Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > Diamonds and Tuxedos
Diamonds and Tuxedos Glamour, elegance, and sophistication. That's what it's all about here in ECCIE's newest forum which caters to those with expensive tastes, lavish lifestyles, and an appetite for upscale entertainment.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 373
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 262
sharkman29 250
George Spelvin 246
Top Posters
DallasRain70403
biomed160442
Yssup Rider59884
gman4452910
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47495
pyramider46370
bambino40302
CryptKicker37077
Mokoa36485
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35292
Mojojo33117

Old 10-19-2010, 08:03 AM   #1
ClairJordan
Pending Age Verification

User ID: 47636
My ECCIE Reviews
Default Your NOLA experience...

I am planning my time in New Orleans the first week of November, and wondered if anyone had any positive experiences they would share. I have been going to NO for a long time and have many different adventures, but of course, it's the klind of place which is unlimted in it's diversity.
I have stayed in the French Quarter but find it rather noisy; the Garden District, which I love visiting during the day, but it's a bit far for nightlife; The WareHouse District, which was cool and artsy but not great forhotel selection.
I am seeing several interesting hotels in an area between the Quarter and Warehouse District. The Internationl Hotel is there, a place called the Jefferson, and the Ambassador. Anyone stayed in the vicinity or these hotels?
As far as dining: I have been to Commodore's Palace and used to love a place called Maximo's (BK). I prefer bistros and cafes to more formal dining. Any favorite out of the way places? I will def check out Tipatina's for live music, as I always do. Other venues off the beaten track?
I am attending a memorial service which will include a 2nd Line. Would love to experience some more local flava.
Thanks in advance, your input is appreciated!
ClairJordan is offline   Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:33 AM   #2
DallasRain
HELL's bell ringer!!

User ID: 3067
Location: Based in Missouri AND coming to play in your town soon!!!
My Bio Page
My ECCIE Reviews

I have stayed at Ambassader...nice older hotel...it has cool antique beds & wood floors..close to Lucy's bar{great place to grab a bite & hang out}

http://www.lucysretiredsurfers.com/

Royal Sonesta has a cool bulesque show

http://www.sonesta.com/RoyalNewOrlea...staurant2.home

http://blog.nola.com/myevents/2008/0...the_mysti.html

I love love love New Orleans!!!!
have fun babe!!!!
DallasRain is offline   Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 11:27 AM   #3
terbul
Account Disabled

I love New Orleans!!

I look for condos and what NOLA calls B&Bs using rentalo.com and homeaway.com. I usually end up an the edges of the French Quarter (where it is both close and quiet) or in Marigny (which isn't too far and is close to the great clubs on Frenchmen St.

I'm not a Burbon St fan other than the Clover Grill and Lafitte's bar; both way down Burbon.

For "nice" restaurants I like Dante's (danteskitchen.com/) and Brigstens (http://www.brigtsens.com/), conveniently across the road from each other; for old world charm Irene's, for neighborhood I like the Port of Call, Coops (coopsplace.net), and YoMama's (yomamasbarandgrill.com). Another interesting little bar is Molly's, which didn't close during Katrina (what mandatory evacuation?).

For music a must see is Preservation Hall (particularly when The Preservation Hall Jazz Band is in town). Other venues; for Jazz/blues the clubs on Frenchmen (Spotted Cat, Apple Barrel, DBA, etc.), a great dive bar is Checkpoint Charlie's. Check One Eyed Jack's for interesting acts.

And lots more interesting places. I actually have a spreadsheet to keep track of the places I've been, and those I'd like to see.
terbul is offline   Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 04:09 PM   #4
Sydneyb
Pending Age Verification

User ID: 5481

The Royal Omni is on Royal; they have balcony rooms (I don't stay there without the balcony - the other rooms are too small and the balcony gives you a great place to have coffee in the morning as you watch the shops on Royal open up). Being a couple blocks from Bienville and Bourbon makes it quiet enough to feel out of the fray, but close enough that you're safe walking to and from.

If you gamble, the Windsor Court is offering great prices on suites last I was there.

I've been wanting to stay at Loft 523 - locals give it thumbs up for cool and sexy factor.

