Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > Diamonds and Tuxedos
Diamonds and Tuxedos Glamour, elegance, and sophistication. That's what it's all about here in ECCIE's newest forum which caters to those with expensive tastes, lavish lifestyles, and an appetite for upscale entertainment.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 370
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 261
sharkman29 250
George Spelvin 244
Top Posters
DallasRain70365
biomed160204
Yssup Rider59821
gman4452834
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47408
pyramider46370
bambino40262
CryptKicker37054
Mokoa36482
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35112
Mojojo33117

Thread Closed

Old 06-03-2010, 04:52 PM   #16
oden
Valued Poster

For meals I'm generally in the 15%-20% range but I always try to leave the tip in cash, even if I pay for the meal by credit card. That way the server gets it immediately and doesn't get hit with the processing charge.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:10 PM   #17
charlestudor2005
Valued Poster

Encounters: 8

Restaurants are an entirely different category. Several lifetimes ago, I roomed with a guy who ran away from home at 16 and had made his living for years as a waiter. He routinely made higher tips that any other waitresses/waiters with whom he worked. Each night he had to "tip out." Tipping out was a system where wait staff combined all their tips for the day. A portion of those tips were then given to the cooks, the dishwashers, the table clearing staff, the hostesses/hosts, and all the assorted support personnel on which the wait staff had to rely. So, your tip doesn't go just to the waiter who served you, but helps to support the whole restaurant. Restaurants are able to pay a lot less than the minimum wage on the theory that the difference is made up in tips. And the tips are shared.

Plz. see comments below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliviaHoward View Post
· Restaurants- I round up the nearest multiple of five and then tip twenty to twenty-five percent at a restaurant I tip 20-25%
· Lunch-type Restaurants - where the bill is never over eight or nine dollars, I have a minimum tip of $3.50 Same 20-25%
· Valet - $5.00 I never use a valet...I can do a lot myself.
· Hairdresser – I get a cut and a color (about an hour and a half) $20.00 15%
· Take Out Delivered - $5.00 or 20% whichever is larger usually in cash.20%
· Take Out Picked Up - $3.50 (My minimum tip) I never do this.
· Maid in Hotel - $10.00 per day I used to tip $2 a day until I realized housekeeping was hitting my room for the tip then moving on w/o doing my room. Now I tip nothing. I tend to stay 30-60 days at a time.
· Starbucks or Tip Jar Places – Whatever change I get back.
I can’t think of anywhere else I tip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
Barber--$3 on a $10 haircut (my hair is too rebellious to rate a stylist).

Skycap--$2 per bag + extra if they ignore an overweight bag. $1 per bag.

Takeout delivered--$3-$4 or 20%, whichever is greater. More if it's winter & the roads are bad. about the same.

Waitress--20-25% of the pre-tax total, including wine. about the same.

Hotel housekeeper--$5-$10/day, depending on how much I trashed the room. See above.

Bellhop--$3 per bag. $1 a bag; same as skycap. I prefer to lug my own to the room.

Valet--$5. I never use valet.

Cabbie--20-25% of the fare or $5, whichever is greater. I like to get good service from cabbies, so I double fares up to $15, while I go about 25-40% above that.

Concierge--Variable, depending on what he/she did. Scoring a reservation at a restaurant that's booked for the next 6 weeks and that the lady I'm with really wants to go to--$50. Never use.

Masseuse (therapeutic deep tissue massage, not hobby related)--$20-$40 depending on how wobbly I am afterward. I never spend this kind of money on myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren Summerhill View Post
I will almost never tip less then $5, even on a $5 cab ride, or $7 check at a cafe or $10 pizza delivery. Agreed.

I generally give 15-20%, but will tip more if they were somehow exceptional. Agreed.

I tip my shoe repair guy about $5 a pair of shoes. If I sent in multiple I tip $4 a pair. I'm not that wedded to my shoes.

I tip may hair dresser/masseuse/esthetician/maid $20, regardless of the cost. I will give more if that doesn't cover 15%. I never use this.

I worked in services oriented business and appreciate that they earn a modest living and may have a family to support - and that I earn a comfortable one. It's my little way of helping others out when I'm doing well. My father worked as a driver at nights when we first arrived as refugees, even though he was still working days in a factory - despite his advanced education. I have great empathy for immigrants in service work.

