Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > The Political Forum
The Political Forum Discuss anything related to politics in this forum. World politics, US Politics, State and Local.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 370
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 262
sharkman29 250
George Spelvin 244
Top Posters
DallasRain70380
biomed160286
Yssup Rider59844
gman4452863
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47426
pyramider46370
bambino40274
CryptKicker37064
Mokoa36485
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35144
Mojojo33117

Old 12-19-2016, 10:59 AM   #1
ElisabethWhispers
Female

User ID: 863
My Bio Page
My ECCIE Reviews
Default Best book about Patton???

I know asking this question here is like asking ... oh I don't know.

But I'm looking for a last minute holiday gift and I'd like to get this person a book about General Patton.

What is the best biography out there about him? Signing into Amazon now but if anyone has a suggestion, I'd appreciate it!!!

Thanks,
Elisabeth
ElisabethWhispers is offline   Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 11:02 AM   #2
ElisabethWhispers
Female

User ID: 863
My Bio Page
My ECCIE Reviews

The only answer that I could find on Quora was this recommendation:

https://www.amazon.com/Patton-Genius.../dp/0060927623

Patton. Genius of War.

Has anyone read this book?
ElisabethWhispers is offline   Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 11:56 AM   #3
Unique_Carpenter
Off clock with a Cowgirl

Encounters: 89

The book by Tang is more recent than others but I haven't seen that.

The book by David Smith is decent. Includes a lot of references to outside sources which some folks like, but others think dry.

There's a couple others, including the one you found.

I would suggest picking whichever book has decent sections on his west point and virgina military academy days along with his action in the Pancho Villa Expedition, which some think was a foundation of his later move fast / stike fast methodology.

Last, if the giftee is a Patton buff, seriously consider adding a book about Rommel. There's a couple about Rommel's earlier North African campaign that are nice (before Patton kicked his azz).
Unique_Carpenter is offline   Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 12:03 PM   #4
gary5912
Account Disabled

Encounters: 14

Bill Oreily has a book out called Killing Patton. They say his books are good
gary5912 is offline   Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 01:18 PM   #5
cptjohnstone
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary5912 View Post
Bill Oreily has a book out called Killing Patton. They say his books are good
his books are the best I have ever read
cptjohnstone is offline   Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 02:19 PM   #6
I B Hankering
Valued Poster

Encounters: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElisabethWhispers View Post
The only answer that I could find on Quora was this recommendation:

https://www.amazon.com/Patton-Genius.../dp/0060927623

Patton. Genius of War.

Has anyone read this book?
I have not read that particular book, but I've read two other books by that author (Bitter Victory: The Battle for Sicily, 1943 and Fatal Decision: Anzio and the Battle for Rome), and historian Carlo D'Este is both an outstanding writer and a highly respected WWII historian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjohnstone View Post
his books are the best I have ever read

+1

He's as good as or better than Cornelius Ryan was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unique_Carpenter View Post
The book by Tang is more recent than others but I haven't seen that.

The book by David Smith is decent. Includes a lot of references to outside sources which some folks like, but others think dry.

There's a couple others, including the one you found.

I would suggest picking whichever book has decent sections on his west point and virgina military academy days along with his action in the Pancho Villa Expedition, which some think was a foundation of his later move fast / stike fast methodology.

Last, if the giftee is a Patton buff, seriously consider adding a book about Rommel. There's a couple about Rommel's earlier North African campaign that are nice (before Patton kicked his azz).

+1

Knight's Cross

I B Hankering is offline   Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 03:32 PM   #7
Unique_Carpenter
Off clock with a Cowgirl

Encounters: 89

I have to veto (this is the polysci forum) the Killing Patton book cause that's only the last couple years of his life.
A nice write, but can't be considered a biography.
Unique_Carpenter is offline   Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 09:36 PM   #8
DSK
Account Disabled

Encounters: 19

Quote:

But I'm looking for a last minute holiday gift and I'd like to get this person a book about General Patton.

What is the best biography out there about him? Signing into Amazon now but if anyone has a suggestion, I'd appreciate it!!!

