Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > Diamonds and Tuxedos
Diamonds and Tuxedos Glamour, elegance, and sophistication. That's what it's all about here in ECCIE's newest forum which caters to those with expensive tastes, lavish lifestyles, and an appetite for upscale entertainment.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 373
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 264
sharkman29 251
George Spelvin 248
Top Posters
DallasRain70423
biomed160635
Yssup Rider59956
gman4452938
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47573
pyramider46370
bambino40333
CryptKicker37085
Mokoa36487
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35405
Mojojo33117

Old 02-24-2011, 07:27 AM   #121
Mazomaniac
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexTushHog View Post
My juries will give my injured clients their fees. You make the argument that they're not fully compensated unless the Defendant also pays for the attorney's fees.
Like I said, I knew what Tush would say about it. Every lawyer in this country knows that a jury would give costs and lawyers fees in cases that warranted it.

Isn't it funny that there's no good argument on the other side?

Cheers,
Mazo.
Mazomaniac is offline   Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:28 AM   #122
charlestudor2005
Valued Poster

Encounters: 8

Quote:
I'll take that bet. My juries will give my injured clients their fees. You make the argument that they're not fully compensated unless the Defendant also pays for the attorney's fees.

They might not do it in small fender bender cases, but in a major case -- pipe line explosion with gross negligence, father burned to the point he lost a limb, etc.; truck wreck that broke someone's neck and caused them brain damage because truck driver was speeding (just to mention two cases in my office right now) -- I'll get them 95 out of 100 times.
You must have the oratory skills of an MLK Jr. or Ronald Reagan (to pick a couple of equally despised leaders depending on your political orientation).

I don't have that kind of faith in the jury system, or that you can find 12 people willing to give attorneys money.
charlestudor2005 is offline   Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:28 AM   #123
Texas Contrarian
Lifetime Premium Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazomaniac View Post
The first thing Walker did in office was cut taxes on businesses...
Yes, and I think that will probably be a very good thing for the competitiveness of the state, especially while Illinois seems intent on going in the opposite direction.

Some on the left seem to think taxes on business offer some sort of free lunch. They don't. Workers and consumers end up paying the freight. Attempts to maintain unsustainable fiscal policies and uncompetitive tax regimes are killing a number of states. The starkest example may be California, but there are many others. Just look at New Jersey. Governor Christie is trying to mitigate or even reverse the damage there, and those on the left talk about him as though he's some sort of evil demon.

But absent bold action, they'd be headed for a horrific bust. With a U.S. fiscal deficit of about 11%, there's little appetite for federal bailouts.

Entitlement metastasization is a widespread malady, existing at national, state, and local levels. How much more obvious could it be that we can't afford it any more?
Texas Contrarian is offline   Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 04:29 PM   #124
TexTushHog
Professional Tush Hog.

Encounters: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlestudor2005 View Post
You must have the oratory skills of an MLK Jr. or Ronald Reagan (to pick a couple of equally despised leaders depending on your political orientation).

I don't have that kind of faith in the jury system, or that you can find 12 people willing to give attorneys money.
If they didn't like your case, they wouldn't give you any money to start with. And it's not like the choice is to stiff the lawyer. The choice is the poor guy whose burned half to death and left with one arm pays his own lawyer, or the company who didn't maintain their pipeline and burned his arm off pays. I think that even the most heartless jury who saw fit to render a verdict for a Plaintiff would say that the negligent party should pay the lawyer, not the poor burned guy.

Let me ask you -- if you had found that the Defendant's failure to have an anti-corrosion program cause the pipeline to rupture and burned the guy -- why would you want him to cough up 40% rather than the fuckers who cause the entire problem? I'd really like to hear an answer to that question.
TexTushHog is offline   Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 05:56 PM   #125
charlestudor2005
Valued Poster

Quote:
If they didn't like your case, they wouldn't give you any money to start with. And it's not like the choice is to stiff the lawyer. The choice is the poor guy whose burned half to death and left with one arm pays his own lawyer, or the company who didn't maintain their pipeline and burned his arm off pays. I think that even the most heartless jury who saw fit to render a verdict for a Plaintiff would say that the negligent party should pay the lawyer, not the poor burned guy.

Let me ask you -- if you had found that the Defendant's failure to have an anti-corrosion program cause the pipeline to rupture and burned the guy -- why would you want him to cough up 40% rather than the fuckers who cause the entire problem? I'd really like to hear an answer to that question.
I don't think winning plaintiffs should have to pay their fees and costs on a contingency basis now. But that ain't the way it works. You get your guy a $1 million judgment against Evil Oil Corp, and he owes you $400,000 in fees plus whatever out of pocket expenses you had. I was just saying that if we had a system whereby the jury determined attorney fees (God forbid), I think juries would seldom award fees to hated attorneys.

