Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > Texas > Houston > The Sandbox - Houston
The Sandbox - Houston The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here. If it's NOT an adult-themed topic, then it belongs here

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 373
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 266
sharkman29 253
George Spelvin 250
Top Posters
DallasRain70466
biomed160932
Yssup Rider60189
gman4453021
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47730
pyramider46370
bambino40437
CryptKicker37105
Mokoa36487
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35624
Mojojo33117

Old 09-21-2010, 07:04 PM   #31
Dad
Valued Poster

Encounters: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNavyInHouston View Post
Winery: Pedroncelli
Dry Creek Valley Zinfandel - Mother Clone 2008
Spec's Price: $10.34

If you're a True Blood fan then you will get the reference- this the real deal.

I don't think anyone would be offended by this wine. Very nice!

I promise I'm writing this on the first glass
Zinfandel?

I don't think Silver Oak, Opus One, etc., is for you!

I can suggest some good champagnes!
Dad is offline   Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:06 PM   #32
ExNavyInHouston
Gaining Momentum

Come on Dad, at least it wasn't a White Zinfandel.
ExNavyInHouston is offline   Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:08 PM   #33
Jusanotherdude
Ambassadude

Encounters: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
Zinfandel?

I don't think Silver Oak, Opus One, etc., is for you!

I can suggest some good champagnes!

Lmao!! yeah..... Opus One, Silver Oak and Caymus may be setting the bar just a bit high then, huh Dad?

JaD
Jusanotherdude is offline   Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:46 PM   #34
Mourvèdre
Registered Member

I read through this thread yesterday and realized it had been too long since I'd visited the downtown Spec's for a little fix. That has since been remedied so I'll go ahead and throw in my 2 cents here with some "recs".

I'm currently drinking a Spaniard "mutt" called Mestizaje (proprietary name) from the Mustiguillo Bodega. It's a blend of Tempranillo, Garnacha, Merlot, Syrah and Cabernet Sauvignon (hence, mutt). It was recommended by one of the floor guys I know (I know most of them) and can be found around mid section of the Spanish aisle. As one could expect from the varietals, it's a bit of a bomb in nature, but I wanted something to go with a heavy Italian Sausage sauce I'd made and it fit the bill. It's a nice combo of red and dark fruits with a hell of a finish. Elegant it ain't, but it was (and still is) a great bargain at $14.00.

A few other Spaniards + I'd recommend:

Muga Rioja 2005 - $21.00 Good example of an unfiltered Rioja; slightly blended.

Muga Blanco - $14.00

Las Rocas Garnacha Vinas Viejas 2007 - $16.00 Interesting little Garnacha for its extreme peppery notes that highlight the medium dark fruit quite nicely.

Numanthia Termes 2007 - $27.00 This Toro admittedly needs more time in the bottle to mellow, but it's a fun thing to see just how heavy a Tempranillo can get from the right region. This is pretty monstrous (though I admittedly haven't had this particular vintage yet).

Nora Albarino - $15.00

Keenan Merlot 2006 - $29.00 This is an excellent example of some Napa, Merlot magic with a splash of Cab Franc thrown in for good measure. This is truly mouthwatering fruit for a very reasonable price.

A couple of "off the beaten path" dessert wines, both at the end of the dessert aisle towards the front of the store:

Chambers Muscadelle (Australia) - $15.00 Delicious toffee/almond notes in this one. If you ever get real adventurous, try the Chambers Rare Muscadelle. It's just a bit more expensive at around $280.00 or so (and I'm not sure if Spec's even carries that one).

Chamarre 2003 Juracon (France) - $11.00 Wonderful tropical notes in this inexpensive, yet somewhat exotic "Frenchie". I tried it at an industry tasting a few years ago and got hooked.

Also, I'll go ahead and second the Blue Rock Cab recommendation. I might have had more of the 2005 Cab than anyone in Houston (and I'm not exaggerating). I only have 3 bottles of it left in my personal stash, but I know where you can still get the Baby Blue Cab 2006 for $25.00 a btl. I went there today after my Spec's jaunt and sure enough, it's still there. They have about 9 btls left, along with 3 btls of the 2005 Syrah for $19.00 (which I also recommend). PM me for the info on that store since they might get cleaned out as soon as this gets read (and you can PM me as well, Dad, if you'd like that locale also). It's only a 10 minute drive from Spec's downtown, so no boondocks are involved.

Anyway, good thread. I'll add more another time soon with the next Spec's visit.
Mourvèdre is offline   Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:05 PM   #35
bbkid
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOULMANIKE View Post
Chateau Ste. Michelle - Riesling
Hate that I am so late in posting on this thread, but Ike, I agree 100%.
bbkid is offline   Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 09:30 PM   #36
rwksl
Valued Poster

Encounters: 27

Quote:
Come on Dad, at least it wasn't a White Zinfandel.
Agreed. Zinfandel is one of the most misunderstood wines out there. Red Zinfandel can be richer and more robust than many Cabs. Here's two of my favorite affordable Zinfandels. The names should be easy for any hobbyist to remember.

rwksl is offline   Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 09:41 PM   #37
Flying V
Valued Poster

Encounters: 44

2005 Inwood Estates Tempernillo or the 2007 but let this one breathe for a bit.
Flying V is offline   Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 09:56 PM   #38
Dad
Valued Poster

For Chateau, try Chateau Montelena.

