Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > A Question of Legality
A Question of Legality Post your legal questions here (general, nothing of a personal nature)

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 370
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 262
sharkman29 250
George Spelvin 244
Top Posters
DallasRain70383
biomed160296
Yssup Rider59851
gman4452865
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47431
pyramider46370
bambino40282
CryptKicker37064
Mokoa36485
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35161
Mojojo33117

Old 06-20-2021, 11:52 PM   #1
SecretE
Lifetime Premium Access

Encounters: 157
Question TX HB1540 (Increasing Prohibited Sex Work Penalties From Misdemeanors To Felonies)

https://capitol.texas.gov/tlodocs/87...l/HB01540F.HTM

This bill was just signed into law by Governor Abbott in Texas. Any thoughts from the legal eagles? Wonder if this could also affect other parts of "sex work" like exotic dancing and adult content production like OnlyFans.
SecretE is offline   Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 01:13 PM   #2
ShysterJon
Valued Poster

Encounters: 1

I'll try my best to write on this topic this week. I'm a little busy right now.
ShysterJon is offline   Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 02:26 PM   #3
SecretE
Lifetime Premium Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShysterJon View Post
I'll try my best to write on this topic this week. I'm a little busy right now.
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this, Jon.
Old 07-09-2021, 03:10 PM   #4
Curved65
Valued Poster

Encounters: 79

Can they go after you for meet ups before September 1st?
Curved65 is offline   Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 05:47 PM   #5
SecretE
Lifetime Premium Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curved65 View Post
That would be a great question for someone like ShysterJon. Right now, I have assume, no, but I'm just a layman.
Old 07-16-2021, 04:26 PM   #6
pmdelites
consulting for delites

Encounters: 122

Quote:
they can go after you for solicitation or any crime at any time, under current laws.
but, if the new level of charge doesnt go into effect until sep 1 and you get arrested before then, then, no, they cannot charge you under the new law, only under the current law.

years ago, DWI 1st offense was a misdemeanor. the tx lege passed & gov signed a bill raising it to maybe a low level felony. bill went into effect sep 1 of that year. LOTS of people went to court and pleady guilty to avoid the harsher charge & sentencing, not realizing that it didnt apply to them cos they were charged BEFORE new law went into effect. i waited on my case and got it dropped completely cos of no priors.
pmdelites is offline   Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 07:41 PM   #7
CryptKicker
Quatsch!

Encounters: 12

First two DWIs in Texas are normally a class B misdemeanor unless the BAC is over .15 or other circumstances are involved like an accident, kid in the car, etc. Then it can be a low level felony with other charges included. A third DWI is almost always charged as a felony.
CryptKicker is offline   Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 02:43 PM   #8
SecretE
Lifetime Premium Access

I'm also assuming that engaging in "sex work" outside of the state of TX, even though you are a resident of TX, doesn't qualify as a potential crime that could be prosecuted under this law (think only Federal law might apply, if the participants were crossing state lines explicitly for the "sex work"). Like to hear some legal eagles talk about that as well.
Old 07-19-2021, 05:23 PM   #9
SecretE
Lifetime Premium Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by CryptKicker View Post
First two DWIs in Texas are normally a class B misdemeanor unless the BAC is over .15 or other circumstances are involved like an accident, kid in the car, etc. Then it can be a low level felony with other charges included. A third DWI is almost always charged as a felony.
I hate to say it, but I think there is a greater acceptance of drunk driving (a crime where innocent people can get hurt) vs. "sex work" (usually a victimless "crime"). Going to be way too easy for some DA's to get brownie points with their constituents (a.k.a. voters) by either prosecuting these full-hilt, or getting these poor guys to take a "john" class and pay an exorbitant fee to avoid jail.
Old 07-20-2021, 06:56 PM   #10
sinbadd
Premium Access

Encounters: 102

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretE View Post
I'm also assuming that engaging in "sex work" outside of the state of TX, even though you are a resident of TX, doesn't qualify as a potential crime that could be prosecuted under this law (think only Federal law might apply, if the participants were crossing state lines explicitly for the "sex work"). Like to hear some legal eagles talk about that as well.
not a TX lawyer, but usually for a given state to assert jurisdiction over an alleged offense, the alleged offense must have either "commenced" or been "consummated" within that state.
sinbadd is offline   Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 08:59 AM   #11
playerplano
Premium Access

Encounters: 34

I’m eagerly awaiting Shysters thoughts on the new law. I’m thinking a lot of his prior advice about STFU and the major no no’s centered around don’t exchange explicit communications will still apply. The unknowns about if a review or PMs sharing information will be used to make cases and things like gifts or SBs will be interesting.
playerplano is offline   Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 10:36 AM   #12
TinMan
The Grey Knight

Encounters: 127

I wonder if this section of the law changes anything about how SJ views the risk to guys who provide content (including reviews) on sites like this:

SECTION 55. Section 43.031(a), Penal Code, is amended to
read as follows:
(a) A person commits an offense if the person owns, manages,
or operates an interactive computer service or information content
provider, or operates as an information content provider, with the
intent to promote the prostitution of another person or facilitate
another person to engage in prostitution or solicitation of
prostitution.

The bold represents the part that causes me to ask the question. The underlined was added to the already existing statute.
TinMan is offline   Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 01:19 PM   #13
JRLawrence
Valued Poster

Encounters: 38

Quote:
Ex Post Facto
Definition
Latin for "from a thing done afterward."
Overview
Ex post facto is most typically used to refer to a criminal statute that punishes actions retroactively, thereby criminalizing conduct that was legal when originally performed. Two clauses in the United States Constitution prohibit ex post facto laws:
Art 1, § 9
This prohibits Congress from passing any laws which apply ex post facto.
Art. 1 § 10.
This prohibits the states from passing any laws which apply ex post facto.
Scope

What Constitutes Punishment
In the often-cited case of Beazell v. Ohio, 269 U.S. 167 (1925), the Supreme Court defined the scope of the constitutional ex post facto restrictions:
"It is settled, by decisions of this Court so well known that their citation may be dispensed with, that any statute which punishes as a crime an act previously committed, which was innocent when done, which makes more burdensome the punishment for a crime, after its commission, or which deprives one charged with crime of any defense available according to law at the time when the act was committed, is prohibited as ex post facto."
JRLawrence is offline   Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 02:18 PM   #14
soldierboy44
Premium Access

Encounters: 144

Well guys........guess we just need to start making plans to move to Australia or New Zealand where sex work is legal. I am thinking 2 months in New Zealand, 5 months in Australia, then 5 months in Canada during North American Summers..........maybe fly into Vegas for a week and visit the brothels before headed to Canada!!

Sounds like a fantastic idea to me..........note I am Divorced and never remarried.........I am as free as free can be.......as soon as I can throw off the dam chains from the prison sweatshop I work in these days.
soldierboy44 is offline   Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 08:08 AM   #15
rexdutchman
Valued Poster

Encounters: 22

Yea the ""War on sex "" continues People not gonna stop just me
rexdutchman is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women