal discrimination lawsuits by their employees by including a binding arbitration clause in their contracts that forbids class arbitration - you have to go after them one lawsuit at a time in a forum where your damages won't cover your costs. And just in case the arbitration clause doesn't hold up they have you agree to court venue in the Eastern District of Tennessee - one of the most conservative districts in the country. They know that they're living on the edge of the law and do everything they can to hide from it.

Like I said, this is a legal thing for me not a religious one. I'd be just as pissed if it were a Jewish company or Muslim one. The law says you can't discriminate. I think Covenant does in subtle, sneeky ways. I respect CFA for taking the high road and doing it right.

Cheers,
Mazo.
Talk about twisting it...Jeez. If the law isn't running the world exactly as you think it should be being run...then the obvious conclusion is that they are despots and there is a lack of will to uphold your...uh, the...law. And they sign the arbitration agreements for the sole purpose of thumbing their nose at Mazo's rule of law.

Yep, we can all see how fair minded you are.
Rudyard K is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women