Thanks,
Elisabeth
That movie about him where George C. Scott played Patton was a most excellent movie.
DSK is offline   Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 10:02 PM   #9
IIFFOFRDB
Account Disabled

Ask Donald J Trump... He knows...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDIPKuhyZYg
IIFFOFRDB is offline   Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 10:04 PM   #10
I B Hankering
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSK View Post
That movie about him where George C. Scott played Patton was a most excellent movie.
+1

That movie was based on military historian Ladislas Farago's book, Patton: Ordeal and Triumph, a book I did read ... in high school. It's also very good.

Old 12-21-2016, 08:41 AM   #11
DSK
Account Disabled

Encounters: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by I B Hankering View Post
+1

That movie was based on military historian Ladislas Farago's book, Patton: Ordeal and Triumph, a book I did read ... in high school. It's also very good.

I don't read as many books as I used to, what with the internet news and all.

I might have to pick that one up and read it over the Christmas break. BTW, I give my employees Christmas off, and I refer to it as Christmas. I hope others do, also.
DSK is offline   Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 09:21 AM   #12
Rey Lengua
Valued Poster

Encounters: 21

Quote:

Thanks,
Elisabeth
You might consider " War As I Knew It " , Patton's memoirs published posthumously in 1947. Not sure if it's still in print or if the books stores can get it. Might try Amazon. Since most of it was written by him, it gives a different perspective than that of someone " ghostwriting " or some egg-head historian. Good luck and Merry CHRISTMAS.
Rey Lengua is offline   Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 03:25 PM   #13
Chica Chaser
Premium Access

Encounters: 7

I stopped in at this place a few moths ago, awesome!
Its in the middle of Desert NoPlace California, but well worth the time.

http://generalpattonmuseum.com/

Chica Chaser is offline   Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 03:32 PM   #14
I B Hankering
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chica Chaser View Post
I stopped in at this place a few moths ago, awesome!
Its in the middle of Desert NoPlace California, but well worth the time.

http://generalpattonmuseum.com/

+1

Quote:

Date: January 1946
Place: Bad Nauheim, Wetteraukreis, Hesse, Germany
Photographer: Unknown

General George S. Patton’s dog “Willie,” mourns the loss of his master and friend after his death in an automobile accident in occupied Germany, 1946. General George S. Patton led U.S. armies in World War II. He was notorious for his strong opinions and inability to avoid controversies. In life he was called “Old Blood and Guts.” His death has been a subject of mystery and intrigue. Although his commanding style was domineering, some might say bullying, and he had some definite anger management issues, General Patton was a devoted dog lover. He bought the first of many Bull Terriers for his daughters just after World War I. Although Tank turned out to be totally deaf, he always somehow knew when General Patton was to arrive home and met him at the front door. He bought the famous Willie in 1944 and wrote about him: "…my bull pup . . . took to me like a duck to water. He is 15 months old, pure white except for a little lemin [sic] on his tail which to a cursory glance would seem to indicate that he had not used toilet paper..." Willie was devoted to the general and followed him everywhere. General Patton doted on Willie and even threw a birthday party for him. The general wrote in his diary on July 15th, 1944 "Willie is crazy about me and almost has a fit when I come back to camp. He snores too and is company at night.” On his encounter with General Patton and Willie, cartoonist Bill Mauldlin wrote: "Beside him, lying in a big chair was Willie, the bull terrier. If ever dog was suited to master this one was. Willie had his beloved boss's expression and lacked only the ribbons and stars. I stood in that door staring into the four meanest eyes I'd ever seen." Willie patton's dog Sadly, one day before Patton was to return to the United States in December, 1945, he was involved in an automobile accident which broke his neck and he died a few days later. Willie was sent home to live out the rest of his life as the beloved dog of a fallen warrior with the general’s wife and daughters. This picture of Willie, a lost little dog, was taken a few days after the general’s death as preparations were made to send home his effects. A book, "Target: Patton: The Plot to Assassinate General George S. Patton", published in 2008, claims that General Patton was murdered to keep him from revealing secrets that would have ruined important careers and changed history. A 12-foot high bronze statue of Patton and Willie stands today at the General Patton Memorial Museum thirty miles east of Indio, California.

Source:
NARA FILE #: 208-PU-153C-14.WAR & CONFLICT #: 754

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women