Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > Diamonds and Tuxedos
Diamonds and Tuxedos Glamour, elegance, and sophistication. That's what it's all about here in ECCIE's newest forum which caters to those with expensive tastes, lavish lifestyles, and an appetite for upscale entertainment.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 373
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 262
sharkman29 250
George Spelvin 247
Top Posters
DallasRain70403
biomed160460
Yssup Rider59887
gman4452912
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47496
pyramider46370
bambino40304
CryptKicker37077
Mokoa36485
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35300
Mojojo33117

Old 02-24-2011, 01:06 PM   #16
nevergaveitathought
Valued Poster

Default The will of the People

It can be ever changing, that will. It can fluctuate daily perhaps.

We could have, potentially, a plebecite, a direct democracy, everyone vote via Iphone, ala american idol, or we could accept polls taken by pollsters as representative of the people, or, finally, as obama himself stated, "john, we had that debate already and i won".

I, myself, would tend to agree with obama, that elections have consequences, those you like and those you don't like.

The only way we have, under our republican form of government, to assess the will of the people, is to have elections.

You may say that elections do not represent the will of all the people as only a minority vote. I say, so what?

The next election is how you properly cure the current election.

For any group of elected representatives to hide out and abandon their position of entrustment is to defeat the form of government we all have pledged allegiance to, if we have, in fact, recited that pledge freely or accepted it as ours in some way.

To run and hide is an attempt at nothing more than to defeat the will of the people as known by Americans and it is the taking of the people's vote, and the making of it worthless.
nevergaveitathought is offline   Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:27 PM   #17
Mazomaniac
Valued Poster

I assume, then, that all of those criticizing the Wisconsin Dems for "not doing their jobs" are prepared to be equally critical of Republican Senators refusing to move on nominations of federal judges for the same reasons.

See this article for some background.

Please don't be shy about jumping on these lazy Republicans for holding up the democratic process.

Cheers,
Mazo.
Mazomaniac is offline   Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:54 PM   #18
I B Hankering
Valued Poster

Encounters: 9
Default It’s neither.

The will of the people was expressed during the last election, was it not? What the absent Democrats are doing is by definition not a parliamentary maneuver, because by invoking such a term as “parliamentary maneuver” one is suggesting a legitimate and accepted procedure to accomplish a political goal. That is not the case here. In fact, what the absent Democrats are doing in Wisconsin is a felony.

Part 946.12, Section 1, of Wisconsin state law says that a class 1 felony is committed when a public official “intentionally fails or refuses to perform a known mandatory, nondiscretionary, ministerial duty of the officer’s or employee’s office or employment within the time or in the manner required by law.”
I B Hankering is offline   Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:58 PM   #19
topsgt38801
Valued Poster

Encounters: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazomaniac View Post
I assume, then, that all of those criticizing the Wisconsin Dems for "not doing their jobs" are prepared to be equally critical of Republican Senators refusing to move on nominations of federal judges for the same reasons.

Please don't be shy about jumping on these lazy Republicans for holding up the democratic process.

Cheers,
Mazo.
I have no favorites when it comes to jumping on politicians that do not do their jobs. I have chastized my republican senators and I take no prisoners when it comes to politicians. I do not care their political affiliation, if they are not doing their job or doing something they should not be doing I am an equal opportunity butt kicker. I personally do not think any of them are doing the people's business after a little exposure to the political arena whether local, state or federal. I firmly believe in term limits for all as the only tool to stop the destruction of our government.

As for the article, Democrats have been equally guilty of the same types of political shenanigans and if we throw rocks at one group, we need to throw them at all of the groups.
topsgt38801 is offline   Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 03:14 PM   #20
Mazomaniac
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsgt38801 View Post
As for the article, Democrats have been equally guilty of the same types of political shenanigans and if we throw rocks at one group, we need to throw them at all of the groups.
This is quite possibly the single thing that you and I will ever agree on when it comes to politics, but well said.

Cheers,
Mazo.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:14 PM   #21
Texas Contrarian
Lifetime Premium Access

Quote:

Although I oppose the tactics of Wisconsin's Democratic Party lawmakers, I agree with you that the practice of denying a vote by means of an anonymous hold is a cheap trick.

My view is very simple: Elections have consequences. If you don't like what politicians do, vote against 'em the next chance you get!
Texas Contrarian is offline   Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 03:20 PM   #22
WTF
Lifetime Premium Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergaveitathought View Post
To run and hide is an attempt at nothing more than to defeat the will of the people as known by Americans and it is the taking of the people's vote, and the making of it worthless.
How so?... there is another election coming soon enough, one where the people can vote out anyone they so choose.

It might not be instant gratification but the wheels of justice turn slowly.

