Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > Security Matters
Security Matters Personal security is of the utmost priority. Discussions regarding every aspect of personal security within the hobby can be found here.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 370
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 261
sharkman29 250
George Spelvin 243
Top Posters
DallasRain70365
biomed160193
Yssup Rider59821
gman4452826
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47410
pyramider46370
bambino40248
CryptKicker37052
Mokoa36482
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35112
Mojojo33117

Old 12-05-2010, 08:08 PM   #1
Niktu
Valued Poster

Encounters: 11
Default smart phone browser safety

I may be unable to access either my 1) Gmail hobby account or 2) Eccie with my laptop while I'm away.

My understanding is if a computer browser is used to access Gmail, Google does not log the IP address. Is this the same with a smart phone browser? Having my personal cell # logged to the hobby email account isn't something I'm willing to do.

Same question for Eccie. I suspect Eccie monitors IP #'s for multiple handles. Would my personal cell # show up?

Thanks
Niktu is offline   Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 10:39 PM   #2
Capt. Lincoln F. Stern
Account Disabled

Encounters: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niktu View Post
I may be unable to access either my 1) Gmail hobby account or 2) Eccie with my laptop while I'm away.

My understanding is if a computer browser is used to access Gmail, Google does not log the IP address. Is this the same with a smart phone browser? Having my personal cell # logged to the hobby email account isn't something I'm willing to do.

Same question for Eccie. I suspect Eccie monitors IP #'s for multiple handles. Would my personal cell # show up?

Thanks
Smart phone browsing is not like your home PC. The REAL world IP is what is assigned to your computer if you are not using a SOHO router (linksys,dlink etc) which does something called NAT.

Basically in the world of IP's there are some that are set aside for "private networking"

ClassNetworks
A 10.0.0.0 through 10.255.255.255
B 172.16.0.0 through 172.31.0.0
C 192.168.0.0 through 192.168.255.0

These ranges here are not rout-able on the internet so they are used internally (like inside a company) The Gateway IP (the ip that links you to the outside internet) is what is NATTED over for inside internet usage and it is the NATTED IP that will show up.

(got a headache so far?)

here is an example

These are private IP's a linksys router will give to 3 computers on your broadband connection, yet your IP from your cable company or DSL might be 216.87.23.145.

You are only assigned 1 IP for 1 computer device but the router allows up to 253 computers to use it and appear as 1....

Your smart phone is on your providers "private network" so its IP might be 10.10.1.145 but the gateway IP from provider to real world is the IP Google will see.

I know... headache got bigger but if you were to see how a network is set up for a company you will pity us network techs/engineers/admins more
Capt. Lincoln F. Stern is offline   Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 07:10 AM   #3
Niktu
Valued Poster

Thanks Spirit.

Understand, me?

Using a router the IP address I see on my computer from sites like "my ip address" and shows my ISP and geographic location is internal, not the external "real world" address the carrier provides?

More importantly, on a smart phone browser the regional ip for the cell carrier is what Gmail, Eccie will see?
Checking this with a free "my ip" site it shows my cell carrier's geographic area.

Interestingly a reverse search on the IP shows it's for California and I am very far from California.

Bottom line is it appears safe to access the hobby email and eccie from my personal smartphone.

Thanks again, I knew I would get good information here.
Niktu is offline   Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 07:31 AM   #4
Capt. Lincoln F. Stern
Account Disabled

Quote:
Thanks Spirit.

Understand, me?

Using a router the IP address I see on my computer from sites like "my ip address" and shows my ISP and geographic location is internal, not the external "real world" address the carrier provides?

More importantly, on a smart phone browser the regional ip for the cell carrier is what Gmail, Eccie will see?
Checking this with a free "my ip" site it shows my cell carrier's geographic area.

Interestingly a reverse search on the IP shows it's for California and I am very far from California.

Bottom line is it appears safe to access the hobby email and eccie from my personal smartphone.

Thanks again, I knew I would get good information here.

The reason why your IP is from California and not where you REALLY are is the DHCP server that is responsible for handing out the IP is based in California.

For them to find your true location they would have to locate the towers your cell talks to, and triangulate... its not impossible but highly unlikely they will go through all that just to find a "professional lady" unless your profession is murder.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:03 PM   #5
Niktu
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit13 View Post
. its not impossible but highly unlikely they will go through all that just to find a "professional lady" unless your profession is murder.
Ummmmm I ain't no lady

more seriously, what about e911, gps, course and fine location?
Niktu is offline   Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 03:32 AM   #6
shooter1a
Lifetime Premium Access

Encounters: 15

there is, or at least use to be a CMD that would return the IP address and speed up and down.
I searched the cmd help file and could not find the command. Anyone know that protocol?
shooter1a is offline   Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 09:47 AM   #7
Capt. Lincoln F. Stern
Account Disabled

in windows the command is IPconfig
in linux its IFconfig
Old 01-01-2011, 09:49 AM   #8
Capt. Lincoln F. Stern
Account Disabled

Quote:
Ummmmm I ain't no lady

more seriously, what about e911, gps, course and fine location?
E911 is for where you registered your phone. A lot of people use cell's as their home phone so you can register your home address as your E911 location. However GPS in the phone can be turned off by the operator so you can leave it off. Then they have to triangulate via the towers which will give them an area.

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women