Regarding Spec’s, here are my tips:
  • Don't trust every wine boy at Spec's. More often than not the wine boy will try to steer you toward the WD bottle. Look at the label; you will see WD on it.
  • Spec’s Smith Street usually has better prices than your local Spec’s. The main downtown location even beats the outlet center stores.
  • If your neighborhood has 2 Spec’s stores, ask the wine boy to check the prices at the other store. For bottles over $100, I have found substantial price differences between locations.
  • For very pricey bottles, ask the wine boy to pull up the computer and tell you which stores have the best price and only couple bottles left. Go there and get those last bottles for case price discount. In some cases, you will save 20%.
  • Get to know the manager. He can give you case discount on his new WD suggestions.
Dad is offline   Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:14 AM   #39
ExNavyInHouston
Gaining Momentum

Thanks to you guys I made another Spec's run. Here's the list in dollar order.

----------------------------------------------------

Winery: Chamarre
Shiraz/Merlot - Selection
Spec's Price: $7.25

The Hype: Red berry spices with hints of pepper and spices. 55% Shiraz / 45% Merlot. Oak aging in small vats.

Winery: Chamarre
Cabernet Sauvignon 2005 - Grand Reserve
Spec's Price: $8.78

The Hype: A marriage of Cabernet grapes from the most celebrated regions of France. Deep and Velvety, with hints of grilled oak, toffee, red berries and mint. Finish is slightly toasted.

Winery: Clos Du Bois
Cabernet Sauvignon 2006 - North Coast
Spec's Price: $11.34

The Hype: Bottled July 2008; Winemaker Erik Olsen; Varietal Composition: 80% Cabernet Sauvignon; 10% Cabernet Franc, 10% other Bordeaux varietals; Alcohol: 13.5%; Varietal Type: Cabernet Sauvignon; Released: June 2009

The wine's deep ruby red hue hints at an inky black - the first clue to its blockbuster intensity and exceptional Cabernet Sauvignon character. Vibrant aromas of ripe blackberry and vanilla mingle with notes of roasted coffee and toast on the nose. Full-bodied and velvety on the palate, the flavors are bright and juicy, with well-integrated layers of blackberry, plum, mocha and clove spice. The wine's luscious mouthfeel and persistent finish marries fruit, oak and supple tannins in perfect balance.

Winery: Francis Ford Coppola
Cabernet Sauvignon 2007 - Diamond Collection - Ivory Label
Spec's Price: $12.69

The Hype: Winemaker is Corey Beck, 100% Cabernet Sauvignon, 13.5%, 16 months French and American oak.

Winery: Francis Ford Coppola
Syrah/Shiraz - Diamond Collection - Green Label
Spec's Price: $13.29

The Hype: Winemaker is Corey Beck, 93% Syrah, 7% Petite Sirah, 13.5%, 14 months French oak. Made from grapes grown in Paso Robles and Monterey, this concentrated and complex wine has soft tannins, along with blackberry and boysenberry flavors layered with notes of smoky bacon, sweet vanilla and bittersweet chocolate.

Winery: Marques de Caceres (Bodega)
Rioja - Gran Reserva 2001
Spec's Price: $29.65

The Hype: Intense cherry red color, hints of mature fruit and a touch of spics (vanilla, refined leather) from the French oak, powerful in the mouth and sensations of fleshy, crystallized fruit. 85% Tempranillo / 15% Graciano & Garnacha Tinta.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg WineChoice.jpg (129.8 KB, 106 views)
Old 09-23-2010, 09:28 AM   #40
ExNavyInHouston
Gaining Momentum

Quote:
Winery: Marques de Caceres (Bodega)
Rioja - Gran Reserva 2001
Spec's Price: $29.65
Thanks for this suggestion. I had this bottle last night. Very nice! There were two bottles on the shelf at Spec's. I just bought the one.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:03 AM   #41
Dad
Valued Poster

ENIH,

Nice commercial grade dishwashing faucet you have!

Regarding Coppola, years ago when Coppola mass producing his wine, his Claret received many outstanding reviews. After he sold substantially all his interests, I found many misses than hits on pure cab offerings. Fortunately, the Claret formula has not changed.

Today, if I am looking for a relatively inexpensive cab based table wine, Coppola's Claret is a safe bet.
Dad is offline   Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 10:11 AM   #42
ExNavyInHouston
Gaining Momentum

Dad ... I love my faucet. When I was redoing the place it was the one thing I knew I wanted to stand out in the kitchen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg faucet.jpg (59.5 KB, 101 views)
Old 09-23-2010, 12:16 PM   #43
Jusanotherdude
Ambassadude

Encounters: 24

Quote:
Dad ... I love my faucet. When I was redoing the place it was the one thing I knew I wanted to stand out in the kitchen.

Wow!

Very nice indeed!! Color me jealous!

A nice lineup of reds you got there too.... sounds like all you need now is a nice lady friend to help you drink all that!

JaD
Jusanotherdude is offline   Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 01:22 PM   #44
anova444
Account Disabled

User ID: 24793
My ECCIE Reviews

Try some texas wines! Two of my favorites are McPherson and Times Ten.

http://www.timestencellars.com/wines_dallas.html
anova444 is offline   Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 04:07 PM   #45
angelinadream
Account Disabled

User ID: 42776
My ECCIE Reviews

Does anyone like South African wines?
angelinadream is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women