If I've had a particularly profitable date, I do tend to tip excessively for the next couple of days.

I am ashamed to say I often forget to tip a doorman for flagging down a cab for me or getting my bags... That's what the Christmas bonus is for. And it is usually quite high.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:12 PM   #18
Katy Alexander
Pending Age Verification

User ID: 6173
Default What about auto mechanics??

I had new tires put on my car a couple of days ago,and I noticed a man tipping one of the mechanics there.Is it normal to tip your mechanic? I never thought of it before yesterday. I also wonder about contractors. I tipped the man who put the floor in my condo, but was told by others that I shouldn't.

In general I usually tip well if I feel that they have under charged for their services.I also tip very well if my dog is involved such as a cab driver who is willing to take us, or a pet friendly hotel. I want to encourage them to allow dogs in more places.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:59 PM   #19
Ansley
Pending Age Verification

User ID: 499
My ECCIE Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlcomedy View Post
Oh, another one of particular interest: You order take out from a nice, sit-down restaurant. What if anything is the appropriate tip? Particularly since you are giving the tip to the bartender or hostess that really provided no service other than ringing your order into the register and taking your money.
Most of the time those orders go through the bartender. I will be the first to admit that I didn't like to go orders. It was part of the job, so I would grin and bear it. Bartenders are payed quite a bit more than a server because we deal with other things. I wouldn't tip as much as you would a server. However keep in mind that those sales are the bartender's. Also you only see us hand you the bag. Ultimately we are responsible for the contents, our bar routine is disrupted and that to go order will take time away from the bar tipping guests. So yes, a tip for us handing you that bag is appreciated.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:19 PM   #20
69er
Lifetime Premium Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliviaHoward View Post
I don’t tip masseuses though. To me it’s outside the “hairdresser / manicurist” realm. Maybe I’m wrong.
No Tip for the Masseuse?

You're missing out on the "Happy Ending"!
Old 06-03-2010, 08:29 PM   #21
oden
Valued Poster

The one tip I won't make is at a Starbucks. I don't drink their coffee but am forced to buy the stuff for family members. What would have been a jar for charities at the cash register or drive through has been replaced by a tip jar.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:44 PM   #22
Ansley
Pending Age Verification

My ECCIE Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky View Post
I had new tires put on my car a couple of days ago,and I noticed a man tipping one of the mechanics there.Is it normal to tip your mechanic?
I surely hope not. Being a female I feel vulnerable taking my car in to be serviced. I'm not about to tip for that yucky feeling.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:50 PM   #23
charlestudor2005
Valued Poster

Encounters: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansley View Post
I surely hope not. Being a female I feel vulnerable taking my car in to be serviced. I'm not about to tip for that yucky feeling.
Common technique: have a man take your car in. Even if he knows nothing, he's way ahead than a female. If he knows basics, then you're that much better.

There's more than one way to skin a cat. [or a dog, but I know neither of you want to think about that...]
Old 06-03-2010, 09:23 PM   #24
Ansley
Pending Age Verification

My ECCIE Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlestudor2005 View Post
Common technique: have a man take your car in. Even if he knows nothing, he's way ahead than a female. If he knows basics, then you're that much better.

There's more than one way to skin a cat. [or a dog, but I know neither of you want to think about that...]
In the past I haven't always had a man to go with me. Cars tend to break down at the most inconvenient times. And you can't exactly ask somebody to leave work to come help. Over the years I have learned to figure things out on my own. I remember I had a flat tire and didn't know how to change a tire. My girlfriend suggested to get a guy to help me. All they would do is pay for somebody to do it for me. I can do that on my own. Since then I have always had AAA. What a great service!
Old 06-04-2010, 06:29 AM   #25
Meeshee
Pending Age Verification

User ID: 13979

In restaurants, I normally tip 15-20% of the bill. If the service is exceptional and/or the server is very engaging, I will tip more. I've heard that you shouldn't tip the owner of a business but that feels awkward if it's say, your hair stylist who's the owner. In that case I still tip and include the assistants.

