Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > Diamonds and Tuxedos
Diamonds and Tuxedos Glamour, elegance, and sophistication. That's what it's all about here in ECCIE's newest forum which caters to those with expensive tastes, lavish lifestyles, and an appetite for upscale entertainment.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 370
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 262
sharkman29 250
George Spelvin 244
Top Posters
DallasRain70384
biomed160299
Yssup Rider59854
gman4452866
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47432
pyramider46370
bambino40285
CryptKicker37064
Mokoa36485
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35161
Mojojo33117

Old 05-11-2010, 03:25 PM   #1
atlcomedy
Valued Poster

Default How Important is Mother's Day (Father's Day)?

Quote:
And Sweet Elizabeth...don't be jealous - first of all, you have things I don't anymore....My daughter lives in CA now and I didn't get her for Mothers day. I spent that day alone this year. My daughter is grown up and your little guy is still growing...you have an amazing amount of freedom (and a little loneliness) once they're gone...As to the rest; yeah. I am lucky -- I have an ex client that has been nothing but amazing to me, so yeah. I count my blessings, but there is a cost to my choices (like being alone on mothers day) that puts things on balance. As a brilliant friend of mine says: Everything is a trade. Not a trade OFF. But a trade.
SydneyB said this in another thread & I didn't want to hijack it...

How important is that day? Maybe I'm just having feelings of guilt that are unnecessary.

My Mom has several children. We all sent cards/flowers and had a substantial phone call (15+ minutes each) with her. Bottomline, she was recognized & we spent time with her; it wasn't like she was neglected.

The problem is geography. We all live a long way away from her -- certainly not the distance where you just drop in for dinner.

In years past, some or all of us, as adult children have been able to spend the day with her, as circumstances were different.
atlcomedy is offline   Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 03:46 PM   #2
discreetgent
Valued Poster

Location: Even with a gorgeous avatar: Happiness is ephemeral

My parents never made a big deal about either day, they were non-events. I've carried forward in that tradition.
discreetgent is offline   Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 04:46 PM   #3
OneHotMale
Valued Poster

I live roughly 30 minutes from my parents as well as does my sister in another direction so it is convient for she and her family as well as myself to meet at the parents home to take them out. The brother on the other hand lives in another state so he is resigned to a phone call.
OneHotMale is offline   Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 05:14 PM   #4
LynetteMarie
Pending Age Verification

User ID: 3412
My ECCIE Reviews

From childhood, Mother's Day was a bigger deal than Father's Day as the school year was still in progress during Mother's Day. Up through Junior High,we would create a piece of art each year during the school day to bring home to Mom, whether a crayola drawing or a short story.

By the time Father's Day hit, we children were too busy playing in the pool to really acknowledge the day.

When I moved 2000 miles away from Mom and Dad, I would usually send flowers for Mom and gift cards for Dad on the holidays (are they technically holidays, by the way?). I would also call for a chat but that wasn't anything out of the norm as I spoke to them every other day. The gifts felt contrived and insincere.

Now that Mom and Dad live less than two hours away, I will spend a night or two at their house and pamper them with gourmet meals (Mom HATES cooking after all these years and I LOVE spending hours preparing meals lately) along with something else created from the heart like a painting (I love working with acrylics) or a poem. This is much more meaningful than the store bought cards and gifts and how we celebrate birthdays and Christmas as well. (In fact, Christmas celebrations generally no longer involve a gift exchange.)
LynetteMarie is offline   Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 06:15 PM   #5
terbul
Account Disabled

More now, that they're gone.
terbul is offline   Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 06:51 PM   #6
Guest053011
Account Disabled

User ID: 4424

I personally never cared for Mother's Day and Father's Day. My parents did.

I offered a trade off: Ignore my birthday and don't buy me gifts on Christmas, and I'll pass on all the traditional holidays as well.