Be patient Grasshopper......and watch whatcaya wish for. Those they throw out next go-round just might surprise you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainMidnight View Post
My view is very simple: Elections have consequences. If you don't like what politicians do, vote against 'em the next chance you get!
That is exactly what the voters can do. I have no idea why anyone is crying about these Senators actions. They very well might get voted out next election. Or the WI Gov might go, who knows.
WTF is offline   Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 03:27 PM   #23
WTF
Lifetime Premium Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by I B Hankering View Post
That is not the case here. In fact, what the absent Democrats are doing in Wisconsin is a felony. Part 946.12, Section 1, of Wisconsin state law says that a class 1 felony is committed when a public official “intentionally fails or refuses to perform a known mandatory, nondiscretionary, ministerial duty of the officer’s or employee’s office or employment within the time or in the manner required by law.”
What law compells them to be there? There is no law that states they must do such and such. I saw the legal debate on Fox and Judge Napalatiano see's it different than you I B. I tend to believe the judge.
WTF is offline   Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 03:33 PM   #24
I B Hankering
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTF View Post
What law compells them to be there? There is no law that states they must do such and such. I saw the legal debate on Fox and Judge Napalatiano see's it different than you I B. I tend to believe the judge.
Cited and quoted above. Need more help? http://legis.wisconsin.gov/statutes/Stat0946.pdf
Old 02-24-2011, 03:37 PM   #25
nevergaveitathought
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTF View Post
How so?... there is another election coming soon enough, one where the people can vote out anyone they so choose.

It might not be instant gratification but the wheels of justice turn slowly.

Be patient Grasshopper......and watch whatcaya wish for. Those they throw out next go-round just might surprise you.

even though i tend to like you i have to tell you that its hard to argue with you

where do you want the wheel to stop? the next election can't solve things either if the minority then runs and hides also..its ad infinitum

the next election can reverse things should it be the people's will, but once you accept the premise that it's fine to cut and run, where does that end?

and yes, the people's will is thwarted in the very first instance, uncured by any other election.
nevergaveitathought is offline   Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 03:39 PM   #26
Mazomaniac
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by I B Hankering View Post
In fact, what the absent Democrats are doing in Wisconsin is a felony. Part 946.12, Section 1, of Wisconsin state law says that a class 1 felony is committed when a public official “intentionally fails or refuses to perform a known mandatory, nondiscretionary, ministerial duty of the officer’s or employee’s office or employment within the time or in the manner required by law.”
Under the Wisconsin Senate Rule 73 a Senator's vote is only compelled while they are physically present at a session where a matter is put to vote.

Rules 81 and 84 allow a quorum call where Senators can be "sent for" and "brought in" but there is nothing in the rules compelling them to answer or attend to the call.

So nice try, but this doesn't apply.

BUT!!!

Since you mention it, the Wisconsin Senate Republicans ARE actually breaking the rules.

The Republicans have put out a quorum call to try and bring the Dems back in. But under Senate Rule 83 all members already present when a quorum call is made are supposed to stay in the Senate chamber with the doors locked until the missing members come in. The Republicans haven't done that. They voted for the call and then went home.

So, in fact, it's the Republican members who have committed a felony under the code section you quoted. Their presence in the chamber is a mandatory, non-discretionary act once they started a quorum call. They're the ones who are breaking the law.

I'll just assume that you're completely outraged by the blatant and felonious disregard of the law the Republicans are showing and that you'll immediately post a major rant about it here ASAP.

Cheers!
Mazo.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:49 PM   #27
I B Hankering
Valued Poster

Quote:
Under the Wisconsin Senate Rule 73 a Senator's vote is only compelled while they are physically present at a session where a matter is put to vote.

Rules 81 and 84 allow a quorum call where Senators can be "sent for" and "brought in" but there is nothing in the rules compelling them to answer or attend to the call.

So nice try, but this doesn't apply.

BUT!!!

Since you mention it, the Wisconsin Senate Republicans ARE actually breaking the rules.

The Republicans have put out a quorum call to try and bring the Dems back in. But under Senate Rule 83 all members already present when a quorum call is made are supposed to stay in the Senate chamber with the doors locked until the missing members come in. The Republicans haven't done that. They voted for the call and then went home.

So, in fact, it's the Republican members who have committed a felony under the code section you quoted. Their presence in the chamber is a mandatory, non-discretionary act once they started a quorum call. They're the ones who are breaking the law.

I'll just assume that you're completely outraged by the blatant and felonious disregard of the law the Republicans are showing and that you'll immediately post a major rant about it here ASAP.

