Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > Diamonds and Tuxedos
Diamonds and Tuxedos Glamour, elegance, and sophistication. That's what it's all about here in ECCIE's newest forum which caters to those with expensive tastes, lavish lifestyles, and an appetite for upscale entertainment.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 370
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 262
sharkman29 250
George Spelvin 244
Top Posters
DallasRain70380
biomed160286
Yssup Rider59844
gman4452863
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47426
pyramider46370
bambino40274
CryptKicker37064
Mokoa36485
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35144
Mojojo33117

Thread Closed

Old 01-31-2011, 09:29 AM   #16
Bebe Le Strange
Account Disabled

User ID: 66305

Quote:
Originally Posted by I B Hankering View Post
Dayum! and I thought I was posting on a literate board. Who mentioned Christianity? Who mentioned animism? The OP's post claimed all religion should be ended. My point is that Atheism is merely another religion. As such, it is no more verifiable than the extant religions of today or the extinct religions of the past. Plus, the OP then goes on to disassociate atheism from some of history’s most notable practitioners of atheism (@ Bebe Le Strange - BTW, you left out Karl Marx and Romania's Nicolae Ceausescu and some others. Care to enumerate how many have died or have been killed because of Marx’s atheistic beliefs?)

@ WTF You brought in the animist Mayans, and you did do in such a way as to suggest that they were happy in their beliefs. My point exactly. Thank you for your contribution to my argument.
In short, 809 million people have died in religious wars. That’s nearly a billion people. That is not counting the current wars over the past 10 years or so.

Conclusively, more people have died in the name of religion vs Atheism than in the name of Communism or (even Karl Marx and Romania's Nicolae Ceausescu) , the two combined times two.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:34 AM   #17
Sa_artman
Valued Poster

Encounters: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren Summerhill View Post
Opportunity for discussion is limited when one side is convinced that they are unquestionably correct, and the opposing side has nothing of value to offer except the opportunity to criticize anything they say - which is true whether you are an atheist or religious. It usually ends in beating a dead horse.
No truer words spoken. It's like yelling at a mirror.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:39 AM   #18
Iaintliein
Valued Poster

Encounters: 2

BLS
I think you confuse cause and effect. Religion has been the excuse for many, many wars, but the "cause" of none. The people in power use it as a lever to control those who do the killing and dieing.

I admit I've not read all of the lengthy posts, but, I think it can be summed up more simply. The most dangerous thing in the world is the denial of self determination by those who embrace some form of "group think" be it bronze age mysticism, iron age mythology, nineteenth century political ideology, or new age global warming fairy tales.

As long as people of high intelligence lust for power and people of low intelligence prefer servitude to thinking for themselves we will be precisely where we are now.

The externalization of human evolution via technology should not confuse anyone into believing that we are somehow more advanced than our ancestors who squatted in caves and scribbled non-sense on dried sheep skins.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:52 AM   #19
I B Hankering
Valued Poster

Encounters: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bebe Le Strange View Post
In short, 809 million people have died in religious wars. That’s nearly a billion people. That is not counting the current wars over the past 10 years or so.
It’s estimated that about 151 million people have died with the advance of atheistic communism since 1917 (that’s a little less than 100 years – religions have been documented as existing for at least 4,000 years now. Hmmm, makes you wonder). Another question, did your source include this number? If not, the death toll of religious wars (including those atheistically inspired) should be 960 million.

http://www.digitalsurvivors.com/archives/communistbodycount.php
Old 01-31-2011, 09:53 AM   #20
Guest053011
Account Disabled

User ID: 4424

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaintliein View Post
BLS
I think you confuse cause and effect. Religion has been the excuse for many, many wars, but the "cause" of none. The people in power use it as a lever to control those who do the killing and dieing.

I admit I've not read all of the lengthy posts, but, I think it can be summed up more simply. The most dangerous thing in the world is the denial of self determination by those who embrace some form of "group think" be it bronze age mysticism, iron age mythology, nineteenth century political ideology, or new age global warming fairy tales.

