Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > Texas > Dallas > The Sandbox - Dallas
The Sandbox - Dallas The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here. If it's NOT an adult-themed topic, then it belongs here

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 373
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 262
sharkman29 250
George Spelvin 246
Top Posters
DallasRain70403
biomed160442
Yssup Rider59883
gman4452909
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47499
pyramider46370
bambino40301
CryptKicker37075
Mokoa36485
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35292
Mojojo33117

Old 02-07-2024, 09:13 AM   #1
Texas Contrarian
Lifetime Premium Access

Default Choice of Streaming Services (Recommendations?)

I need to make some changes. (I know, I know. We all do in so many ways!)

But what I'd specifically like to ask about concerns options and choices for streaming services and their functionality.

Late this last year I got Starlink low-orbit (thus low-latency) satellite internet service at the rural residences where I spend much of my time. According to a guy who installed much of my audio-video and theater room equipment, Starlink download speeds are good enough for decent-quality streaming. It would indeed be nice to ditch Dish Network and Direct TV!

I still have Direct TV satellite service at my Dallas residence, just out of sheer momentum since I've had it for many years and at one time it seemed to be just about the only option for reasonably high-definition viewing. (Kinda obsolete now, though.)

So, what do you think are the best options for streaming? One thing that's important to me is the ability to pause live TV for as much as an hour and then fast forward through commercials, or whatever you're not interested in watching on a news channel or in a football or basketball game. (Preferably while seeing images flash by so that you know what you're skipping.)

Is it necessary to do anything special to get the pause/fast-forward functionality with streaming services, or do they routinely feature this? With Direct TV, you can pause for as long as 90 minutes, which I find very useful.

Perhaps some others may be interested in learning about these options as well, so I hope this is an informative and useful discussion.
Texas Contrarian is offline   Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 12:05 PM   #2
TinMan
The Grey Knight

Encounters: 128

I have the Hulu package which includes live tv and local channels as well as ESPN. It has pause and fast-forward capabilities but you can’t always fast forward through commercials. I still haven’t figured out why sometimes you can and sometimes you can’t. I think the local broadcasts all allow it, but some of the streaming-only shows (like Hulu originals) don’t. I’m probably not explaining it well, but not sure how else to describe it.

I’ve had times when I’m watching a football game and have to leave in the middle of it. I’ll hit pause and leave, and when I come back (sometimes days later) I’ll be able to pick up from where I stopped. FF usually works, too.

I had DirecTV before I cut the cable. It was more straightforward and easy to use, but for me the cost was just too prohibitive since I had four TVs and one of the more expensive packages that included all sports channels. My bill is still less than half what it was despite price increases the past several years (Direct TV is probably higher, too). The only thing I’m missing are the teams carried by Bally Sports. That’s a bummer, but it sounds like by 2025 the Rangers at least will probably have moved on.
TinMan is offline   Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 02:53 PM   #3
CaptainZman
Valued Poster

Encounters: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinMan View Post
I have the Hulu package which includes live tv and local channels as well as ESPN. It has pause and fast-forward capabilities but you can’t always fast forward through commercials. I still haven’t figured out why sometimes you can and sometimes you can’t. I think the local broadcasts all allow it, but some of the streaming-only shows (like Hulu originals) don’t. I’m probably not explaining it well, but not sure how else to describe it.

I’ve had times when I’m watching a football game and have to leave in the middle of it. I’ll hit pause and leave, and when I come back (sometimes days later) I’ll be able to pick up from where I stopped. FF usually works, too.

I had DirecTV before I cut the cable. It was more straightforward and easy to use, but for me the cost was just too prohibitive since I had four TVs and one of the more expensive packages that included all sports channels. My bill is still less than half what it was despite price increases the past several years (Direct TV is probably higher, too). The only thing I’m missing are the teams carried by Bally Sports. That’s a bummer, but it sounds like by 2025 the Rangers at least will probably have moved on.
Use Apple TV and a VPN and you can watch Mavs and Rangers on Bally.
CaptainZman is offline   Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 03:29 PM   #4
TinMan
The Grey Knight

Encounters: 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainZman View Post
Use Apple TV and a VPN and you can watch Mavs and Rangers on Bally.
I’m not sure I understand the VPN part of that. Are you paying a separate fee to stream Bally’s?

