Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > Diamonds and Tuxedos
Diamonds and Tuxedos Glamour, elegance, and sophistication. That's what it's all about here in ECCIE's newest forum which caters to those with expensive tastes, lavish lifestyles, and an appetite for upscale entertainment.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 370
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 261
sharkman29 250
George Spelvin 244
Top Posters
DallasRain70372
biomed160247
Yssup Rider59828
gman4452859
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47408
pyramider46370
bambino40270
CryptKicker37060
Mokoa36482
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35112
Mojojo33117

Old 01-12-2010, 04:58 PM   #31
discreetgent
Valued Poster

Location: Even with a gorgeous avatar: Happiness is ephemeral

Hey Eve, nice to see you.
discreetgent is offline   Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 05:15 PM   #32
nycflyer
Gaining Momentum

Location: Sitting across from you at the meeting. Noticing you, but you wouldn't know it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansley View Post
For the last couple of months I have had lots of thoughts and questions about leaving this business. For now I will stick to this one question.

To a potential employer, how do I account for the last few years that I haven't been working a real job?
It's good that you're planning on this now as it will allow you to enter the "real world" on terms if/when you dictate. Better news is that due to the state of the economy for the last 18 months, there are many people who are seeking to start completely new careers.

As advice, I would recommend you do not state that you have been out of the work force due to a relationship, etc., it may send a message (although I don't necessarily agree with the premise) that you may not be up to speed on technology and trends. You will have to engage in a little creative license, but "build" a resume based on owning your own business, consultancy, etc. Based on what sector you are looking to get into, be sure to build/cleanse your Facebook and LinkedIn accounts as they may be asked for on an application.

Last thought, which goes through the mind of everyone seeking a career change. Remember you have the advantage of having a job, which means you can pursue something that interests you.

Always stay close to people who can give you positive guidance throughout the journey.
nycflyer is offline   Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 06:01 PM   #33
Tim the Enchanter
Registered Member

Agree with most of the advice here, though I would be VERY careful about the amount of creative license used - many employers can terminate you at any time if they ever discover you falsified a resume.
If you go the "stay-at-home relationship" route you might consider a step-by-step approach, starting with a job which may not pay much but where questions won't be asked (e.g. restaurant suggestion) (presumably continuing your present "consulting" job part-time to help with bills). That then helps you with the next step.
Alternative approach of presenting a picture where you were trying to do your own business but just didn't work out / offer stability you wanted etc. may well be better but (a) have a clear story for why you can't give client references etc. and (b) perhaps you can discuss skills you developed that are relevant to the job you're applying for (e.g. dealing with difficult / unpleasant clients).
In either case strongly second suggestion of artfully turning the conversation from the past to the future i.e. what you can do for the employer.
Tim the Enchanter is offline   Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:36 PM   #34
TexTushHog
Professional Tush Hog.

Encounters: 7

Back to the original question, I think the simpler the answer the better. You might even combine a couple of the suggestions. "In a relationship and had a chance to take some time off to consider what I wanted to do with the rest of my life, etc." Stay positive about it, not defensive. Give you short explanation and go on like that's the most natural thing in the world.
TexTushHog is offline   Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:25 PM   #35
Sisyphus
Valued Poster

Location: Up a hill...down a hill... Up a hill...down a hill...

Quote:
For the last couple of months I have had lots of thoughts and questions about leaving this business. For now I will stick to this one question.

To a potential employer, how do I account for the last few years that I haven't been working a real job?
In this day & age... all kinds of answers. You've already seen a fair amount of good ones. You could always use the investments-gone-south angle. Because I just can't get enough of the great John Riggins....

"I'm bored.
I'm broke.
I'm back."

Bon chance with the soul search.... and the job search!!!
Sisyphus is offline   Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 06:57 AM   #36
WTF
Lifetime Premium Access

Default I wish the real world, would just stop hassling me

Quote:

Great question Ans.

Here's the real deal, people in the so called 'Real World' love to help people that really want to help themselves. Keep asking questions like this and follow it up with action that is in line with your questions and be prepared for good things to happen.

The people that really want/can help a person , wait for that person to start helping themself first before extending a hand.

I hope that confused enough of ya!

Might just have to start a thread on the "Real World" Hookerdom, USofA. Anyone think MTV would byte on that reality show?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trt3WRBHl9M"]YouTube- Matchbox 20: Real World (lyrics)[/ame]

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/match...realworld.html
WTF is offline   Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 08:47 AM   #37
johnnybax
Ambassador

Encounters: 1

I think what you say really depends on what field you're going into
johnnybax is online now   Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 05:49 PM   #38
Guest083011
Account Disabled

Encounters: 6

Hey, Ans, as others have mentioned, you threw a curve ball at us. Without clicking on the thread I panicked thinking how would I slip away before you changed gears. Yikes. I may have to put you over my knee for a little spanking (not sure if that is punishment or not). Boy that could lead to some real fun.

Glad you are still here and hanging out. Eve, nice to meet you (in the cyber world sense).

Best!
Guest083011 is offline   Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 04:46 PM   #39
Ansley
Pending Age Verification

User ID: 499
My ECCIE Reviews

I wanted to tell everybody thanks for your support, answers,and ideas. Like Eve mentioned it will be hard work and a lot of adjustments. I hear out there in the real world they don't much care if you are HDH or hourly.... cool.
Ansley is offline   Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 04:50 PM   #40
guest051510-1
Miss America

User ID: 3339

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eve Hennessey View Post

Hi, NB. Have we met?
I am a fan of your writing from aspd. I was a lurker long before a poster.
guest051510-1 is offline   Quote