Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > Diamonds and Tuxedos
Diamonds and Tuxedos Glamour, elegance, and sophistication. That's what it's all about here in ECCIE's newest forum which caters to those with expensive tastes, lavish lifestyles, and an appetite for upscale entertainment.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 373
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 262
sharkman29 250
George Spelvin 246
Top Posters
DallasRain70404
biomed160489
Yssup Rider59902
gman4452916
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47511
pyramider46370
bambino40307
CryptKicker37079
Mokoa36485
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35324
Mojojo33117

Old 07-02-2010, 02:52 PM   #1
Sydneyb
Pending Age Verification

User ID: 5481
Default Electronic Readers

The debate on WSJ and NYT's reminded me I wanted to ask this question.

I just got the Sony Reader as a gift (it was an extra - who has TWO of everything?? This man does..) and am now reading the wsj and the nyt's on it daily. My electronic versions of both (not including my keeping the times sunday paper delivery) are just slightly more than my former wsj daily and weekend nyt's.

So in that sense, its a good deal; I like having it, its simpler to carry around and it uploads without any effort. It is also searchable, has a dictionary that simple to use and is easy to read.

However, the Sony Reader site kind of sucks. I was able to download a couple of books I'm reading (highly recommend War by Junger and The Gort Cloud - both are great reads), but couldn't download the sotheby's wine encylopedia - which would be amazing in searchable format - or many other books of interest. Its all James Patterson and crud like that. Is that the case with all readers right now? Is the content just not readily available?

So, I'm going to wait until the i-pad has a generation or two and invest in that. With the $25 wireless fee, it can be used anywhere, has internet access, music, just a better product, I think. What is the take from the Kindle/i-pad/nook and sony owners out there?
Sydneyb is offline   Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 04:22 PM   #2
oden
Valued Poster

I have a Kindle and am very happy with the exception it dose not have a backlight for reading at night. However, they have solved the glare problem and it is easy to use even in bright sunlight. They are partnered with Amazon and so far I have been very pleased with the selections available and the speed of the downloads.

I haven't used the subscription services but I know it is available. My only real gripe with the whole concept is the fact that I love to share a good read with friends and family and you can't loan a good book to someone.
oden is offline   Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 07:23 PM   #3
charlestudor2005
Valued Poster

Encounters: 8

I just ordered a Kindle. But I must have hit a surge after the price drop since it is taking Amazon about 2 months to get it to me. I had hoped to have it prior to vacation, but no such luck.

The only mag to which I subscribe in paper format (The Atlantic) is available from Amazon for a reasonable amount. Looking forward to it.

I had researched other ereaders, but nothing had the resources as the Kindle.

BTW, Amazon is about to release a new Kindle DX. Out of my price range, but looks really cool.

If you look really, really close beside the big pic, you'll see the thin pic.
charlestudor2005 is offline   Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 07:43 PM   #4
Sydneyb
Pending Age Verification

Hey - I read the Atlantic Monthly too! And Harpers and National Geographic and Yoga Journal and Laphams Quarterly (which is particularly awesome). None of which are available from the sony reader store. Darn it.

Okay. I jammed my finger a month ago (I fell out of bed - really) and its still swollen and hurts. I have nothing better to do tonight, I'm off to the 24 hr er. grrr. But I have my reader, so at least, there's that!
Old 07-02-2010, 07:55 PM   #5
charlestudor2005
Valued Poster

Encounters: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydneyb View Post
Okay. I jammed my finger a month ago (I fell out of bed - really)
Damn! It wasn't my bed.
charlestudor2005 is offline   Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 09:25 PM   #6
Tex9401

Encounters: 3

Here is article that I came across recently.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/amazon...33?tag=nl.e539
Tex9401 is offline   Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 06:37 PM   #7
Sydneyb
Pending Age Verification

Today's NYT's had this article in the Magazine regarding ipads. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/04/ma...ef=todayspaper

In a generation or two, its what I'm going to want, I've decieded.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:58 PM   #8
gamma
Gaining Momentum

Quote:
Hey - I read the Atlantic Monthly too! And Harpers and National Geographic and Yoga Journal and Laphams Quarterly (which is particularly awesome). None of which are available from the sony reader store. Darn it.

Okay. I jammed my finger a month ago (I fell out of bed - really) and its still swollen and hurts. I have nothing better to do tonight, I'm off to the 24 hr er. grrr. But I have my reader, so at least, there's that!

I think Lapham's on an e-reader would really take away from the experience.
gamma is offline   Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 10:09 PM   #9
atlcomedy
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by oden View Post
. My only real gripe with the whole concept is the fact that I love to share a good read with friends and family and you can't loan a good book to someone.
I haven't delved into this yet. Not that I want to, but I predict I will within the next year or two.

One of my guilty pleasures is reading the latest best seller in print form on airplanes and then giving the book to one of the flight attendants when I finish. I have found that they are some of the most voracious readers of all.

That said I predict within a year or two most of them will have a reader of some sort themselves...
atlcomedy is offline   Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 10:30 PM   #10
oden
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlcomedy View Post
I haven't delved into this yet. Not that I want to, but I predict I will within the next year or two.

One of my guilty pleasures is reading the latest best seller in print form on airplanes and then giving the book to one of the flight attendants when I finish. I have found that they are some of the most voracious readers of all.

