Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > Kansas and Missouri > Kansas City Metro > The Sandbox
The Sandbox The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here. If it's NOT hobby-related, then you're in the right place!

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 370
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 262
sharkman29 250
George Spelvin 244
Top Posters
DallasRain70380
biomed160286
Yssup Rider59844
gman4452863
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47425
pyramider46370
bambino40274
CryptKicker37064
Mokoa36485
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35144
Mojojo33117

Old 07-23-2017, 06:35 PM   #1
dumars
Valued Poster

Encounters: 8
Talking Lesson Learned

Had a power outage some 4 or so years ago. Got me to thinking about the next time when/if it happens again. Dropped $500 or so in some survival essentials:

2 cases of MREs.
1 battery backup
1 solar charger
4 "100 hour candles"
Other assorted sundry items.

My son and daughter and older grand kids rolled their eyes when I told them what I had done.

Couple months ago had another outage. My phone was almost drained . . . then hark! I have a backup battery. Found it, had been in storage for 3 years and it STILL had enough charge to top off the phone! Cha Ching! No power, so no lights, HARK, I have candles! Whipped out two of the 100 hour candles, we have light! Cha Ching! Morning came, sunlight, whipped out the solar charger, plugged it into the backup battery and we're charging! Cha Ching! That night, charged up the phone again! Cha Ching!! Second day, food in frig pretty much spoiled, HARK we have MREs, Cha Ching! Power was restored about 48 hours after it cut out.

This past weekend, had another outage, lasted 'bout 12 hours but my phone was charged and I had light! Cha Ching!

Moral of the story, kids ain't rolling their eyes at the ol' man any more! Cha Ching!!!!! Love it when a plan comes together!!!
dumars is offline   Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 08:21 PM   #2
timmystool
Valued Poster

Encounters: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumars View Post
Had a power outage some 4 or so years ago. Got me to thinking about the next time when/if it happens again. Dropped $500 or so in some survival essentials:

2 cases of MREs.
1 battery backup
1 solar charger
4 "100 hour candles"
Other assorted sundry items.
!!
nice work

what kind of solar charger?
do you know a way to power your whole house via generator? opr do I have to call someone for that?
solar powerd iphone chargers are the best
timmystool is offline   Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 10:06 PM   #3
dumars
Valued Poster

Don't have a brand name stamped on the charger. I got the fold away type. I would recommend the highest output. Pays in the end. I would not use the charger to charge the phone. Reason is simple. You're off WiFi, phones use more power on cell, meaning you'll have the phone plugged in all day and the charge won't last that long. Charging the battery then charging the phone from the battery at night keeps you running. Charge the phone 1st if it's dead but as an option I'd go with the battery first!

The battery I got is a "Limefuel". Again, I'd recommend the highest storage and max output dependent on the USB ports. My battery is a little smaller than my iPhone but 3 or so times thicker. One mistake I made on the battery is to make sure the outputs are the same. Should be 2.1A(mps). A fully charged battery should charge your phone several times, depending on the capacity of the battery of course. Thus my recommendation above. Go for the max and still be portable!! Again, pays dividends when it counts.

Believe it or not I spent a little time early this afternoon looking up emergency generators. Most (on Amazon), 10,000 +/- output, gas are $800 - $1200. That should run the whole house while rationing what you're using. Prices take off with Generac and Honda! $2K - $3K. No shit!

You cannot run the whole house on a portable solar system and they're twice as much as the gas. You'll have to ration the power like run refrigerator a couple hours, turn off a couple hours, turn back on, etc. Advisable to do the same with the gas too but don't have to if you got enough generator. You're basically spending $1k more for the quiet. That same $1k will buy an awful lot of gas! Just piss off the neighbors! Your microwave works, theirs don't and your beer is cold!

I'm sure I forgot something but you can figure it out! If not, PM or reply, we'll figure it out.
Old 07-24-2017, 01:54 PM   #4
dumars
Valued Poster

Cool

One thing I did forget that could be important.

Get an extra long USB cable! Reason is your battery/phone will be charging in the sun. If it's hot, it's going to cook in the heat. The extra long cable will let you put the charger in the sun and the device(s) in the shade.

That's it!
Old 07-24-2017, 10:59 PM   #5
AlbusMilitis
Valued Poster

Encounters: 16

Dumb question - why not just charge the phone with your car?

I've got a generator...pros: in the aftermath of an ice storm, you won't be looking for the sun on a cloudy day. Cons: Loud (unless you pony up $2k for the Honda). Also, be prepared to have around 20 gallons of gas can available.

Not an option for me, but there are natural gas generators that save you the effort of hauling gas.

Btw, the portable generators will come with some octopus of cable that you are supposed to plug appliances into. Life is much simpler if you modify it to power the house's electrical panel...usually (per what you agree to in the fine print when you sign up for power) this is done by an electrician, who adds a small box and switch near the main panel. However, if you know what you are doing, you can back feed the panel through the dryer outlet.

