Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > Texas > Austin > The Sandbox - Austin
The Sandbox - Austin The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here. If it's NOT an adult-themed topic, then it belongs here

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 370
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 261
sharkman29 250
George Spelvin 245
Top Posters
DallasRain70365
biomed160193
Yssup Rider59821
gman4452826
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47407
pyramider46370
bambino40250
CryptKicker37054
Mokoa36482
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35112
Mojojo33117

Old 07-19-2018, 11:57 AM   #1
Treetop78759
Valued Poster

Encounters: 17
Default Is this illegal?

A very good friend of mine is a server at a very popular and very large restaurant.

She and all the servers and bartenders make great money and the majority of customers tip well. However, the majority of their AA customers don't tip and if they do it's not much.

There were days when she would get a majority of the AA customers and it killed her income. Sometimes two days in a row. The same thing would happen to others. One day they would get stuck with a chunk of the AA customers and their income would take a huge hit that day.

In order to fix the problem and make it as fair as possible management put a system in place where AA customers were never put in the same section back to back. This spread the risk amongst all of them as equally as possible. This solution has worked and everyone is fine with it.

I've heard the same thing about the national chain who always advertises ribs. They try really hard not to put AA customers in the same section back to back.

At the end of the work day it's about money so we can provide for our families and lifestyle. The same is true with them type people because they chose to keep more of their money and not tip.

Do people think it's wrong for a business to do this to them type people? Why would it be if the goal is about maximizing our income. They are not being turned away.

My main question is this. Is it illegal?
Treetop78759 is offline   Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 12:00 PM   #2
Unico
Lifetime Premium Access

Encounters: 3

Seriously, where your mind goes is scary.
Unico is offline   Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 12:02 PM   #3
SamAnthem
(Retired) Nuru Princess

User ID: 324507
My Bio Page
My ECCIE Reviews

Relying on tips as your main source of income means you don't value your time, and that's stupid. Maybe tell your friend to renegotiate her employment. Boom problem fixed
SamAnthem is offline   Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 12:30 PM   #4
ztonk

Encounters: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treetop78759 View Post
A very good friend of mine is a server at a very popular and very large restaurant.
There were days when she would get a majority of the AA customers and it killed her income.
Too bad she didn't accept your management offer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treetop78759 View Post
My main question is this. Is it illegal?
You might have better luck asking this in the forum where the lawyers hang out, unless you are just being provocative and not really interested in getting an answer.

z
ztonk is offline   Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 12:58 PM   #5
Agent220
Valued Poster

Encounters: 27

To me this is something that should go into the Sandbox and not Co-Ed unless you have this "relating back" to the hobby.

To answer your question Tree (I am not a licensed attorney nor went to law school), I don't see this being a problem for the establishment.

Looking at this from a management standpoint (part of my degree background), there isn't any liability risk so long as the servers and cook staff aren't being discriminatory towards the AA guests vs any other groups. If all guests are allowed seating, access to enterprise and service then there isn't any undue harm.

The one exception would be if a big group of say 7+ came together to dine. Most places have rules and signage clearly stated that there is an automatic gratuity built in which in turn relieves the undue pressure on the server.

So legally, don't see it being an issue.

In terms of public opinion, you bet your last dollar that if I'm over public relations department of said restaurant, I'm partnering with Human Resources and the field team (Area Leader, District Manager and etc) to go ask the General Manager what in hell is going on in their restaurant. Because something like this give a bad remark towards the entire operating chain.

This is one of the reasons why Starbucks, CVS, Waffle House, etc... have taken strict actions on their leadership staff in the stores as well as invest in diversity awareness to educate and inform the employees what is and is not acceptable in their stores.
Agent220 is offline   Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 01:01 PM   #6
Agent220
Valued Poster

Encounters: 27

Now if you want to relate this to the hobby, since it is not sanctioned therefore moot point.
Agent220 is offline   Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 04:10 PM   #7
ztonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent220 View Post
To me this is something that should go into the Sandbox and not Co-Ed.
Good point; moved.

ztonk
ztonk is offline   Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 04:11 PM   #8
Kickrocks
Account Disabled

I read a study about this subject a long time ago. They said the main reason was lack of income and understanding about how these servers get paid.

If you can't tip then you don't go to a restaurant. I usually tip around 50% of the bill. I like seeing them light up when they see it.
Kickrocks is offline   Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 04:45 PM   #9
Treetop78759
Valued Poster

Encounters: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamAnthem View Post
Relying on tips as your main source of income means you don't value your time, and that's stupid. Maybe tell your friend to renegotiate her employment. Boom problem fixed
The problem has already been resolved without them people knowing. I was asking if it was legal.

Your response didn't surprise me since you are one of them type people. Change the way the entire service industry is structured versus doing the simple AA Shuffel.

Question. If someone in the service industry who depends on tips has no self value what does that say about YOUR self value? Selling $40 tricks out of a cheap hotel for a gold tooth pimp?

By the way, why don't you see your own type people? Is is because they are cheap or unpredictable and dangerous?
Treetop78759 is offline   Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 08:36 PM   #10
winn dixie
Valued Poster

winn dixie is offline   Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 10:42 PM   #11
Precious_b
Lifetime Premium Access

Encounters: 44

I would guess if you were to split up all ethnic groups (or however you divide up classes of people) to be evenly distributed to all areas of the restaurant, no legal grounds could one stand.
Precious_b is offline   Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 11:57 AM   #12
RamTheJam
Valued Poster

Encounters: 22

The "very good friend" is only a fantasy. He is describing himself here, and is just pissed from being fired from the Red Lobster ...bet.
RamTheJam is offline   Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 01:25 AM   #13
zencntr_01
Gaining Momentum

It's likely a violation of the Civil Rights Act. They should split the tips among all the waitstaff and not have to separate by race.

Separating customers by race, religion, gender, or likely sexual preference is very likely illegal.
zencntr_01 is offline   Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 01:56 PM   #14
Precious_b
Lifetime Premium Access

Encounters: 44

Zen, I know some places that do that. Everyone pools their tips and then it is distributed amongst the staff a certain percentage way.
Precious_b is offline   Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 09:36 AM   #15
Buck Fitches
BANNED

I used to work at a restaurant a long time ago. Yeah, every negative stereotype you hear about blacks behaving badly in restaurants is 100 percent true. Even the black wait staff hated dealing with black customers.

And I'm sure if you got a job as a cop, you would notice that black people behave badly everywhere, not just at restaurants.
Buck Fitches is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women