As long as people of high intelligence lust for power and people of low intelligence prefer servitude to thinking for themselves we will be precisely where we are now.

The externalization of human evolution via technology should not confuse anyone into believing that we are somehow more advanced than our ancestors who squatted in caves and scribbled non-sense on dried sheep skins.
Well stated. Remove religion, and you do not remove violence, oppression and war, which means it is not the cause, merely one tool selected amongst many available. The purveyors of death, fear, chaos, power and destruction will simply find a different tool.

Heck, Darwinism was quite nicely twisted into Social Darwinism, and when combined with industrialism was the death of millions and nearly the annihilation of a people - a people despised for their religious beliefs and culture.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:11 AM   #21
I B Hankering
Valued Poster

Quote:
Remove religion, and you do not remove violence, oppression and war, which means it is not the cause, merely one tool selected amongst many available. The purveyors of death, fear, chaos, power and destruction will simply find a different tool.
+1

I agree with Iaintliein’s recapitulation.

But if you remove religion, you are probably also removing the only tool most people have to cope with violence, oppression and war, and the purveyors of death, fear, chaos, power and destruction.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:16 AM   #22
Guest053011
Account Disabled

Quote:

I agree with Iaintliein’s recapitulation.

But if you remove religion, you are probably also removing the only tool most people have to cope with violence, oppression and war, and the purveyors of death, fear, chaos, power and destruction.
No one is in more need of "irrational" hope, then those who have been victims of darkness.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:22 AM   #23
I B Hankering
Valued Poster

Quote:
No one is in more need of "irrational" hope.
And those nearing death whether from age or disease. Remember your words.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:24 AM   #24
Guest053011
Account Disabled

Quote:
And those nearing death whether from age or disease. Remember your words.
I know better then to turn my back on hope - even when times are smooth and comfortable
Old 01-31-2011, 10:30 AM   #25
Bebe Le Strange
Account Disabled

User ID: 66305

Quote:
It’s estimated that about 151 million people have died with the advance of atheistic communism since 1917 (that’s a little less than 100 years – religions have been documented as existing for at least 4,000 years now. Hmmm, makes you wonder). Another question, did your source include this number? If not, the death toll of religious wars (including those atheistically inspired) should be 960 million.
Nazi Germany had "God with us" engraved in German on the belts of Nazi soldiers

Are you including in those numbers the deaths attributed to religion and it's advocacy of not using condoms around the world? The HIV / AIDS epidemic, the HPV (human papiloma virus) and cervical cancer?

Are you including the deaths attributed to not allowing someone the right to abort a fetus because it is against God's will even if it is detrimental possibly fatal to the mother?

How about the atrocious amount of deaths from the Serbians, Croats and Bosnians over religion and the genocides committed?

What about the killings and deaths in the middle east whose direct cause was related to their Muslim beliefs?

What about the beliefs barring embryonic stem-cell research that could save lives?

I guess I could try to research actual numbers, but I do believe you are not including everything in yours.

There is so much more I could include, but simply do not have the time to. As time does not permit me as I have to go to work!
Old 01-31-2011, 11:03 AM   #26
I B Hankering
Valued Poster

Quote:
Nazi Germany had "God with us" engraved in German on the belts of Nazi soldiers
“Gott mit Uns”—God with us. I know that. You’re the one who suggested Hitler was an atheist??!!

Quote:
Are you including the deaths attributed to not allowing someone the right to abort a fetus because it is against God's will even if it is detrimental possibly fatal to the mother?
Now you’re bringing in abortions? WTH? Yet, if I were to tabulate how many children died as a result of abortion and compared it to the number of woman who died because they couldn’t get an abortion; well, I’m guessing you’d know which number is substantially higher. And my stance on abortion is neither here nor there in regards to my statements about your original post.

