Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > Diamonds and Tuxedos
Diamonds and Tuxedos Glamour, elegance, and sophistication. That's what it's all about here in ECCIE's newest forum which caters to those with expensive tastes, lavish lifestyles, and an appetite for upscale entertainment.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 370
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 262
sharkman29 250
George Spelvin 244
Top Posters
DallasRain70383
biomed160296
Yssup Rider59847
gman4452865
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47428
pyramider46370
bambino40275
CryptKicker37064
Mokoa36485
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35149
Mojojo33117

Old 02-11-2010, 09:22 PM   #1
rekcaSxT
Lifetime Premium Access

Encounters: 62
Default Wine of the Week

I was thinking of a thread like this each week on a wine I have had recently that others might want to try. Let me know what you think.

So here goes.

Neil Ellis Left Bank 2008
$12.99
South Africa

The "left bank" refers to the western part of the Bordeaux Wine region in France. Red Bordeaux wine consists of the following grapes: (in order of prominence) Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc, Malbec, and Petit Verdot. Bordeaux is split by the Gironde river which then splits into two rivers The Dordogne, and the Garonne.

The wines on the "Left Bank" of the Garonne are dominated by Cabernet Sauvignon. Because Cabernet is a late ripening grape and the Western part of the region is closer to the Atlantic Ocean the warmer temperature allows the Cabernet to ripen sooner. The Right bank wines are dominated by Mertlot.

So the Neil Ellis Left Bank is a Cabernet dominant blend. (66%) The wine is rounded out with Shiraz (20%) and Merlot (14%). Syrah (AKA Shiraz) is not a grape used in Bordeaux wines, but in S. Africa and Australia they like to put it in everything. (Kinda like cheese in Tex Mex cuisine)

On the nose you will get some earthiness early on. You will smell cassis and dark cherry, you might pick up some pepper and also plum. If you just pour this wine from the bottle it is very much like a young Bordeaux. This wine is bold with firm tannins. The finish lingers and it is no wimpy wine. The flavors are similar to the aromas. The Cab brings cassis and dark cherry. Shiraz ads the pepper and the plum is a tell tale sign of Merlot.

The first time I had this wine I decanted it. This softened the tannins and mellowed out the pepper. The fruitiness dissapated some and I picked up the earthy tones more, as well as a little leather. When decanted it drinks a little more like an aged Bordeaux.

Enjoy, and stay thirsty my friends.
rekcaSxT is offline   Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 09:29 PM   #2
atlcomedy
Valued Poster

I think the regular posts are great.

I have to say, although many are very drinkable, I usually steer clear of blends. Thoughts on blends in general?
atlcomedy is offline   Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 09:45 PM   #3
rekcaSxT
Lifetime Premium Access

Well I mentioned it in the "Just wanna wine" thread. But most reds are blends, in fact most wines are blends. California popularized the practice of varietal labeling. Traditionally in Europe the Varietal was not even mentioned on the label, it was assumed that one buying the wine ought to know what the grape(s) were in the wine. The exception to this would be Germany where varietal labeling has always been the case.

But even the Cabs and Merlots etc... from California (really anywhere in the US) are not 100% the varietal on the label. (most of the time) When you buy a California Cabernet Sauvingnon for example the laws say it must be a minimum of 75% Cabernet Sauvignon, the rest can be anything. Most of those Cabs get filled out with Merlot to soften the tannins, Syrah to ad more body, Zin to ad more fruit etc... The same goes for Merlots and on and on etc.. So when you go to the grocery store or liquor store and pick out a varietal wine you are getting a blend most of the time.

Exceptions here would be Oregon laws enforce a 95% law on varietal labeling. And Argentinian wines with a varietal on the label must be 100% from that grape.

Being that I am a Francophile when it comes to wine I am all about the blends. But one of my favorite wine regions in France is Burgundy and they do not blend grapes in Burgundy at all. If it is a Red it is either Pinot Noir or Gamay (Beaujolais). If it is a White is is almost always Chardonnay, or it is Aligote (rare).
Old 02-11-2010, 10:54 PM   #4
TexTushHog
Professional Tush Hog.

Encounters: 7

Don't for get Bourgogne Passtoutgrain. The rare Burgundy blend. Frankly I've never found one I much liked, but they are our there in small, but substantial numbers. Robert Chevillon makes one in small numbers, as does Groffier. Maybe Lefarge, in Volnay, too, if I recall correctly.

TexTushHog is offline   Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 11:31 PM   #5
rekcaSxT
Lifetime Premium Access

Passe-Tout-Grains is very similar in style to beaujolais nouveau in that they use carbonic maceration. The wine is not meant to be aged, and is very fruity and uncomplicated.

Honestly IMHO it is hardly worth mentioning. But yes you are correct it is a blend. It must be a minimum 1/3 Gamay.

I got to taste the beaujolais premier crus from all the communes that Deboef produces for 2009. 2009 will be a great year for Burgundy, possibly one for the history books. Even the beaujolais nouveau showed a lot of structure. It wasn't nearly as candied as previous vintages.