One more dumb question...why mre's? They're expensive and bland. Why not plain ole canned food?
AlbusMilitis is offline   Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 02:02 AM   #6
timmystool
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbusMilitis View Post
One more dumb question...why mre's? They're expensive and bland. Why not plain ole canned food?
or ENSURE? etc?

dried food.....

but the botttom line with food, you arnt gonna die for a LONG time., if you had NO food, you need water, not food.....
Old 07-25-2017, 04:26 AM   #7
ghostinmachine
Valued Poster

Encounters: 44

Quick observation: In an emergency, you have to decide if you stay put (shelter in place) or bug out.

Canned goods are great if you are staying put. MREs and camping food are light and easier to transport.
ghostinmachine is offline   Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 06:16 AM   #8
super_delfin00
Valued Poster

Or just live in a neighborhood with buried lines, and minimize the chance of outages.
super_delfin00 is offline   Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 11:39 AM   #9
AlbusMilitis
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by super_delfin00 View Post
Or just live in a neighborhood with buried lines, and minimize the chance of outages.

Some of us enjoy living 'away from it all'.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:41 AM   #10
timmystool
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostinmachine View Post
Quick observation: In an emergency, you have to decide if you stay put (shelter in place) or bug out.

Canned goods are great if you are staying put. MREs and camping food are light and easier to transport.
yeah and go well with zombie meat

this is a benefit to living in the midwest, zombies won't get us here!
Old 07-25-2017, 03:25 PM   #11
dumars
Valued Poster

Lightbulb

Quote:
Dumb question - why not just charge the phone with your car?

I've got a generator...pros: in the aftermath of an ice storm, you won't be looking for the sun on a cloudy day. Cons: Loud (unless you pony up $2k for the Honda). Also, be prepared to have around 20 gallons of gas can available.

Not an option for me, but there are natural gas generators that save you the effort of hauling gas.

Btw, the portable generators will come with some octopus of cable that you are supposed to plug appliances into. Life is much simpler if you modify it to power the house's electrical panel...usually (per what you agree to in the fine print when you sign up for power) this is done by an electrician, who adds a small box and switch near the main panel. However, if you know what you are doing, you can back feed the panel through the dryer outlet.

Charging the phone by car is an option and I've done it. Do you really want to idle your car for 5+ hours? I'd rather not!

Natural gas generators are high on my list after I buy a home. Otherwise, have to deal with gas/propane/kerosene.

Why MREs? Convenience. Bland? Maybe but Chef boy R Dee ain't that tasty either! For me I have very little food in cans. I also have a supply of Mountain House breakfasts. MRE meals don't lend themselves to what my brain accepts as "breakfast". I also have a supply of Bridgeford "Sandwiches". Basically overgrown pop tarts. Again, I've got flavors that my brain accepts as "breakfast". I've taste tested other brands of camping food. I'll stick with MREs. P.S. One thing I have learned is NEVER equate "serving" as meaning equal to a meal. If you make that mistake, you're gonna starve.

I'm not doing any of this to prep for nuclear holocaust or the zombie apocalypse. Whether it's a transformer that blows up in the neighborhood from heat or a Cat 5 tornado rolls through I just want to keep myself from becoming a refugee thereby relying on others. Think of the Oklahoma tornadoes and the earthquake in Japan. Power outages are good for training.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:03 PM   #12
AlbusMilitis
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumars View Post
Charging the phone by car is an option and I've done it. Do you really want to idle your car for 5+ hours? I'd rather not!
It won't kill a car battery to charge a phone or two...or 25. No need to run the car.
Old 07-26-2017, 05:03 PM   #13
dumars
Valued Poster

Quote:
It won't kill a car battery to charge a phone or two...or 25. No need to run the car.
Hey, run a test let us know how long it takes to kill the battery! 'Specially in the winter!! Bet'cha ain't as long as you think! First quote in my signature applies!! My battery died years ago with the door cracked open! My overhead lights are off sometimes, as they were then, so didn't notice. I learn from my fuckups!!!!
Old 07-26-2017, 08:20 PM   #14
AlbusMilitis
Valued Poster

Have you ever listened to the radio with the engine off? A 6 amp car radio played for a half hour is equivalent to 3 hours charging a 1 amp phone. I commonly play the radio for an entire Chiefs game, including pregame and post game shows.

Do whatever you want...but trust me, a freaking car battery can charge a cell phone...and if you're really worried about it, a 90 amp alternator has around 40 amps to spare with the lights and everything turned off...so running the car 4-5 minutes will replenish the 3 amp hours the phone took. No need to run it for hours.
Old 07-27-2017, 02:33 PM   #15
dumars
Valued Poster

Cool

Quote:
Have you ever listened to the radio with the engine off?
Yup and killed the battery a few times in my life!!!

Quote:
Do whatever you want..
Thanks, I will! You run with theory and assumptions, I run with experience! Been there, done that! Back up plan to the backup plan. Sleep mucho more better when all bases are covered!

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women