Favorite place to eat is GW Finns. If you call a day in advance, the chef will prepare you a chefs tasting to DIE for (clearly I love food. But this food is good ;-). He loves to cook for beautiful women; he will carefully select your items that morning and then make you taste after taste after taste. Upon request, he will pair it with wines for you. Its not cheap, but it shouldn't be. I have brought several friends there and each of them has said that it was the best meal she's ever had. And the chef is pretty sexy to boot!
Sydneyb is offline   Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 04:37 PM   #5
guest031413
Account Disabled

User ID: 20510
My ECCIE Reviews
Default recommendations

There are lots of great recs already, but here are a few more...
For a great local chef and amazing broiled Oysters go see scott at One on Hampson. For amazing italian food with lots of garlic, go to Vincent's on Saint Charles. I would also recommend a little bistro on Magazine called Martinique and on Esplanade, there is a fantastic bistro called Cafe Degas.
As far as rooms, I don't know what you are planning on spending, but the Ritz always has great deals. I have stayed at the International house and loved it.
Good luck!
guest031413 is offline   Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:11 PM   #6
macksback
Valued Poster

Encounters: 57

Fezzo's is a great place too eat (out of the way )
macksback is offline   Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 04:43 AM   #7
Guest083011
Account Disabled

Encounters: 6

For dinner:
http://www.bayona.com/
I motioned this place to you. Great food and service. The sommelier was about 12 years old and very knowledgeable.
Guest083011 is offline   Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:01 AM   #8
ClairJordan
Pending Age Verification

User ID: 47636
My ECCIE Reviews

http://www.lucysretiredsurfers.com/

Dallas, love the looks of this place! You gonna meet me for a drink?

Thanks to everyone for all suggestions! Keep 'em coming...
ClairJordan is offline   Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 03:16 PM   #9
Tracey P
Pending Age Verification

User ID: 4450
My ECCIE Reviews

I went a few weeks ago with a very special friend Try the Palace Cafe on Canal St. Its a Brennans restaraunt and has fantastic New Orleans cuisine! Best bananas foster Ive had yet! Ride the streetcars down to the garden district, go to cafe dumonde, but the best thing we did by far was take a guided tour of the Hurricane Katrina damage.
Tracey P is offline   Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 05:41 PM   #10
Guest083011
Account Disabled

You could do Restaurant August, too. One of John Besh's places. www.restaurantaugust.com/
Old 10-20-2010, 08:51 PM   #11
Sydneyb
Pending Age Verification

User ID: 5481

Ansley reminded me that I posted this homage to NOLA on Youtube a few years ago: I don't think the purpose at the time was as much about NOLA as it was that I was trying to learn some microsoft photo program (part of my courtesan continuing education that I was engaged in at the time)

Intro:
I have had a love affair with NOLA for years and travel there for work as often as possible. A bunch of these older photos are from Bellocq, a photographer who had access to the bordellos that housed the legal prostitutes during the early 1900's. I wanted to mix those in with today's art and ugliness of the city....the city has a vibrant, sexual, bordello vibe to me and I wanted to relay that in this montage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKRjNyq17r4
Sydneyb is offline   Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 10:28 PM   #12
heidilynnla
Pending Age Verification

User ID: 9583
My ECCIE Reviews

Priceline Convention Center or French Quarter 3.5 stars you can usually get a room for $60 all nice and convenient.

Frenchman Street is the local version of Bourbon Street. Couchon is excellent for local soul food with an Upscale twist! The Caroussel bar at The Monteleone is a rare treasure. Used to go there often til a client outed me.

Stroll down Royal Street to admire the art and antiques or take a leisurely ride on a streetcar through the Garden District. Must try Turtle soup, try Galotoires for lunch.
heidilynnla is offline   Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 09:56 AM   #13
Sisyphus
Valued Poster

Location: Up a hill...down a hill... Up a hill...down a hill...
Default I just walked back in the door from a quick trip to NOLA....

My favorable experiences....

A wonderful meal at August. Dunno exactly how to characterize the cuisine...neauveux creole, perhaps? I just know it was pretty damn tasty & the service was fantastic!

Enjoyed some good (for a Tuesday night!) music at the Jazz Playhouse in the Royal Sonesta Hotel. A place, I might add, that I will seriously consider staying in the next time I go even though it's on Bourbon Street which is not my favorite part of town. I like the balconies overlooking the interior courtyard

A nice stroll through Jackson square, which is probably about as close as you'll get to an idea of what the place looked like way back in the day.

A trip to the WW2 museum. A little too much emphasis on D-Day (understandable given the Ambrose influence & the Higgen's boat connection to the town) for my taste but still very interesting & well thought-out.

My condolences for your loss! I hope the trip proves enjoyable & memorable
Sisyphus is offline   Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:28 PM   #14
Guest053011
Account Disabled

User ID: 4424

One of my favorite cities in the world. I've had nothing but good experiences.

My list of suggestions:

Accomidations
- loft523.com
Haven't been but hear good things.

-lepavillon.com
Located downtown, just a short walk from the French Quarter, this was my nest on my virgin trip to New Orleans. It has an old world charm, with four post beds, and a beautiful roof top pool. The staff is sincere, considerate and eager to help. An unforgettable stay.

- The Little Yellow House (email me for contact info)
A cozy townhouse like residence. Full kitchen, living room with an upstairs bedrooms. Laundry on premise with a little backyard seating area. I LOVE the privacy of it.

