Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > The Sandbox - National
{vb:debugvardump notices}
The Sandbox - National The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 370
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 261
sharkman29 250
George Spelvin 243
Top Posters
DallasRain70365
biomed160193
Yssup Rider59821
gman4452826
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47407
pyramider46370
bambino40248
CryptKicker37054
Mokoa36482
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35112
Mojojo33117

Old 10-10-2019, 06:48 PM   #1
Gfe Juliette
Upgraded Female Account

User ID: 57453
My Bio Page
My ECCIE Reviews
Default Scuba diving help

I am going to Key Largo in Jan. for some much needed leisure time. While I am there, I am going to do some scuba diving in the sunken ships. I am an advanced scuba diver but I am planning on getting my certificate for "search and rescue" diver while I am there. I am a bit nervous because I am afraid I may not succeed due to the fact that I have asthma. (No, PADI does not know of my condition). My question is to any divers out there would be, is the class difficult or strenuous? Should I get my certification for nitro oxygen instead? Any suggestions would be appreciated. ANYONE WANT TO JOIN ME?

Thanks
Juliette
Gfe Juliette is offline   Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 11:25 PM   #2
Ronin3
Premium Access

Encounters: 123

My first questions would be, are you on medication? Oral? MDI? If so, how often? What are triggers...cold or exercise? When was last attack requiring treatment or hospitalization. I’ve been diving since I was 14. I’m 65. It was part of my job in the service. I’ll be diving in Thailand in 3 days. PM is better as I’m horrible at tracking threads
Ronin3 is offline   Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 06:50 AM   #3
BigBamboo
Premium Access

Encounters: 107

Wreck diving is a certification alone. Have you obtained that already? You can dive wrecks without it at your own risk with a dive master who is willing to lead you but most reputable dive setups will only allow if certified because of the dangers involved. I was on my way to dive master cert at one point and wreck diving was one I really wanted to do.

I’ve not sought the S&R certification but yes it is more strenuous than most other certifications with exception of possibly deep diver. Nitrox (Enriched Air) is a good cert to get if you plan on wreck and deep dives.

To Ronin’s point about meds for your asthma is mainly what for you triggers it? Some people have asthma flare ups from allergens only while others may be induced by strenuous cardio.
BigBamboo is offline   Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 07:29 AM   #4
Unique_Carpenter
Off clock with a Cowgirl

Encounters: 89

Juliette,
In that nitro can trigger asthma attacks in a Dentist office, go for the rescue class. Yes a bit strenuous, but a nice build on the safety stuff you've seen in the lower level classes. And, there will be a bit on assisting divers that are having breathing difficulties. If you're already comfortable at the 90 foot level you should be ok.
As for the gas endorsement, I used mine once a long time ago. Unless you're living on the east coast and are super serious about deep diving, well...
Expanding on Bamboo's comment:
There's numerous wrecks at the 100/130 level up the mid-Atlantic coast. Gas not actually needed. And most dive boats are gonna want folks to have the safety course for wreck diving.
Unique_Carpenter is offline   Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 03:07 PM   #5
oeb11
Valued Poster

GJ - an asthma attack underwater on scuba could be fatal - as an advanced diver you know this.

I suggest to you that a consultation with a pulmonologist and continuing care would be a very good idea - and be sure your asthma is under control when you dive.

Letting your divemaster know in case of emergency is a good idea. .
Me - I have had mild asthma and also scuba.

Take care of yourself .
oeb11 is offline   Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 03:11 PM   #6
Fsn57
Lifetime Premium Access

I would recommend the Nitrox cert over the S&R. You don't have to dive deep to reap the benefits of Nitrox, in fact, your max depth is more limited with Nitrox than with Air, you can have longer stay times at depth though with the Nitrox. I use my Nitrox cert a lot, every trip I take I dive Nitrox. You won't have the fear of not passing due to physical exertion either, thus it would be a more relaxing trip for you to do the Nitrox over S&R.

But this assumes you're good to dive with your condition. As mentioned above, I would have a Dr check you out first. I've been on a trip where a diver didn't make it. It's no fun for everyone else on the trip either.
Fsn57 is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women