Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > A Question of Legality
A Question of Legality Post your legal questions here (general, nothing of a personal nature)

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 373
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 262
sharkman29 250
George Spelvin 246
Top Posters
DallasRain70403
biomed160460
Yssup Rider59894
gman4452915
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47502
pyramider46370
bambino40306
CryptKicker37078
Mokoa36485
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35300
Mojojo33117

Old 10-25-2013, 11:11 AM   #1
Kay of Houston
YOUR BEST KEPT SECRET!

User ID: 5809
My Bio Page
My ECCIE Reviews
Default Posting of police records

Is it o.k. to post someone's police records on social sites? Talking about Face Book and someone posting copies of police records. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
Kay of Houston is offline   Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 12:22 PM   #2
LNK
Valued Poster

Encounters: 28

Unless it violates their TOS (Terms Of Service), I don't think there's anything you could do.

It's a public record, so unless a court ordered the file sealed, anyone could go look it up.

IANAL, so perhaps SJ or someone with actual legal expertise could answer more authoritatively, but that's how I see it.
LNK is offline   Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 12:47 PM   #3
ShysterJon
Valued Poster

Encounters: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay of Houston View Post
Is it o.k. to post someone's police records on social sites? Talking about Face Book and someone posting copies of police records. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
I'm not sure what you mean by "o.k." Is it morally repugnant to try to injure someone by publishing embarrassing information about them? Yes. But would it be illegal to post police records on the Internet that were obtained through legal means and were not later expunged? No.
ShysterJon is offline   Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:18 AM   #4
CS123
Valued Poster

Kay it is getting much worse than that. There were recently posts on here that discussed the issue of mugshots but I can't find them. In a nutshell they copy the mugshot photos and post them on their website, if you want them off you have to pay them. Although it isn't directly related to what you are asking it kind of runs parallel to it. I do know how to find the links and the credit goes to the guy(s) that found them in the first place. There are more news sources that discuss the issue if you want to search for them. They deal with the credit card industry shutting them down by not processing cards for them. They, the CC industry, all talked a good talk but not sure they followed through. This will get you started on finding out how bad this is likely to get.

They, LE, could probably control the pictures usage via the Digital Millennium Copyright Act but that would take time and money and probably some legislation. Unauthorized use of someone else's photos is developing its own "ambulance chasers" seeking payouts but that is off topic for what you are asking. The clear message is people aren't playing nicely, what they are doing in both of the instances in my opinion is legal extortion.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/06/bu...anted=all&_r=0
http://money.cnn.com/2013/10/16/tech...shot-websites/
CS123 is offline   Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:23 AM   #5
ck1942
Meet & Greet Organizer

Encounters: 181

Very doubtful that LE can control "mug shots" which are part and parcel of common public records in Texas.

LE cannot, for one thing, assert copyright of any public record, much less a mug shot; and, imo, even if the mug shots are redacted or expunged by court order, once they have entered the public domain very little can be done imo about removing them nor preventing them appearing any where on the Internet.

Best defense obviously is not be in a place or position where a mug shot can be made.
ck1942 is offline   Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:36 AM   #6
natasteewsym
BANNED

Encounters: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay of Houston View Post
Are you kidding? Of course its fine.
natasteewsym is offline   Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 12:33 PM   #7
ShysterJon
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ck1942 View Post
imo, even if the mug shots are redacted or expunged by court order, once they have entered the public domain very little can be done imo about removing them nor preventing them appearing any where on the Internet.
In Texas, there are remedies regarding private (that is, non-government) businesses that buy criminal background information (CBI) from government entities and publish it or sell it. The remedies stem from a series of recent amendments to the Texas Expunction Statute (Texas Code of Criminal Procedure Chapter 55) making expunction orders applicable to private businesses. Now, if a private business sells or publishes CBI that the business knows has been expunged, it's a Class B misdemeanor. There are also civil remedies regarding non-compliant businesses.

When I file an expunction petition, I list all government entities that possibly COULD have information about my client's case, and the petition also contains the language from the statute regarding private businesses. In Dallas County, the expunction orders are drafted by an Assistant District Attorney, and she also includes language about private businesses.

Entities (both government and private) that maintain CBI have the option of either deleting the information or sending it into the court that issued the expunction order. The entities all delete it, since CBI is maintained on computers.

