Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > Kansas and Missouri > Kansas City Metro > The Sandbox
The Sandbox The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here. If it's NOT hobby-related, then you're in the right place!

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 370
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 262
sharkman29 250
George Spelvin 244
Top Posters
DallasRain70376
biomed160259
Yssup Rider59839
gman4452859
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47421
pyramider46370
bambino40273
CryptKicker37062
Mokoa36482
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35127
Mojojo33117

Old 08-19-2017, 08:06 PM   #31
AlbusMilitis
Valued Poster

Encounters: 16

"That's why bottled water is big business."

Hype, fear, misguided 'experts', effective advertising, and flat out ignorance are why bottled water is big business. Do what you want, but I will state again: please know what the fuck you are talking about.

Topeka, in particular, had a 'red water problem' around 15-20 years agom...rust from iron pipes. I was one of many who worked on that. To my knowledge (and trust me I would know) Topeka does not have an extensive network of galvanized pipe. The brown minerals you see actually come from Kansas Limestone, which is classified as a soft rock. I would be willing to wager that your boil experiment happened in a time of partial drought...and the concentration of lime went up higher than normal...and the guys at the plant did not want to 'over treat' for lime, because that could be actually dangerous...and they 'put up' with the high lime concentrations and the hard water that resulted...because although some people complained about aesthetics, it was definitely safe.

Btw, there are many liquids (juices for example) that must be shaken before drinking. Do you think that will kill you too?
AlbusMilitis is offline   Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 11:25 PM   #32
bigryan2222
Premium Access

Encounters: 23

The calcium carbonate and magnesium carbonate come from limestone or chalk in the ground and is absolutely naturally occurring. Oddly enough hard water forms scales on the inside of the pipes and it is actually wanted because it prevents galvanized steel from corroding. The corrosion with soft water ruins the pipes faster than pipes will with the scales from the naturally occurring calcium which will eventually cause the pipe to slowly get clogged.

I respect your choice to filter water, but your reasons are flawed and you are doing people a disservice if you use your "evidence" to talk others into doing the same. Science says you are wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumars View Post
Those white and brown (Topeka) substances are particulates picked up along the way in the pipes carrying our water. It is present in every plumbing system in the civilized world and meets a minimum level of "safety". Accepting this "safety" level is a personal preference. That's why bottled water is big business. Think Nestle, CocaCola, Pepsi. Europeans have been drinking bottled water for more than a hundred years. Think Evian. Simply put, more and more people just aren't accepting this level of "safety" as valid.

This calcium does NOT occur naturally. It is a result of "bleeding" from man made galvanized pipes!!!** Which is STILL used in some water mains. Again, acceptance of it's "safety" is a personal choice! In my world, I find it hard to accept how foreign, man made, particulates/contaminates can be entirely "safe". Does that "acceptable level" really mean anything? I can tell you a story from 30+ years ago that would take up another two paragraphs. I'm sure you don't want to hear it! The water in Detroit was initially hailed as "safe" if you'll recall. It took a couple hundred people carrying 2 litre bottles of colored "safe" water to convince somebody it wasn't so "safe" after all. Shit rolled down hill from there.

Ever look inside your toilet tank and see brown crud on the bottom? That's years of accumulated mater the water company is telling us is "safe". Think about that. If you have a gas water heater you might hear a rumble after a couple of years. That rumble is accumulated sediment ("safe" particulates) reacting to heat from the heating element. Don't have that problem with electric 'cause of the position of the heating elements but the sediment is still there.

That's enough, WHEW!!!

**I took a "Maintenance" course very long ago. One of the subjects was plumbing! Covered water plant to faucet.
bigryan2222 is offline   Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 02:10 AM   #33
timmystool
Valued Poster

Encounters: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumars View Post

Yes, we've all been drinking it for our whole lives but once you SEE what you're drinking it's "OH SHIT!". I've been filtering my water too for 10+ years. Filtering, I discovered, takes out about half of that stuff you don't want in there, depending on the brand and type of filter. For the longest time I thought filtered water was as good as bottled water . . . it ain't as I found out with the same 6th grade science experiment.
FILtered water is a joke
still has fluride in it, right? *yes it does
I have a RO machine and get RO water for .25/gallon at the local shoppe
tastes better from my glass bottles($20/amazon) and I keep 7 in my garage,, takes a bout 2 weeks to have to empty them
timmystool is offline   Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 08:43 PM   #34
dumars
Valued Poster

Encounters: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbusMilitis View Post
I would be willing to wager that your boil experiment happened in a time of partial drought...and the concentration of lime went up higher than normal...
You lost your bet! I collected the sample from a neighborhood of $¼M - $½M homes about 2 months ago! Was there a drought then? Off of Lincolnshire, if you wanna look it up!! I think the whole neighborhood is about 10 years old. The OP sample was taken from a 40+ year old home on Goddard.

Jesus H. Christ!

Don't matter where it comes from, limestone cave or back yard, it should not be in anybody's drinking water. It is NOT filtered out, it is not rendered "safe" . . . at least to the taste and eye! If you feel warm and fuzzy with some minimum standard and/or certification that's on you! I smoke and there's nothing I can do about my future in that regard but it ain't to late to keep other shit going into my body. Don't care if somebody else deems it "safe". I'm a big boy, I got kids who have grown kids. I make my own decision based on what I know and what I see. And what I see is not what I want passing through mine or my family's body(ies). At least not in the quantities I see. Those samples I posted are from 16 oz of water, 2 CUPS! That's it! Not 2 gallons, TWO CUPS.

Anything else you want to argue about just for the sake of arguing? You seem to be the type that just needs to argue! You'll really cop a bitch on how I shower, it ain't normal either and has nothing to do with rain water.

dumars is offline   Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 10:51 PM   #35
bigryan2222
Premium Access

Encounters: 23

Dumars, the Jenny McCarthy of tap water. Ignoring scientific facts about water for 10+ years ��
bigryan2222 is offline   Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 07:17 PM   #36
AlbusMilitis
Valued Poster

Encounters: 16

Lincolnshire, huh?

Well, at risk of continuing to argue about water quality with somebody who drinks out of tubs he leaves in the driveway, here I go:

Topeka has three pressure zones, the west one being highest, east one lowest. The plant uses pumps to transmit the water to the towers..there are a few cross connections which allow the lower pressure zones take water from the higher, but never the other way around. And you are correct about one thing: everything in the west pressure zone is fucking new...as in lined ductile iron transmission mains, pvc distribution mains, and hdpe service lines. Not a galvanized pipe (or any pipe subject to corrosion) for miles and miles.

You have a very mistaken notion of what drinking water is.

Btw, it doesn't matter whether or not there where drought on Lincolnshire - that's not where the fucking water comes from...you do know that right? It comes from the river...and if you look at the drought map, the basin is still in a fucking drought:

http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/Home/S...onitor.aspx?KS

Bigryan nailed it.

Just don't start blaming the contrails.
AlbusMilitis is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women