Cornstalk Hotel
This old mansion has 14 rooms and an intimate parlour. Furnished with antiques and beautiful peaces, it is a reflection of a Louisianta plantation home. Located in the heart of the French Quarter.

MUSIC

- Chickie Wah Wah - 2828 Canal St
Some truly fantastic local musicians play here. It's an intimate venue, and one of the few non-smoking venues in the city. The sound system is really quite nice for such a small place. The shows start earlier here then most other places in the city, and they have a great selection of beer. The food is often raved about, a simple pub grub that you order out of a take-out style window. I hadn't indulged in the food as I'd had my fill before arriving.

- The Spotted Cat - 623 Frenchmen St
An incredible local jazz club, always full of people dancing and drinking - the atmosphere always seems electric. I was most amused to use the ladies room and find a piano nestled to one side. This isn't a formal atmosphere, in fact, you can imagine it being a speakeasy. It's dimly lit and charmingly worn out, the drinks are inexpensive and it's almost always crowded.

- Snug Harbour - 626 Frenchmen St
Arguably the best Jazz club in the city. This place is a little more formal then other New Orleans Jazz Clubs, the bar here isn't a major focus. It's got a fantastic stage with two levels of seating that provide you a clear view of the performers. There's always a cover charge, the audience is generally older and tends to attract aficionados

- Preservation Hall - 726 St Peters St.
This is the kind of place jazz is born. Located in a 300 year old carriage house this is a very intimate venue. There are floor pillow, benches and some standing room with a few chairs off to the side. The musicians stand so close you can literally reach out and touch them. An unforgettable place to see incredibly talented musicians.

Tippitina's - 501 Napoleon Ave
Located up town this is a famed New Orleans music venue. It's a large space that can hold several hundred people, and tends to attract a young crowd. It tends to be known for it's counter culture vibe, it's a bit gritty and has a most affordable bar.

SHOPPING

fifimahonys.com
They have two locations - wild wigs, makeup and accessories. I always stop by here, it's spectacular!

Arcadian Books & Art Prints - 714 Orleans Ave.
This came recommended by locals. They insisted it's the best book store they've ever been to - anywhere. A cluttered shop with piles and piles of books - but if you need to find something the store clerk knows exactly where it is! There are wonderful regional books as well as a large French selection.

Faulkner House Books - 624 Pirates Alley
This is a charming little store, with a regional selection and local authors, with a great poetry collection. The beautiful wooden bookshelves really set the atmosphere in this place, with no real cashier, but a table piled with books where the clerk sits. I always find the staff friendly and knowledgeable.

Idea Factory - 828 Chartres
Always go here when in NOLA. This is an artisan shop of wooden treasures. I return on every trip as they are stocked with some items I collect, and I can always count on this store to have treasured new finds. One of my favorite sections of the store has clocks and toys made out of pieces of musical instruments. Everything in here is a display of fantastic craftsmanship.

Razzle Dazzle 524 Royal St
They stock one of my favorite hard-to-find jewelry designers, so I always visit when I'm in town. They have a lot of beautiful artisan objects of all kinds, but I rarely get passed the jewelry case before I've emptied my wallet for the day.

Craig Tracy Gallery - 827 Royal St
His focus is on painting the human body, but this is not a man who paints bikini's onto models. Each piece is a work of fine art, fantasticly beautiful and imaginative. Not to be missed.

Oh Susannah - 518 St Peter St
A doll shop for collectors. They have ornate doll houses as well as the the stunning detailed pieces you'd need to furnish it. However, they also have stunning imported and handmade dolls by locals. Some unique, beautiful and plain fun stuff in this shop.

Java House Imports - 913 Decatur St.
A beautiful shop loaded with wooden imports, of sculptures, jewelry, and other charming odds and ends.

Papier Plume - 842 Royal St.
This store is devoted to the craftsmenship of writing tools. Fountain pens here are absolutely stunning works of art, available in every price range. For fanatics, like myself, you can find excellent quality sealing wax, as well as a variety of beautiful seals to suit and person or moment. They also have stunning imported stationary, that will soak up in perfectly. The staff is friendly, helpful, experienced and knowledgeable. A letter writer's dream come true.

Music Factory - 210 Decatur St
This place is a treasure chest of music! It specializes in local artists, and has a vinyl section that will make collectors weak at the knees. The staff has encyclopedic knowledge of the artists, so if you don't know where to start in their huge collection, don't be afraid to ask. They are most eager to be helpful. This isn't a store you want to visit only once, it's the sort of place you want to return to constantly, and fortunately they have a website and ship!!

