Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > Diamonds and Tuxedos
Diamonds and Tuxedos Glamour, elegance, and sophistication. That's what it's all about here in ECCIE's newest forum which caters to those with expensive tastes, lavish lifestyles, and an appetite for upscale entertainment.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 370
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 262
sharkman29 250
George Spelvin 244
Top Posters
DallasRain70383
biomed160296
Yssup Rider59847
gman4452865
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47428
pyramider46370
bambino40275
CryptKicker37064
Mokoa36485
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35149
Mojojo33117

Old 04-03-2011, 08:05 AM   #31
pjorourke
Valued Poster

Encounters: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlestudor2005 View Post
I still think internet based voting would solve a multitude of problems, including the enormous cost of current elections. The feds could run their elections on their servers, states on theirs, and locals on theirs. They could even have different registration and address requirements this way.

Those w/o computers/internet could do so at the public library or other public buildings with access.

That way we could have fraud on a truly massive scale.

If you can't make the effort to get your ass to a poling place, your vote shouldn't count.
pjorourke is offline   Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 12:19 PM   #32
charlestudor2005
Valued Poster

Encounters: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjorourke View Post
That way we could have fraud on a truly massive scale.

If you can't make the effort to get your ass to a poling place, your vote shouldn't count.
I guess you vote your corporate shares in person at every annual and special meeting of shareholders. Well, I'm not so lucky as having a schedule that allows me to make those arrangements, so I vote my shares over the internet with a username/pin.

I would be willing to bet the global corps that are doing this have tested against fraud, otherwise a takeover of the corps would be easy.

I'm assuming you're saying the same about all US citizens overseas: if they can't get their asses to the polling places, then your vote shouldn't count. Seems like a pretty good slap in the face to the military and diplomatic corps.
charlestudor2005 is offline   Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 12:33 PM   #33
pjorourke
Valued Poster

CT, for most companies, in reality the only votes that count are the institutional shares which typically control enough votes to pass or kill most shareholder votes.A well run company knows where these votes stand before the proxy is even sent out.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:37 PM   #34
pjorourke
Valued Poster

Quote:
I'm assuming you're saying the same about all US citizens overseas: if they can't get their asses to the polling places, then your vote shouldn't count. Seems like a pretty good slap in the face to the military and diplomatic corps.
They have to make the effort to get an absentee ballot, fill it out and send it back. Thats enough effort.

I'm not sure we need elections decided by someone sitting on their couch who during a commercial break from Oprah, decides to vote instead of buying something they don't need on ebay. Effective democracy requires an informed an motivated electorate.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:50 PM   #35
WTF
Lifetime Premium Access

Quote:
They have to make the effort to get an absentee ballot, fill it out and send it back. Thats enough effort.

Some people efforts are concentrated in just making a living. Voting should not require some running of the land mine test IMHO. One person one vote, remember?

Quote:
. Effective democracy requires an informed an motivated electorate.
Are you saying we do not have an ''Effective democracy'' or that only those that pass the ''Effective democracy'' test should be able to vote?
WTF is offline   Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 12:57 PM   #36
pjorourke
Valued Poster

Lets just say that elections are more important than who wins American Idol or Dancing with the Stars and thus ought to take a bit more commitment for participating.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:26 PM   #37
atlcomedy
Valued Poster

Quote:

I'm not sure we need elections decided by someone sitting on their couch who during a commercial break from Oprah, decides to vote instead of buying something they don't need on ebay. Effective democracy requires an informed an motivated electorate.
Now if they were watching Fox News and when it went to commercial & they could vote from the couch...now that would be ok (he said with sarcasm)

Quote:
Lets just say that elections are more important than who wins American Idol or Dancing with the Stars and thus ought to take a bit more commitment for participating.
I disagree a citizen needs to show "commitment" to participate.

The primary priority ought to be to ensure the integrity of the election. Beyond that the next priority ought to be efficiency for the voter. That could encompass everything from ensuring balloting stations are appropriately staffed to early polling stations to in the future evaluating technology that would allow us to securely vote online.

