Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > Diamonds and Tuxedos
Diamonds and Tuxedos Glamour, elegance, and sophistication. That's what it's all about here in ECCIE's newest forum which caters to those with expensive tastes, lavish lifestyles, and an appetite for upscale entertainment.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 399
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 373
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 268
George Spelvin 253
sharkman29 253
Top Posters
DallasRain70490
biomed161114
Yssup Rider60189
gman4453051
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47795
pyramider46370
bambino40457
CryptKicker37108
Mokoa36487
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35624
Mojojo33117

Old 07-31-2010, 10:08 PM   #31
LazurusLong
Valued Poster

Encounters: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjorourke View Post
Yeah, yeah WTF I know low income people have higher mortality. If it was three times that of high income folks (which is an absurdly high multiple) it would only change the 28 cents to 38 cents.
Speaking of which.

African American males have a very high mortality rate compared to other demographics so they rarely collect their benefits.

Some have argued in the past that AA men should be the most vocal of all who would rather have that sort of plan set up so that their heirs could actually inherit something accumulated over the working years instead of nothing.

I was in my 30's when my dad died after a very long time in the workforce, sometimes working multiple jobs when we were young to make sure we had a good roof on our heads and food on the table and clothes on our backs.

All the monies paid into FICA evaporated the moment he died.

Another complaint about this "insurance" the government set up.

Never forget that it was set up as insurance yet the "benefits" paid out are now taxed depending on total wages including your SS income. Funny how the government actually DID change the program even though someone up above claims it never has been changed.

I'm too lazy to go look up when social security benefits became subject to income taxes but I'm pretty sure it was not that long ago.
LazurusLong is offline   Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 10:36 PM   #32
pjorourke
Valued Poster

Encounters: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazurusLong View Post
I'm too lazy to go look up when social security benefits became subject to income taxes but I'm pretty sure it was not that long ago.
1983 It was recommended by the Greenspan Commission.
pjorourke is offline   Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 08:10 AM   #33
WTF
Lifetime Premium Access

Default Little Georgie Bush learnt well!

Quote:
1983 It was recommended by the Greenspan Commission.

That would be most of ya'lls hero's , old Ronnie Reagan. The orginial tax and spend conservative! Not that I blame him on that.

PJ, once again a tax is a tax. Does not matter if it comes back to you directly or indirectly. The tax for Defense , comes back to all in the form of security. Education tax comes back in the form (hopefully) a workforce that can understant this concept! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudyard K View Post
I have mixed feelings on the "letting people control their own retirment accounts". In concept, I think it is good. But I know, that the Great Society will never just "kick them to the curb" should they fail to accomplish providing for their retirement. So, in the end, there will be an outcry for public money to take care of all these people who have run out of money.

I believe in personal responsibility as my obligation. And I believe in charity as my obligation. It is when we start mixing the two...and your (the generic "your"...not you personally) idea of charity becomes my personal obligation...that we run afoul of things.

So, while it is personally distasteful to me...I think the only practicle answer is to have societal control of retirement funds, to fulfill what will most certainly be percieved a societal obligation.
Here, Here....well stated. You do have a heart!

If I didn't know any better I'd think the great Oz had just given you your wish! Now if you would tell that Scarecrow partner of yours to start putting his brain to good use and quit arguing with me on the difference/benifits of certain taxes! He is starting to sound like a politician
WTF is offline   Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 12:26 PM   #34
pjorourke
Valued Poster

WTF, I can't hear you. I have you on ignore for this subject.
Old 08-01-2010, 12:44 PM   #35
Valued Poster

Quote:
Well we ration TV's too -- to people that can pay for them. Health care is another consumer good. It has never been a right.
See here we totally disagree. IMO health care and education are fundamental rights, and the state must provide them for all citizens.

But then again I'm just eurotrash.
.. is offline   Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 01:01 PM   #36
pjorourke
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTF View Post
That would be most of ya'lls hero's , old Ronnie Reagan. The orginial tax and spend conservative! Not that I blame him on that.
It was part of the deal he had to cut with the Dems to pass his marginal tax rate cut.
Old 08-01-2010, 01:01 PM   #37
pjorourke
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by .. View Post
See here we totally disagree. IMO health care and education are fundamental rights, and the state must provide them for all citizens.

