Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > A Question of Legality
A Question of Legality Post your legal questions here (general, nothing of a personal nature)

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 373
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 262
sharkman29 250
George Spelvin 246
Top Posters
DallasRain70404
biomed160489
Yssup Rider59902
gman4452916
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47511
pyramider46370
bambino40307
CryptKicker37079
Mokoa36485
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35317
Mojojo33117

Old 01-03-2014, 07:45 PM   #1
krackins
Registered Member

Encounters: 6
Question how to find the right lawyer

The sticky threads in here have a lot of useful tips. One of them was you should know a lawyer now in case you need one later.

If a person travels all the time for work, would there be much use in having a lawyer from home? More specifically, if they had legal issues while they were traveling, would the home lawyer be much use?

Any tips for finding a lawyer, things that you should ask them about?

I read thru a lot of the pages here but I didn't see much advice about that. I had to join when I was looking at a post from ShysterJon. It wouldn't let me see pics of his sugar baby until I joined. Seems like he should get some credit or something for getting new people to join up here!
krackins is offline   Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:39 PM   #2
CS123
Valued Poster

I thought at one time Shyster Jon was going to write an article on how to find the right lawyer. It would be interesting to see some insight from those in the legal profession with their opinions on it.
I would bet that if you travel you have to have a lawyer that can practice in the State you are in trouble in. If that is the case it becomes very important if there is a vast difference in lawyers that practice in the same area of the law. My guess is there is a difference just like in every other profession but how you sort them out is beyond me.
CS123 is offline   Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:06 PM   #3
DigitalBobby
Registered Member

Encounters: 4

You absolutely want a different lawyer for a different state. Unless you have somebody with a national reputation, which is rare or even non-existent, the more important thing is to hire one that has a good local reputation and relationships with the local prosecutors and judges. Now, how to pick one is difficult, and in my opinion it mostly involves asking legal insiders. It's like trying to pick a fantasy football quarterback when the scores and statistics are either secret, unrecorded, or immeasurable. Word gets around when somebody is routinely screwing his clients out of money or botching cases, though.
DigitalBobby is offline   Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:55 PM   #4
Guest062114-5
Account Disabled

User ID: 118368

Unless you plan on going on a multi-state crime spree, you probably just want to have one lawyer in your home state. You can meet with her, tell her your concerns and discuss where you travel. Most lawyers are not licensed to practice in multiple states (usually one, sometimes a handful, because licensing is state to state).

A good way to pick an attorney for this purpose is to ask around to friends. If you know any lawyers, ask them first. Next, you can ask anyone you know has been in trouble. Another way is to go to the criminal courthouse in the morning and observe to see whose style you like. Then, watch and approach them when they are available. You can also call your local bar association and ask for a referral. Then interview a few and find one you like and trust.

You can have a contingency plan for any state you visit. She can keep a list of lawyers she knows in other areas. If you get in trouble anywhere it is this lawyer you want to call. She can find a bail bondsman to get you released and/or contact a local attorney. You can discuss what type of retainer she requires for this.

Most attorneys will give you some rather sound advice on how to avoid being arrested...don't drink and drive, don't get in bar fights, don't discuss money and sex, don't rob banks or use or possess drugs. That said, things happen, sometimes even when you're trying to do the right thing.

You should also memorize your attorney's landline number, cell number and attempt to find out how to contact her if you need to make a collect call from jail. You can't usually call a cell collect.

In all honesty, it's more useful to know a bail bondsman in the cities to which you travel. If you get into trouble, you can find a lawyer after the fact.

Now...stay out of trouble!
Guest062114-5 is offline   Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:57 AM   #5
jframe2
Valued Poster

try the local bar association as well. Some have a referral list, some do not.
jframe2 is offline   Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 04:42 PM   #6
Guest062114-5
Account Disabled

I'm wondering if anyone has a personal story of how they found a good attorney? I know a bunch, so it hasn't been an issue. I was thinking, when a friend asks me if I know an attorney in another city and I don't know one personally, I usually post to my attorney friends on Facebook to get a referral for the friend who asked.

That works for me, but mainly because I have so many attorney friends all over. But it does follow my advice that a personal referral is usually best.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:15 PM   #7
CS123
Valued Poster

I am sure if you ask an attorney how to stay out of trouble when hiring a hooker the advice will be not to hire one and you won't have any problems!
CS123 is offline   Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 02:50 PM   #8
Guest062114-5
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by CS123 View Post
I am sure if you ask an attorney how to stay out of trouble when hiring a hooker the advice will be not to hire one and you won't have any problems!
You're almost quoting me verbatim. But then, if I were your attorney, I'd explain that having sex isn't the illegal part, but rather the solicitation and quid pro quo. I'd then give some hypothetical situations that would minimize he risk of arrest and/or conviction.

