Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > The Political Forum
The Political Forum Discuss anything related to politics in this forum. World politics, US Politics, State and Local.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 370
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 262
sharkman29 250
George Spelvin 244
Top Posters
DallasRain70383
biomed160296
Yssup Rider59847
gman4452865
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47429
pyramider46370
bambino40275
CryptKicker37064
Mokoa36485
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35149
Mojojo33117

Old 03-30-2023, 07:31 PM   #31
Tiny
Lifetime Premium Access

Encounters: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1blackman1 View Post
Can’t say honestly. Likely would still have done well (self confidence speaking) but clearly along some other path. Most definitely would have been excluded from the opportunities afforded me working at a blue blood law firm or the US Attorney’s Office or especially representing clients like Harrahs, Exxon, Dow or FedEx among others. Those would have been excluded altogether. So my path would have been different for me as a black man but would have existed for some white male who may have been less qualified simply based on race.

The landscape today is better than when I graduated. But we’re talking over a quarter century difference. There are more people like me in a position to push for opportunities for black applicants that would simply be ignore or moved to the bottom of the pile. That’s where the irritating whining of the Aces and Wacos and Charlies comes in. They see that as unfair to the white kid because he’s losing the inherent advantage that is afforded him for being white by the people doing the hiring.

As for continued barriers, it’s complicated. It’s like the whole, there can’t be racism because some blacks have been successful. And more have been successful this year than last. Or we had a black president so clearly there can’t be racism. But those are false equivalencies. It’s like saying there can’t be poverty because we have the most millionaires and billionaires. Both things can be true. We can have racists and still have blacks succeed. We have racism exist in the administration of justice and still have people treated fairly. That’s when we get into complex discussions of disparate effect. I guess I’ll say the tendrils of racist behaviors by a few can reach far, so it doesn’t take most whites to take racist actions for them to have a farther reaching effect than might be obvious on the surface. If you think racism stops at person A calling person B a racist epithet then sure racism in the US is less prevalent. If person A has any authority in hiring or writing tickets or making arrests, or screening calls, etc, their impact could more far reaching.

Even with me and several others be watchful of the hiring and recruiting partners my current firm has nearly 80 lawyers over 4 states and we’ve hired 3 black attorneys in the past 8 - 9 years out of around 20 associates, and maybe made offers to 2 more out of nearly 30 total offers over that time. And the funny thing about it is my partners, though mainly conservatives and republicans, aren’t racist, at least not intentionally. They just sit down in interviews and when they see someone that reminds them of younger versions of themselves or have similar backgrounds to themselves feel that kindred spirit and it affects their hiring practices (it differs from the old man in my experience who just didn’t really want a black in his firm).

institutional racism is likely misnamed. Maybe I can say it like this. Incongruent access to opportunities across the board may not be instituted intentionally but exist but because of the norm of hiring people you like for some subjective reason (he’d make a great golf buddy, he reminds me of a young me) rather than people who are most qualified for the work tends to promote the hiring of sameness. So as long as the people doing the hiring are mainly white that hiring will skew white (which in turn does hamper some opportunities).

We’ve come a long way in the legal field in my little over a quarter century but I wouldn’t call it a meritocracy or anything close. Check the roster for say Liskow Lewis (based outta Houston - nice blood blood firm). They have around 160 attorneys in Louisiana and Texas. They do the primary work for Exxon and Shell. They’ve been around since the 40s. See how many black partners they have and how many black associates. That might give you some idea of whether opportunities are now even without roadblocks.
Very good post.

I get a chuckle when some posters try to argue with Lusty Lad or Texas Contrarian about economics. Or for that matter when you argue with Lusty and me about taxes. (Just kidding. Kind of.) LL and TC most likely work with economics and finance every day, so VitaMan, WTF and adav8s28, for example, don't stand a chance when they step into the ring with them.

Similarly, no one on the board has the insider's view that you do with regard to racism and hiring.

Instead of looking at the Liskow Lewis web site, I pulled the ABA's 2021 Model Diversity Survey, here

https://www.americanbar.org/content/...nd-edition.pdf

Take a look at page 77 of the .pdf. You'll see that "African-American/Blacks" represented only about 1.7% of the equity partners among law firms with greater than 20 attorneys. This is for the entire USA. I'm sure the number is much higher in, say, Washington D.C., and probably lower in Louisiana, making your advancement all the more impressive.

Now look at page 83. The percentage of black associates in firms with over 20 attorneys is around 5.3%, much higher than the % of equity partners. So perhaps that's an omen of a brighter future.

A couple of anecdotes. In my first job as a professional, I had an Indian colleague. His name was something like Ramesh Bootwala, but he went by the name "Boots." Boots actually wore cowboy boots to work every day, along with a suit, which was pretty standard in that day and age where we were. Boots had come to the USA to study at either Texas A & M or the University of Texas. I don't remember which, but he was pretty bright, so probably UT. Boots had picked up a Texas accent. He liked to hunt and he liked golf. He ended up leaving after about a year to go to work for a renowned boutique consulting firm. It was kind of like a small McKinsey, that specialized in our industry.

Anyway, Boots, if he'd stuck around, would have been on the fast track. He had learned to play the game. The brass in our office, all old white men, would likely have picked Boots over me in an interview, for the reasons you explain above. It was easier for them to relate to someone with a drawl who liked to hunt, fish and play golf than to someone like me who liked to sport fuck and rock climb.

Second anecdote - my first job after graduate school was working for a company a lot like the two you mention, Exxon and Dow. (I'm coy about where I worked because I don't want to out myself on a hooker board. It would seriously affect my ability to pull poontang from Sunday School in the church where I go.)