Voting should be easy.
atlcomedy is offline   Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 02:04 PM   #38
pjorourke
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlcomedy View Post
a) Now if they were watching Fox News and when it went to commercial & they could vote from the couch...now that would be ok (he said with sarcasm)

b) I disagree a citizen needs to show "commitment" to participate.

The primary priority ought to be to ensure the integrity of the election. Beyond that the next priority ought to be efficiency for the voter. That could encompass everything from ensuring balloting stations are appropriately staffed to early polling stations to in the future evaluating technology that would allow us to securely vote online.

Voting should be easy.
a) No.

b) I think we need to go back to requiring "land holding" as a condition of voting.
Old 04-03-2011, 02:13 PM   #39
charlestudor2005
Valued Poster

Encounters: 8

Quote:
b) I think we need to go back to requiring "land holding" as a condition of voting.
So, if I stand at the voting booth with a clod of dirt in my hand....
charlestudor2005 is offline   Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 02:36 PM   #40
Black Sedan
Premium Access

Encounters: 21

Quote:
I'm fervently opposed to poll taxes, voter literacy tests, photo ID requirements, and property ownership requirements.

In my view, voter registration itself is a disenfranchising measure. It's a compromise measure between completely open voting (such as you get inked when you vote, and therefore no opportunity for early voting or absentee) Note that in several states, same-day voter registration is allowed, and I find that a more preferable compromise. In Texas, it's required to be properly registered 30 days ahead.

I find it deplorable that the Patriot act instituted a government issue ID requirement to participate in private financial transactions, such as opening a bank account.
Black Sedan is offline   Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 02:46 PM   #41
atlcomedy
Valued Poster

I'm pretty sure PJ was kidding...

that said, what type of controls do you suggest on voting if any?

registration is the process that ensures residency and you are not part of a class (felons) that has given up that right.

under your "just show up" program, what if any, documentation do you need to provide to prove your bonafides?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Sedan View Post
I'm fervently opposed to poll taxes, voter literacy tests, photo ID requirements, and property ownership requirements.

In my view, voter registration itself is a disenfranchising measure. It's a compromise measure between completely open voting (such as you get inked when you vote, and therefore no opportunity for early voting or absentee) Note that in several states, same-day voter registration is allowed, and I find that a more preferable compromise. In Texas, it's required to be properly registered 30 days ahead.

I find it deplorable that the Patriot act instituted a government issue ID requirement to participate in private financial transactions, such as opening a bank account.
Old 04-03-2011, 03:27 PM   #42
pjorourke
Valued Poster

Quote:
So, if I stand at the voting booth with a clod of dirt in my hand....
Well its better than holding something else in your hand.
Old 04-03-2011, 04:40 PM   #43
Guest050715-1
Account Disabled

User ID: 2746

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTF View Post
No chit, 24 Hour fitness has this ID system.

The problem with allot of this is that the poorer and less educated the more likely you will not go through the means to get the proper ID to vote. Well some see this as a problem, other love this fact.
Why is more likely the poor or less educated will go through with getting an ID to vote if they are going through the trouble to register? Makes no sense to me.

How is it a "Nazi" concept to ask people to have sufficient ID to vote? I have to show my drivers license to vote.

And no, only citizens of the United States and district residents should be allowed to vote.
Guest050715-1 is offline   Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 04:54 PM   #44
atlcomedy
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliviaHoward View Post
Why is more likely the poor or less educated will go through with getting an ID to vote if they are going through the trouble to register? Makes no sense to me.

I think you misread WTF's point. He asserts the poor or less educated are less likely to take steps necessary to ensure they are able to vote.

He's correct. I think very few disagree with this.
Old 04-03-2011, 04:57 PM   #45
Guest050715-1
Account Disabled

User ID: 2746

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlcomedy View Post
I think you misread WTF's point. He asserts the poor or less educated are less likely to take steps necessary to ensure they are able to vote.

He's correct. I think very few disagree with this.
Oh, ok, then yes, I agree. I think THEY are less likely to get themselves registered on their own, but there are many civil groups that are registering people in mass. But in the end, I think they poor and uneducated are less likely to go vote even if they are registered.
Guest050715-1 is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women