FOOD

The Orange Couch - 2339 Royal Street
This minimalistic, cool and comfortable coffee shop has wifi access, incredible coffee, and amazing milk shakes, and delicious pastries. I am especially a fan of the Thai Iced Tea Milkshakes! True to it's name there are two large couches, one orange, and the other white. It's a calm atmosphere with kind staff.

Dante's Kitchen - 736 Dante St
A wonderful restaurant located in a house, serving Cajun and Creole food. The food is locally sourced so the menu can change, but many of the items are mouth watering and unique. The waiters wear flannel shirts and jeans, but they are knowledgeable and courteous without being pretentious. It's a smart casual dress code, with a drink list that's inspired. You can choose from a entree dish or mix small plates and sides to create your own meal. I really enjoyed the Louisiana rice, it had a delicious kick to the spice. Oh and the corn bread is incredibly, good enough to be a dessert!

Brigtsen's - 723 Dante St.
Located immediately across the street from Dante's Kitchen, I came here primarily for the pecan pie. It's delicious, not too sweet so I was actually able to eat the whole piece, where normally I can't get past a couple of bites. This place is also located inside a house, with a much quieter more matronly atmosphere. I found my waitress warm, attentive and talkative without being intrusive. I hope to go back for the turtle soup.

Bennachin - 1212 Royal St
A cozy, casual little African place with lots of vegitarian options. The black eyed pea fritters are absolutely delicious, and I'm terribly amused by the fufu, mostly because I like saying it. Fufu is a starch, pounded yams, and is quite good as well. I especially like to order it with stew and dip it in as I eat. The fried plantains are not to be missed either. The food here strikes me as home style cooking, it's simple but quite nice.

Irene's Cuisine - 539 Saint Philip St.
A beautiful Italian restaurant. I am especially in love with the rich decor, full of antique books, stain glass, and dim lighting to make for a a sultry feel. Irene greets all the guests at the door - and I get the impression she does not know where she is, and may not know who she is, but still makes for a lovely first impression upon entering - and oddly suitable for a place in New Orleans. I found the duck quite lovely but was especially in love with the mashes sweet potato, wonderfully flavored with maple syrup.

Yo MaMa's - 727 St. Peter St
This small bar is located across the street from Preservation Hall, I often go here before or after a show. This seems to be a popular spot with locals, and it's not wonder - the bartender's there are very charming. She is always kind enough to keep an eye on the line in front of the hall and as soon as about eight people show up she tosses me the bill and says "What are you still doing in here! Here up, get in line!". I'm absolutely infatuated with the peanut butter ad bacon burger, and have been eying their caviar and sour cream burger for sometime - but have not worked up the courage yet. Regardless of what I order, I've never managed to pick up the burger and eat it with my hands. They all come with a very nice baked potato. The drinks are mixed strong but not ridiculously so. I never go to NOLA without stopping in here.

Port Of Call - 838 Esplanade Ave
One of those spots that always seems to have a line up outside the door. Great burgers, nice and thick, a wonderfully awkward to eat with a baked potato that you can load with toppings if that's you style. It's got dim lighting and nautical kitsch, with big bar not shy about adding in the booze to your drink. As so many places say in New Orleans "Big Ass Drinks", two of their special drinks and you might me stumbling out of there

Coop's Place - 1109 Decatur St
A laid back local hang out with great Cajun/Creole food, most popular for it's Rabbit & Chicken Jambalaya. My personal favorite is the crawfish and Jalapeno poppers stuffed with crab meat . If your lucky they'll have gator in stock, but it's popular and disappears fast. The staff tell me they most often get it on the weekends. It's often claimed that Coop's has bad service down to an art, but really it's just casual and friendly. I'd avoid the washrooms if you can.

Clover Grill - 900 Bourbon St
Open 24 hours a day this is a great place to go when drunk, tried and hungry. Or even for breakfast when you've just woken up at four in the afternoon. A typical diner that always makes my over-easy eggs PERFECT. The hashbrowns are great, and the coffee is nice. I especially like sitting at the counter where I can watch the short order cooks work their magic. Be warned, it's often packed! A great greasy spoon.

La Peniche - 1940 Dauphine St
This is a really laid back and quiet place - perfect after a night of crazy parties and loud music. I hear good things about the PoBoys and Pancakes but I actually went there for a breaded homestyle steak with white gravy. I loved every bite, but to be honest it was more the atmosphere at the end of such a crazy night that made it perfect for me.

Sucre - 3025 Magazine St
I haven't yet been here, however, I have had so many positive recommendations that I felt the need to add it to my list. Apparently the spiked milkshakes are absolutely to die for. I'll share more once I've had the pleasure of visiting!
Guest053011 is offline   Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 07:29 PM   #15
Guest083011
Account Disabled

Gee, Lauren, got any *real* details and insight? It seems so superficial. Sarcasm alert off.

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women