When a private business buys a new CBI database from a government entity, the expunged information should be deleted. But sometimes the private businesses maintain and publish information from old databases. I always run checks after an expunction order has been issued. If I find CBI about my client still in cyberspace, like a mugshot, I send a copy of the expunction order to the website with a copy of the pages from the statute setting forth the criminal penalties and civil remedies for publishing expunged information. I have never had a website refuse to delete information.
Old 10-27-2013, 01:07 PM   #8
CS123
Valued Poster

There are some interesting articles relating to copyright and who owns it at the State and Local levels but not so for the Federal level. The article from the the law group appears to be fact based while the other is opinion. There is a comment below the law group blog where the Boise Sheriff appears to take issue with the photos on his Departments site too. I am sure sooner or later this will be litigated and the courts will rule on it.
http://giocondalaw.blogspot.com/2012...mug-shots.html
http://www.techdirt.com/articles/201...ing-them.shtml

I apologize for dragging the subject in the original post off topic from records to photos.
CS123 is offline   Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 02:01 PM   #9
Mr. GPop
Account Disabled

Encounters: 10

@ShysterJon so the best way would be to list all local law enforcements, state and federal then the local DA will fill in the parts about private business's and that covers anyone who has bought the information?

Now, what if a private business or citizen has your CBI, they get told to destroy it lest get a misdemeanor charge on them, and refuse since a class B misdemeanor might have some teeth, but its not all that big a deal.. what if they ignore it?
Mr. GPop is offline   Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 02:21 PM   #10
ShysterJon
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GPop View Post
@ShysterJon so the best way would be to list all local law enforcements, state and federal then the local DA will fill in the parts about private business's and that covers anyone who has bought the information?
No, that's not what I wrote. I wrote about the process in Dallas County. In every other county where I've filed an expunction petition, the petitioner's lawyer drafts the proposed order. Either way, the order should include every conceivable law enforcement agency that could have records about the case AND the language from the expunction statute regarding private businesses that buy and publish CBI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GPop View Post
Now, what if a private business or citizen has your CBI, they get told to destroy it lest get a misdemeanor charge on them, and refuse since a class B misdemeanor might have some teeth, but its not all that big a deal.. what if they ignore it?
It's never happened regarding any of my cases, but if it did, I'd make a criminal complaint in the offender's home jurisdiction.
Old 10-27-2013, 05:16 PM   #11
Mr. GPop
Account Disabled

Encounters: 10

ok. so which ever side does the filing should cover every angle then...will look into this
Mr. GPop is offline   Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:33 AM   #12
ck1942
Meet & Greet Organizer

Encounters: 181

SJ's facts are spot on....certainly at least for Texas jurisdictions where information was obtained from CBI.

Possibly also for other U.S. jurisdictions (and websites hosted within same) as well and maybe some foreign websites would pay attention, too, if CBI is involved.

However, for example, in the instant of a newspaper website publishing a mug shot and an accompanying story lifted directly from the pages of its newspaper, one well might question the absoluteness of any removal request - expunction or not.

Certainly the website can be redacted, but no way the published newspapers can be recalled.

Think First Amendment issues, first and foremost. Both above, and certainly below:

Then, there exist more than a few commercial enterprises (think bonding companies for example, possibly credit reporting bureaus, private security (government security) agencies, "legal" newspapers, etc.) which track certain very public activities such as bankruptcies, monetary felony convictions, etc. and etc.

imo, every one of those enterprises certainly can also claim the "First Amendment" right of publishing that data either in public, in private or even online, expunged or not.

Again, your best bet is to avoid any police action that might show up anywhere you don't want it to be.
ck1942 is offline   Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:16 PM   #13
Grouchy
Premium Access

Encounters: 22
Default It's worse than that

Here's a case where the cops used a mugshot as a screensaver which was visible to the public. The fed judge said

[t]he fact of Philbrook's arrest is part of her criminal offender record, and, as such, she should not have had an expectation of privacy in connection therewith. . . . Furthermore, a mug-shot is not `highly personal,’ as it is part of the official records of the police. It is, moreover, vastly different from a `family photograph’ which is considered to be protected. Although the defendants' conduct was inappropriate, it did not constitute a violation of Philbook's privacy under [Massachusetts General Laws c. 214 § 1B and summary judgment on that issue is proper.

http://cyb3rcrim3.blogspot.com/2009/10/wallpaper.html
Grouchy is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women