They've at least stopped taking it personally when I am the only child not to bother lol
Guest053011 is offline   Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 06:55 PM   #7
pjorourke
Valued Poster

Encounters: 1

I'd love to celebrate Father's day again, but sadly, I'm the patriarch now.
pjorourke is offline   Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:53 PM   #8
Sydneyb
Pending Age Verification

User ID: 5481

you know; it wasn't so much about it BEING mothers day, but being alone on a family kind of holiday. So yeah. I'd say if your Mom is alone on any day that feels like a holiday (maybe even Fathers day, if he has passed that might even be a hard day for her).... if you can visit, take her out to eat, remind her of something she did for you as a kid and make her laugh....well, someday you won't be able to, so the idea of celebrating her now is better than the alternative.

The point I was making to Elizabeth was not so much specific to the holiday as pointing out that we all sacrifice one thing for another. For me, I have experienced a fair amount of isolation. Since so much of who we are needs to be hidden from people we meet, there is a sense of not being quite "normal" enough for big wide world. I mean, how do I go to dinner with a Lawyer (that I'm not seducing, which has been my schtick for a while now) and explain to her my life? Its not that easy and the alternative has been, increasingly, to spend time alone. Don't get me wrong: I know a lot of people - vollunteer and take board positions - but generally people know me on a superficial level and that is increasingly isolating.

But I'm just blue this week and that always intensifies feelings of being a lone ranger in the world. More yoga this week and I'll be a new woman....Mothers day will be a blip on the screen.
Sydneyb is offline   Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:57 PM   #9
atlcomedy
Valued Poster

SB - can I offer you a long distance hug?

I wasn't trying to pick on you. Your post just triggered some emotions in me...because I wasn't physically there for my Mom...and I missed her.

And as others have noted, I'm sure the most difficult ones will be the first years after my parents pass...life is too short
atlcomedy is offline   Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:13 PM   #10
Sydneyb
Pending Age Verification

User ID: 5481

Thanks for the hug.

I didn't think you were picking on me. It was a legitimate question - and a good one to consider (one of a sweet son, btw).
Sydneyb is offline   Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:20 PM   #11
Rudyard K
Lifetime Premium Access

Encounters: 2

My Mom died when I was a kid. My Dad?...a few years back.

Can't imagine not, at least, talking to either of them on their day if they were alive today. How hard is that?

Also can't imagine not hearing from my kids on Dad Day, or their Mom on Mom Day.

But everyone has to handle things as they see fit.
Rudyard K is offline   Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:22 PM   #12
Wwanderer
Gaining Momentum

Mother's Day is precisely as important as your mother says it is.

-Ww
Wwanderer is offline   Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 10:51 PM   #13
WTF
Lifetime Premium Access

My parents put up with a ton of shit from me while growing up. I can't think of any place I'd rather be than yanking their chains on any and all holidays and for no good reason in between celebrations.
WTF is offline   Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 05:26 AM   #14
petiteassman
Account Disabled

Encounters: 33
Default all i want for fathers day

is a lynette marie showcase
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynetteMarie View Post
From childhood, Mother's Day was a bigger deal than Father's Day as the school year was still in progress during Mother's Day. Up through Junior High,we would create a piece of art each year during the school day to bring home to Mom, whether a crayola drawing or a short story.

By the time Father's Day hit, we children were too busy playing in the pool to really acknowledge the day.

When I moved 2000 miles away from Mom and Dad, I would usually send flowers for Mom and gift cards for Dad on the holidays (are they technically holidays, by the way?). I would also call for a chat but that wasn't anything out of the norm as I spoke to them every other day. The gifts felt contrived and insincere.

Now that Mom and Dad live less than two hours away, I will spend a night or two at their house and pamper them with gourmet meals (Mom HATES cooking after all these years and I LOVE spending hours preparing meals lately) along with something else created from the heart like a painting (I love working with acrylics) or a poem. This is much more meaningful than the store bought cards and gifts and how we celebrate birthdays and Christmas as well. (In fact, Christmas celebrations generally no longer involve a gift exchange.)
petiteassman is offline   Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 08:00 AM   #15
guest012511
Account Disabled

User ID: 5255

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wwanderer View Post
Mother's Day is precisely as important as your mother says it is.

-Ww

Agree.

---
...makes it easier if we thought and behaved as everyday was "Mother's Day", "Father's Day", "Valentine's Day" - Whatever Day.

Doing so might remove some of the "guilt" associated with not participating in said event.

Cheers,
HD
guest012511 is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women