I firmly believe in tipping service that involves hard work like valet parking guys/girls, cleaning service and hired help. Those people are so under appreciated and often neglected or disrespected and that makes me feel just terrible. I tip quite a bit in that case because I feel that often they have families and a little goes a long way: $5 for me might be $500 for them. I remember when I waited tables in a previous life and every penny counted.

I do however, think that Americans are 'tip happy'. That's not such a bad thing.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:34 PM   #26
LynetteMarie
Pending Age Verification

User ID: 3412
My ECCIE Reviews

Living in Vegas changes all of the tipping rules! Take valet parking, for instance. In most cities, hotel valet parking is $20+dollars/night. In Vegas, it is "complimentary." But that also means you could be left waiting for 30 minutes in 112 degree heat waiting for your vehicle if you don't hand your valet person at least 10$ ahead of time.

For the hotel maid, I make note of his/her name ahead of time by paying attention to the card left on the nightstand or calling the front desk and inquiring. I had one maid comment on the delicious candle I had burning and left her the the extra one in my suitcase (never used of course!) along with a few more dollars with a note saying, "Thanks for cleaning up after me!" I keep things pretty lighthearted with my thank you notes.

I tip everybody as long as I feel I received good service--which is, thankfully, always!--including my wonderful massage therapists, aestheticians, dog sitters, pool cleaners and photographers!
AND I want to add that I have become friends with most of these people who "take care" of me. However, I've never tipped a doctor, nor have become friends with one (technically unethical anyhow.)
Old 06-07-2010, 04:31 AM   #27
Meeshee
Pending Age Verification

User ID: 13979

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynetteMarie View Post
Living in Vegas changes all of the tipping rules! Take valet parking, for instance. In most cities, hotel valet parking is $20+dollars/night. In Vegas, it is "complimentary." But that also means you could be left waiting for 30 minutes in 112 degree heat waiting for your vehicle if you don't hand your valet person at least 10$ ahead of time.

For the hotel maid, I make note of his/her name ahead of time by paying attention to the card left on the nightstand or calling the front desk and inquiring. I had one maid comment on the delicious candle I had burning and left her the the extra one in my suitcase (never used of course!) along with a few more dollars with a note saying, "Thanks for cleaning up after me!" I keep things pretty lighthearted with my thank you notes.

I tip everybody as long as I feel I received good service--which is, thankfully, always!--including my wonderful massage therapists, aestheticians, dog sitters, pool cleaners and photographers!
AND I want to add that I have become friends with most of these people who "take care" of me. However, I've never tipped a doctor, nor have become friends with one (technically unethical anyhow.)
There are some people out there who drive big, shiny cars, could afford to tip small salaries but instead hand over $1 or $2 to the valet parking guy who just jogged 2 miles in freezing weather to deliver his/her car. How tacky and humiliating is that? I've been in situations before where the same character type left a similarly skinny tip to the server. I reached into my pocket book for extra cash to supplement the embarrassing tip.

I do believe in the notion of paying it forward - tipping and/or complimenting where it isn't expected. It can make a person's day to know that they are appreciated. That makes me happy and in turn invites good karma.

As a photographer, I don't expect to be tipped. And in the cases where I have been tipped I was so flattered. In fact, some of my clients have shown extreme generosity which to me shows a sign of good character and that I have succeeded with my job.

It's funny as Lynette said that sometimes tipping can get tricky as in the parking politics of Vegas. I've experienced that first hand. lol. But I think this is an issue of 'what money can buy' rather than tipping.

All in all, this is a good thread and one that has left me more conscious and generous in my tipping habits!
Old 06-07-2010, 05:51 AM   #28
Tiffany Cums
Account Disabled

User ID: 5290
My ECCIE Reviews

I had gone out to dinner many time having to tip for the man also because he got up and left the table with little or nothing left. I think it tells a lot about the man....I always remember them.
Old 06-07-2010, 06:49 AM   #29
nevergaveitathought
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky View Post
I had new tires put on my car a couple of days ago,and I noticed a man tipping one of the mechanics there.Is it normal to tip your mechanic?

they work using the chilton book....so they are getting theirs
Old 06-07-2010, 07:09 AM   #30
pjorourke
Valued Poster

Encounters: 1

Some of the tire places (e.g., Tire Kingdom) will check/adjust the pressure in your tires at no charge. I usually tip the guy that actually does it.
Thread Closed

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women