Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > Diamonds and Tuxedos
Diamonds and Tuxedos Glamour, elegance, and sophistication. That's what it's all about here in ECCIE's newest forum which caters to those with expensive tastes, lavish lifestyles, and an appetite for upscale entertainment.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 370
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 262
sharkman29 250
George Spelvin 244
Top Posters
DallasRain70390
biomed160338
Yssup Rider59858
gman4452872
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47443
pyramider46370
bambino40288
CryptKicker37064
Mokoa36485
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35189
Mojojo33117

Old 02-16-2011, 08:57 AM   #1
I B Hankering
Valued Poster

Encounters: 9
Default Defector 'Curveball' admits he lied about Iraqi WMD

A large part of the problem was:

Defector 'Curveball' admits he lied about Iraqi WMD

By Douglas Stanglin,
USA TODAY Feb 15, 2011

An Iraqi defector code-named "Curveball," whose tales convinced the Bush administration that Iraq had secret biological weapons has admitted for the first time that he lied about his story, The Guardian reports.

Rafid Ahmed Alwan al-Janabi tells The Guardian in an exclusive interview that he made up the stories of mobile bio-weapons trucks and clandestine factories in an effort to bring down the Saddam Hussein regime.

The defector, who had fled Iraq in 1995, tells the British newspaper that he watched in shock as his claims were used to justify the war.

"Maybe I was right, maybe I was not right," he tells the newspaper. "They gave me this chance. I had the chance to fabricate something to topple the regime. I and my sons are proud of that, and we are proud that we were the reason to give Iraq the margin of democracy."

He claims officials implied that his cooperation would make it easier for his Moroccan-born wife and child to join him in Germany.

"Curveball" initially told his tales to the German secret service, and the information wound up in Secretary of State Colin Powell's speech in 2003 to the United Nations stating the case against Saddam Hussein.

"Curveball" tells The Guardian that when he complained to his German handlers that they had violated an agreement not to pass his information to a third country, he was told not to speak and was placed in lockdown for about 90 days.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/ondeadline/post/2011/02/defector-curveball-admits-he-lied-about-iraqi-wmd/1
I B Hankering is offline   Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:48 AM   #2
Willen
Valued Poster

Encounters: 40

Well, that ship sailed (sunk?) long ago. Despite the inisistence of the likes of Sean Hannity, there were no WMDs and the grounds for thinknig there were were weak. Granted that things are always less clear at the time than they often appear in retrospect, and that erring on the side of security is arguably the right appraoch, stil we ought to be a lot surer than they were before we send our military into harm's way.
Willen is offline   Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:05 AM   #3
charlestudor2005
Valued Poster

Encounters: 8

@IBH

So, when was he lying? Then, or now?
charlestudor2005 is offline   Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:49 AM   #4
I B Hankering
Valued Poster

Encounters: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlestudor2005 View Post
@IBH

So, when was he lying? Then, or now?
Subsequent events, and his own admission, indicate that he was lying then.
I B Hankering is offline   Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:33 AM   #5
charlestudor2005
Valued Poster

It is amazing to me that our intelligence system didn't look at this more skeptically and find the lies. Maybe there was a part of the then-administration that wanted to believe a little too much.

I feel sad for all the families that lost their members of the military based on that rush to judgment. And their friends, too.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:35 AM   #6
Mazomaniac
Valued Poster

Quote:
I feel sad for all the families that lost their members of the military based on that rush to judgment. And their friends, too.
No need to feel bad about a couple hundred thousand Iraqis, of course.

Mazo.
Mazomaniac is offline   Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:33 PM   #7
charlestudor2005
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazomaniac View Post
No need to feel bad about a couple hundred thousand Iraqis, of course.

Mazo.
Touche. I do feel bad for all the victims of this policy.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:03 PM   #8
Mazomaniac
Valued Poster

Quote:
Touche. I do feel bad for all the victims of this policy.
OK, previous cheap shot withdrawn.

Cheers,
Mazo.
Mazomaniac is offline   Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:35 PM   #9
Sisyphus
Valued Poster

Location: Up a hill...down a hill... Up a hill...down a hill...

Quote:
It is amazing to me that our intelligence system didn't look at this more skeptically and find the lies. Maybe there was a part of the then-administration that wanted to believe a little too much.
Somebody didn't WANT to know. Other intelligence agencies were telling our intelligence agency & the administration at the time that Curveball was not credible.

We choose not to listen.
Sisyphus is offline   Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 05:04 PM   #10
Bebe Le Strange
Account Disabled

User ID: 66305

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisyphus View Post
Somebody didn't WANT to know. Other intelligence agencies were telling our intelligence agency & the administration at the time that Curveball was not credible.

We choose not to listen.

Maybe there was incentive for "not wanting to know", and going forward with the war over there?
Bebe Le Strange is offline   Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 05:29 PM   #11
Sisyphus
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bebe Le Strange View Post
Maybe there was incentive for "not wanting to know", and going forward with the war over there?
Perhaps, as that seems to be exactly what we did. If one believes that a righteous end justifies any means, it could be argued we simply took advantage of an opportunity that was presented to us.

I've never been comfortable with it, though.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:48 PM   #12
DFW5Traveler
Valued Poster

Encounters: 13

Recently, Ron Paul entered into the record what could amount to war crimes against George HW Bush. If the interpretation of a message sent through ambassador April Glaspie gave a green light to Saddam... I've known for a long time that Kuwait was cross-drilling into iraq, but even this wasn't being reported by the conservative media. If green lighting the invasion to Kuwait, led to US involvement, which led to UN sanctions, which led to lies about WMDs, well I'm sure you get the picture.
DFW5Traveler is offline   Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 06:28 PM   #13
charlestudor2005
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW5Traveler View Post
Recently, Ron Paul entered into the record what could amount to war crimes against George HW Bush. If the interpretation of a message sent through ambassador April Glaspie gave a green light to Saddam... I've known for a long time that Kuwait was cross-drilling into iraq, but even this wasn't being reported by the conservative media. If green lighting the invasion to Kuwait, led to US involvement, which led to UN sanctions, which led to lies about WMDs, well I'm sure you get the picture.
Just like that ole song, "The Windmills of Your Mind"...
Old 02-16-2011, 07:13 PM   #14
TexTushHog
Professional Tush Hog.

Encounters: 7

Actually, there were contemporaneous sources that warned the administration that Curveball's intelligence was extremely unreliable. This is not an exhaustive list of the warnings, but it does list some of them:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...401081_pf.html
TexTushHog is offline   Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:40 PM   #15
Sisyphus
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexTushHog View Post
Actually, there were contemporaneous sources that warned the administration that Curveball's intelligence was extremely unreliable. This is not an exhaustive list of the warnings, but it does list some of them:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...401081_pf.html
It's been a while since I read a lot of the material on this, but the article, basically, jives with the rest of what I read. I would take exception with the Post articles's characterization that the Germans "faithfully" passed on what Curveball told them.

The Germans didn't believe Curveball practically from the beginning. They passed it on more in the form of,

"Look, we have this guy. We don't think he's credible. We can't verify anything he's told us. But, if what he says is true, it's something you may wish to hear."

In terms of Curveball assertions making it into Powell's speech, there are a number of accounts on the whole, "It's in. It's out. It's back in", aspect to that. James Bamford's, Pretext for War, being the first that leaps to mind. The CIA kept telling Powell to take the assertion out...that they had no proof to support the assertion. Douglas Feith's office in the Pentagon (which allegedly was looking at all the intel with a "fresh eye") kept putting it back in. They had their hands on the presentation last...so it ultimately stayed in.

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women