But then again I'm just eurotrash.
I agree on basic services: e.g., life saving for healthcare and primary education. But I also firmly believe that their are limits to everything and neither is an open-ended who cares what it costs all you want right. I guess we will have to agree to disagree.
Old 08-01-2010, 05:43 PM   #38
Mazomaniac
Valued Poster

Quote:
Which is not what I said at all. You don't have to be rich to get health care, you have to be responsible.
I have neither a liberal nor conservative view of this. I have a realist view of it.

The simple facts are these (using your own terms for the example):

A) Not everybody is going to be "responsible". Some are incapable because of physical or mental deficit. Some are just not willing to be responsible. This is simply a fact of life that we live with. Nothing is going to change that.

B) Those people who are going to be irresponsible are going to cost YOU money. Again, this is a simple fact. That's how it is.

C) You can either sit back and bitch about how this situation sucks for you or you can do something about it that lessens the impact it has on you.

Now tell me, which of the options in C do you think is the "responsible" thing to do. We've been living with A & B for decades. Doesn't matter why or how that situation came about. It simply is. Which of the two approaches do you think will better lead to a solution?

As I'm sure you're aware, there's also something called "social responsibility" that goes along with the "personal" equivalent. I think working to lower the cost of health care and see that everybody has access to it is pretty a responsible thing to do. I think sitting back and saying "I got mine, you get yours" is the height of irresponsible behavior. Part of reason we have government is to handle the big problems that can't be solved just by hoping that everybody is going to do the right thing.

Tell me PJ, are you in favor of or do you disapprove of mandatory auto insurance? Are you ready to rely on other drivers being "responsible" enough to fix your car if they hit you?

Quote:
Yes, we provide free food to people who are starving. That is humanitarian and there should be a humanitarian component to health care as well. But last I heard, we don't provide unlimited steak and lobster to the hungry. There are limits to anything -- and there should be limits to free health care.
Unfortunately this argument is a complete fallacy. Providing tastier food to the starving doesn't make more well fed. Providing more than basic health care to the poor does make them more healthy, more productive, and more effective in the economy.

Like everything there is a point of diminishing returns in health care and that's where rationing and other access mechanisms come in. But in the end your argument simply falls on its face. The healthier people are the more productive they are and the less it costs to give them care over the long term. If you only provide care at life-line levels you end up costing everybody more.

You're smart enough to know that there's more to it than what you're arguing. I can see that you like to bitch and stir up trouble and pretend that you're some kind of political radical and all but I fail to see how it does anybody any good. When confronted with reason you always back away from your extreme positions. Why not just admit to yourself that you're a moderate and try to make progress rather than being negative about so many things?

Quote:
But i realize the word "responsible" is a nasty word for Liberals (excuse me, you are Progressive these days.)
Case in point.

Personally, I really don't care what terms you feel like sticking on people. If your involvement in political discussions is driven by a need to see your side "win" then more power to ya. I'm more concerned with discussing solutions to the problems we have regardless of which "side" they may come from. You can put any label on me you want. My ego isn't so inflated that it's going to worry me.

Cheers!
Mazo.
Mazomaniac is offline   Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 06:31 PM   #39
Mazomaniac
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazurusLong View Post
Never forget that it was set up as insurance yet the "benefits" paid out are now taxed depending on total wages including your SS income. Funny how the government actually DID change the program even though someone up above claims it never has been changed.
Excuse me chief, but you're WRONG again.

The original Social Security laws DID NOT specify that benefits were tax free. That exemption was created by an administrative ruling made by the IRS in 1941 by - *gasp* - a democratic administration. This represented a tax policy, not tax law. The original Social Security act contained no tax exemption for benefits of any kind. The Roosevelt administration gave that to people through an IRS ruling. There has NEVER been any change to the law.

You are also, like many people, confused about the "tax" on benefits itself. This was, in fact, not a "tax" in the sense of a revenue raiser for the federal budget, but rather a mechanism for reducing the benefit available to people with substantial income above the SS benefits they are receiving.