Same scenario: you get your guy $1 million, and he walks away with that. Now, you plead your case for $400,000 plus expenses to a jury. And all this time, the jury is thinking, "What the hell did this atty do that's worth $400k plus expenses?" Under that set of facts, I think you might get the jury to award your expenses, maybe even all of them, plus maybe an hourly rate. But giving you an award for 40% of the judgment...I don't think so. And remember, defense firms are fairly adept at countering good arguments.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:18 PM   #126
pjorourke
Valued Poster

Encounters: 1

Tush, you are already paid your fees from the winning cases -- its the excess of contingency fees over lodestar.

Your business is really two economic issues mixed into one. You plead cases as a lawyer, and for that service, like your brethren across the bar, the appropriate fee is lodestar win or lose. But you are also in the business of financing litigation. For this, your revenue is the difference between the contingency fee and lodestar on the cases you win and -(lodestar+expenses) on the ones you lose. (When you sum the two revenues streams, it is just contingency fees - expenses on the cases you lose -- expenses for winning cases typically come out of the plaintiff's payment.)

If you are a decent attorney and are reasonably skilled at choosing cases to litigate, the revenue stream from financing lawsuits should represent a competitive risk adjusted return on investment (i.e., lodestar + expenses). There is no reason under a loser pays approach to pay you twice.
pjorourke is offline   Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 12:33 AM   #127
TexTushHog
Professional Tush Hog.

Quote:
I don't think winning plaintiffs should have to pay their fees and costs on a contingency basis now. But that ain't the way it works. You get your guy a $1 million judgment against Evil Oil Corp, and he owes you $400,000 in fees plus whatever out of pocket expenses you had. I was just saying that if we had a system whereby the jury determined attorney fees (God forbid), I think juries would seldom award fees to hated attorneys.

Same scenario: you get your guy $1 million, and he walks away with that. Now, you plead your case for $400,000 plus expenses to a jury. And all this time, the jury is thinking, "What the hell did this atty do that's worth $400k plus expenses?" Under that set of facts, I think you might get the jury to award your expenses, maybe even all of them, plus maybe an hourly rate. But giving you an award for 40% of the judgment...I don't think so. And remember, defense firms are fairly adept at countering good arguments.
I sometimes get paid an hourly rate in commercial cases. And generally, I think the jury understands that when I work for that hourly rate, I'm guaranteed to get it, not matter the outcome. They also understand that I don't advance expenses. (Say $25k for a smaller case, $75k on average, and up to $280k in one case.) I think that they understand getting paid for taking risk.

But I'm not going to work on the sort of arrangement you propose. You may get a lesser lawyer to do it, but I doubt it. Nobody is going to advance large five figure amounts without some substantial chance of getting repaid. (Which is why the contingent fee is one of the greatest tools against frivolous lawsuits ever invented.)
Old 02-25-2011, 12:36 AM   #128
TexTushHog
Professional Tush Hog.

PJ, not sure I follow you. I don't charge any interest on expenses. So I only get them back (and loose money in terms of opportunity costs). In fact, I don't know any lawyers who charge interest on expenses. And the average turn around time on a case if about two or three years, although to some degree the biggest expenses are partially back loaded.

And loadstar recoveries are typically seen only in commercial litigation. I've never seen one in a personal injury suit. Maybe in a class action context, but I think personal injury cases are notably ill suited for class treatment.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:27 AM   #129
charlestudor2005
Valued Poster

@TTH

I didn't propose any system other than the one we have now. I like it just fine since those who couldn't afford to walk through an attorney's door can now have representation in tort cases.

I was merely responding to the guy (to lazy to go back and see who) who was suggesting a "loser pays" system, or let the jury decide system.

Even in cases where fees are statutorily awarded (as I understand it) it is the Judge who determines the amount of fees based on the evidence. It is not a question of fact for the jury, but rather a question of law for the judge.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:33 AM   #130
pyramider
El Hombre de la Mancha

Encounters: 10

All of those tens of thousands law school graduates every year have to do something to justify their existence.
pyramider is offline   Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 07:51 AM   #131
charlestudor2005
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyramider View Post
All of those tens of thousands law school graduates every year have to do something to justify their existence.
The next time you need a lawyer, remember, you wrote this.

A lawyer's time and advice are his stock in trade. --Abraham Lincoln

And BTW, you should check the your figures. Yeah, maybe tens of thousands, but it's in the very low tens of thousands, especially by the time you weed out those who don't pass the bar, and those who actually get jobs.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:05 AM   #132
pjorourke
Valued Poster

Encounters: 1

Actually, there is a glut of new lawyers. This is probably where the education bubble is going to burst -- the cost of a degree now exceeds the incremental income for most.
pjorourke is offline   Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 04:37 PM   #133
I B Hankering
Valued Poster

Encounters: 9

Quote:
especially by the time you weed out those who don't pass the bar, and those who actually get jobs.
Come on down to Bourbon Street. It's Mardi Gras, where nobody passes the bar (but they do offer "go-cups").
I B Hankering is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women