Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > Diamonds and Tuxedos
Diamonds and Tuxedos Glamour, elegance, and sophistication. That's what it's all about here in ECCIE's newest forum which caters to those with expensive tastes, lavish lifestyles, and an appetite for upscale entertainment.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 370
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 262
sharkman29 250
George Spelvin 244
Top Posters
DallasRain70391
biomed160347
Yssup Rider59862
gman4452876
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47444
pyramider46370
bambino40288
CryptKicker37065
Mokoa36485
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35201
Mojojo33117

Old 01-13-2011, 01:51 PM   #1
Guest053011
Account Disabled

User ID: 4424
Default For NASA Junkies: One Million Galaxies (a map of the local Universe)

I was astounded when I ran across this on the NASA website:

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ima...xies_2mass.jpg

Are the nearest galaxies distributed randomly? A plot of over one million of the brightest "extended sources" detected by the Two Micron All Sky Survey (2MASS) shows that they are not. The vast majority of these infrared extended sources are galaxies. Visible above is an incredible tapestry of structure that provides limits on how the universe formed and evolved. Many galaxies are gravitationally bound together to form clusters, which themselves are loosely bound into superclusters, which in turn are sometimes seen to align over even larger scale structures. In contrast, very bright stars inside our own Milky Way Galaxy cause the vertical blue sash.
Guest053011 is offline   Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 02:33 PM   #2
I B Hankering
Valued Poster

Encounters: 9
Default Awesome.

Awesome! Astronomy used to be one of my hobbies.
(This picture is "doctored": see original at http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ima...xies_2mass.jpg)
I B Hankering is offline   Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 03:14 PM   #3
Iaintliein
Valued Poster

Encounters: 2

It makes me think about a different twist on the term "special relativity". This should remind us all how truly insignificantly small we are, which makes the problems we have even smaller, which, in turn, makes the problems others have with us so small as to be totally irrelevant. . . in a relative way, of course.
Iaintliein is offline   Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 03:24 PM   #4
guest010613
Account Disabled

Encounters: 20
Cool Perspective

Lauren, as usual you bring something fascinating to the community. Growing up, my father was intimately involved in NASA and many other facets of space research, so I became addicted to all things "Space". To see how those early days of the great unknown have evolved so quickly to the present, where such amazing photos and information are readily available on our home desk (or lap) is almost unfathomable. Thanks for sharing a little outward perspective which led to some very deep inner perspective.

Still, it reminds me most of the final scene in Men In Black..... I am SUCH a movie junkie.

Thanks, gorgeous!
guest010613 is offline   Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:02 PM   #5
I B Hankering
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaintliein View Post
It makes me think about a different twist on the term "special relativity". This should remind us all how truly insignificantly small we are, which makes the problems we have even smaller, which, in turn, makes the problems others have with us so small as to be totally irrelevant. . . in a relative way, of course.
“Narrator: There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

“There is another theory which states that this has already happened.”
-- Douglas Adams's The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy

A Man Said to the Universe
A man said to the universe:
"Sir I exist!"
"However," replied the universe,
"The fact has not created in me
A sense of obligation."
-- Stephen Crane
Old 01-13-2011, 04:05 PM   #6
Texas Contrarian
Lifetime Premium Access

Very cool!

Like many of the rest of you, I've been fascinated by astronomy since childhood.
Texas Contrarian is online now   Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:43 PM   #7
guest010313
Account Disabled

User ID: 48112
My ECCIE Reviews

My greatest wish for my children is that they will get to go to space. I want to go explore out there so very badly
guest010313 is offline   Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:46 PM   #8
Mazomaniac
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyGirl View Post
My greatest wish for my children is that they will get to go to space. I want to go explore out there so very badly
I'm ready to send mine into orbit.

Cheers,
Mazo.
Mazomaniac is offline   Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 06:04 PM   #9
Guest053011
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by topguntex View Post
Lauren, as usual you bring something fascinating to the community. Growing up, my father was intimately involved in NASA and many other facets of space research, so I became addicted to all things "Space". To see how those early days of the great unknown have evolved so quickly to the present, where such amazing photos and information are readily available on our home desk (or lap) is almost unfathomable. Thanks for sharing a little outward perspective which led to some very deep inner perspective.

Still, it reminds me most of the final scene in Men In Black..... I am SUCH a movie junkie.

Thanks, gorgeous!

I'm flattered that you enjoy my being a Dork

I have long been addicted to all things Space, born out of my general childlike sense of wonderment. In part it also comes from a spiritual place, as I believe that at it's core spirituality and science should not at all clash, but feed each other.

My fascination with the universe is born out of the complexity of reality: Relativity playing a huge role in that, the nature of space and time being so ever changing and organic, when at our own tiny level it seems so rigid and distinct. String theory absolutely absorbs me with fascination.

I also believe that "God" is the soul of the universe, much like Einstein I do not believe in a personal God, but that we can glimpse this grand network of elegance through both the tiniest details in science, and the grandest details in science. If life can evolve from inanimate objects over millions of years, and souls (intelligence, creativity and emotion) can develop out of an organic form, then my personal faith holds close the possibility that a soul evolved out of the universe as a whole. I guess my theory is a bit backward: God didn't give birth to the universe, the universe gave birth to God.

Seeing this picture was like seeing a snap shot of a piece of God. I love it, I wish I could get a huge poster of it made and framed.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:14 AM   #10
I B Hankering
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren Summerhill View Post
Seeing this picture was like seeing a snap shot of a piece of God. I love it, I wish I could get a huge poster of it made and framed.

Go to the site below.

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/image/1012/milliongalaxies_2mass_big.jpg

It provides a larger image of the same picture.

Download the image to you computer. If you know someone who has Photoshop, you can format the image at 150 pixels per inch resolution, and this will give you a picture that is about 31 inches wide and 15.5 inches in height. If you increase the resolution to 200 pixels per inch, the image size will be 23 inches wide by 11.5 in height. Kinkos or another copy service can print the first poster on high quality printer paper; whereas, Walmart can print the second, smaller poster on photo paper. Good luck.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:53 AM   #11
Guest053011
Account Disabled

Thanks!

I actually prefer 300 dpi for printing purposes. I'll test it at 200 and 300.

Actually the best way to go is have a professional printer at home, then have a professional framer matt mount it and frame it. Yay, I'm so excited to get this one done
Old 01-14-2011, 10:55 AM   #12
Guest053011
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by I B Hankering View Post
“Narrator: There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

“There is another theory which states that this has already happened.”
-- Douglas Adams's The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy

A Man Said to the Universe
A man said to the universe:
"Sir I exist!"
"However," replied the universe,
"The fact has not created in me
A sense of obligation."
-- Stephen Crane
We must not forget that the Answer to life the universe and everything is 41. Now we need only figure out the Question.

I absolutely adore anyone that quotes Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy!
Old 01-14-2011, 11:06 AM   #13
discreetgent
Valued Poster

Location: Even with a gorgeous avatar: Happiness is ephemeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren Summerhill View Post
I absolutely adore anyone that quotes Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy!
You are a lucky man, IB.
discreetgent is offline   Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:11 AM   #14
pjorourke
Valued Poster

Encounters: 1

Unrelated question Lauren. Was that avatar picture photoshoped or did you actually paint your boobs purple. If so, how long did it take to get the paint off?
pjorourke is offline   Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:38 AM   #15
discreetgent
Valued Poster

Location: Even with a gorgeous avatar: Happiness is ephemeral

It looks like it was painted on.
discreetgent is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women