Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > A Question of Legality
A Question of Legality Post your legal questions here (general, nothing of a personal nature)

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 370
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 262
sharkman29 250
George Spelvin 244
Top Posters
DallasRain70383
biomed160296
Yssup Rider59847
gman4452865
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47428
pyramider46370
bambino40275
CryptKicker37064
Mokoa36485
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35149
Mojojo33117

Old 03-21-2012, 01:53 PM   #1
ferg576
Valued Poster

Default illegal video?

True story in Texas. Sting operation in adjoining hotel rooms. LE uses a provider as a confidential informant and bait As clients come in the room, the encounter is video and audio taped and used as evidence for prosecution. I get how they use the CI to get around the warrant requirement, but, taping in a hotel room? Even in Texas, where only one party has to know about the video, I would think a hotel room would be a place like a dressing room or bathroom where video would be prohibited. Any thoughts? And, if the taping was illegal, would that not make the fruits of the taping inadmissible?

10 unfortunates fell victim to this, however none went to trial ad they all plead out their cases.
ferg576 is offline   Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 03:18 PM   #2
iINDULGE
Valued Poster

Encounters: 40

Your hotel room would be illegal, in most respects without a warrant; however, the provider's hotel room would not fall into the realm of inadmissible evidence.
iINDULGE is offline   Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:42 PM   #3
ShysterJon
Valued Poster

Encounters: 1

No offense, but there is absolutely nothing remarkable about LE video- and audio-taping a suspect in a room they control.
ShysterJon is offline   Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:53 PM   #4
Marcus78
Premium Access

Encounters: 50

Quote:
No offense, but there is absolutely nothing remarkable about LE video- and audio-taping a suspect in a room they control.
I agree with SJ on this one. Now, if it were YOUR room or your house, then you may have a claim. But in a sting operation, they're setting up the room along with the surveillance. I don't see that evidence being ruled as inadmissible.
Marcus78 is offline   Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 03:03 PM   #5
ferg576
Valued Poster

Ok, got it. Now, one more question. During the small talk, the CI offers a sexual service for a fee. At that moment, has LE, or a person commited a crime in order to obtain evidence agsint the perp? TxCCP 38.23. And as a reminder, there is no warrant.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:02 PM   #6
ShysterJon
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhutch9 View Post
Ok, got it. Now, one more question. During the small talk, the CI offers a sexual service for a fee. At that moment, has LE, or a person commited a crime in order to obtain evidence agsint the perp? TxCCP 38.23. And as a reminder, there is no warrant.
No, because the CI doesn't have the intent to commit the crime. Warrants have absolutely nothing to do with your hypothetical.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:43 PM   #7
ferg576
Valued Poster

That probably explains why everyone took a deal. A non-disclosure order is way better than a conviction. Hypotheticaly of course. Thx for the insight
Old 03-23-2012, 05:13 AM   #8
ck1942
Meet & Greet Organizer

Encounters: 181

"the CI offers a sexual service for a fee...."

My take, I would immediately decline and leave the scene.

Likely I might get away with that since no criminal act was committed on my part.

However, real world, likely LE would just as likely arrest me for just being there and let the court system sort things out.

My understand of the Texas law is that the elements of the crime are

1) the offer of sex for money, or
2) the offer of money for sex

And the person making (or accepting) such offer is committing the crime.

Just being there -- could possibly be the basis for a criminal charge of "intent" somehow....but the videotape won't show the 1) or 2) above....

LE in San Antonio several years ago set up a sting.... using Craigs List and the lovely pictured there was present in the room when the prospective clients arrived... according to several aspd-ers who showed up, she made no offers, however, waiting for the john to ask about rates. Bingo, out came the steel bracelets. Several gents made "small talk" but nothing about service nor rates and after a few minutes listened to their guts and departed....

LE operates in several modes, so the above might not happen in say, Arlington or other states and cities.

Best to always do your research up front and carefully and listen to the big head only.
ck1942 is offline   Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:11 PM   #9
ShysterJon
Valued Poster

ck1942, I agree with everything you wrote (and it's always great to read your posts here). Just for completeness, there are four ways a person can commit the crime of prostitution under Texas Law:

(1) making an offer,
(2) accepting an offer, or
(3) soliciting a person in a public place

to engage in sexual conduct for a fee, or

(4) engaging in sexual conduct for a fee.

Nearly all the cases I've handled involved type (1) or (2). If the hobbyist or provider declines to talk about money or a particular sex act, it's highly unlikely they'll be charged with prostitution. Only being in a place where prostitution may take place (such as your everyday Holiday Inn) isn't enough to be charged with prostitution -- there is no such thing as intent to commit prostitution. However, being at a place where prostitution is notorious and ongoing -- Harry Hines Boulevard is the obvious example in Dallas -- could lead one to be cited for manifestation of prostitution, a Class C misdemeanor / fine only offense.
Old 03-23-2012, 02:12 PM   #10
Likinikki
Pending Age Verification

User ID: 7867
My ECCIE Reviews

Thanks for the info everyone! Never use an adjoining room!
Likinikki is offline   Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 03:45 PM   #11
Maxx
Valued Poster

Encounters: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likinikki View Post
Thanks for the info everyone! Never use an adjoining room!
Isn't that where Chris Hansen and John Stossel would hang out, in the adjoining room, until the appropriate moment then surprise!
Maxx is offline   Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:03 PM   #12
Guest121212
Account Disabled

User ID: 6416
My ECCIE Reviews

Actually, I believe the posters in this thread mean to say a conjoining room (a room connected via a door or other passage). Adjoining simply means they share a wall, it doesn't necessarily mean they have a passage between them. After a thirty minute miscommunication with a booking agent in India for an online hotel site, I finally realized that they train their staff to speak specifically, and I was making the same error, asking the agent for a non-adjoining room, when in fact I meant I did not want a conjoined room. That poor fellow in India kept telling me that all the rooms were next to each other and were adjoining. The agent escalated my call twice before the supervisor finally understood that a conjoining room is commonly referred to as an "adjoining room" in some areas of the US. That call was a nightmare, but using the word conjoining since has saved me time in other bookings and ensures that there is absolutely no misunderstanding with the hotel.

I don't mean to come off like a grammar bitch, I just thought I would pass it along so other ladies that travel might benefit from the tip.

Kisses,

- Jackie
Guest121212 is offline   Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:37 AM   #13
Bigh1955
Valued Poster

Encounters: 30

I've looked into this on several occassions - I'm a bit paranoid when it comes to this issue, as Jackie can attest.

The legality of recording is dependent on a number of issues: location and "ownership" of where the recordings are made factor heavily into the outcome in rights and/or expectation of privacy decisions. In a public forum of any sort there is no right to expect privacy. If a provider is in an outcall situation she/he has little or no right to expect privacy - legally as the location belongs to someone else. The opposite holds true in the case of incall for clients. In the case of hotels, if the owner or their designated representative express concern to the authorities that criminal activity is being conducted on their property, the requirement for a warrant is lessened or eliminated as they are the owners and give their permission. You may be renting the room, but that does not guarantee privacy if you are suspected of engaging in criminal activity. BTW, conjoining rooms aren't needed to walk in on you. Every guestroom can be accessed in a hotel even if the security bar or chain is locked. Duplicate electronic keys are easily made and for safety and security reasons the hotels have special devices to open the security locks. I've seen it done...it took about 5 seconds.
Bigh1955 is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women