Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > A Question of Legality
A Question of Legality Post your legal questions here (general, nothing of a personal nature)

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 370
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 262
sharkman29 250
George Spelvin 244
Top Posters
DallasRain70380
biomed160272
Yssup Rider59841
gman4452859
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47421
pyramider46370
bambino40274
CryptKicker37064
Mokoa36485
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35137
Mojojo33117

Old 08-03-2010, 05:30 PM   #1
TxBrandy
Account Disabled

User ID: 5895
My ECCIE Reviews
Default Learned something new today

"
The high court said for the first time that a suspect's request for a lawyer is good for only 14 days after the person is released from police custody. The 9-0 ruling pulled back from an earlier decision that said that police must halt all questioning for all time if a suspect asks for a lawyer.

Police can now attempt to question a suspect who asked for a lawyer — once the person has been released from custody for at least two weeks — without violating the person's constitutional rights and without having to repeat the Miranda warning.

"In our judgment, 14 days will provide plenty of time for the suspect to get reacclimated to his normal life, to consult with friends and counsel and to shake off any residual coercive effects of his prior custody," said Justice Antonin Scalia, who wrote the majority opinion.

And finally, the court's conservatives used their 5-4 advantage to rule that suspects must break their silence and tell police they are going to remain quiet if they want to invoke their "right to remain silent" and stop an interrogation, just as they must tell police that they want a lawyer."
TxBrandy is offline   Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:30 PM   #2
yardape
Valued Poster

You're looking at SCOTUS trying to deal with some police practices that spin from the tactic generally described as, "Question first, then warn," or "Going around Miranda." You see a lot of stuff in the cases about "attenuation" and "break in the chain." It's been going on for 25 years or longer. I guess they decided they needed to lay down some brighter-line rules or they were never going to escape having to decide as many as a half-dozen Miranda cases every year. Criminal defense attorneys will need to know their own States' custodial interrogation-confession laws backwards & forwards and be alert to the possibility that an incriminating statement could have been obtained by coercion or inducements as opposed to technical violations of Miranda. That'll still keep a confession out.
yardape is offline   Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:56 PM   #3
TxBrandy
Account Disabled

My ECCIE Reviews

In looking at this 14 day rule - am I right to assume that I can still remain silent and still seek counsel for 14 days after being released? Then they would have to re-mirandize me for the same charge?
Old 08-04-2010, 01:01 PM   #4
yardape
Valued Poster

Presumptively, as I recall the case.

LE could try to get around a failure to re-Mirandize you by claiming you spontaneously volunteered an incriminating statement. Or if they approached you and established custody and you let your mouth put the cuffs on you they could try to rely on one of Miranda's exceptions from earlier cases, like emergency or public safety. But LE would have the burden to prove the exception applies.
yardape is offline   Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:38 PM   #5
Sidewinder
Lifetime Premium Access

The rule is this: If the police pull you in, you say NOTHING beyond "I want an attorney, NOW." No matter WHAT they say, you reply "I want an attorney, NOW." Those are the ONLY words you say to them. Until they give you an attorney, you say NOTHING but those five words.
Sidewinder is offline   Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:11 PM   #6
Dharma
Pending Age Verification

User ID: 1673
My ECCIE Reviews

Do you mean we shouldn't say "this one time at band camp"? Just yanking your chain. There's a thread on what to do and not do somewhere around here.

http://www.eccie.net/showthread.php?...%27re+arrested

That's not it but would someone post the link to the thread?
Dharma is offline   Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:12 PM   #7
TxBrandy
Account Disabled

My ECCIE Reviews

I wrote an article (or I should say copied and pasted) an article in the first issue of my newsletter about what to do when being questioned by the police. Which of course is say nothing. Apparently now though you have to tell them that you are saying nothing so that when you say nothing they can't use it against you. Wait.. what?

Did they just change this crap in order to confuse people?
Old 08-06-2010, 09:25 PM   #8
Lacey Companion
Pending Age Verification

User ID: 29123
My ECCIE Reviews

It's all designed to tax us with the burden of proving our innocence and they secretly meet in the smoke to figure out how to shift your funds to their purposes. The next level of people are unaware of the vast control of the top people but are masters of applying the principals... both knowingly and unknowingly, dependent upon who you are; as some of this gear is ran by inherent operation with no question of purpose or tactics discussed; just jurisprudence and cash for clean up at so many levels in a world designed by chaos and defined by power to the fact that we are stuplified and blind (if you will). So we smile and make somebody's day and hope we don't get caught in such a societal trap of the top 1%... hmmm, seems the choice is to be illegal, immoral or both no matter what we represent!

Kinda the same idea as seven different uses for the word "FUCK"...lol

Geez, maybe if someone opened this thread up to the media we might get a lil respect as not being the hosers and hose-monsters living up to our necks with drugs and filth: as the brain washed 'outsiders to the hobby' tend to believe- because they too operate inherently; especially in the thinking department. After all, I am your sister, your daughter, your mother and (roflmao) your "fucking" X... and that's in the literal form of "Fuck"...

But you guys are right "shutting the FUCK" up (see, there it is again) is what you have to do in this country. It's our founding principals and thrives today in all walks of life... good, bad or ugly... nothing at all like the ants.

*BIG GRINS*
Lacey Companion is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women