Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > Diamonds and Tuxedos
Diamonds and Tuxedos Glamour, elegance, and sophistication. That's what it's all about here in ECCIE's newest forum which caters to those with expensive tastes, lavish lifestyles, and an appetite for upscale entertainment.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 370
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 261
sharkman29 250
George Spelvin 243
Top Posters
DallasRain70365
biomed160193
Yssup Rider59821
gman4452826
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47407
pyramider46370
bambino40248
CryptKicker37054
Mokoa36482
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35112
Mojojo33117

Thread Closed

Old 05-20-2011, 07:02 AM   #1
Marshall
BANNED

Default $2M Michigan lottery winner defends use of food stamps

$2M Michigan lottery winner defends use of food stamps

By Detroit News detroit News Wed May 18, 1:27 pm ET

Ron French, Detroit News staff writer
A Michigan man who won $2 million in a state lottery game continues to collect food stamps 11 months after striking it rich.
And there's nothing the state can do about it, at least for now.
Leroy Fick, 59, of Auburn won $2 million in the state lottery TV show "Make Me Rich!" last June. But the state's Department of Human Services determined he was still eligible for food stamps, Fick's attorney, John Wilson of Midland, said Tuesday.
Eligibility for food stamps is based on gross income and follows federal guidelines; lottery winnings are considered liquid assets and don't count as income. As long as Fick's gross income stays below the eligibility requirement for food stamps, he can receive them, even if he has a million dollars in the bank.
Food stamps are paid for through tax dollars and are meant to help support low-income families.
"If you're going to try to make me feel bad, you're not going to do it," Fick told WNEM-TV in Saginaw on Monday.
Wilson said Fick told the DHS officials he'd won $2 million but was told he could keep using the Bridge Card issued to him to buy groceries.
Fick could not be reached for comment Tuesday.
Al Kimichik, director of the office of inspector general for DHS, said the department could not comment on individual cases but that it this week began the process of requesting a waiver from the federal government to close the lottery loophole. If it is granted, assets would be counted in determining food stamp eligibility.
Though the food stamp program is federal and states must follow U.S. guidelines, states sometimes request waivers of rules. Michigan was granted a waiver recently to stop college students from qualifying for food stamps.
"For Leroy Fick to continue to use a Bridge Card, paid for by the taxpayers, after winning the lottery, is obscene," said Sen. Rick Jones, R-Grand Ledge. "What a waste of taxpayer money."
Jones contacted DHS officials Monday about Fick's case, and was told the department's hands were tied by federal regulations.
"There is no liquid asset requirement for getting food stamps," Jones said. "The department is asking the federal government for an immediate change (in policy). They're hoping this case will help the federal government act."
Until then, Fick can collect food stamps and keep his lottery winnings in the bank.
"I am not going to sit and debate the ethics of this," Wilson said. "But from his standpoint, he did what he was supposed to do -- he informed the state, and the state said he could keep using the card. The problem is with the state."
Old 05-20-2011, 07:06 AM   #2
NinaBrooke
Account Disabled

User ID: 59709

(lol) we had a similar scenario in austria with some actors who live fancy but collected social welfare during periods of not working as actors, because the money they earned while working was not considered eligible for the time period they had no income. :-))
gross.
At least the guy did inform authorities ..
Old 05-20-2011, 07:22 PM   #3
atlcomedy
Valued Poster

I'm sure it was income when they taxed it but after that it makes sense if the dumbasses in Michigan didn't add some kind of asset test.

I'm not sure what the threshold is, but in Georgia they have one. There are some exclusions like a personal automobile and home, but if you got more than $x dollars in the bank etc. you can't participate in certain programs.

Should he do it? Is it abuse? I think bright people can take different views on this. The quick answer is to say this is an outrage. But consider, he qualifies for the program, why not take it? How is this any different than some of us "avoiding taxes," which is perfectly legal? Ostensibly at some point he was paying into the system?

This is the government. It isn't like he's taking from a charity or his Church. I would find that despicable. I'm not sure I'd dod what he's doing (for a lot of reasons) but I wouldn't rush to judge...and...

...although this probably wasn't his rationale, but hopefully by doing what he's doing and the attention it is garnering, the Dumbasses in Meechagain will fix the loophole and add some kind of asset test.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:30 PM   #4
NinaBrooke
Account Disabled

User ID: 59709

well in austria (or europe) lottery winnings (or like) don`t count as income or as taxable. so strictly speaking he could collect welfare, because he CAN. If its ethical, no one knows.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:37 PM   #5
Doove
Valued Poster

Encounters: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlcomedy View Post
But consider, he qualifies for the program, why not take it? How is this any different than some of us "avoiding taxes," which is perfectly legal?
Or someone (who shall remain nameless - but we'll call him OP for reference's sake) preaching small government and then complaining because the big government just isn't quite big enough when he has his hand out.

Yeah, it's rather outrageous on its face, but it's also just another example of a single extreme example being used by certain folks to attempt to make a wide ranging political point.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:38 PM   #6
Marcus Aurelius
Ambassador

Encounters: 2
My ECCIE Reviews

I believe winnings are tax free in Canada as well.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:23 PM   #7
Guest050715-1
Account Disabled

User ID: 2746

Quote:
I'm sure it was income when they taxed it but after that it makes sense if the dumbasses in Michigan didn't add some kind of asset test.

I'm not sure what the threshold is, but in Georgia they have one. There are some exclusions like a personal automobile and home, but if you got more than $x dollars in the bank etc. you can't participate in certain programs.

Should he do it? Is it abuse? I think bright people can take different views on this. The quick answer is to say this is an outrage. But consider, he qualifies for the program, why not take it? How is this any different than some of us "avoiding taxes," which is perfectly legal? Ostensibly at some point he was paying into the system?

He is greedy and deplorable. It is also fuel for the anti-poor, conservative movement. He more money than many, many people earn in a lifetime to support himself with. He should be ashamed. This isn’t a game of chess, its money that could be constructively used elsewhere.

Quote:
This is the government. It isn't like he's taking from a charity or his Church. I would find that despicable. I'm not sure I'd dod what he's doing (for a lot of reasons) but I wouldn't rush to judge...and...

...although this probably wasn't his rationale, but hopefully by doing what he's doing and the attention it is garnering, the Dumbasses in Meechagain will fix the loophole and add some kind of asset test.
Food stamps and other entitlement programs are designed to keep people in perpetual poverty. In Texas, owning an automobile that is even SLIGHTLY nicer than a hoop-dee (I have no idea how to spell it.) exempts people from getting qualifying for food stamps and some other entitlement programs. How are these people supposed to get their kids to day care and then to work without cars? It’s despicable.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:49 PM   #8
Marshall
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doove View Post
Or someone (who shall remain nameless - but we'll call him OP for reference's sake) preaching small government and then complaining because the big government just isn't quite big enough when he has his hand out.

Yeah, it's rather outrageous on its face, but it's also just another example of a single extreme example being used by certain folks to attempt to make a wide ranging political point.

Your logic is flawed....fewer food stamp recipients is less government, more recipients is more government.....this article references federal guidelines......charity is not a constitutionally recognized function of government.....government is incompetent and corrupt [can we nickname Doove "Government"?]...if a Church was in charge of feeding those in need, I doubt millionaires would be getting free food [paid for by people who mostly are not millionaires!]
Thread Closed

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women