I haven’t looked into trying to get Bally’s as I really haven’t missed it that much. I’m more of an NFL and college sports fan, so my needs are met. I brought it up since I went from DirecTV to streaming as the OP is considering, and that was one of the notable differences for me.
TinMan is offline   Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 06:29 PM   #5
motor
Lifetime Premium Access

Encounters: 61

I have youtube TV. It cost me about 90 bucks a month for it and I get all the major sports channels as well and you obviously need internet as well. I get everything I had on frontier except for the History channel.
motor is offline   Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 10:58 AM   #6
corona
Premium Access

Encounters: 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Contrarian View Post
I need to make some changes. (I know, I know. We all do in so many ways!)

But what I'd specifically like to ask about concerns options and choices for streaming services and their functionality.

Late this last year I got Starlink low-orbit (thus low-latency) satellite internet service at the rural residences where I spend much of my time. According to a guy who installed much of my audio-video and theater room equipment, Starlink download speeds are good enough for decent-quality streaming. It would indeed be nice to ditch Dish Network and Direct TV!

I still have Direct TV satellite service at my Dallas residence, just out of sheer momentum since I've had it for many years and at one time it seemed to be just about the only option for reasonably high-definition viewing. (Kinda obsolete now, though.)

So, what do you think are the best options for streaming? One thing that's important to me is the ability to pause live TV for as much as an hour and then fast forward through commercials, or whatever you're not interested in watching on a news channel or in a football or basketball game. (Preferably while seeing images flash by so that you know what you're skipping.)

Is it necessary to do anything special to get the pause/fast-forward functionality with streaming services, or do they routinely feature this? With Direct TV, you can pause for as long as 90 minutes, which I find very useful.

Perhaps some others may be interested in learning about these options as well, so I hope this is an informative and useful discussion.
Assuming you have high speed internet in your Dallas home, I'd switch to DirecTV Stream. The full streaming version of DTV satellite service. Then you can just order an extra STB for your hill country location and utilize the same account at both locations. It also makes it seamless because no matter where you are, your TV service works the exact same.

I ditched traditional DTV satellite and now have DTV Stream and I love it. No more weather interruptions and no ugly dish on my roof. The apps for your devices works flawlessly and they even sent me an HDMI travel dongle with remote control I can use anywhere I go that has high speed internet.
corona is offline   Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 03:46 PM   #7
R.M.
Not A Stepford Wife

User ID: 14483
My Bio Page
My ECCIE Reviews

^ What's the difference between DTV Stream and Ruko?
R.M. is offline   Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 03:55 PM   #8
corona
Premium Access

Encounters: 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.M. View Post
^ What's the difference between DTV Stream and Ruko?
I'm not terribly familiar with the package offerings from ROKU, but it's a similar type scenario.

You connect the set top box to your internet at home and also your TV. The set top box comes with a remote and you use tell the TV your set top box is your "source".

Coming from DTV Satellite service to DTV Streaming was pretty straight forward. The channel numbers were all the same and the package itself was a similar cost. Not much of a learning curve for me.
corona is offline   Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 06:11 PM   #9
2balls75
Premium Access

Encounters: 21

YouTubeTV for me, $70 after tax
2balls75 is offline   Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 07:07 PM   #10
R.M.
Not A Stepford Wife

User ID: 14483
My Bio Page
My ECCIE Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by corona View Post
I'm not terribly familiar with the package offerings from ROKU, but it's a similar type scenario.

You connect the set top box to your internet at home and also your TV. The set top box comes

with a remote and you use tell the TV your set top box is your "source".

Coming from DTV Satellite service to DTV Streaming was pretty straight forward. The
channel numbers were all the same and the package itself was a similar cost. Not much of a learning curve for me.
Thank you. I'm going to check it out.
R.M. is offline   Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 07:10 PM   #11
TexTushHog
Professional Tush Hog.

Encounters: 7

I have YouTube TV. Have no idea what it costs. Works ok, but I find it very hard to find programs. I liked DirectTV better. But I might watch one hour of TV a week, so it’s really no big deal to me.
TexTushHog is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women