Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > Diamonds and Tuxedos
Diamonds and Tuxedos Glamour, elegance, and sophistication. That's what it's all about here in ECCIE's newest forum which caters to those with expensive tastes, lavish lifestyles, and an appetite for upscale entertainment.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 370
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 262
sharkman29 250
George Spelvin 244
Top Posters
DallasRain70384
biomed160299
Yssup Rider59854
gman4452866
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47432
pyramider46370
bambino40285
CryptKicker37064
Mokoa36485
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35161
Mojojo33117

Old 01-04-2011, 06:17 PM   #31
charlestudor2005
Valued Poster

Encounters: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisyphus View Post
I've followed along with all the interest I can muster. I'll stay out of the minutia of the debate & simply state...

Do your best to like what you do! I'll do the same. I suspect we'll BOTH be doing it for a VERY long time!
Darn! We'll miss your minutiae.
charlestudor2005 is offline   Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:37 PM   #32
Sisyphus
Valued Poster

Location: Up a hill...down a hill... Up a hill...down a hill...
Default What can I say? It wasn't underlined in red...

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlestudor2005 View Post
Darn! We'll miss your minutiae.
Pobody's nerfect, bro'! You...of all folk...ought to know that!
Sisyphus is offline   Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:53 PM   #33
charlestudor2005
Valued Poster

Don't know how it happened, but I have a spell checker attached or...well, you'd be surprised.

I have a Mac running Snow Leopard and the latest Firefox version with Mac's version of Office on it.

I read that others don't have a spell checker, but I do. Makes me look better than I am at spelling.

We now take you back the the regular thread topic.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:05 PM   #34
I B Hankering
Valued Poster

Encounters: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjorourke View Post
and people on Mockingbird Lane would only invest on Mockingbird Lane. the bottom line is we don't need that many lemonade stands, which is about all you would have to invest in.
Now hold on a moment. I have made some investments in some disreputable businesses on Mockingbird Lane.
I B Hankering is offline   Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:42 PM   #35
Sisyphus
Valued Poster

Location: Up a hill...down a hill... Up a hill...down a hill...
Default Upon further review...

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlestudor2005 View Post
Don't know how it happened, but I have a spell checker attached or...well, you'd be surprised.

I have a Mac running Snow Leopard and the latest Firefox version with Mac's version of Office on it.

I read that others don't have a spell checker, but I do. Makes me look better than I am at spelling.

We now take you back the the regular thread topic.
...both spellings are acknowledged as correct. One is considered singular, the other plural. If you wish to engage in a discussion of how many picayune points I would have made...knock yourself out!
Sisyphus is offline   Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:02 PM   #36
WTF
Lifetime Premium Access

Quote:
Oh boy! WTF is back with his nitwit links.
Nitwit? LOL, maybe but I wonder how those retired folks think about that low interest rate the Fed is keeping artificially so for those poor bankers?

Here is a great clip explaining how the Fox was put in charge of guarding the henhouse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIRYWDGqp90&feature=re lated
WTF is offline   Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:21 PM   #37
pjorourke
Valued Poster

Encounters: 1

Does anyone here still follow WTF's links?
pjorourke is offline   Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:23 PM   #38
pjorourke
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTF View Post
Nitwit? LOL, maybe but I wonder how those retired folks think about that low interest rate the Fed is keeping artificially so for those poor bankers?
Its payback for the artificially high rates they earned before that didn't reflect the risk in all those junk mortgages.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:58 PM   #39
Mazomaniac
Valued Poster

Quote:
But your biggest fallacy is the idea that foreign trade is a zero sum game.
Sorry PJ, no fallacy adopted or required. My entire point is that foreign trade is not a zero sum game. That's actually the problem with your argument about productivity - it ignores the foreign trade aspects of equity investment.

Take for instance:

Quote:
A well diversified investment account typically has about 10% invested overseas.
10% invested overseas? Pretty much the only way to achieve that these days is to go 20% standard equities and 80% treasuries. Companies are global. That's just the bare hard fact of it. Just as it's almost impossible to avoid interstate commerce when you do business, these days it's also almost impossible to avoid international commerce as well.

The argument that unleashing the SS trust fund into the market will magically transform the US economy ignores the global aspect of equity investment today. Putting money into a "US company" almost invariably results in that money being spent overseas. The jobs, taxes, infrastructure, etc, etc, generated by that investment will contribute to "long-term productivity gains" all right. But those gains are going to be felt someplace where you don't live.

