Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > Diamonds and Tuxedos
Diamonds and Tuxedos Glamour, elegance, and sophistication. That's what it's all about here in ECCIE's newest forum which caters to those with expensive tastes, lavish lifestyles, and an appetite for upscale entertainment.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 370
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 261
sharkman29 250
George Spelvin 244
Top Posters
DallasRain70365
biomed160204
Yssup Rider59821
gman4452833
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47409
pyramider46370
bambino40262
CryptKicker37054
Mokoa36482
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35112
Mojojo33117

Old 01-30-2011, 10:36 PM   #1
atlcomedy
Valued Poster

Default Chick Fil A, Gay Marriage & The Bloggers...

apologize for the link, but may provide context:

http://blogs.ajc.com/political-insid...-gay-marriage/

LSS, CFA has always been a very Christian Conservative/Bible Belt owned place...so much that all stores must be closed on Sunday (which considering many locations are in mall food courts is quite a statement backed up by action)...currently getting heat from gay rights groups for a franchisee's support (free food) of a pro-marriage event.

Discuss.

As for me, this is a great example of vote with your pocketbook...if you have strong feelings one way or another, patronize (or don't) businesses consistent with your values.

One footnote: one of the comments says "everyone is familiar" with CFA's views/practices. I'll agree they are well known in metro-Atlanta, but I think nationally, not so much...better known for good chicken sammies...

opco m:
atlcomedy is offline   Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:38 PM   #2
discreetgent
Valued Poster

Location: Even with a gorgeous avatar: Happiness is ephemeral

All I knew about them was that they are the only counter closed in a local food mall.
discreetgent is offline   Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:41 PM   #3
atlcomedy
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by discreetgent View Post
All I knew about them was that they are the only counter closed in a local food mall.
Until I moved here a decade or so ago, I was in the same place...

I used to think, "What kind of an idiot rents a mall food court location and isn't open on Sunday afternoon????"
Old 01-30-2011, 10:43 PM   #4
discreetgent
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlcomedy View Post
Until I moved here a decade or so ago, I was in the same place...

I used to think, "What kind of an idiot rents a mall food court location and isn't open on Sunday afternoon????"
I would guess they also need to negotiate a special deal with the mall operators. Typically there are certain hours a business in a mall must be open and I would be Sunday afternoon is one of them.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:45 PM   #5
London Rayne
Pending Age Verification

User ID: 21422
My ECCIE Reviews

Well technically it's hate the supposed sin and not the sinner. Not providing food to people who have values that don't match your own, would only prove how non-christian they are. I think they did the right thing. You are not going to get people to buy what you're saying by constantly preaching to them....you do that through actions not words. In other words, they showed people Jesus in this aspect.
London Rayne is offline   Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:48 PM   #6
atlcomedy
Valued Poster

Agreed. Regardless of what you think of their views/policies you have to admit it is a hell of a stand.

The good news for them is that about a half dozen or so property management firms run 80-90% of the major malls in America so it probably isn't as big of a deal to get the exception to close one would think....but 20-25 years ago probably was really tough to get (before they were the big brand they are today)
Old 01-31-2011, 12:26 AM   #7
Mazomaniac
Valued Poster

I got no problem with their stance on anything so long as they stay inside the lines of the law. So far they've done a pretty good of that. I know that they have been sued for discrimination in the past but from what I remember they always came out and "did the Christian thing" by making it right with the people involved.

I'm actually in an interesting position on this one as my personal religious views don't allow me to eat at their restaurants. They can't complain about me not spendin' my cash so I can't complain about them not wantin' it on Sundays.

I actually have a much bigger problem with companies like Covenant Transport where the drivers must display the company's pro-life messages on their truck. It's one thing to have a company that openly supports a religious or political viewpoint. It's another thing to force words into the mouths of your employees. That, IMHO, goes too far. If every copy of Microsoft Windows booted up with a pro-choice splash screen there'd be hell to pay from the right.

Maybe we should consider Lauren's other thread about corporations having no soul. If we don't allow them a soul then maybe they shouldn't have a political viewpoint either!

Cheers,
Mazo.
Mazomaniac is offline   Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:53 AM   #8
atlcomedy
Valued Poster

@mazo - re:Covenant

but if you know going into the deal displaying their messages* are part of the deal, how is that any different?

*I'm not familiar with them or their requirements, just making a general statement...
Old 01-31-2011, 01:25 AM   #9
Mazomaniac
Valued Poster

Quote:
@mazo - re:Covenant

but if you know going into the deal displaying their messages* are part of the deal, how is that any different?

*I'm not familiar with them or their requirements, just making a general statement...
(Just so we're all clear on it, all Covenant trucks have the slogan "It's not a choice, it's a child." painted on them.)

The problem I have with this argument is that it skirts the law. Under the Civil Rights Act you can't discriminate against employees based on religion. Covenant argues that the message is political and not religious so they get away with it.

But let's be serious here. The company calls itself a "faith-based" enterprise. It was founded by an evangelical preacher. It holds prayer meetings and bible studies for its employees on company grounds. You have to drive around with a pro-life message painted on the truck.

