Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh > The Sandbox - Pittsburgh
The Sandbox - Pittsburgh The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here. If it's NOT an adult-themed topic, then it belongs here

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 373
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 265
sharkman29 254
George Spelvin 248
Top Posters
DallasRain70437
biomed160705
Yssup Rider60032
gman4452944
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47616
pyramider46370
bambino40340
CryptKicker37092
Mokoa36487
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35446
Mojojo33117

Old 04-14-2023, 09:36 AM   #46
Smarty1
Premium Access

Encounters: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy156 View Post
I agree that threats of violence have no place in political dialog. Everyone on either side should agree with this, but sadly, even some political leaders on a certain side we could mention don't agree with this.
Can you provide specific examples of Republican leaders actually threatening violence? I don’t claim to follow every statement made by them, so I might have missed something. If you are referring to Trump’s supposed incitement to violence on J6, what he actually said was “Go to the Capitol and peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard.” One can question the wisdom of insisting without evidence that an election was fraudulent, but that statement is not really a threat of violence nor an incitement to violence. It was a n invitation to protest the certification of election results. Surely people have the right to do so, even if there is no reason to believe the election was fraudulent.

Now by contrast, a statement such as “Gorsuch and Kavenaugh will reap the whirlwind” in reference to the Dobbs decision is at least as much a veiled threat as what Trump said on J6. At least the individual who attempted to assassinate Kavenaugh seemed to think so. I do not favor holding politicians responsible for the actions of crazy followers, but if you are going to blame Trump for incitement of the January 6 riot, to be fair and intellectually honest, you should also place blame on Senator Schumer for the assassination attempt on a Supreme Court justice.
Smarty1 is offline   Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 10:08 AM   #47
tommy156
BANNED

Encounters: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty1 View Post
Can you provide specific examples of Republican leaders actually threatening violence? I don’t claim to follow every statement made by them, so I might have missed something. If you are referring to Trump’s supposed incitement to violence on J6, what he actually said was “Go to the Capitol and peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard.” One can question the wisdom of insisting without evidence that an election was fraudulent, but that statement is not really a threat of violence nor an incitement to violence. It was a n invitation to protest the certification of election results. Surely people have the right to do so, even if there is no reason to believe the election was fraudulent.

Now by contrast, a statement such as “Gorsuch and Kavenaugh will reap the whirlwind” in reference to the Dobbs decision is at least as much a veiled threat as what Trump said on J6. At least the individual who attempted to assassinate Kavenaugh seemed to think so. I do not favor holding politicians responsible for the actions of crazy followers, but if you are going to blame Trump for incitement of the January 6 riot, to be fair and intellectually honest, you should also place blame on Senator Schumer for the assassination attempt on a Supreme Court justice.
Two very obvious ones are, 1) on January 6, when Guiliani called for "trial by combat". There's no other way to interpret those words. It was an incitement to violence.

And 2) early on in trump's 2016 campaign, he called for a protester to be roughed up at one of his rallies, and that trump himself would "cover your legal fees". Again, no other way to interpret that request. Rough him up and I'll pay your legal fees. Pretty straightforward call to violence.

I'm sure there are others, but those two are iron-clad, indefensible calls for political violence.
tommy156 is offline   Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 02:18 PM   #48
Dr-epg

Encounters: 45

Gentlemen we are getting off topic. Let’s stick to the subject

“ Trans Activist Violently Assaults Riley Gaines at SFSU Speech”
Dr-epg is offline   Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 04:05 PM   #49
HDGristle
The Man (He/Him/His)

Encounters: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty1 View Post
HDGristle,

I wasn’t there; you weren’t there. So I agree; we don’t know for sure if there were any punches actually thrown. But can we agree that there were threats of violence, even if there was no actual violence? After all, police ushered Ms Gaines into a room where they secured her from the protestors. Surely they did not do so because the protesters wanted to have a debate and sing Kumbaya with her.

Now, legally, there are two separate crimes, and people often confuse and conflate them. Assault and battery are not the same thing. If a protester actually punches Gaines, then that protestor is guilty of battery. If a protestor threatened to punch her, then that protestor is guilty of assault, and this is the case regardless of whether or not a pinch actually was thrown. So can we not condemn these protestors even if there were no actual punches thrown? There was obviously the threat of violence, even if there was no actual violence. Can we not agree that threats of violence should be off limits in political debate?
Sure we can. Wanted to see who bit on my "harsh words" line. Threats of violence to intimidate, bully or coerce aren't appropriate. If she wants to pursue charges she should do so.

I wouldn't recommend having the assault and battery discussion without looking at the state regs though. Those aren't universally codified in all jurisdictions so the Devil's in the details.

And, let's also step back for a moment and recognize that there were some very fine people in that crowd that behaved appropriately rather than label the whole crowd. Focus on those who engaged in illegal behavior without pretending they were all at fault or have the the same level of potential culpability. The bad apples, instigators, agitators and thugs.

If there's a case to make and they can be proven of committing a crime they should do the time.
HDGristle is offline   Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 03:03 PM   #50
HDGristle
The Man (He/Him/His)

This is for Salty, since he was disappointed to see a contrast elsewhere vs what he saw in this convo.

Quote:
As for Riley Gaines, let's have that convo in that thread. Same things I said about Dylan apply to her for standing up. David Hogg, too. Any number of people who take constant online abuse. But no one decided to make that point and we're 10 pages deep here before it was made. Skepticism over specific allegations can exist concurrently with being impressed by someone's temerity. As well as disgust with their deeds and words. Or putting them on a pedestal as a paragon of your belief system. Respecting their humanity. Being concerned for their safety. Doesn't all get discussed.
In reference to this

Quote:
I don't know, like or follow Dylan Mulvaney. I do know that it takes guts to be out in the public eye this way. Because the same bullshit, intolerance, nastiness and dehumanization we see in this thread is flying in her direction a million-fold. And I hope she's handling it well.

Replace Dylan Mulvaney with Riley Gains and it still holds true for me. Happy to discuss further with Salty or anyone else.
Old 05-15-2023, 01:17 PM   #51
berryberry
Valued Poster

Encounters: 98

“That is wrong”: DeSantis says the students at San Francisco State University who harassed and assaulted Riley Gaines should be expelled.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1658129168993865732
berryberry is offline   Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 07:29 AM   #52
HDGristle
The Man (He/Him/His)

Anyone charged yet? Lawsuit filed?

Just checking.
Old 06-02-2023, 02:28 PM   #53
HDGristle
The Man (He/Him/His)