Quote:
How about the atrocious amount of deaths from the Serbians, Croats and Bosnians over religion and the genocides committed?
Quote:

What about the killings and deaths in the middle east whose direct cause was related to their Muslim beliefs?
Maybe I’ve been unclear, atheism is a belief system: a religion. Every atrocity you put at religion’s doorstep is another indictment against atheism as well. Every atrocity you ascribe to another religion can be matched by one similar in nature but perpetrated by atheists. Simply arguing that other religions have caused more deaths does not excuse the deaths caused by atheist. BTW, as I pointed out in an earlier post, atheist are quickly closing that numbers gap.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:15 AM   #27
Guest053011
Account Disabled

Quote:
Maybe I’ve been unclear, atheism is a belief system: a religion. Every atrocity you put at religion’s doorstep is another indictment against atheism as well. Every atrocity you ascribe to another religion can be matched by one similar in nature but perpetrated by atheists. Simply arguing that other religions have caused more deaths does not excuse the deaths caused by atheist. BTW, as I pointed out in an earlier post, atheist are quickly closing that numbers gap.
You know the very word "religion" to an atheist system is upsetting if that atheist is someone who is intolerant. Even if it isn't a religion, it is a belief. A belief that God does not exist. It is a belief, because one cannot prove or disprove God. All we have are theories. No proof of existence, is not proof of non-existence: often spoken by scientist when discussing the possibility of intelligent life or multi-cellular organisms and thriving organic planets.

And so anyone that suggests they have a definitive answer on the subject is naive - regardless of which side you argue.

Even if people argue atheism isn't a religion - which is irrelevant - the truth is, many die at the hands of those with no belief in God. You are most correct, it is closing the gap - at a much faster pace, thanks to the destructive capabilities of modern technology and the inherent greed of capitalism.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:24 AM   #28
I B Hankering
Valued Poster

Quote:
You know the very word "religion" to an atheist system is upsetting if that atheist is someone who is intolerant. Even if it isn't a religion, it is a belief. A belief that God does not exist. It is a belief, because one cannot prove or disprove God. All we have are theories. No proof of existence, is not proof of non-existence: often spoken by scientist when discussing the possibility of intelligent life or multi-cellular organisms and thriving organic planets.

And so anyone that suggests they have a definitive answer on the subject is naive - regardless of which side you argue.

Even if people argue atheism isn't a religion - which is irrelevant - the truth is, many die at the hands of those with no belief in God. You are most correct, it is closing the gap - at a much faster pace, thanks to the destructive capabilities of modern technology and the inherent greed of capitalism.
+1
The atheist who chooses not to believe and sits quietly at home has a personal belief. The atheist—who dictates that all others should not believe—is peddling a religion.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:29 AM   #29
Guest053011
Account Disabled

Quote:
+1
The atheist who chooses not to believe and sits quietly at home has a personal belief. The atheist—who dictates that all others should not believe—is peddling a religion.
They are attempting to convert someone to their own belief - it is the active attempt to change someones belief systems and culture to match your own under the belief that yours is superior and the only correct way to think, that is disrespectful and dangerous.

I would also go as far as to suggest, that there are those who used religion to kill people, had no belief in God at all, merely wanted to manipulated the masses with a concept they found laughable. Which would be the lowest form of human being.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:40 AM   #30
WTF
Lifetime Premium Access

Default I B, you are confused, I think Religion has its place in society.

Quote:
@ WTF You brought in the animist Mayans, and you did so in such a way as to suggest that they were happy in their beliefs. My point exactly. Thank you for your contribution to my argument.
A child is Happy with the Easter Bunny and Santa Clause.

My point is that there isn't a lick of difference between worshipping the Sun God or the Christian God.

I would not try and convert either....can your religion say the same?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sa_artman View Post
No truer words spoken. It's like yelling at a mirror.
Hey thats some folks favorite place to look!
Thread Closed

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women