Anyway, a commodity bust came along and so people had to get fired. And who did they fire? Well, a black, a Korean, a really dikey Lesbian, and one white guy. The workforce was overwhelmingly white and Hispanic. I don't think the people fired were necessarily less competent than those who stayed. They just looked different, and particularly in the case of the Korean and the lesbian, who insulted our boss of bosses, they didn't know how to play the game.
Tiny is offline   Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 08:37 PM   #32
1blackman1
Valued Poster

Encounters: 41

See we can all learn.
1blackman1 is online now   Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 10:57 PM   #33
Cheap Charlie
Account Disabled

Encounters: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1blackman1 View Post
See Tiny and I can agree on something. Actually it less rare than it appears I’m sure. I’ve never said anything even close to the US being steeped in racism and being irredeemable. In fact, I’m proof that someone can grow up poor, work hard, get a few degrees and make shit tons of money. I’m also not beyond pointing out that I had to deal with racist assholes on my way up (that’s not completely gone either).

Just a little anecdote from my personal story. When I graduated law school relatively high in my class, I wasn’t offered a single job with a major multi-name firm in Baton Rouge or New Orleans although I had classmates with worse grades get better offers. I did however get an offer from the US Attorney’s Office and the OGC for a federal agency. I took the former in the civil division and ended up still doing litigation for the OGC anyway. After 3 years when I went into the private world I was again denied jobs at the multi-named firms and took a job with a small shop representing some very large clients (including Harrah’s Horseshoe Allstate and FedEx) in complex litigation. I was eventually recruited by a younger partner at a New Orleans multi-name firm which at that time was about 80 years old and the eldest partners were the kids of the founders.

During my interview one of those guys, at that time in his late 70s early 80s, pointed out to me that as long as he’d been at the firm (since his 20s) they’d never even considered hiring a “colored” (his words during the interview). That I was the first one he’d interviewed. During hours of interviews he wasn’t the least bit concerned about my grades (which rightly so were irrelevant at that point), qualifications, trial experience or anything else, just that I wasn’t “one of them”. Now, this wasn’t the 70s 80s or 90s, this was in the 2000s. The younger partners brought me on anyway and I represented some great companies all over the country including Dow and Exxon.

Of course that was a long time ago (nearly 20 years). And just a note, I worked there for years and though I moved up, they didn’t hire another “colored” until my 5th year there and none after, even to this day (though they’ve since merged and subsumed by an even larger firm).

But for people that believe there’s no such thing as institutional racism, that is exactly the situation that’s generally referred to. That particular firm over decades excluded blacks from working there, which precluded some from opportunities while giving those opportunities possibly to less qualified white applicants. There’s a knock on effect to that because that affects partnership tracks and career advancement opportunities for those that were excluded.

Now, it’s not a woe as me because it all worked out for me and continues to do so. I’ve been the general counsel for several very large corporations and I’ve been a partner at a large firm for over a decade and I make a killing in salary and draw. So it’s all good. But it doesn’t work out for many sadly for no other reason than skin color.

But all in all, America is the greatest country on earth but for folks to really believe that racism is nearly or mostly non-existent is pretty stupid.
Cheap Charlie is offline   Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 11:18 PM   #34
VitaMan
Valued Poster

Encounters: 69

"People, I just want to say, can't we all get along? Can't we all get along?"

Rodney King
May 1 1992

Evidently not
LA riots - Korean businesses targeted

man vs. man
man vs. nature
man vs. God
VitaMan is offline   Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 01:54 AM   #35
dilbert firestorm
Premium Access

Encounters: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by eccieuser9500 View Post
I'm out of popcorn. Waco, hook it up.

Me too. But a fucking sense of humor helps with the pain of racism.

Staff Edit - Link Removed - Biomed1
DING!

Quote:
I'm going to have to go with a . . .

.http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/eating/popcorn.gif . . on this post.

[SNIP]

dilbert firestorm is offline   Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 07:29 AM   #36
eccieuser9500
Valued Poster

Encounters: 46

Reading is an escape from racism. Or should I say learning? Learning as an escape from it. Not reading as an escape from learning. (Fuck! I'm doing again.)

The mods don't know or care if you're black or white. Insults are insults. The art is in disguising them. Racial. Ethnic. Religious. Think insult comics for blatancy.

Better this one than the long-ass theatrical MTV video version with "KEVIN!!!" and "Norm!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilbert firestorm View Post
DING!

This post hits on a few things:

Reading

Good "long" reads. I'm not thrilled about the syntax used by 1b1, but it reminds when I tried to read a book from a British author. I just couldn't get into it. It was a hard read.

Writing

Brain droppings, as Carlin called them. Just humorous stories. Or funny takes on current events. I like writing. I like reading. I like words, not so much numbers. Simple ones; sure.

Racism

(I won't.)

Popcorn

Let's snack as we read and/or entertain ourselves with this thread. I was looking to "up your's" dilby. I couldn't find a popcorn factory GIF.

Next best thing:

Chicago's love affair with popcorn goes back 150 years, from Cracker Jack to Garrett Mix

Quote:
The Tribune couldn’t hide its enthusiasm, declaring in uppercase letters in the headline, “DO NOT TASTE IT. IF YOU DO YOU WILL PART WITH YOUR MONEY EASY.” The product the German-born immigrant created? Cracker Jack.

Chicagoans apparently couldn’t get enough. The Tribune quotes a “jobber” who said it was almost too easy to sell: “Cracker Jack reminds me of fishing. Offering Cracker Jack for sale is like baiting a hook. When the fish bite they’re caught. When people bite Cracker Jack they, too, are caught.”

In 1908, Cracker Jack was mentioned in “Take Me Out to the Ball Game” by Jack Norworth and Albert Von Tilzer, ensuring millions would associate the snack with the national pastime.

Okay, so I did. You see? Not exactly hiding it with the highlights, but you get the point.

eccieuser9500 is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women