If you receive SS benefits and your total income is above a certain threshold then you pay "taxes" on up to 85% of the benefit at whatever your federal tax rate is. HOWEVER, the money collected under that program IS NOT PUT INTO THE GENERAL FUND. Under 42 U.S.C. 401 the money collected by that "tax" is transferred back into the Social Security or Medicare trust funds every calendar quarter. It's treated by the Treasury just like the FICA/Medicare tax collected from your paycheck. It goes back into the trust funds, NOT into the general budget.

The net effect is that the "tax" you complain about is not a tax at all. It's just an easy way to reduce the benefit for people who continue to work or otherwise make decent change after the start collecting benefits. About 18% of all SS beneficiaries have their benefit level reduced by an average of 25% through this mechanism.

No Social Security funds go into the general budget AT ALL. But why take my word for it? Just go to the SSA website where you can learn all about it. I would suggest starting with this: http://www.ssa.gov/history/taxationofbenefits.html

Stop drinking the tea and go out and learn about it for yourself.

Mazo.
Old 08-01-2010, 06:45 PM   #40
pjorourke
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazomaniac View Post
A) Not everybody is going to be "responsible". Some are incapable because of physical or mental deficit. Some are just not willing to be responsible. This is simply a fact of life that we live with. Nothing is going to change that.

B) Those people who are going to be irresponsible are going to cost YOU money. Again, this is a simple fact. That's how it is.

C) You can either sit back and bitch about how this situation sucks for you or you can do something about it that lessens the impact it has on you.

D) Tell me PJ, are you in favor of or do you disapprove of mandatory auto insurance? Are you ready to rely on other drivers being "responsible" enough to fix your car if they hit you?
A) Obviously we need a safety net for the mentally incompetent. But it is also absurd for a society to spend millions preserving their life with heroic medicine.

B) I'm old enough to know that I'm going to get fucked coming or going. I seriously doubt we will save enough through preventive care not produce enough extra to pay for the cost of unlimited all you want health care.

C) Bitching is all I have left. We are heading down the road towards a state run system that will be as screwed up as the post office -- but just cost a hell of a lot more.

D) I live in a no-fault state. My coverage pays for my car and the insurance company sues the other carrier. My bigger concern is uninsured motorist and carry substantial such coverage. I.e., have little faith in the responsibility of my fellow man. Again that realism thing.
Old 08-01-2010, 06:53 PM   #41
Mazomaniac
Valued Poster

Quote:
Bitching is all I have left.
Well at least you bitch intelligently. I'll give you that and respect it.

Too many people just bitch dumb.

Cheers!
Mazo.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:17 PM   #42
WTF
Lifetime Premium Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazomaniac View Post
Well at least you bitch intelligently. I'll give you that and respect it.

Too many people just bitch dumb.

Cheers!
Mazo.

Good God Mazo, if all you're going do is come in here and give PJ a bigger head at least pm the rest of us hard dicks some utr hottie in our respective cities to make up for that!

WTF is offline   Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 01:44 AM   #43
TexTushHog
Professional Tush Hog.

Encounters: 7

Quote:
Well we ration TV's too -- to people that can pay for them. Health care is another consumer good. It has never been a right.
But a certain basic level of health care should be a right. There are no rights until society decides that something is important enough that the government will provide it to or protect it for everyone.
TexTushHog is offline   Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 03:26 AM   #44
Valued Poster

Quote:
C) Bitching is all I have left. We are heading down the road towards a state run system that will be as screwed up as the post office -- but just cost a hell of a lot more.
Somehow you don't like state run health-care, but state-run can be very efficient if you take Finland for example.
.. is offline   Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 03:29 AM   #45
gnadfly
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexTushHog View Post
Then why does the current SS Trust Fund have a $2 trillion surplus?

http://www.tcf.org/Publications/Reti...s6-25-2008.pdf
So, according to this article, the Federal government 'buys' the surplus funds and puts a Treasury security in its place. What do the Feds do with the surplus funds that is 'bought' with the security? Put it in the general fund?

The 2 trillion dollar surplus is just more debt. I believe a quarter or two ago the SS outlays were exceeding SS income, which wasn't supposed to happen until 2025.

Its about to snowball.
gnadfly is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women