Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > A Question of Legality
A Question of Legality Post your legal questions here (general, nothing of a personal nature)

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 398
Jon Bon 385
Harley Diablo 373
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 262
sharkman29 250
George Spelvin 246
Top Posters
DallasRain70404
biomed160475
Yssup Rider59901
gman4452916
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling47509
pyramider46370
bambino40307
CryptKicker37079
Mokoa36485
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35317
Mojojo33117

Old 01-02-2015, 12:30 PM   #1
Whispers
Hope I haven't bored you!

Encounters: 22
Default Uniforms for Employees vs discrimination laws

I recently had a club manager mention a planned requirement for the dancers that work there to wear a certain outfit that would intentionally only be available in certain sizes.

It awakened an idea I had years ago for a an approach to staffing and I've wondered what opinions are available on the legality of a couple of potential "policies". I am considering returning to the night club industry within the next year or so and have been looking at different concepts.

One part of a club experience envisioned would include an all female staff (visible) where the staff would fit in the category of "spinners".

a) Can you exclude certain applicants based on physical size if it is a part of the marketing approach of the club?

b) Can a uniform for employees to wear that is only available in certain sizes. i.e 0-4 be required?

c) Could a requirement that any ink they have must be completely covered by the uniform with no allowed accessories work?

d) Would a requirement that limits jewelery worn to a single bracelet, watch and basic stud and dangling earrings (limited in size) limited to no more than two per ear and limited in size to avoid "guaged" ears be workable?

Any answers to these questions only need to be relevant to Texas and feel free to PM or email me.
Whispers is offline   Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 08:25 AM   #2
ShysterJon
Valued Poster

Encounters: 1

Two principles are involved here. First, an employer is allowed to impose rules in the workplace, as long as the rules don't run afoul of federal, state, or local laws regulating workplaces. Texas state courts have held that employers' workplace rules don't even have to be reasonable.

Second, federal, state, and local laws bar discrimination based on an immutable trait, such as gender, age, disability, national origin, religion, and race. Increasingly, laws are coming into effect barring discrimination based on sexual orientation. In addition, there are laws barring discrimination for doing jury duty, filing a claim for workers compensation, refusing to perform an illegal act, or whistleblowing, among others. A worker may also have rights based on an employment contract or because they're in a union with a collective bargaining agreement. With the exception of one state (see below), I know of no federal, state, or local law barring discrimination based on weight.

Female employees of breastaurants and strip clubs have filed lawsuits arguing weight and uniform requirements were discriminatory based on gender and weight. Probably the most well-known of these lawsuits was filed in May 2010 in a state court in Michigan after after an employee was given a job performance review and was told that her shirt and short size could use some improvement. To my knowledge, Michigan is the only state that bans weight discrimination in hiring. The lawsuit was settled out of court. I know of no lawsuit in which the plaintiff successfully argued a weight discrimination claim to a verdict.

With the foregoing in mind, the following are my answers to your questions:

a) Can you exclude certain applicants based on physical size if it is a part of the marketing approach of the club?

Yes.

b) Can a uniform for employees to wear that is only available in certain sizes. i.e 0-4 be required?

Yes.

c) Could a requirement that any ink they have must be completely covered by the uniform with no allowed accessories work?

Could such a workplace rule "work"? Sure, such a rule could be effective within the realm of possibilities. But I think you mean would such a rule be legal. My answer is "yes." There are no laws barring discrimination against people with tattoos. By "accessories" you might mean piercings. There are no laws barring discrimination against people with piercings.

d) Would a requirement that limits jewelery worn to a single bracelet, watch and basic stud and dangling earrings (limited in size) limited to no more than two per ear and limited in size to avoid "guaged" ears be workable?

See my answer to question 'c.'

Finally, some of the confusion regarding discrimination in the workplace might stem from a layperson's misunderstanding of what is 'discrimination' under the law. I may prefer slender women as companions because I have 'discriminating' tastes. I may date only Hispanic girls because I bear a discriminatory animus against members of other races. But my conduct obviously wouldn't constitute 'workplace discrimination.' Laws regarding workplace discrimination are very specific regarding which immutable traits are covered, and the basis of such laws is that, as a society, we don't allow discrimination based on an immutable trait in PUBLIC (as opposed to private) dealings.
ShysterJon is offline   Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 10:13 PM   #3
Whispers
Hope I haven't bored you!

Encounters: 22

Thank-you for the response.
Whispers is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women