Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > The Sandbox - National
The Sandbox - National The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 370
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 261
sharkman29 250
George Spelvin 243
Top Posters
DallasRain70365
biomed160193
Yssup Rider59821
gman4452826
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47410
pyramider46370
bambino40248
CryptKicker37052
Mokoa36482
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35112
Mojojo33117

Old 03-20-2011, 02:45 PM   #1
rednecksatyr
Valued Poster

Encounters: 1
Default Arthritis / Opiates for pain.

I have rheumatoid arthritis. The side effects from the modern medicines to treat RA have become so severe I can't take them. I am now faced with controlling the pain. For some reason the opiates (oxicontin for example) make me become a totally different person.

I am usually an amiable, tolerant, and friendly type. The opiates, even in very low doses of 5 milligrams, make me someone even I dont recognize. I become vindictive, revengeful, intolerant, and very outspoken. Unfortunately I seem to direct my outbursts towards people I really care about and love.

Any other arthritis victims on the forum? If so how do you combat the pain ? Any suggestions or solutions will be appreciated and read with great interest.
rednecksatyr is offline   Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 04:13 PM   #2
BreastLuvr
Valued Poster

Default Fish oil for treating arthritis

I am not an arthritis sufferer, at least not yet, but I would urge you in the strongest possible terms to begin taking, if you have not already done so, a pharmaceutical-grade fish oil supplement. I cannot guarantee just how much relief you will receive and it is important THAT YOU EXPECT PAIN RELIEF FROM FISH OIL TO BE A GRADUAL PROCESS; the essential fatty acids in fish oil will, over time, literally become an integral part of the membranes of every cell in your body. Fish oil is a natural anti-inflammatory par excellence. (Please refrigerate fish oil after you open the container; the EFAs in fish oil are very sensitive to light, heat and oxygen.)

Take a look at the following articles with respect to the use of fish oil for treating arthritis pain:

http://search.lef.org/cgi-src-bin/Ms...%20treating%20

http://search.lef.org/cgi-src-bin/Ms...%20treating%20
BreastLuvr is offline   Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 10:52 PM   #3
Chica Chaser
Premium Access

Encounters: 7

Naturally we are talking about prescription medication here. Lets make sure we focus in that direction.
Chica Chaser is offline   Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 11:20 PM   #4
goodtiminme
Gaining Momentum

Encounters: 18

I've heard a lot about the fish oil thing, but as with any supplement it is deemed by the FDA to be a "dietary supplement" that means the FDA only regulates it if people start coming down with mercury poison or some such from them... So be cautions, if you have a doctor ask them which supplements they think are safe, do your own research and be careful. Also make sure you only take supplements that contain only one active ingredient, they don't always take into account any adverse reactions two ingredients together might have...

As far as prescription meds go, there are several options, but again talk to your doctor. There are some non-steroidal anti inflamitories (think prescription strength tylanol) but theyer mostly short term use. Can use some of them them intermittently though. There's also some steroidal therapies such as cortisone shots, but among the drawbacks to those is they can decrease your immune system over time. Talk to your doctor though, might be able to find a good mix that balances the benefits and minimizes the side effects. Might also be able to control the personality changes opioids do to you with some types of anti-depressants but idk so much about that so again talk to your physician.

Another non-prescription (depending on what state you live in) is pot, works for some people might work for you.
goodtiminme is offline   Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 11:39 PM   #5
BreastLuvr
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chica Chaser View Post
Naturally we are talking about prescription medication here. Lets make sure we focus in that direction.
I can understand a healthy dose of skepticism when it comes to nutritional supplements, but the health benefits associated with fish oil supplementation are exceedingly well documented. Feel free to read, in their entirety, the articles for which I posted links or take your pick of the 432 articles posted on WebMD (http://www.webmd.com/search/search_results/default.aspx?query=omega%203%2 0fish%20oil&sourceType=undefin ed ), 15 of which are specific to rheumatoid arthritis, the poster's condition.

It may be worth emphasizing a couple of additional points with respect to fish oil supplements. The cardiovascular benefits of fish oil consumption are particularly well chronicled, including their ability to drastically slash triglycerides and forestall the fatal arrthymias that often occur in the course of heart attacks. Although it is certainly beneficial to ingest omega-3s by actually eating fish, "pharmaceutial-grade" fish oil supplements concentrate EPA and DHA, the essential fatty acids contained therein, at levels significantly higher than they naturally occur in fish, while eliminating the impurities found in mercury and other toxins, through a process known as molecular distillation. Be sure to refrigerate fish oil supplements after opening them; omega-3 fatty acids are extremely sensitive to heat, light and oxygen.
BreastLuvr is offline   Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 01:04 AM   #6
Woody Long
BANNED

Encounters: 3

I have the same experience with opiates I turn into a Mr Hyde type of character I don't like. Thus I tend to stay away from them except for an extreme sore throat
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednecksatyr View Post
. For some reason the opiates (oxicontin for example) make me become a totally different person.

I am usually an amiable, tolerant, and friendly type. The opiates, even in very low doses of 5 milligrams, make me someone even I dont recognize. I become vindictive, revengeful, intolerant, and very outspoken. .
Woody Long is offline   Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 01:25 AM   #7
TexTushHog
Professional Tush Hog.

Talk to your rheumatologist and, if necessasary, ask him (or her) to set up a consult with a pain doc.
TexTushHog is offline   Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 02:18 AM   #8
Chica Chaser
Premium Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreastLuvr View Post
I can understand a healthy dose of skepticism when it comes to nutritional supplements,
No, thats not what I meant, LOL! I was referring to sticking to the guidelines here regarding illicit substances since the first post referred to oxy. I think there are many herbal/nutritional supplements out there that are quite beneficial for many things.
Chica Chaser is offline   Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 05:27 PM   #9
Cayman02
Valued Poster

Encounters: 69

Fish oil, can't hurt and might help butso can placebo, that is why you run clinical trials. It depends on what you mean by "modern medicines" for RA treatment. Methotrexate is an old but tried and true agent, Arava (leflunomide) if you are not of child bearing potential, Enbrel and Rituxan are also available and big guns. All these are not risk free (what is, look at the board you are posting on) and require careful monitoring. There are a lot more RA agents now than 15 years ago. See your doc. Also, effects of opiates can be idiosyncratic. Try another one if necessary. Good luck.
Cayman02 is offline   Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 07:52 PM   #10
TexTushHog
Professional Tush Hog.

BTW, are you sure that you're Rheumatologist has tried all the RA drugs? Azulfidine is one that is not frequently used as a first line drug, but can be very effective if you don't have any side effects. I assume you've tried the injectable gold compounds like Auronopin. Get a second opinion from a Rheumatologist, too.
TexTushHog is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women