While all this doesn't expressly say "we only hire conservative Christians", it clearly send a message about what kind of people should be applying for a job. If that's not discrimination on the basis of religion then I don't know how much closer you can get.

Corporations - especially public ones like Covenant - enjoy the legal protections and tax advantages that society grants then. In exchange they have to live inside the rules society sets for them. That's all I ask of a company regardless of who owns it or what it does. Covenant, in my book, steps outside the lines and then lies through its teeth about the pro-life message not being religious orientated.

By forcing their employees to display this message and be associated with it - along with the company's other messages and practices - they are practicing de facto religious discrimination. That's where I have the problem. It's a legal issue for me, not a religious one.

Chick-fil-A does some of the same stuff but they make it absolutely clear that employees of all faiths are welcome and they've backed that up with their actions. They've apologized to and compensated people who experienced discrimination and fired the managers who were responsible for it. CFA may have it's viewpoint, but they exercise it with appropriate discretion and always stay inside the law. For that I give them total respect. Covenant, on the other hand, doesn't get anything from me. They're just blatantly avoiding their legal responsibilities AFAIC.

Cheers,
Mazo.
Mazomaniac is offline   Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 02:50 AM   #10
atlcomedy
Valued Poster

I don't care what the law is....

You (Maz0) & Tushy love to turn to the law when it suits you but talk about/invent arguments when it doesn't.

If a company says. "I will pay you x dollars per hour to walk around with a t-shirt that says 'I'm an Ass Clown'" & you take them up on their offer I don't have a problem with it. Same applies to Covenant. You know what you are getting into at the time of employ. If you don't want to drive a truck with their message, drive for another company. Nobody forces Kobe Bryant to wear Nike shoes....but given that he took their money he better...but he had a choice.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:25 AM   #11
London Rayne
Pending Age Verification

My ECCIE Reviews

Quote:
I don't care what the law is....

You (Maz0) & Tushy love to turn to the law when it suits you but talk about/invent arguments when it doesn't.

If a company says. "I will pay you x dollars per hour to walk around with a t-shirt that says 'I'm an Ass Clown'" & you take them up on their offer I don't have a problem with it. Same applies to Covenant. You know what you are getting into at the time of employ. If you don't want to drive a truck with their message, drive for another company. Nobody forces Kobe Bryant to wear Nike shoes....but given that he took their money he better...but he had a choice.
Yep!

That's like telling the Dallas Cowboys they have to hire 300 lb. cheerleaders lol..same with Hooters. Discrimination happens across the board in EVERY business...even this one, so it has nothing to do with being religious in most cases.

If you are told a co. only wants to hire Christian employess as many do, you have the choice to go with the flow or work elsewhere. No one is forcing their views on YOU, but if you want a job there you have to live up to certain standards. People want to work with like minded individuals that stand for what they believe in. If you work at Verizon and go in preaching T-Mobile products, you won't have a job very long. Many companies don't hire smokers either and that too is a form of discrimination...their business, their right.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:35 AM   #12
Bebe Le Strange
Account Disabled

User ID: 66305

Quote:
apologize for the link, but may provide context:

http://blogs.ajc.com/political-insid...-gay-marriage/

LSS, CFA has always been a very Christian Conservative/Bible Belt owned place...so much that all stores must be closed on Sunday (which considering many locations are in mall food courts is quite a statement backed up by action)...currently getting heat from gay rights groups for a franchisee's support (free food) of a pro-marriage event.

Discuss.

As for me, this is a great example of vote with your pocketbook...if you have strong feelings one way or another, patronize (or don't) businesses consistent with your values.

One footnote: one of the comments says "everyone is familiar" with CFA's views/practices. I'll agree they are well known in metro-Atlanta, but I think nationally, not so much...better known for good chicken sammies...

opco m:
From my understanding this company has always been a christian based business, and they close on sunday because the bible tells them not to work on the sabbath.

As far as opening up free food for people of faith that are married (as in the opposite sex only) that is in my view discrimination. I don't patronize that place at all.
Bebe Le Strange is offline   Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:00 AM   #13
discreetgent
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by London Rayne View Post
If you are told a co. only wants to hire Christian employess as many do, you have the choice to go with the flow or work elsewhere. No one is forcing their views on YOU, but if you want a job there you have to live up to certain standards.
Umm, no. A business cannot have a policy in which they hire only Christians or Muslims or Jews or Buddhists, etc. (Lets leave aside non-profit religious organizations for the moment). However, if I do take a job with Covenant then I better be ready to drive a truck with their signage on it.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:25 AM   #14
London Rayne
Pending Age Verification

My ECCIE Reviews

Uhhh you're wrong lol. Joyce Meyer Ministries ONLY hires Christian employees and they are not all together non-profit. They are a Christian owned company and only hire such individuals...that was my point.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:54 AM   #15
Bebe Le Strange
Account Disabled

User ID: 66305

Quote:
Originally Posted by London Rayne View Post
Uhhh you're wrong lol. Joyce Meyer Ministries ONLY hires Christian employees and they are not all together non-profit. They are a Christian owned company and only hire such individuals...that was my point.

There are in fact law firms within the US who will hire only christian lawyers.
Bebe Le Strange is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women