Wanna put $100M into Apple? China loves ya for it baby.

Fell like dropping $500M on Chevron? You are the new national hero of Kazahkstan.

Got the urge for 1M shares of Dell? Gracias Senior! The people of Mexico thank you for your wonderful generosity and look forward to the numerous economic benefits that your investment will bring to our beautiful country!

You are correct that equities generally lead to across the board productivity gains. You're wrong to think that those gains are necessarily positive for the person making the investment. Putting money into the stock market in a global economy can be the equivalent of funding the economic development of your competitors. Some other country is going to get all the infrastructure, all the new wages, all the new taxes, and all the new experience and knowledge that investment is going to generate. While there are some good reasons to let loose the trust funds into the private sector, the supposed economic benefit to the US economy is grossly over-rated.

Quote:
But if people all over the world are pursuing similar rational investment strategies, its is a wash. they are investing as much in you as you are in them.

Besides, what differences does it make where the money is invested? If you carried that argument to its logical conclusion, people in Texas would only invest in Texas, and people in Dallas Texas would only invest in Dallas, and people in Highland Park Dallas, would only invest in Highland Park, and people on Mockingbird Lane would only invest on Mockingbird Lane. the bottom line is we don't need that many lemonade stands, which is about all you would have to invest in.
It's not a wash if you consider the local impact the investment has on you outside of the simplistic bottom line of your portfolio.

If you invest in a local company - say a regional hospital chain or a regional bank - you get to double dip on the benefit of your investment. You not only get the potential return from owning the equity, you also get the added boost from improving your local economy. That means more jobs, better infrastructure, and a lower tax burden for you. Helping a company expand its local facilities offers you benefits beyond the net profit/loss on the bottom of your statement.

Nobody ever considers that when they invest. All they care about is "what's my rate of return?" Well, if you live next to a Ford plant and you're investing in Toyota then you get what you deserve when Ford shuts down that factory and your property value drops in half.

There's more to responsible, logical investing than the year-end percentage gain. We need to recognize that fact before letting loose the trust funds for people to do with what they wish. I would have no problem putting part of the trust into investments that directly benefited the US. I'm just not ready to see that SS money start flowing into new factories, power plants, and highways in China.

There are market sectors where you can invest for the benefit of the local economy: health care delivery, raw materials, insurance and financials, etc. But you need to take the time and effort to do it right. Few people do - and very few people will do it with there SS money if they are given power over it.

Actually, now that I think about it, guys like you may actually want to invest in Dell. If enough people do so the Mexican economy will boom and all of the illegals will actually start heading south looking for jobs. I guess that's one way to cure the immigration problem.

Cheers,
Mazo.
Mazomaniac is offline   Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:02 PM   #40
Mazomaniac
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW5Traveler View Post
I'm really, really curious how the US national debt has an impact on whether state pension plans are fully funded.

Cheers,
Mazo.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:06 PM   #41
I B Hankering
Valued Poster

Encounters: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazomaniac View Post
Actually, now that I think about it, guys like you may actually want to invest in Dell. If enough people do so the Mexican economy will boom and all of the illegals will actually start heading south looking for jobs. I guess that's one way to cure the immigration problem.

Cheers,
Mazo.
Recanted
I B Hankering is offline   Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:08 PM   #42
charlestudor2005
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by I B Hankering View Post
But will they still be entitled to a free college education like they are in California?
You mean I can go to Stanford for free???
Old 01-04-2011, 10:13 PM   #43
pjorourke
Valued Poster

I hope you make a bundle on your lemonade stand Mazo.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:15 PM   #44
discreetgent
Valued Poster

Location: Even with a gorgeous avatar: Happiness is ephemeral

Quote:
I hope you make a bundle on your lemonade stand Mazo.
I'm sure getting all the necessary permits will eat up any profits.
discreetgent is offline   Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:19 PM   #45
Mazomaniac
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by I B Hankering View Post
But will they still be entitled to a free college education like they are in California?
Isn't it refreshing - in a thread partially dedicated to the spreading of blatant falsehoods for political purposes - to see somebody spreading a blatant falsehood for political purposes?

C'mon Hank. You're smart enough to check this out before posting it.

Cheers,
Mazo.

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women