That said I predict within a year or two most of them will have a reader of some sort themselves...
The upside for you and the attendants is that if you finish a book while traveling you can download a new bestseller instantly and the reader is not bulky. The batteries are also very long lasting and recharge quickly. Admittedly, you can't put your name and number in the inside cover when handed to a pretty girl!
oden is offline   Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 10:58 PM   #11
atlcomedy
Valued Poster

Quote:
The upside for you and the attendants is that if you finish a book while traveling you can download a new bestseller instantly and the reader is not bulky. The batteries are also very long lasting and recharge quickly. Admittedly, you can't put your name and number in the inside cover when handed to a pretty girl!
Forgive my ignorance on this technology but can I buy her (FA) the book (fast forward a year or so and we both have readers) instantly without a whole lot of logistical hassle (if she gave me her user name like oden or atlcomedy, not asking for her personal info)

or could I send my Mom (who would have a compatible reader) in Kansas the book, it be charged to my account, with a quick email note like, "I thought you migh enjoy this one"

I've never been a part of a formal book club but millions are. We all grew up in school sharing the experience of reading the same book and talking about it...

There is a very social element to reading...how are these e-readers responding to that today?
Old 07-04-2010, 11:04 PM   #12
Sydneyb
Pending Age Verification

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamma View Post
I think Lapham's on an e-reader would really take away from the experience.
Wow! a fellow explorer....I'm glad to see others like it too. I agree, I like the finality of having them lined up on a shelf for reference (its not a collection of more than 4 since i've only been subscribing for this year) I think I started subscribing when the quarterly started, so its pretty cool its catching on and others know about it.

2 sides to the thought: one: if I subscribed to the quarterly on an i-pad, its only valuable to me if I can highlight a section and send it via email to someone who would find it interesting - The ability to share information in a real time, useful and efficient way. .

I agree, if its only on a machine to be read alone, it loses its substance. Though maybe he should charge $50 bucks more and make it a hardcover. Later, the diehards can get it in leather, like encylopedia's. AND having it electronically. I agree that I like having a hard copy to pull out to expand on a conversation in the living room about travel, or the arts - or whatever subject is - and actually USING it as a reference tool about obscure things my background hadn't previously exposed me to.

So yeah. Both is good. Heavy discounts for hardcopy subscribers is the business model that I imagine would work - rewarding loyalty with a searchable database of interesting information. While the actual data is already available via wiki, etc, Lapham's wide knowledge base provides an eclectic grouping of writing on a single subject that exposures one to things they wouldn't thing of/know to search for.

As an aside: what does gamma actually mean? I understand its a number, its a letter. but I don't understand what the secret code of the name is?

Quote:
Admittedly, you can't put your name and number in the inside cover when handed to a pretty girl!
No - but you can get her email address and if you actually like her you will use her address to send her a book before she leaves port, so to speak. A man who likes you beyond the moment of being in your presence is kind of nice (and by kind of, I mean super nice).

So are random acts of kindness, per ATL's intentions, I think. So ATL, your value proposition as it relates to a hard copy isn't lost on me. Still, send it electronically for a small fee, or people set up one-for-one trades on their readers.

At the very least, the ability to give at least once, a book you've purchased electronically would be a good middle ground perhaps?)

Edited to add:
yep ATL, you got to my point while I was trying to think straight and go around and around verbally! Talk about real time and efficiant...
Old 07-04-2010, 11:31 PM   #13
oden
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlcomedy View Post
Forgive my ignorance on this technology but can I buy her (FA) the book (fast forward a year or so and we both have readers) instantly without a whole lot of logistical hassle (if she gave me her user name like oden or atlcomedy, not asking for her personal info)

or could I send my Mom (who would have a compatible reader) in Kansas the book, it be charged to my account, with a quick email note like, "I thought you migh enjoy this one"

I've never been a part of a formal book club but millions are. We all grew up in school sharing the experience of reading the same book and talking about it...

There is a very social element to reading...how are these e-readers responding to that today?
No,
Unless you have access to their Amazon password account you can't pass a book from one Kendell to another. However, since you can transfer an electronic book to your computer I am sure you can forward it to another computer, but I don't know if the second party could download it to their Kendell. I am sure some of the more technically save here have found a way.

I have tried calling to see if I could buy an electronic novel for someone that I knew had a Kendell but was told that I would have to buy a gift card. Just not the same for me. I want to give or share the book.
oden is offline   Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 11:44 PM   #14
Dharma
Pending Age Verification

User ID: 1673
My ECCIE Reviews

The Nook has a list of 135 titles that are available for lending and can be loaned for two weeks. Unless you're in the same household. Then after some doing, you can read whatever another household member has. I have a nook but what I really want is the Que. It's an e-reader with a larger screen that's made more for business people.

http://www.que.com/
Dharma is offline   Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 11:58 PM   #15
atlcomedy
Valued Poster

Quote:
So are random acts of kindness, per ATL's intentions, I think. So ATL, your value proposition as it relates to a hard copy isn't lost on me. Still, send it electronically for a small fee, or people set up one-for-one trades on their readers.

At the very least, the ability to give at least once, a book you've purchased electronically would be a good middle ground perhaps?)

Edited to add:
yep ATL, you got to my point while I was trying to think straight and go around and around verbally! Talk about real time and efficiant...
Again I really don't know the specifics on how they work now pricing wise.

I'd be more concerned with the cost of the content (or what it will be in 2 years) vs. the hardware cost. If you can rent an all-you-can-eat buffet for $9/month for all kinds of original content via netflix, etc what is a fair price for an e-book?

& Yeah it pretty much is a "Pay it Forward" proposition for me as far as gifting. The attendant is male as often as not and says, "Oh your reading the new Scott Turow? I loved the last one...."

What am I going to do...carry the thing around for the next couple of days (while I'm on my trip), throw it on a bookshelf for the next 10 years...give it to some charity in 10 years for their bookdrive?

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women