I'd also,explain what to do if of were arrested and the faster way to get out of jail.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:21 PM   #9
Unique_Carpenter
Off clock with a Cowgirl

Encounters: 89

Mynx,
If I was drag racing up by North Lake Houston Pkwy and knocked over a light pole,
I'd wanna quess:
STFU and have bail $ handy?
If correct, what do I win?
Unique_Carpenter is offline   Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 03:26 PM   #10
Guest062114-5
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unique_Carpenter View Post
Mynx,
If I was drag racing up by North Lake Houston Pkwy and knocked over a light pole,
I'd wanna quess:
STFU and have bail $ handy?
If correct, what do I win?
Actually, once you're in jail...it doesn't matter if you have a pocket full of cash. What you need is to have several phone numbers memorized that will accept collect calls, or the number of a bail bondsman. But yes...STFU is rule number 1.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:51 PM   #11
Unique_Carpenter
Off clock with a Cowgirl

Encounters: 89

Hmm, but if cash is on hand, do you actually need a bondsman for smaller bail amounts in Texas?
Unique_Carpenter is offline   Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 04:05 PM   #12
Guest062114-5
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unique_Carpenter View Post
Hmm, but if cash is on hand, do you actually need a bondsman for smaller bail amounts in Texas?
They take your cash when you're booked and you don't get it back until you're bonded out. It might take two days to get out without a bondsman or someone posting bond. At least that's been my experience in Harris County and a few other places.

My friend had $300 on her but they wouldn't let her pay her $29 bond. She didn't know a bondsman, so she pled no contest in a video arraignment, was released time served, then appealed and the charge was later dropped in court.
Old 01-05-2014, 04:22 PM   #13
universalenergy
Account Disabled

Encounters: 12

This what I have done.
1.Check the Law Bar website in your state and look for Board Certified in the area of law you
need help with and check for any infractions.
2. Check out references with sites like Martin Dale and Hubbell, AVVO etc.
3. Narrow down to your best choices and make an appointment, have a list of questions prepared
to take for the interview. Make sure there is not a conflict of interest. For example they don't also
get work from the courts or only work for clients.
4. Have a good relationship with your attorney is as important as a marriage because you will
have to trust and talk about items honestly that may not be comfortable with anybody else.
universalenergy is offline   Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 04:34 PM   #14
Guest062114-5
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by universalenergy View Post
This what I have done.
1.Check the Law Bar website in your state and look for Board Certified in the area of law you
need help with and check for any infractions.
2. Check out references with sites like Martin Dale and Hubbell, AVVO etc.
3. Narrow down to your best choices and make an appointment, have a list of questions prepared
to take for the interview. Make sure there is not a conflict of interest. For example they don't also
get work from the courts or only work for clients.
4. Have a good relationship with your attorney is as important as a marriage because you will
have to trust and talk about items honestly that may not be comfortable with anybody else.
Many criminal attorneys in Harris County take court appointments. Not all, and many times the good ones do infrequently, but they do. At least every single one I know has...including being appointed as a special prosecutor.

That's not a conflict of interest. A conflict if interest is a lawyer defending you in an assault charge against your best friend when he previously defended your best friend. Or when a lawyer depends two codefendants that might want to testify against each other. Or some other assorted situations.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:34 PM   #15
CS123
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMynx69 View Post
You're almost quoting me verbatim. But then, if I were your attorney, I'd explain that having sex isn't the illegal part, but rather the solicitation and quid pro quo. I'd then give some hypothetical situations that would minimize he risk of arrest and/or conviction.

I'd also,explain what to do if of were arrested and the faster way to get out of jail.
What I am saying is the conversation you described wouldn't happen with any attorney I know or have done business with. They would not tell me how to minimize the risk but eliminate the risk by eliminating the behavior instead. Small towns are different than large cities or at least where I live they are. I have been turned down by local attorneys for actions I wanted to pursue because it may piss off other clients of the firm and cause them to loose business. I understand their point, guess the client may be wrong for taking that attitude but they still pay the bill and the larger the bills they pay the more concern they have with not offending them. I would need to know how to find the attorney like you instead of the ones I know!
CS123 is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women