Cheers!
Mazo.
No, your ranting is quite enough. But I would advise you, in the next election, to vote for someone who knows when and where the Wisconsin legislature assembles when it’s in session. That guy you have now seems to be a bit lost.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:50 PM   #28
topsgt38801
Valued Poster

Encounters: 6

Quote:
This is quite possibly the single thing that you and I will ever agree on when it comes to politics, but well said.

Cheers,
Mazo.
I bet if we sat down and talked man to man we would agree on a lot more of the issues of our system being broke and could probably find better solutions for the problems than the politicians do. That is the total problem that both sides do not want to give any they only want to take. Being a retired soldier, I know that is the type of environment that starts wars. I can see your points and I understand we have differences of opinions on many issues, but I also know if the right intent is there, nothing is insurmountable.
topsgt38801 is offline   Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 04:14 PM   #29
Rudyard K
Lifetime Premium Access

Encounters: 2

I appear to be late to this party...

Quote:
OK, I'm going to partially out myself here for the sake of the thread:

I happen to live in Wisconsin, very near Madison as a matter of fact. My state senator is actual the Dem leader. I've been down to the capitol to watch this thing live and I have to say it's one of the coolest things I've seen in a long, long time. Nothing better than democracy in the streets!

I personally don't have a dog in this fight and I'm pretty much on the fence on the union rights thing. However, I TOTALLY support what the Democrats are doing with the walkout because it's not just about union rights.

The Republicans tried to rush this thing through ala the Patriot Act.

Interesting that you chose the Patriot Act, rather than ObamaCare (since it is the more current example) as an example, but be that as it may...

It turns out that there's lots more in it besides the union killer. The bill also allows the Governor to sell the state's publicly owned power plants without competitive bidding - something that will grossly benefit the Koch brothers who literally paid his way into office. It also allows the Governor to strip Medicare and other state health benefits without the approval of the legislature. The union part is getting all the press attention, but it's about a lot more than that.

Interesting. I was unaware of that. While I'm not sure that the Gov option to sell power plants would "grossly benefit the Kochs", I agree that it has no business on this bill...nor the issues related to state health benefits.

The Republicans tried to come in and ram this thing through before the public knew what hit them. The Democrats are holding it up so that people can see what's really going on and have a chance to at least express its opinion. The state assembly is also getting into the act now. They're offering hundreds of amendments to the bill in order to stall it in that house as well. It's ballsiest showing from the state Dems I've seen in a long time.

As far as the tactics, I'm all for 'em. The reason you need a supermajority quorum for spending bills here is to prevent exactly what the Republicans tried to do. That provision is in there so you can slow down the process. The Democrats are doing the right thing by using the rule as it was intended to be used - stalling the bill and giving the public time to react to it.

This is probably where I differ most. I detest all the tactics...on both sides of the aisle. These people...all of them...are elected to pass or or defeat legislation. While I certainly agree that there does need to be adequate time to review legislation for appropriateness, these tactics are "generally" not for that purpose.

Like any governing board...there is not agreement on every issue. But the members express themsleves as articulate as they can, and try to sell their position, and they either win the minds of the other members, or they don't. The tactics really serve to defeat the concept of the "greater good comes from many minds"...not foster it.

And before we hear the inevitable whine about how it's always the Dems using such tactics: go and check out the Republican record in Congress on the appointment of cabinet members and federal judges. The same story goes on up there as well. It's just that under the federal rule you don't need to leave Washington in order to hold up the country.

No whine from me. As I said, I detest the tactics. But if you want to condem something, you have to depise the tactics, and condem the actor...no matter from where he comes.

I also read you article about the judicial appointments...and, on the surface, that also appears BS-ish. But real world stuff says that "the squeaky wheel gets the grease" and if OB ain't really squeaking much...the fact that his appointments take longer is not, in and of itself, conslusive of excessive shennanigans. But there is plenty there that has quite an odor.

Cheers,
Mazo.
Rudyard K is offline   Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 04:16 PM   #30
TexTushHog
Professional Tush Hog.

Encounters: 7

Rules can be swords or shields. I don't know the procedure in Wisconsin, but in most States, the legislative body votes on the rules the first day of the session. Rules like these are there for a purpose. They're there to 1) prevent a rump body from conducting business; and 2) to give small factions a de facto veto power over extreme actions (much like the 2/3's suspension rule in the Texas Senate).

One can debate whether such rules are good or bad. But once they rules are in place, it's pretty hard to criticize the players for using them to their utmost advantage. That's what rules of for -- to use to bludgeon your opponent with, if you can. To set the lines of what is allowed versus what is not allowed. To be the structure by which you gain advantage over your opponent. Simple as that.

Everybody agreed on the rules before the session started. They shouldn't whine now that somebody has figured out how to use them to their own ends.
TexTushHog is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women